'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7553 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#5555 Feb 11, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
I can overlook those mistakes sometimes but you happen to make them a lot. Are you just not that good at spelling?
I think you have me confused with someone else.
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#5556 Feb 12, 2014
Joyce wrote:
<quoted text>

What a jerk you are WFO. First off if you have so much wealth I saw a post claiming you had mega millions then you and your wife should be paying your way and not expecting the middle class or working poor to subsidized your healthcare. The American taxpayer has been drained enough by the wealthy 1% like yourself.

In case you have been out of the loop for a decade then you have to be aware of our national debt issue. Why make it worse?
Some interesting observations you have there.
Firstly, retaining only $50M isn't a mega millions fortune.
Secondly, I shamelessly take advantage of all tax breaks and subsidies.
Purchased politicians have their uses.
Thirdly, a big national debt is a good thing. It only effects the commoners.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#5557 Feb 12, 2014
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>Some interesting observations you have there.
Firstly, retaining only $50M isn't a mega millions fortune.
Secondly, I shamelessly take advantage of all tax breaks and subsidies.
Purchased politicians have their uses.
Thirdly, a big national debt is a good thing. It only effects the commoners.
It doesn't matter how much money you have darlin...your lazy ass is still a commoner ;-)
Shakkal

Tahlequah, OK

#5558 Feb 12, 2014
It's true... They've killed more people than any other group. More hate based groups have risen from the 'christian' doctrine than any other source. They justify acts of barbarism and immorality by citing obscure (and often contradictory) passages from an assemblage of text, put together at the order of a pagan emperor (I'm sorry I should use the more common quoted name for these works - the word of god... aka the bible). Did you know the very passage used to justify killing gay men is followed by a passage saying eating shellfish is equally as bad? When's the last time these hypocritical hate mongers killed someone for walking out of Red Lobster?
So yes, christians do more...
JPL

United States

#5559 Feb 12, 2014
Shakkal wrote:
It's true... They've killed more people than any other group. More hate based groups have risen from the 'christian' doctrine than any other source. They justify acts of barbarism and immorality by citing obscure (and often contradictory) passages from an assemblage of text, put together at the order of a pagan emperor (I'm sorry I should use the more common quoted name for these works - the word of god... aka the bible). Did you know the very passage used to justify killing gay men is followed by a passage saying eating shellfish is equally as bad? When's the last time these hypocritical hate mongers killed someone for walking out of Red Lobster?
So yes, christians do more...
No a true Christian would not behave in that manner. A true Christian is Christ-like and Jesus Christ did not behave in that manner. It's true many horrible evils have been perpetrated in the name of religion(Christian, Muslim, two well known+others) which has been well documented. The Holy Bible warns of false prophets and I would suggest that people who engage in these acts of violence are not true Christians following in the example of Jesus Christ.

You look to the Muslim religion and we see horrible acts of violence against women, gays or those who are infidels. Yet Muslims will tell you their religion is one of peace how can that be? Is it the perversion, the manipulation of the Koran that mullahs/imans are using to incite those lesser educated to commit acts of horrendous violence? How many have been murdered, mained, or persecuted by so-called good Muslims?
Jon

United States

#5560 Feb 12, 2014
Do you believe in a spiritual world? Former skeptic now trains priests in exorcisms...

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/02/10/loc...

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#5561 Feb 12, 2014
JPL wrote:
<quoted text>
No a true Christian would not behave in that manner. A true Christian is Christ-like and Jesus Christ did not behave in that manner. It's true many horrible evils have been perpetrated in the name of religion(Christian, Muslim, two well known+others) which has been well documented. The Holy Bible warns of false prophets and I would suggest that people who engage in these acts of violence are not true Christians following in the example of Jesus Christ.
You look to the Muslim religion and we see horrible acts of violence against women, gays or those who are infidels. Yet Muslims will tell you their religion is one of peace how can that be? Is it the perversion, the manipulation of the Koran that mullahs/imans are using to incite those lesser educated to commit acts of horrendous violence? How many have been murdered, mained, or persecuted by so-called good Muslims?
No True Scotsman Fallacy

Since: Aug 13

Garland, TX

#5562 Feb 12, 2014
The idea that God died for us is a textbook example of myth. Sometimes people do give their lives for other and it is an amazing sacrifice. But it is highly unlikely that the creator of the universe is coincidently a triune (weird Christian word) being who became human in order to die to poetically atone for a system of sin which he himself as divine creator devises as an invisible sort of morality for some self-aware creatures which exist on for the tiniest length of time on a very small planet. And of course he died in a sort of everlasting life way as only a part of his triune self and even came back, which still existing all the while as his other 2/3rds. When he died, it was only for three days, but those who don't accept him will be tortured forever.
Jack

United States

#5563 Feb 12, 2014
AngelAngle wrote:
The idea that God died for us is a textbook example of myth. Sometimes people do give their lives for other and it is an amazing sacrifice. But it is highly unlikely that the creator of the universe is coincidently a triune (weird Christian word) being who became human in order to die to poetically atone for a system of sin which he himself as divine creator devises as an invisible sort of morality for some self-aware creatures which exist on for the tiniest length of time on a very small planet. And of course he died in a sort of everlasting life way as only a part of his triune self and even came back, which still existing all the while as his other 2/3rds. When he died, it was only for three days, but those who don't accept him will be tortured forever.
1. God died for us is a myth. GOD never died according to the Bible.
2. God's only begotten son Jesus Christ when a physical man died for our sins. Then he arose and joined God the Father.
3. The Bible uses certain numbers because they have special meaning. 3 represents the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit as in the Trinity. 7 is a number of completion. 3 days Jesus Christ rose from the tomb and join his Father in heaven. Jesus Christ paid the price for mankind sins and show all us through his life and the Bible's teachings what we should do to earn our right to be with our savior Jesus Christ and God the Father.
4. Lake of Fire or Hell depending on the religion you are studying says either you will suffer forever like Dante' Inferno or you will be cremated in the Lake of Fire until your physical body is consumed. End of story. Only those who commit the Unpardonable sin will go to the Lake of Fire.
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#5564 Feb 13, 2014
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>

Only those who commit the Unpardonable sin will go
to the Lake of Fire.
Do tell what is the unpardonable sin.
I want to make certain I don't have
to share eternity with the likes of you.
Eternity without your sort is heaven.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#5565 Feb 13, 2014
Biblical scholars have long been aware many of the stories and accounts in the sacred book were not written by eyewitnesses, and according to new research, further evidence of that historical distance has appeared in the form of a hump-backed camel.

New research using radioactive-carbon dating techniques shows the animals weren't domesticated until hundreds of years after the events documented in the Book of Genesis. The research was published by Erez Ben-Yosef and Lidar Sapir-Hen, archaeologists from Tel Aviv University in Israel. They believe camels were not domesticated in the eastern Mediterranean until the 10th century B.C.

And yet, the hump-backed creatures are mentioned repeatedly alongside Abraham, Jacob and Isaac, indicating the Bible's writers and editors were portraying what they saw in their present as how things looked in the past, says a New York Times article by John Noble Wilford:

These anachronisms are telling evidence that the Bible was written or edited long after the events it narrates and is not always reliable as verifiable history. These camel stories "do not encapsulate memories from the second millennium," said Noam Mizrahi, an Israeli biblical scholar, "but should be viewed as back-projections from a much later period."

simply transplanted the nomadic standards of their time into the distant past. There is nothing deceptive about this. They weren’t trying to trick anyone. They imagined, quite reasonably, that the past was, fundamentally, like their present.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#5566 Feb 13, 2014
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
1. God died for us is a myth. GOD never died according to the Bible.
2. God's only begotten son Jesus Christ when a physical man died for our sins. Then he arose and joined God the Father.
3. The Bible uses certain numbers because they have special meaning. 3 represents the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit as in the Trinity. 7 is a number of completion. 3 days Jesus Christ rose from the tomb and join his Father in heaven. Jesus Christ paid the price for mankind sins and show all us through his life and the Bible's teachings what we should do to earn our right to be with our savior Jesus Christ and God the Father.
4. Lake of Fire or Hell depending on the religion you are studying says either you will suffer forever like Dante' Inferno or you will be cremated in the Lake of Fire until your physical body is consumed. End of story. Only those who commit the Unpardonable sin will go to the Lake of Fire.
Uh huh.... when you put it THAT way it really doesn't sound any less ridiculous
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5567 Feb 13, 2014
angle you are talking out of your butt again
Jack

United States

#5568 Feb 13, 2014
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
Do tell what is the unpardonable sin.
I want to make certain I don't have
to share eternity with the likes of you.
Eternity without your sort is heaven.
No worries my man I've seen your posts on other threads so you and I have entirely different destinations.

Unpardonable sin is the sin of rejecting GOD the Father and Jesus Christ as your personal savior. Personal actions always have more meaning than hot air from a pompous blowhard.
Jack

United States

#5569 Feb 13, 2014
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Uh huh.... when you put it THAT way it really doesn't sound any less ridiculous
No one is telling you what to believe that I know of but I also reserve the right and the dignity that comes with that right to believe.

Peace

Location hidden

#5570 Feb 13, 2014
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is telling you what to believe that I know of but I also reserve the right and the dignity that comes with that right to believe.
Peace
And I, personally, would never tell you what to believe. If you choose to air your beliefs publically, you shouldn't get upset if someone decides to comment on them.

You find 'dignity' in believing something that has no basis in reality... if it did, "faith" would not be a requirement to believe. I see no dignity in that.
Amanda

United States

#5571 Feb 13, 2014
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>And I, personally, would never tell you what to believe. If you choose to air your beliefs publically, you shouldn't get upset if someone decides to comment on them.
You find 'dignity' in believing something that has no basis in reality... if it did, "faith" would not be a requirement to believe. I see no dignity in that.
What Jack said is he is showing respect for your non-belief and is only asking back the respect he has shown. You know "treat people as you would like to be treated". I know that's old fashioned by it's a good rule to live by. Putting someone down using derogatory words or demeaning words aren't necessary unless to be derogatory and demeaning is your goal to begin with.

How many times has science got it wrong only to update the world when they got more information which turned what used to be scientific proof as not longer valid? There are many examples. You had 'faith' the first scientific theory was correct until the new theory came out and then you have 'faith' it's true.

Think about it.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5572 Feb 13, 2014
Amanda wrote:
<quoted text>
What Jack said is he is showing respect for your non-belief and is only asking back the respect he has shown. You know "treat people as you would like to be treated". I know that's old fashioned by it's a good rule to live by. Putting someone down using derogatory words or demeaning words aren't necessary unless to be derogatory and demeaning is your goal to begin with.
How many times has science got it wrong only to update the world when they got more information which turned what used to be scientific proof as not longer valid? There are many examples. You had 'faith' the first scientific theory was correct until the new theory came out and then you have 'faith' it's true.
Think about it.
You could not be more wrong.

Science is **always** trying to refute it's own claims-- constantly and all the time.

That is how science works-- this constant **testing** of it's claims, is how science discovers any errors or subtle inconsistencies in the claims.

So it's to be expected, it **will** change those claims over time, usually in very subtle ways, but occasionally, in dramatic ones (such as the switch from Newton's physics to Einstein's).

But where you are so very, very wrong?

Is you presume that Newton is now 100% wrong, and Einstein is not 100% correct.

That is false.

Newton is **correct** within a certain limited set of conditions (actually, these are the majority conditions, but nevermind that). But Newton is *wrong* under certain *extreme* conditions.

And Einstein's theories explain those.

Yet, even Einstein's theory is *wrong* for certain *other*, even more extreme conditions.

So, from the view of an absolutist (you),**both** Newton and Einstein are dead wrong......

....!!!

This comes from a failure on *your* part to really understand how science works.

You theists never seem to get that-- which is why you theists **never****ever** disprove a single thing science has claimed.

Ever.

And you theists never will-- you just don't get how science works.

Location hidden

#5573 Feb 13, 2014
Amanda wrote:
<quoted text>
Think about it.
How was my post in any way derogatory? He made a post that, in essence, said the same thing as a previous poster. That previous poster's comment was showing how ridiculous that particular way of thing is. His post laid out the same 'story' as the other poster only in a slightly different way that HE saw as more reasonable. I simply pointed out that his 'version' was no less ridiculous that the other.

BTW... there is no need for faith when actual evidence supports you... and there is no need to lie when actual facts are on your side.
Amanda

United States

#5574 Feb 13, 2014
Look up the meaning of ridiculous why don't you? Then use the word ridiculous to describe previous once believed scientific theory that has been disproved. You could express your disbelief without using demeaning words or derogatory terms or are you so limited in your vocabulary?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 11 min I Am No One_ 239,135
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 1 hr Thinking 31
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr MikeF 19,040
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr Thinking 2,179
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Thinking 7,396
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 12 hr NoahLovesU 7,468
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 12 hr thetruth 115
More from around the web