'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 20 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Chuck

Dublin, OH

#5434 Feb 5, 2014
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all...same question for you. If I didn't tell you that I was a non-believer, how would you know.
I wouldn't

then why do you believe Hitler was a Christian. The only thing you have to go by is his fruits,,,his lifestyle.

based on that, do you think he was a Christian ?
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#5436 Feb 5, 2014
Thinking wrote:
He is because he says he is...
:)
<quoted text>
You'd buy it

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#5437 Feb 5, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>I wouldn't

then why do you believe Hitler was a Christian. The only thing you have to go by is his fruits,,,his lifestyle.

based on that, do you think he was a Christian ?
I believe that he believed in god, and believed that he talked to god. He believed he was Christian, so why would I doubt it? Now whether I believe he was a good person is a different story
Agnostic

Oklahoma City, OK

#5438 Feb 5, 2014
I am naturally distrustful of anyone who says “Love and obey me or burn in hell for eternity”.
Agnostic

Oklahoma City, OK

#5439 Feb 5, 2014
Sorry. Just the fact that Bill Nye wasn't stuck down by lightning was pretty much checkmate, Creationists.
Jay

United States

#5440 Feb 5, 2014
Agnostic wrote:
I am naturally distrustful of anyone who says “Love and obey me or burn in hell for eternity”.
There a very special place I'm sure for mother's who intentionally kill their children Karen Janbaz. I would venture 'love' for you means you don't want to be inconvenienced or you can't love. Or do you have another excuse you use of those type of occasions?
JPL

United States

#5441 Feb 5, 2014
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I completely agree. Now my other question would be...if I didn't tell you I was an atheist, how would you know that I was???
Assuming I was conversing with you I would make a judgment based on what you professed to believe since I don't personally know you that would be all I had to make a snap judgment on. On the other hand if I knew you and was able to watch your interaction with people and life in general beside conversing with you then I would have more information to make a judgment on who you are and why.

We make judgments everyday on things with the information we have at hand. In the hypothetical situation of Hitler it was clear from his actions and the actions of the SS that not only were they not Christians but they were murderous evil men involved in the occult and other non-Christian activities.

Saying you're a Christian doesn't make you one just like a prostitute claiming to be a virgin, lol, the empirical evidence would validate something entirely different.
JPL

United States

#5442 Feb 5, 2014
Thinking wrote:
It don't see how that helps to prove free will.
I certainly think I'm the former case, but if I had no choice but to feel that way, then is that free will or a mere simulation?
<quoted text>
Since your from Britain I would assume you feel you are living in a 'free' society unlike a society like Russia or China and definitely not free in Muslim Sharia Law countries(Saudi Arabia, Iran, Libya, parts of Africa, Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood, anyway you get my meaning I'm sure. A free society allows you and usually encourages free thought. We are all influenced by our surroundings and upbringing but beyond that as a person you have an inherit curiosity to understand and seek knowledge. Unless you are a person whose really disinterested in the truth, in improving yourself and achieving something beyond where you are now then I don't think you would understand and comprehend clearly what I was trying to convey to you. The Holy Bible tells you "to seek and you shall find, to prove all things, hold fast to what is good."

The Holy Bible is telling you as a Christian not to just go to a generic church and that's all that is required of you. There is much more and to be a sincere Christian requires dedication and sincerity and a willingness to seek the truth not just accept whatever is told to you without personal investment. GOD wants personal commitment the idea you can throw some money at a church and drop by Church on Christmas Day is all that is necessary to be considered a Christian and you are saved and going to 'heaven'...GOD judges your heart not your wallet.

There are no shortcuts.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5443 Feb 5, 2014
You atheists have repeated the lie so many times that I have no doubt you actually believe it. Is there any hope for some of you? I don't know.....it would really take a miracle I think.

Location hidden

#5444 Feb 5, 2014
JPL wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming I was conversing with you I would make a judgment based on what you professed to believe since I don't personally know you that would be all I had to make a snap judgment on. On the other hand if I knew you and was able to watch your interaction with people and life in general beside conversing with you then I would have more information to make a judgment on who you are and why.
We make judgments everyday on things with the information we have at hand. In the hypothetical situation of Hitler it was clear from his actions and the actions of the SS that not only were they not Christians but they were murderous evil men involved in the occult and other non-Christian activities.
Saying you're a Christian doesn't make you one just like a prostitute claiming to be a virgin, lol, the empirical evidence would validate something entirely different.
I agree...we have to look at the person and their actions to make a guess at it.
The way I see it, is that Hitler claimed the Christian religion....the bible says that the only unforgivable sin is blasphemy, and as far as I can remember I don't think Hitler ever blasphemed.

Am I incorrect in saying that Hitler was a christian, but did not live correctly by any means, yet could have been forgiven of his sins if he repented, of course?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5445 Feb 5, 2014
You atheists all use the exact same, ignorant "arguments". Do you ALWAYS bring up Hitler? I mean that just makes you guys look desperate and stupid.

Location hidden

#5446 Feb 5, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
You atheists all use the exact same, ignorant "arguments". Do you ALWAYS bring up Hitler? I mean that just makes you guys look desperate and stupid.
If you don't like the topics then get off topix... HA! Lol
JPL

United States

#5448 Feb 6, 2014
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree...
The way I see it, is that Hitler claimed the Christian religion....the bible says that the only unforgivable sin is blasphemy, and as far as I can remember I don't think Hitler ever blasphemed.
Am I incorrect in saying that Hitler was a christian, but did not live correctly by any means, yet could have been forgiven of his sins if he repented, of course?
No I don't agree with your summation. First the only unforgiveable sin according to the Holy Bible is the Unpardonable Sin of rejecting GOD the father and Jesus Christ as your personal savior period. It's the only Unpardonable Sin.

Hitler was not a Christian. He didn't put GOD first and foremost personally or in deeds by his actions. What Hitler was involved deeply in was the search for power by any and all means which included the occult. Many of the high ranking members of Hitler's circle were deeply involved in the occult. A Christian is expressly forbidden to engage in occultism. The Holy Bible condemns such activities. Hitler wasn't the only one who searched the occult for power it was quite popular during those times especially in Europe to engage in occultism and spiritualism. Not unusual for dinner guests to also engage in a séance after dinner for entertainment value.

There is an example of a great sin committed by King David in Biblical times. According to the Holy Bible King David noticed a beautiful woman bathing on a roof top of her home. She was married to a man who served in King David's military. King David lusted after this beautiful woman which is breaking one of the 10 commandments but instead of stopping and repenting of the original sin of lust he played with the idea and his desire to possess this beautiful woman increased the more he thought about it. So King David devised a plan of action. He ordered the husband to this woman to be moved to the front lines in a battle insuring he would be killed freeing King David to take the woman as his personal lover which he did and engaged in sexual relations with this man's wife. Later he was advised the man had died on the battlefield just as King David had planned. It wasn't until the news of the man's death did King David acknowledge his terrible sin against the man and his wife and against GOD. King David committed 3 sins of lusting after another's wife, murder and sex with a married woman. Serious transgressions. But the Holy Bible also says that King David recognized his great sin and confessed and repented with his whole heart, with such profound humility and repentance that GOD forgave him and blessed him. The Holy Bible label King David as a man "after GOD's own heart".

For years I struggled with that phrase. How could GOD bless a man who committed preplanned murder engaged in adultery with a married woman and still bless this man and give him such a prominent place in the Holy Bible? Then I came to the conclusion that GOD views all sin as the transgression of the law. All sin according to the Holy Bible has a penalty, "the wages of sin is death"...only when a person repents with all his heart is he forgiven and then GOD allows the forgiven to go forth and 'sin no more'. This example is also reinforced by Jesus Christ dealing with the prostitute when she was to be stoned for her sins. Instead she repented of her sins and Jesus Christ forgave the sin and told her to "go and sin no more". Yes you can be forgiven of sin really egregious sin except in only one case which is the UNPARDONABLE SIN which is the rejection of GOD and Jesus Christ as your personal savior.

I don't see any evidence that Adolph Hitler repented of what he did. I don't see any evidence that Eva Braun repented of what she was involved in either. I reject the idea either of these vile people were Christians because their life decisions and lifestyle was clearly not Christian decisions or a Christian lifestyle.
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#5451 Feb 6, 2014
JPL wrote:
<quoted text>

The Holy Bible is telling you as a Christian not to just go
to a generic church and that's all that is required of you.
Yes, you've seen the light too. Now join my church
the Holy Revealed Only To Us Church. All 32 of
us will welcome your commitment and explain your
sins. Bring a lamb and a virgin.
JPL

United States

#5452 Feb 6, 2014
Thinking wrote:
"Free" is subjective. I don't have the freedom to go to bed sucking off a military assault rifle, which doesn't bother me one bit. But maybe a member of the NRA or the Taliban would feel differently.
I know the society I live in would be less free if it reverted to being more religious. That's why I believe you're trying to sell me something I just don't want or need.
<quoted text>
We are talking about your mind being free enough to engage in decision making without undue influence or restrictions. It's about the ability or lack thereof of critical thinking either you have that ability or not. References to 'bed sucking, NRA or Taliban" is a action and/or entities which show shades of extremism.

Again I have no problem with your rejection of GOD, Jesus Christ or any religion. You have the free will to make those decisions yourself. What motive would I have to sell something that can't be sold? No profit to be made from? As always from the beginning I have said your rejection is accepted and what purpose is there for further discussion, the question and point of discussion is moot.
JPL

United States

#5455 Feb 6, 2014
@Thinking, Obviously you have free will to reject or accept concepts. You rejected one concept already that I know of... that is an expression of free will.
JPL

United States

#5456 Feb 6, 2014
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you've seen the light too. Now join my church
the Holy Revealed Only To Us Church. All 32 of
us will welcome your commitment and explain your
sins. Bring a lamb and a virgin.
Your ridiculousness is only exceeded by your vile suggestions. You have posted on other threads to be a member of a church in Southlake, TX. You also claim it's a exclusive church by invitation only and most of your members belong to a country club also. So do you think your pomp and circumstance impresses GOD?

Perhaps reconsideration is in your future.
JPL

United States

#5458 Feb 6, 2014
@Thinking, I thought we had concluded our discussion already. What exactly are you saying is someone/something keeping you from using your brain? Are you restricted in some way?

I admit you may be a larger challenge than my mere mortal efforts can help. Perhaps if you are truly interested in understanding, awareness and choose to seek improvement in your life someone more gifted than I am can help.

I wish you continued good health and peace.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5460 Feb 6, 2014
I've never seen more brain washed people than atheists. Well I take that back. Jeh. Witnesses would give them a run for their money.
JoJo

United States

#5461 Feb 6, 2014
Someone protests to much. JPL has been a gentleman while you have been prickly, snarkie and trite.

You have been out maneuvered and out debated over a subject you confess to have no interest in.

Now that's hilarious!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min Denisova 18,888
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min Uncle Sam 238,439
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Thinking 6,708
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 8 hr spellmeout 14,657
News .com | What hope is there without God? 11 hr Amused 2
News Confessions of a black atheist 12 hr thetruth 478
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 12 hr thetruth 2,099
More from around the web