'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

JPL

United States

#5421 Feb 5, 2014
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no reason to be anything other than polite, so far :-).
I find your logic unstable. How would I go about proving a nazi was a Christian exactly. Well, I might also question, how would you go about proving that they weren't?
The Holy Bible says you will know them by the fruit of their works. Nazis were not Christians.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#5422 Feb 5, 2014
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no reason to be anything other than polite, so far :-).
I find your logic unstable. How would I go about proving a nazi was a Christian exactly. Well, I might also question, how would you go about proving that they weren't?
By their lifestyle or fruits.

Do you really believe those who claim to be Christians while killing people are really Christians?

come on

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#5423 Feb 5, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
a follower of Ken Ham? ummmmm no I'm not a "follower" of anyone except God. I've read a few of Ken Ham's books and saw him once in person at a church. Obviously I agree with him.
I have just seen you quote Answers in Genesis so often, much more than your quote the Bible.

A.I.G. is Ken Ham's opinion about the Bible, it is not the Bible.

If the Bible is the go to book for all things , then why do you need to quote A.I.G?
JPL

United States

#5425 Feb 5, 2014
Thinking wrote:
We may think so, but how to prove free will?
<quoted text>
Are you a person who prefers to make your own decisions based on information you worked to verify then make a decision and are willing to accept the responsibility of that decision?

Or are you one who goes with the flow whatever is popular or part of your peer group must be the cool thing to be involved in at any given time. Are you easily manipulated because you're too lazy or uninterested to care if you are engaging in ethical correct behavior? Is coercion your easy game plan?

You need to understand who you are before you can answer these questions honestly.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#5426 Feb 5, 2014
Thinking wrote:
"they was"?
Back to school with you, sonny.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Nazi...
<quoted text>
Hey ...I got this too:

a view evidenced by sources such as the Goebbels Diaries, the memoirs of Speer, and the transcripts edited by Martin Bormann contained within Hitler's Table Talk.[8] Goebbels wrote in 1941 that Hitler "hates Christianity, because it has crippled all that is noble in humanity."

**Let me guess..it says he was a Christian..lol

Take a lesson from your friend Christine, Gramps. Knowledge and Faith or two separate things when it comes to Christanity.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#5427 Feb 5, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Yes.
<quoted text>
To believe that someone is a Christian just because they have said they are is total ignorance.

Hey Gramps...did I mention I've been to the moon?
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#5428 Feb 5, 2014
Thinking wrote:
"they was"?
Back to school with you, sonny.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Nazi...
<quoted text>
wow...you got me. I type o but I didn't think it would matter in this group. I'll fix it next time.

My apologies

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#5429 Feb 5, 2014
JPL wrote:
<quoted text>The Holy Bible says you will know them by the fruit of their works. Nazis were not Christians.
Oh I completely agree. Now my other question would be...if I didn't tell you I was an atheist, how would you know that I was???

Location hidden

#5430 Feb 5, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>By their lifestyle or fruits.

Do you really believe those who claim to be Christians while killing people are really Christians?

come on
Not at all...same question for you. If I didn't tell you that I was a non-believer, how would you know.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#5433 Feb 5, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok
prove to me Hilter was a Christian.
Prove to all here that YOU are a christian
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#5434 Feb 5, 2014
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all...same question for you. If I didn't tell you that I was a non-believer, how would you know.
I wouldn't

then why do you believe Hitler was a Christian. The only thing you have to go by is his fruits,,,his lifestyle.

based on that, do you think he was a Christian ?
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#5436 Feb 5, 2014
Thinking wrote:
He is because he says he is...
:)
<quoted text>
You'd buy it

Location hidden

#5437 Feb 5, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>I wouldn't

then why do you believe Hitler was a Christian. The only thing you have to go by is his fruits,,,his lifestyle.

based on that, do you think he was a Christian ?
I believe that he believed in god, and believed that he talked to god. He believed he was Christian, so why would I doubt it? Now whether I believe he was a good person is a different story
Agnostic

Oklahoma City, OK

#5438 Feb 5, 2014
I am naturally distrustful of anyone who says “Love and obey me or burn in hell for eternity”.
Agnostic

Oklahoma City, OK

#5439 Feb 5, 2014
Sorry. Just the fact that Bill Nye wasn't stuck down by lightning was pretty much checkmate, Creationists.
Jay

United States

#5440 Feb 5, 2014
Agnostic wrote:
I am naturally distrustful of anyone who says “Love and obey me or burn in hell for eternity”.
There a very special place I'm sure for mother's who intentionally kill their children Karen Janbaz. I would venture 'love' for you means you don't want to be inconvenienced or you can't love. Or do you have another excuse you use of those type of occasions?
JPL

United States

#5441 Feb 5, 2014
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I completely agree. Now my other question would be...if I didn't tell you I was an atheist, how would you know that I was???
Assuming I was conversing with you I would make a judgment based on what you professed to believe since I don't personally know you that would be all I had to make a snap judgment on. On the other hand if I knew you and was able to watch your interaction with people and life in general beside conversing with you then I would have more information to make a judgment on who you are and why.

We make judgments everyday on things with the information we have at hand. In the hypothetical situation of Hitler it was clear from his actions and the actions of the SS that not only were they not Christians but they were murderous evil men involved in the occult and other non-Christian activities.

Saying you're a Christian doesn't make you one just like a prostitute claiming to be a virgin, lol, the empirical evidence would validate something entirely different.
JPL

United States

#5442 Feb 5, 2014
Thinking wrote:
It don't see how that helps to prove free will.
I certainly think I'm the former case, but if I had no choice but to feel that way, then is that free will or a mere simulation?
<quoted text>
Since your from Britain I would assume you feel you are living in a 'free' society unlike a society like Russia or China and definitely not free in Muslim Sharia Law countries(Saudi Arabia, Iran, Libya, parts of Africa, Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood, anyway you get my meaning I'm sure. A free society allows you and usually encourages free thought. We are all influenced by our surroundings and upbringing but beyond that as a person you have an inherit curiosity to understand and seek knowledge. Unless you are a person whose really disinterested in the truth, in improving yourself and achieving something beyond where you are now then I don't think you would understand and comprehend clearly what I was trying to convey to you. The Holy Bible tells you "to seek and you shall find, to prove all things, hold fast to what is good."

The Holy Bible is telling you as a Christian not to just go to a generic church and that's all that is required of you. There is much more and to be a sincere Christian requires dedication and sincerity and a willingness to seek the truth not just accept whatever is told to you without personal investment. GOD wants personal commitment the idea you can throw some money at a church and drop by Church on Christmas Day is all that is necessary to be considered a Christian and you are saved and going to 'heaven'...GOD judges your heart not your wallet.

There are no shortcuts.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5443 Feb 5, 2014
You atheists have repeated the lie so many times that I have no doubt you actually believe it. Is there any hope for some of you? I don't know.....it would really take a miracle I think.

Location hidden

#5444 Feb 5, 2014
JPL wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming I was conversing with you I would make a judgment based on what you professed to believe since I don't personally know you that would be all I had to make a snap judgment on. On the other hand if I knew you and was able to watch your interaction with people and life in general beside conversing with you then I would have more information to make a judgment on who you are and why.
We make judgments everyday on things with the information we have at hand. In the hypothetical situation of Hitler it was clear from his actions and the actions of the SS that not only were they not Christians but they were murderous evil men involved in the occult and other non-Christian activities.
Saying you're a Christian doesn't make you one just like a prostitute claiming to be a virgin, lol, the empirical evidence would validate something entirely different.
I agree...we have to look at the person and their actions to make a guess at it.
The way I see it, is that Hitler claimed the Christian religion....the bible says that the only unforgivable sin is blasphemy, and as far as I can remember I don't think Hitler ever blasphemed.

Am I incorrect in saying that Hitler was a christian, but did not live correctly by any means, yet could have been forgiven of his sins if he repented, of course?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min ChristineM 34,477
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr ChristineM 14,866
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr ChristineM 255,503
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr ChristineM 20,053
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 5 hr emperorjohn 4,468
News Your atheism isn&#x27;t going to keep your... (Apr '14) 6 hr emperorjohn 168
News Are There Atheists in the Foxholes? 6 hr emperorjohn 54
More from around the web