'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#5336 Feb 2, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
in your face? You have got to be kidding. God was thrown out of school and society years ago. Now anyone that stands up for Christianity is persecuted in many parts of the country and the world. Quit crying about God being thrown up in your face because its just the opposite.
If God had been thrown out of society years ago, you would be able to come one here and shout about how many more christians there are than anyone else lol. If you think what you have today is persecution, you should really go back into history and see what persecution is bud.

“Sweden more democratic thanUSA”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#5337 Feb 2, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously this one has not taken a critical thinking course and more than likely less than a year in education beyond high school.
That is not saying you are stupid, but defiantly ignorant.
You are an expert in being wrong and lying
WarForOil

Rowlett, TX

#5338 Feb 3, 2014
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>

There is no logic in Christianity
And tell the people how long it took you to
arrive at this wisdom. Do you have other similar
observations to share. Is the sky blue.

Don't expect your own following.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5343 Feb 3, 2014
oh no doubt we aren't persecuted here in the US like other countries. However, its more popular to be gay than to be a Christian. Its simply a sign of the times.
JPL

United States

#5344 Feb 3, 2014
Thinking wrote:
My post was directed at you, not your imaginary sky daddy.
<quoted text>
Are you saying your anger is directed at me? Why... have I personally harmed you in some way? I think not, let's be fair minded shall we?

So, I will ask my questions again I posted earlier do you agree that a conscience is something that is developed and understanding of right and wrong, ethical and unethical and the life choices that understanding gives us?

Do you see our time on Earth as temporary? What do you see as the purpose of your life?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5345 Feb 3, 2014
JPL these questions are too hard for him. They actually require one to think about something other than childish insults.
JPL

United States

#5346 Feb 3, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
JPL these questions are too hard for him. They actually require one to think about something other than childish insults.
More people should learn the art of sharing information and having a respectful discussion. I know I don't have all the answers to the universe I accept that fact without reservation. But having said that neither does any other person on Earth have all the answers so there is endless knowledge to be discovered.

All of us could share in that journey if only we were willing.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5347 Feb 3, 2014
Nobody knows all there is to know about anything. Their problem is they think they know enough to know there isn't a God. Some of them base this on the fact that there is suffering in this world. Apparently they expect God to heal everyone and to stop all sin. Shows their ignorance

Location hidden

#5351 Feb 3, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Nobody knows all there is to know about anything. Their problem is they think they know enough to know there isn't a God. Some of them base this on the fact that there is suffering in this world. Apparently they expect God to heal everyone and to stop all sin. Shows their ignorance
There are many things to base the conclusion of no god on. I would expect a god to do many different things that are not expected of the one you believe in.
JPL

United States

#5352 Feb 3, 2014
Thinking wrote:
You're the one using the word anger, not me.
Why is that?
<quoted text>
Review the words you chose to express yourself the theme and tone of your posts. Defensive, abrasive and yes angry.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5353 Feb 3, 2014
Oh so now iseeyou is so high and mighty that she can question what God should and should not do? Do you also give God credit for all the good things? Of course you don't.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#5354 Feb 3, 2014
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
And your opinion is so valuable.
Don't most people look away even
as you're still speaking. Worthless.
I look away.
I wish I could look away. Most fundie posts are the intellectual equivalent of a bad car wreck by the side of the road. You know it is horrible, but you can't help looking anyways.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#5355 Feb 3, 2014
JPL wrote:
<quoted text>
More people should learn the art of sharing information and having a respectful discussion. I know I don't have all the answers to the universe I accept that fact without reservation. But having said that neither does any other person on Earth have all the answers so there is endless knowledge to be discovered.
All of us could share in that journey if only we were willing.
What you say is true. My experience, however, is that the christian posters who come here have absolutely no interest in acknowledging anything not between the covers of their holy book. They want atheists to consider their quotes and paraphrases from that book, but they are ironclad in their refusal to consider anything that calls their beliefs into question.

Most are not here for a discussion in the sense of a dialog, they are merely interested in preaching. Many become quite unpleasant when their preaching produces no conversions. From the atheist perspective, engaging these folks in dialog is about as stimulating as speaking to a brick wall.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#5356 Feb 3, 2014
Thinking wrote:
It's "let's".
<quoted text>
He's not an expert in the grammatical structure of his own native language.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#5357 Feb 3, 2014
JPL wrote:
<quoted text>
Avoidable suffering caused by whom? The 6 million Jews murdered was mentioned earlier and did GOD kill them? Did Jesus Christ kill them? I would submit another theory if you will allow me to try and explain.
In the old testament of the Holy Bible we are told that GOD would speak directly with mankind and how did mankind repay GOD'S direct communication with them? Even though these people saw and heard (all the evidence most would need to believe)when tempted to break GOD rules of living they immediately broke the rule and flaunted their disbelief even though GOD gave them everything and only restricted one tree and it's fruit. The Garden of Eden offered everything no wants no needs denied except do not eat from the tree of life. You know the rest of the story. If you read in the Holy Bible multiple stories of how mankind turns it back and GOD and sins against him. A GOD who didn't show compassion wouldn't have kept trying to teach mankind a lesson would he? He would have washed his hands of all of us and that would be the end to the story.
WWII the German People allowed Hitler to take the place of religion and GOD in their society.
Burned books no religious books survived the new religion was NAZISM. The events which took place are beyond human rational explanation since the acts against the Jews and others were evil a true black sick evil and the end results was death, destruction utter desolation.
Why? How could people be so deceived by a mere man? Didn't they understand the end result of his insanity? How could anyone be so misguided as to complacently follow Hitler?
Let me ask a question to you. I see the 10 Commandments as precepts or guidelines to a more fulfilled life. It clearly shows an understanding for human nature's ability to be harmful to itself and others, it encourages self reflection and self improvement. Developing a conscience of good and evil behaviors. As a non-believer do you disregard any value in the 10 Commandments?
Your reasoning is not convincing.

First. No, your god or your jesus did not directly kill the Jews. On the other hand, they did absolutely nothing to save them.

Second. Hitler claimed to be acting as a christian carrying out the work of god in persecuting the Jews. Whether he personally believed this or not is beside the point. He may very well have been lying. If so, however, he was lying to cloak himself with the legitimacy of christianity, in order to obtain the loyal obedience of the many christians who carried out all the day to day tasks needed to persecute the Jews. Whether Hitler was an actual christian, or a liar, there were very few atheists in German society at the time. The guards who manned the concentration camps wee christians. The men who herded the Jews into the cattle cars were christian. The men who carried out the actual killings were christians.

Third. Your logic breaks down when you say that because the nazis behaved in ways that offended your god, he allowed them to kill the Jews. In what way did they offend? By KILLING JEWS. Don't you see the circular nature of that argument?

Fourth. Most atheists are not opposed to the morality that some (not all) of the commandments espouse. We do, however, note that these ideas are common in all systems of morality, including many that predate christianity. More than 500 years before christianity, the Buddha set out the 5 precepts: Don't lie, don't kill, don't steal, don't commit adultery, don't use intoxicants. Same basic ideas as the ten commandments, with the addition of the precept against intoxicants, and minus all the commandments dealing with worship of a deity. So, it is not so much that we reject the ideas expressed in the non-god-directed commandments as that we think these were old ideas before the ten commandments existed.

“Sweden more democratic thanUSA”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#5358 Feb 3, 2014
JPL wrote:
<quoted text>
Review the words you chose to express yourself the theme and tone of your posts. Defensive, abrasive and yes angry.
Why are you so angry ?
Jon

United States

#5359 Feb 3, 2014
Why are you so ignorant?

Location hidden

#5360 Feb 3, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Oh so now iseeyou is so high and mighty that she can question what God should and should not do? Do you also give God credit for all the good things? Of course you don't.
I don't give credit to a god for anything hun. I don't believe in god. However yes, I would expect much more than you expect from yours lol

Location hidden

#5361 Feb 3, 2014
Jon wrote:
Why are you so ignorant?
Who are you talking to? Since the reply button wasn't used I can only assume that you are talking to the entire group, and if that's the case, you are being very rude.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5362 Feb 3, 2014
so now God has to live up to what YOU expect? Ha......you are such a fool

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min thetruth 34,761
News Millionaire Entrepreneur Wants to 'Make Atheism... 6 min thetruth 397
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 32 min ChristineM 14,915
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 42 min Richardfs 5,597
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 46 min ChristineM 20,055
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 1 hr Thinking 4,482
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 2 hr emperorjohn 133
News Your atheism isn&#x27;t going to keep your... (Apr '14) 3 hr emperorjohn 189
More from around the web