'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 20 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Jim

London, UK

#5300 Feb 1, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
He does want you. The problem is you don't want Him. God is love but He is also just and I'm afraid you will one day experience His justice.
Your hallucinations have no effect on atheists or society.

It's your mental illness hat you are projecting - there's no such thing as god and atheists are not going to drop everything to follow your foolish cult of liars with no evidence.
Jim

London, UK

#5301 Feb 1, 2014
Religious trolls are conflicted - they abuse atheists with hate, under he guise of caring.

Mentalists.
JPL

United States

#5302 Feb 1, 2014
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25497...

Interesting story. Medical professionals, Department of Child Services professionals, law enforcement professionals, spiritualists, religious experts, extended family and friends all witnesses. Pics of something on back screened porch and one audio tape of 'voice'...

So explain it? Mass hysteria, mass hallucinations even by medical health professionals in a local hospital ER.....hmmm a elaborate hoax?
JPL

United States

#5303 Feb 1, 2014
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't accept the free will not to believe, that is your problem.
I have no problem with free will but also you should be warned that free will to reject GOD and Jesus Christ also has a warning attached. Rejection of GOD and his son Jesus Christ is the only sin mentioned in the Holy Bible as the 'unpardonable sin'.

So you are fully aware and decide to reject then 'so it is written so let it be done'.
JPL

United States

#5306 Feb 1, 2014
Thinking wrote:
And herein lies a major problem with your religion. Order the systematic murder of 6 million jews, gypsies and other minorities and you may still make it into heaven.
But say god and jesus are massive steaming tw*ts and you are in real trouble!
If only you knew of an all powerful compassionate god that could cope with rejection better.
<quoted text>
My religion? I never said I believed in once saved always saved if that were true then there wouldn't be an UNPARDONABLE SIN which clearly the Holy Bible says there is without question. Being a member of some organized religion won't make the grade either. Religion doesn't get you anywhere but more informed about the principals of religion. Organized religion, ministers and priests, all can educate you about religion and religious principals but none of them can make you achieve a relationship and connectedness to Jesus Christ and GOD the father. Remember Jesus Christ can be your personal savior not someone else's through fiat or association of a organized religion or church. One on one relationship is developed there is no other way no short cut you can't buy your way into being saved no amount of hail Mary's is the magic number to go to heaven.

Do you believe in a spiritual world? Perhaps you don't more study will maybe open your mind to the possibility.

I told you before I can easily accept your rejection of GOD or Jesus Christ many reject out of anger, ignorance or even disillusionment with organized religion. Placing your faith in people and you're guaranteed to be disappointed eventually people are weak and lazy easy to sway and manipulate whatever they can for their own personal agenda of greed, power, ego. That's is one of the lessons of the Bible "it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man to make it into heaven" As weak humans with puny insignificant abilities and convictions those who achieve wealth usually become self absorbed egomaniacs and the cycle has continued for thousands of years. The same boring cycle of build and be destroyed.

If a higher being exists wouldn't it (GOD) be disappointed in mankind?
Jim

London, UK

#5307 Feb 1, 2014
JPL wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem with free will but also you should be warned that free will to reject GOD and Jesus Christ also has a warning attached. Rejection of GOD and his son Jesus Christ is the only sin mentioned in the Holy Bible as the 'unpardonable sin'.
So you are fully aware and decide to reject then 'so it is written so let it be done'.
Foolish empty threat coming from your imagination. Your hallucinations have absolutely no effect on me.

They don't have any effect on anyone, because god isn't real and you need help
Jim

London, UK

#5308 Feb 1, 2014
JPL wrote:
<quoted text>
My religion? I never said I believed in once saved always saved if that were true then there wouldn't be an UNPARDONABLE SIN which clearly the Holy Bible says there is without question. Being a member of some organized religion won't make the grade either. Religion doesn't get you anywhere but more informed about the principals of religion. Organized religion, ministers and priests, all can educate you about religion and religious principals but none of them can make you achieve a relationship and connectedness to Jesus Christ and GOD the father. Remember Jesus Christ can be your personal savior not someone else's through fiat or association of a organized religion or church. One on one relationship is developed there is no other way no short cut you can't buy your way into being saved no amount of hail Mary's is the magic number to go to heaven.
Do you believe in a spiritual world? Perhaps you don't more study will maybe open your mind to the possibility.
I told you before I can easily accept your rejection of GOD or Jesus Christ many reject out of anger, ignorance or even disillusionment with organized religion. Placing your faith in people and you're guaranteed to be disappointed eventually people are weak and lazy easy to sway and manipulate whatever they can for their own personal agenda of greed, power, ego. That's is one of the lessons of the Bible "it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man to make it into heaven" As weak humans with puny insignificant abilities and convictions those who achieve wealth usually become self absorbed egomaniacs and the cycle has continued for thousands of years. The same boring cycle of build and be destroyed.
If a higher being exists wouldn't it (GOD) be disappointed in mankind?
Religious liars always love to write essays, when confronted with the fact that they have no evidence of god and are lying about it all.

We're not sure why such people have such active imaginations.
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#5309 Feb 1, 2014
JPL wrote:
<quoted text>

Being a member of some organized religion won't make the grade either. Religion doesn't get you anywhere but more informed about the principals of religion. Organized religion, can educate you about religion and religious principals but none of them can make you achieve a relationship and connectedness to Jesus Christ and GOD the father.
Pass up organized religion and go instead for a mystic relationship with
the fad du jour. Find your own Jim Jones. Contemplate the mystery of
the three headed one God with drugs. Find yourself, yourself.

Only do your finding in private, no one wants to see you stroking your
ecstasy.

In my organized church, we have coffee and pastries during the service.
That's very understandable.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5310 Feb 1, 2014
order the murder of jews and you still make it into heaven? Are you guys really this crazy in real life?
JPL

United States

#5311 Feb 1, 2014
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Foolish empty threat coming from your imagination. Your hallucinations have absolutely no effect on me.
They don't have any effect on anyone, because god isn't real and you need help
What threat? Did someone threaten you please let us all know who it was? Hallucinations? Did I say I saw things others didn't physically see? What are you trying to say please endeavor to give a complete thought and explanation that is clear. Have you experienced hallucinations?

I'm comfortable with your rejection of GOD. I'm comfortable with your rejection of Jesus Christ. I've said this before to you I hope it's clear now.

Why are you so uncomfortable? Why are you so defensive? Why so angry? Jim, you say I need help then are you offering to help or are those empty phrases?
JPL

United States

#5312 Feb 1, 2014
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Religious liars always love to write essays, when confronted with the fact that they have no evidence of god and are lying about it all.
We're not sure why such people have such active imaginations.
I would have to disagree that religious liars ALWAYS... that is an absolute statement and with liars they often have variations of skill set so making an absolute statement would be making a false statement. I don't want to be guilty of making a false statement do you?

Now as far as essays, anyone from Britain should have an inherit appreciation of the written word or perhaps I am being over generous in that respect because I appreciate knowledge which often comes from written works.

Evidence of GOD? I'm not trying to convince you of anything which would be a waste of my time I'm only a mere mortal, one in billions, a member of mankind residing here on planet Earth. If I expire today very few of the billions which inhabit this Earth will feel sorrow and that is as it should be for I am insignificant in the overall scheme of the world. Being humble, not arrogant is empowering to the individual. Egos are a waste of good space why not fill that space with something of value?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5313 Feb 1, 2014
Don't waste your time with Jim. He is crazy

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#5316 Feb 2, 2014
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>I study a lot. I can not discount the possibility of some form of spiritual world but I have yet to see any peer reviewable evidence for any such thing.

What I do know for sure is that there is no all powerful compassionate god because we have evidence of avoidable suffering.
Well said.
JPL

United States

#5317 Feb 2, 2014
Thinking wrote:
I study a lot. I can not discount the possibility of some form of spiritual world but I have yet to see any peer reviewable evidence for any such thing.
What I do know for sure is that there is no all powerful compassionate god because we have evidence of avoidable suffering.
<quoted text>
Avoidable suffering caused by whom? The 6 million Jews murdered was mentioned earlier and did GOD kill them? Did Jesus Christ kill them? I would submit another theory if you will allow me to try and explain.

In the old testament of the Holy Bible we are told that GOD would speak directly with mankind and how did mankind repay GOD'S direct communication with them? Even though these people saw and heard (all the evidence most would need to believe)when tempted to break GOD rules of living they immediately broke the rule and flaunted their disbelief even though GOD gave them everything and only restricted one tree and it's fruit. The Garden of Eden offered everything no wants no needs denied except do not eat from the tree of life. You know the rest of the story. If you read in the Holy Bible multiple stories of how mankind turns it back and GOD and sins against him. A GOD who didn't show compassion wouldn't have kept trying to teach mankind a lesson would he? He would have washed his hands of all of us and that would be the end to the story.

WWII the German People allowed Hitler to take the place of religion and GOD in their society.
Burned books no religious books survived the new religion was NAZISM. The events which took place are beyond human rational explanation since the acts against the Jews and others were evil a true black sick evil and the end results was death, destruction utter desolation.

Why? How could people be so deceived by a mere man? Didn't they understand the end result of his insanity? How could anyone be so misguided as to complacently follow Hitler?

Let me ask a question to you. I see the 10 Commandments as precepts or guidelines to a more fulfilled life. It clearly shows an understanding for human nature's ability to be harmful to itself and others, it encourages self reflection and self improvement. Developing a conscience of good and evil behaviors. As a non-believer do you disregard any value in the 10 Commandments?
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#5318 Feb 2, 2014
Thinking wrote:
I study a lot.

What I do know for sure is that there is no all powerful
compassionate god because we have evidence of avoidable suffering.
And at what point do you think all that studying is going to
become noticeable. It may take longer than your lifetime.

Avoidable suffering is a divine gift also. The very best sex includes
it. Spanking has it's merits. Pain can be good.

Life without lubricants is a joy. She's sore, but she's smiling.
Jai

United States

#5319 Feb 2, 2014
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
And at what point do you think all that studying is going to
become noticeable. It may take longer than your lifetime.
Avoidable suffering is a divine gift also. The very best sex includes
it. Spanking has it's merits. Pain can be good.
Life without lubricants is a joy. She's sore, but she's smiling.
You are a sick pervert.
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#5320 Feb 2, 2014
Jai wrote:
<quoted text>

You are a sick pervert.
And your opinion is so valuable.
Don't most people look away even
as you're still speaking. Worthless.

I look away.
Jai

United States

#5321 Feb 2, 2014
Worth more than a sick pervert you look away because you know it's true.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5322 Feb 2, 2014
atheists always want to blame God for the evils of mankind.
Interested Mom

Keller, TX

#5325 Feb 2, 2014
There might be fewer athiests if Christians made more of an effort to explain the fundamental logic underlying Christianity.

I recommend reading "Christianity Made Simple" by Matthew Fortunato on Kindle. It is for normal parents who are seeking to instill good and lasting values in their children, and it explains Christianity in a way that athiest-types would have a hard time arguing against. Those Christians who actually want to affect any opinions in this kind of debate would find it useful.
http://matthewnfortunato.wordpress.com/2014/0...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 16 min spellmeout 14,657
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 45 min woodtick57 6,706
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 54 min Patrick n Angela 18,882
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Uncle Sam 238,420
News .com | What hope is there without God? 3 hr Amused 2
News Confessions of a black atheist 3 hr thetruth 478
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr thetruth 2,099
More from around the web