'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7553 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Jim

London, UK

#5173 Jan 26, 2014
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
No evolution can't be prayed away, but all the praying for you hasn't
ever done an observable good either. You'll always be in need
of exorcism from the demon on stupidity.
Lord, help us to be less discussed by him.
You're ignorant liars with no evidence of god, lying your way through each and every conversation you have with an atheist. Is that any way to live?

When you become brave enough to admit that there's no god, you will reach "true salvation", until then your continued dishonesty will continue to weigh on your conscience.

People that deny science need mental help, you should be thankful that atheists are willing to correct your mental illness for you with free tips like these.
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#5174 Jan 26, 2014
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>

When you become brave enough to admit that there's no god, you will
reach "true salvation", until then your continued dishonesty will continue
to weigh on your conscience.
I have true salvation. Heaven is on earth for the successful.
That's concrete. As is the ' hell ' of being a commoner.
Don't complain because you haven't earned your ' true salvation '.
Jim

London, UK

#5175 Jan 26, 2014
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
I have true salvation. Heaven is on earth for the successful.
That's concrete. As is the ' hell ' of being a commoner.
Don't complain because you haven't earned your ' true salvation '.
Why defend the mental illness you call a faith? Why not just admit that believing the earth is 3000 years old is just plain stupid when science shows you that you are wrong?

Creationism is a kind of mental illness that removes its victim from reality, completely deluding them with stupid ideas and thoughts.

Adults need to grow up and face up to reality - the reality that they are idiots who simply don't understand science, or logic and are too lazy and egotistical to care.
Biz

United States

#5176 Jan 26, 2014
by Warner Todd Huston 26 Jan 2014, 3:21 PM PDT 140 post a comment

In a recent interview, Dr. Francis Collins, Director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), said that he didn't think that there was necessarily any "discordance" between science – particularly the theory of evolution – and religion.

Collins was part of a discussion with HuffPost Live at Davos in which he noted that there is uneasiness over the theory of evolution in the US among some religious people, but that he doesn't think there should be.

"For me, somebody who is a 'show me the data' kind of scientist, but also a believer [in God], I don't see a discordance there. In fact it enriches my experience, each basically harmonized with the other. It gives you a view of life that is actually quite satisfying, and not in any way in conflict," Collins said.

Collins went on to say that there is "uneasiness" over aspects of science, "particularly evolution," because some religious people feel that science conflicts with their "sense of how we all came to be." This conflict doesn't need to exist, Collins said.

"But you know, if you are a believer in God, it's hard to imagine that God would somehow put this incontrovertible evidence in front of us about our relationship to other living organisms and expect us to disbelieve it. I mean, that doesn't make sense at all. So as soon as you kind of get over the anxiety about the whole thing, it actually adds to your sense of awe about this amazing universe that we live in, it doesn't subtract from it at all."

Like many other religious people, Collins is a believer in what is often called "theistic evolution," the idea that God himself created the process of evolution. This idea holds that religion is not at all incompatible with the efforts of science to describe how life evolved on the Earth.

Collins isn't alone. On its website, the National Center for Science Education recently re-posted a 1997 report that found that many scientists see God's hand in evolution.
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#5177 Jan 27, 2014
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>

Why defend the mental illness you call a faith? Why not just admit that believing the earth is 3000 years old is just plain stupid when science shows you that you are wrong?
Creationism is a kind of mental illness that removes its victim from reality, completely deluding them with stupid ideas and thoughts.
Adults need to grow up and face up to reality - the reality that they are idiots who simply don't understand science, or logic and are too lazy and egotistical to care.
You have issues, Jim.
I've never said I believe the earth is 3000 years old. No not once.
The mental illness you should be concerned with is 'repetition'.
Posting the same response without obviously reading the
previous posting is just sick.

I'm not worried you'll change. You'll not read this either.
Jim

London, UK

#5178 Jan 27, 2014
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
You have issues, Jim.
I've never said I believe the earth is 3000 years old. No not once.
The mental illness you should be concerned with is 'repetition'.
Posting the same response without obviously reading the
previous posting is just sick.
I'm not worried you'll change. You'll not read this either.
Its because you're a Creationist Cult member who believes the earth is 3000 years old, that you are embarrassing to us all.

Why not just f*ck off back to your ignorant cave where reality can't cause you any further distress?

There's no god and there never has been, obviously this fact troubles your cowardly mind.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#5179 Jan 27, 2014
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Give up Creationist Cult Member troll, you can't pray away Evolution. You're just an ape who's hallucinating that you're special.
He said he's an Episcopalian. The Episcopalians worship well tailored clothing and good manners, not an actual deity.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#5181 Jan 27, 2014
Thinking wrote:
I haven't found him to be particularly well mannered. Maybe his dress sense is better.
<quoted text>
I think he's a poe, and I find him fairly funny.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#5183 Jan 27, 2014
Amused

Lowell, MA

#5184 Jan 27, 2014
Thinking wrote:
When he claimed his church of only 35 would be saved I was going tell him they'd just split off another leaving just 15.
But I made a pot of tea instead because he made some derogatory comments about a part of London with a mainly Asian population and I want no part in fuelling racism on Topix.
<quoted text>
I didn't get the reference. I've never been to London, and have zero knowledge about who lives where in that city. Where I live, the population is about 30% or more Asian, mostly resettled Southeast Asian refugees, although there's also a significant Indian population. My own household is a majority Asian household. So, anti Asian racism isn't favored here, either.

Dallas, TX

#5185 Jan 28, 2014
to all the believers;
imagine that you had the power of your God. think of all the people you could help and all the suffering you could end. no more rape, war, poverty,starvation. disease, torture etc.
Now explain to me why someone would choose to follow a god that has that power but chooses not to use it.
Lisa

United States

#5187 Jan 28, 2014
Blaming God for what evil mankind does to one another? Sounds like an excuse for bad behavior...
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5190 Jan 28, 2014
We don't? lol according to you maybe. Its a fallen world. Sin entered this world through Adam and Eve. This isn't heaven and bad things happen. Apparently you think this world IS heaven. Funny how you want to blame God for all the bad things that go on yet you don't want to give him credit for all the good things.
Jim

London, UK

#5191 Jan 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Angel I just give up on ever being able to educate you. Save your hate for someone who cares
How can you educate anyone when your knowledge is so sh*t out of date?

I mean you actually believe that the earth is 3000 years old ffs.
Jim

London, UK

#5192 Jan 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
We don't? lol according to you maybe. Its a fallen world. Sin entered this world through Adam and Eve. This isn't heaven and bad things happen. Apparently you think this world IS heaven. Funny how you want to blame God for all the bad things that go on yet you don't want to give him credit for all the good things.
Cool story bro, pity its complete bollocks. Actually not a pity.
Jim

London, UK

#5193 Jan 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Since there's no such thing as god, your claim that "Atheists blame god" is completely full of sh*t.

Tell us when your Creationism starts to take off will you?

Dallas, TX

#5196 Jan 28, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Angel I just give up on ever being able to educate you. Save your hate for someone who cares
I dont need you to "educate" me Anti. If i wanted that type of an educattion i would go to wikipedia myself.

Are you going to answer the question? How can a loving god let terrible things happen if he has the power to stop it?
No of course you wont answer it the answer isn't on wikipedia.

Dallas, TX

#5197 Jan 28, 2014
Lisa wrote:
Blaming God for what evil mankind does to one another? Sounds like an excuse for bad behavior...
Not what I said.

If you had the power to stop something bad from happening would you? Of course you would.

If you had the power to stop ALL bad things from happening within the blink of an eye would you? of course you would.

If you had that power and did nothing you would either be a sadist, or you would be lying about having that power in the first place.

either way a person like this deserves NO adoration or worship!
Amused

Lowell, MA

#5198 Jan 28, 2014
Lisa wrote:
How, exactly, are tsunami, earthquakes, tornadoes, wildfires, hurricanes, drought, floods, or epidemics "evil mankind does to one another"? Sounds like events beyond human control. If there's no god, then not affixing any blame to such events is the only sensible thing to do. If there is a god, then either he/she/it is powerless to prevent such things or he/she/it has the power to prevent them, but chooses not to.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#5199 Jan 28, 2014
Angel wants to blame things on God instead of man. Read Genesis Angel and you will realize it was man that brought sin into this world, not God.

Regardless of what you think, one day you will meet your maker and I feel sorry for you. You will be begging for forgiveness but it will be too late.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 31 min Eagle 12 12,792
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 43 min Eagle 12 247,517
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 1 hr Thinking 47,832
Hitler was Catholic 5 hr Thinking 3
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... 5 hr serfs up 14
Proof of God for the Atheist 5 hr thetruth 129
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 7 hr Thinking 25
More from around the web