'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#4801 Jan 9, 2014
swerty wrote:
<quoted text>Christianity borrowed its central myths and ceremonies from other ancient religions. The ancient world was rife with tales of virgin births, miracle-working saviors, tripartite gods, gods taking human form, gods arising from the dead, heavens and hells, and days of judgment. In addition to the myths, many of the ceremonies of ancient religions also match those of that syncretic latecomer, Christianity. To cite but one example (there are many others), consider Mithraism, a Persian religion predating Christianity by centuries. Mithra, the savior of the Mithraic religion and a god who took human form, was born of a virgin; he belonged to the holy trinity and was a link between heaven and Earth; and he ascended into heaven after his death. His followers believed in heaven and hell, looked forward to a day of judgment, and referred to Mithra as "the Light of the World." They also practiced baptism (for purification purposes) and ritual cannibalism—the eating of bread and the drinking of wine to symbolize the eating and drinking of the god’s body and blood. Given all this, Mithra's birthday should come as no surprise: December 25th; this event was, of course, celebrated by Mithra’s followers at midnight.

Mithraism is but the most striking example of the appearance of these myth
No christian on here or elsewhere will ever understand that their religion is borrowed. I've listed all of the different stories that are almost identical to the Jesus story several times...even though they are older than the Jesus story, no Christian ever wants to see the factual history. Anti is a specialist in this art of denial :-)
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4802 Jan 9, 2014
The major reason why no Mithraic influence on first-century
Christianity is possible is the timing: it's all wrong! The
flowering of Mithraism occurred after the close of the New
Testament canon, much too late for it to have influenced anything
that appears in the New Testament.[9] Moreover, no monuments for
the cult can be dated earlier than A.D. 90-100, and even this
dating requires us to make some exceedingly generous assumptions.
Chronological difficulties, then, make the possibility of a
Mithraic influence on early Christianity extremely improbable.
Certainly, there remains no credible evidence for such an
influence.

But why do I even bother? You have already said you don't really care about sources or the truth.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#4803 Jan 9, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
The major reason why no Mithraic influence on first-century
Christianity is possible is the timing: it's all wrong! The
flowering of Mithraism occurred after the close of the New
Testament canon, much too late for it to have influenced anything
that appears in the New Testament.[9] Moreover, no monuments for
the cult can be dated earlier than A.D. 90-100, and even this
dating requires us to make some exceedingly generous assumptions.
Chronological difficulties, then, make the possibility of a
Mithraic influence on early Christianity extremely improbable.
Certainly, there remains no credible evidence for such an
influence.

But why do I even bother? You have already said you don't really care about sources or the truth.
You are incorrect and sources of the truth have said that way before any of us have. You don't bother.... You simply don't ever give any acknowledgement for facts. Not your opinion, but facts. Whatever source you have obtained your information from is waaayyyyyy wrong.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#4804 Jan 9, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
The major reason why no Mithraic influence on first-century
Christianity is possible is the timing: it's all wrong! The
flowering of Mithraism occurred after the close of the New
Testament canon, much too late for it to have influenced anything
that appears in the New Testament.[9] Moreover, no monuments for
the cult can be dated earlier than A.D. 90-100, and even this
dating requires us to make some exceedingly generous assumptions.
Chronological difficulties, then, make the possibility of a
Mithraic influence on early Christianity extremely improbable.
Certainly, there remains no credible evidence for such an
influence.

But why do I even bother? You have already said you don't really care about sources or the truth.
Christianity as a while us a borrowed religion....as was said in my original post. There are at least 7 Jesus stories alone. Whether you acknowledge them or not...as I said
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4805 Jan 9, 2014
again......I don't know why I bother presenting you with evidence that you will never accept no matter what. You are more concerned with confirming your own flawed beliefs than in the truth. You are a lost cause

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#4806 Jan 9, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
again......I don't know why I bother presenting you with evidence that you will never accept no matter what. You are more concerned with confirming your own flawed beliefs than in the truth. You are a lost cause
Lol..you are the lost cause... 7 stories anti... 7...not just the one you or the other fellow were talking about. They predate Christianity. I'm not listing them again so don't ask me to. You ignored them the first time and will no doubt do it again, as you are now.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4807 Jan 9, 2014
wow......7 whole stories? Amazing. I can guarantee you that I can refute every single one of them if I wanted to take the time to do it. Do you realize how much time and effort you have put in over the years trying to find every possible reason not to believe in God? Oh, and by the way, there is no way you can say there isn't a God because you are far from all knowing. Just another reason atheism is for dummies.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#4808 Jan 9, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
wow......7 whole stories? Amazing. I can guarantee you that I can refute every single one of them if I wanted to take the time to do it. Do you realize how much time and effort you have put in over the years trying to find every possible reason not to believe in God? Oh, and by the way, there is no way you can say there isn't a God because you are far from all knowing. Just another reason atheism is for dummies.
Do you realize how much you've wasted by believing? You could argue with them, as I said lol. You would still be wrong in my opinion. Unlike you, I really don't give a shit what you believe or don't. I just don't agree with ya, and I'll let ya know that and many other facts when you make posts that are not factual. I like facts...unlike you who just likes to attempt to ruffle feathers. You have no belief, you're just a silly ole troll ;-)

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#4809 Jan 9, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
wow......7 whole stories? Amazing. I can guarantee you that I can refute every single one of them if I wanted to take the time to do it. Do you realize how much time and effort you have put in over the years trying to find every possible reason not to believe in God? Oh, and by the way, there is no way you can say there isn't a God because you are far from all knowing. Just another reason atheism is for dummies.

Oh and I've never said that there is for sure no god...all I've ever said is that the evidence of one hasn't ever been found. So I will not say that a god exists or many gods exist... Unlike you, who is yet also far from all knowing, who claims to "know" that one exists. As I've said many times before...you are the arrogant one...not I.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4810 Jan 9, 2014
Are you saying God might exist?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#4811 Jan 9, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Are you saying God might exist?
Sure...I highly doubt it, but I can't honestly answer no to that question. There is nothing so far that has convinced me that a god exists, but there were many things that pointed me to no.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#4812 Jan 9, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Are you saying God might exist?
I need to add that if I said that the Christian god exists I would have to say that all of them do. There is no more evidence for that god than any others in my opinion.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#4813 Jan 9, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Are you saying God might exist?
Can you honestly say that you are 100% certain that god does exist.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4814 Jan 9, 2014
I think the evidence is overwhelming that God does exist...yes.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#4815 Jan 9, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
I think the evidence is overwhelming that God does exist...yes.
I disagree, but that's ok
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4816 Jan 9, 2014
yes I know you do. Do your in laws know you think they are delusional?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#4817 Jan 9, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
yes I know you do. Do your in laws know you think they are delusional?
Yes, they do lol. However it was a much more lighter tone when I let them know that I felt that way. As I said before though...they don't judge a person by their religious beliefs or lack there of.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4818 Jan 9, 2014
of course not. I'm sure it causes them a lot of pain though. Especially for their son.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#4819 Jan 9, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
of course not. I'm sure it causes them a lot of pain though. Especially for their son.
It hurts their heart yes, but I think it may surprise you to know that they do understand why he feels the way he feels.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#4820 Jan 9, 2014
Plenty of atheists have done good without religion

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 9 min Amused 451
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 14 min Subduction Zone 70,012
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Into The Night 30,117
News Atheism and cowardice (Nov '11) 3 hr Eagle 12 12,674
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 22 hr yehoshooah adam 3,779
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) Wed superwilly 579
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Tue Eagle 12 258,469
More from around the web