'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#4740 Jan 7, 2014
My husbands parent have been missionaries in Honduras for years. He lived there for years...very dangerous place now...it's definitely not a vacation. A whole lot of time away from his kids when they moved back to the states. It's a hard job for the person and their family.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4741 Jan 7, 2014
if your husbands parents are missionaries I don't get why he would marry an atheist. Talk about being unequally yoked.
Whoa

Chillicothe, OH

#4742 Jan 7, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
lets all stand up and give chilli an ovation. She volunteers and brings meals to the elderly. Whoopti freaking do. All churches, according to miss brilliant, are only looking for a 10% donation every month. Its actually pretty comical reading all your bs. Missionaries get a free vacation huh? You have got to be kidding. Missionaries have been killed in foreign countries for being Christian. They also serve in some of the poorest countries on earth. They know sacrifices you can't even dream of. You are honestly nothing more than an atheist caricature.
You mean the countries that later come back to be our enemies????? I know several missionaries that went to foriegn countries and come back to tell of their travels and showing pictures but how many volunteer in the mountains and hollows of West VA., Ky. where people are living in terrible conditions in our own country. Ever see the conditions our American Indians live in here in our own country? The code talkers of WWll who came back after serving their country to live in horrible conditions and no missionaries showed up to help them. I BELIEVE IN HELPING YOUR OWN FELLOW COUNTRYMEN FIRST, you ever see kids starving in our own country? It happens and yet people like you want to run out to foriegn countries instead of caring about their own country. I could care less that a missionary gets killed in foriegn countries, they knew the risk and think more of foriegn people than their own. YOU LIVE HERE ANDYOU MADE YOUR MONEY HERE so think about your OWN PEOPLE first. OUR government gives enough money and food to the foriegn countries without churches asking for more to send out of the country. AND yes the local Methodist church does send bills to you if you get behind, tell me the name of your church and I will send you a copy and you call and verify it. LOts of so called churches take advantage of people by scaring them as Oral Roberts did and many others like him. AND YOU ARE a MONEY HUNGRY ANTI AMERICAN who cares more for yourself than your fellow neighbors. AND YES I DO NOT BELIEVE IN FAIRY TALES BUT I MIGHT START BELIEVING IF YOU JUST ANSWER MY QUESTION-----WHERE DID God Come FROM? Who created God so he could create heaven and earth, Adam and eve and tell the story of Jesus?? YOU ARE TWO FACED BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT ANSWER!!!!!!!!!! YOUR MIRROR JUST CRACKED>

Location hidden

#4743 Jan 7, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
if your husbands parents are missionaries I don't get why he would marry an atheist. Talk about being unequally yoked.
He's an atheist as well.

Location hidden

#4744 Jan 7, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
If you had seen the things he has seen you might make the same decision. Maybe not, but possibly.

Location hidden

#4745 Jan 7, 2014
Whoa wrote:
<quoted text>You mean the countries that later come back to be our enemies????? I know several missionaries that went to foriegn countries and come back to tell of their travels and showing pictures but how many volunteer in the mountains and hollows of West VA., Ky. where people are living in terrible conditions in our own country. Ever see the conditions our American Indians live in here in our own country? The code talkers of WWll who came back after serving their country to live in horrible conditions and no missionaries showed up to help them. I BELIEVE IN HELPING YOUR OWN FELLOW COUNTRYMEN FIRST, you ever see kids starving in our own country? It happens and yet people like you want to run out to foriegn countries instead of caring about their own country. I could care less that a missionary gets killed in foriegn countries, they knew the risk and think more of foriegn people than their own. YOU LIVE HERE ANDYOU MADE YOUR MONEY HERE so think about your OWN PEOPLE first. OUR government gives enough money and food to the foriegn countries without churches asking for more to send out of the country. AND yes the local Methodist church does send bills to you if you get behind, tell me the name of your church and I will send you a copy and you call and verify it. LOts of so called churches take advantage of people by scaring them as Oral Roberts did and many others like him. AND YOU ARE a MONEY HUNGRY ANTI AMERICAN who cares more for yourself than your fellow neighbors. AND YES I DO NOT BELIEVE IN FAIRY TALES BUT I MIGHT START BELIEVING IF YOU JUST ANSWER MY QUESTION-----WHERE DID God Come FROM? Who created God so he could create heaven and earth, Adam and eve and tell the story of Jesus?? YOU ARE TWO FACED BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT ANSWER!!!!!!!!!! YOUR MIRROR JUST CRACKED>
Although I completely agree that more should be done here, and my husband and I are both atheist, I don't think it's fair to completely discount every missionary because of some churches that choose to not focus solely on the people here. I know my father in laws church helps the local community and beyond here as well as sending people on mission trips, and he is very much a helping hand in here too, so I cannot agree to look down on what the missionaries try to do. The only thing that I an my husband have always said is that there should be more food and clothes given out than bibles, and bibles are more often what's distributed more than the things that are actually needed.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4746 Jan 7, 2014
oh....his parents must be so proud.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#4747 Jan 7, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Absolutely agree with you!

Until you crowbar a christian's mind out of the late Iron Age, they'll always be lagging behind.

Location hidden

#4748 Jan 7, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
oh....his parents must be so proud.
They are actually...they are good parents. They don't base who he is as a person on his choice to not be religious. There is no reason not to be proud of him. He's a good man. Of course they worry for his soul just like you would for your child, but that is understandable considering their beliefs. Is there really a need to be so sarcastic?
Lnc

United States

#4749 Jan 7, 2014
People are increasingly turning to mindfulness mediation to manage health issues, and meditation classes are being offered through schools and hospitals.

But doctors have questioned whether this ancient Eastern practice really offers measurable health benefits. A fresh review of the evidence should help sort that out.

Meditation does help manage anxiety, depression and pain, according to the 47 studies analyzed in JAMA Internal Medicine on Monday, but does not appear to help with other problems, including substance abuse, sleep and weight.

"We have moderate confidence that mindfulness practices have a beneficial effect," wrote the author of the paper, Dr. Madhav Goyal of Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, in an email to Shots. He says the positive effects on anxiety, depression and pain can be modest, but are seen across multiple studies.

"It was surprising to see that with so little training [about 2.5 hours of meditation practice per week] we were still seeing consistent effects," Goyal wrote.

One type of mindfulness training that was used in many of the research studies is called Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (or MBSR). It's typically taught in eight sessions.

Think of it as Buddhist meditation "but without the Buddhism," says Jon Kabat-Zinn, the father of MBSR. It's completely secular.

The focus of mindfulness meditation is to train the brain to stay in the moment. To do this, practitioners are taught to let go of the regrets of the past as well as anxieties about the future.

This study reviewed earlier research that evaluated the effectiveness of meditation for managing a whole range of medical conditions — from breast cancer, irritable bowel syndrome and fibromyalgia to depression.
Related NPR Stories
Buddhist Meditation: A Management Skill?
Combating Depression With Meditation, Diet
Be Here Now: Meditation For The Body And Brain

With diseases like breast cancer, meditation is not used as a treatment for the disease. It's supportive care designed to help a person deal with the stress that comes with cancer.

In one breast cancer study, researchers enrolled 163 women with stage 1 or stage 2 breast cancer. The women were randomized to either an 8-week mindfulness-based stress reduction class or to other kinds of more standard supportive care.

Techniques taught during the meditation class included visualizations to help shift attention away from thoughts that cause anxiety.

One technique is called the body scan. This is where you lie back on a mat and the teacher has you check in with each part of your body

You're told to relax all the tension in your jaws, then your neck, your shoulders, and so on, down the body.(Here's an audio link to the body scan.)

The point is stop the mind from wandering off and to connect with your body. Do your toes feel colder than the rest of your body? Are you feeling resistance in any part of the body? The teacher guides participants to tune in.

After four months, the women who meditated experienced significant improvements in what the researchers called quality of life and coping outcomes, compared to the women in other groups.

Clearly, meditation is not for everyone. It's a discipline that needs daily time and attention.

And in many of the studies meditation was no more effective than medications and other non-medical treatments, including exercise.

In addition, the meta-analysis found little evidence that meditation programs could help treat substance abuse, sleep or weight issues.

But the researchers concluded that meditation has no harmful side effects. And it's free and something people can easily do at home.

Here's my favorite mindfulness visualization: If you've got a nagging thought that won't go away, just picture a cloud. Visualize that nagging thought being attached to the cloud. Now watch it float away.

What's left behind? A clear, blue sky. And hopefully a clearer mind. At least for the moment!
Thinking

Poole, UK

#4750 Jan 7, 2014
Are you saying Atheists should not consort with simple folk?
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely agree with you!
Until you crowbar a christian's mind out of the late Iron Age, they'll always be lagging behind.
Jim

Cambridge, UK

#4751 Jan 8, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
lets all stand up and give chilli an ovation. She volunteers and brings meals to the elderly. Whoopti freaking do. All churches, according to miss brilliant, are only looking for a 10% donation every month. Its actually pretty comical reading all your bs. Missionaries get a free vacation huh? You have got to be kidding. Missionaries have been killed in foreign countries for being Christian. They also serve in some of the poorest countries on earth. They know sacrifices you can't even dream of. You are honestly nothing more than an atheist caricature.
It must be frustrating for you to wake up everyday, having no valid arguments against Atheism.
Jim

Cambridge, UK

#4752 Jan 8, 2014
Lnc wrote:
People are increasingly turning to mindfulness mediation to manage health issues, and meditation classes are being offered through schools and hospitals.
But doctors have questioned whether this ancient Eastern practice really offers measurable health benefits. A fresh review of the evidence should help sort that out.
Meditation does help manage anxiety, depression and pain, according to the 47 studies analyzed in JAMA Internal Medicine on Monday, but does not appear to help with other problems, including substance abuse, sleep and weight.
"We have moderate confidence that mindfulness practices have a beneficial effect," wrote the author of the paper, Dr. Madhav Goyal of Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, in an email to Shots. He says the positive effects on anxiety, depression and pain can be modest, but are seen across multiple studies.
"It was surprising to see that with so little training [about 2.5 hours of meditation practice per week] we were still seeing consistent effects," Goyal wrote.
One type of mindfulness training that was used in many of the research studies is called Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (or MBSR). It's typically taught in eight sessions.
Think of it as Buddhist meditation "but without the Buddhism," says Jon Kabat-Zinn, the father of MBSR. It's completely secular.
The focus of mindfulness meditation is to train the brain to stay in the moment. To do this, practitioners are taught to let go of the regrets of the past as well as anxieties about the future.
This study reviewed earlier research that evaluated the effectiveness of meditation for managing a whole range of medical conditions — from breast cancer, irritable bowel syndrome and fibromyalgia to depression.
Related NPR Stories
Buddhist Meditation: A Management Skill?
Combating Depression With Meditation, Diet
Be Here Now: Meditation For The Body And Brain
With diseases like breast cancer, meditation is not used as a treatment for the disease. It's supportive care designed to help a person deal with the stress that comes with cancer.
In one breast cancer study, researchers enrolled 163 women with stage 1 or stage 2 breast cancer. The women were randomized to either an 8-week mindfulness-based stress reduction class or to other kinds of more standard supportive care.
Techniques taught during the meditation class included visualizations to help shift attention away from thoughts that cause anxiety.
One technique is called the body scan. This is where you lie back on a mat and the teacher has you check in with each part of your body
You're told to relax all the tension in your jaws, then your neck, your shoulders, and so on, down the body.(Here's an audio link to the body scan.)
The point is stop the mind from wandering off and to connect with your body. Do your toes und little evidence that meditation programs could help treat substance abuse, sleep or weight issues.
But the researchers concluded that meditation has no harmful side effects. And it's free and something people can easily do at home.
Here's my favorite mindfulness visualization: If you've got a nagging thought that won't go away, just picture a cloud. Visualize that nagging thought being attached to the cloud. Now watch it float away.
What's left behind? A clear, blue sky. And hopefully a clearer mind. At least for the moment!
Look everybody, the Creationist Cult Member puked spam in our forum again.

Peace
Jim

Cambridge, UK

#4753 Jan 8, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
I'm right. You haven't done anything for anybody for years. If I'm wrong then prove it
Start by proving the god you tried to lie to us about. With evidence please.
Lnc

United States

#4754 Jan 8, 2014
Some interesting views

"Preach the Gospel at all times, and if necessary, use words" is a quote widely attributed to St. Francis of Assisi. It also seems to be the motto of Pope Francis. Instead of just talking about abstract doctrines, he consistently lives out his beliefs in public ways that have grabbed the world's attention. His example of humility, compassion, and authenticity resonate powerfully in Washington, where cynicism is rampant, pride remains even after the proverbial falls, and an ideology of extreme individualism has overtaken a significant faction within our politics.

The Pope's words and deeds fascinate us because they are genuine and selfless. How could a leader of global significance spend time cold calling pregnant women in distress, kissing the feet of young Muslim inmates, or embracing a disfigured man? What sorts of values motivate such behavior? These stories touched our hearts, but they appeared irrelevant to our politics.

Then the Pope started talking about our wallets, which, according to a several commentators on the far right, instantly transformed him into a threat to capitalism itself.

His appropriately named, Joy of the Gospel, caused a stir when he asked questions like, "How can it be that it is not a news item when an elderly homeless person dies of exposure, but it is news when the stock market loses two points?" He had the audacity to say, "Some people continue to defend trickle-down theories which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and inclusiveness in the world. This opinion, which has never been confirmed by the facts, expresses a crude and naïve trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power and in the sacralized workings of the prevailing economic system. Meanwhile, the excluded are still waiting."

More reasonable pundits from across the political spectrum understand the value of the Pontiff's challenge to "the idolatry of money and the dictatorship of an impersonal economy lacking a truly human purpose." Conservative columnist Michael Gerson, who calls himself a "defender of market economics," wrote "Absent a moral commitment to human dignity, justice and compassion, capitalism is conducive to materialism, individualism and selfishness. It is a system that depends on virtues it does not create." These are the concerns Pope Francis has and the values he is lifting up.

As an evangelical whose work has focused on the intersection of faith and public life, let me offer two additional reflections that will render Pope Francis more understandable to our public life.

Peace to all
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4755 Jan 8, 2014
I guess he believes since there is evil in the world then there must not be a God? Never understood that way of thinking. This is a fallen world because of man kind.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#4756 Jan 8, 2014
People like you make the world a little uglier and a lot dumber.
antiatheist wrote:
I guess he believes since there is evil in the world then there must not be a God? Never understood that way of thinking. This is a fallen world because of man kind.

Location hidden

#4757 Jan 8, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Ummmm no. It would be better for you to ask what his feelings are than to guess cause that guess was very cookie cutter.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#4758 Jan 8, 2014
Lnc wrote:
Some interesting views
"Preach the Gospel at all times, and if necessary, use words" is a quote widely attributed to ...
Chorus of Vikings: "Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Beautiful Spam, Wonderful Spam"

Announcer: "Another smashing Viking victory was at the Green Dragon Cafe..."
Amused

Lowell, MA

#4759 Jan 8, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
Because, of course, children have to be indoctrinated to accept all of their parents' beliefs without any questions, and no one thinks for themselves. What's more, no one should marry anyone whose views do not exactly mirror their own in every detail, because that might lead to an outbreak of thinking. Next thing you know, everyone will be thinking. It'll be anarchy, I tell you.

Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has: it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but--more frequently than not--struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.- Martin Luther

What can only be taught by the rod and with blows will not lead to much good; they will not remain pious any longer than the rod is behind them.
Martin Luther, The Great Catechism. Second Command (1529).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism is a mental illness 1 hr Reason Personified 9
Good arguments against Christianity 1 hr Reason Personified 204
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 2 hr Eagle 12 141
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Chimney1 43,191
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 hr Eagle 12 256,555
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Eagle 12 18,514
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 4 hr Eagle 12 751
A Universe from Nothing? 5 hr u196533dm 510
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 15 hr Thinking 5,688
More from around the web