'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#4720 Jan 7, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
no actually Catholics are not Christian. Can some catholics be Christians? Yes. But as far as their denominational beliefs........not Christian.
Per definition and history though, Catholics are Christians, just as they claim to be. The definition of the religion really is not something that you should argue with. It doesn't make sense to try to change the definition of the religion just to claim that a denomination is not part of it
Lnc

United States

#4721 Jan 7, 2014
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Per definition and history though, Catholics are Christians, just as they claim to be. The definition of the religion really is not something that you should argue with. It doesn't make sense to try to change the definition of the religion just to claim that a denomination is not part of it
The Pope seems to feel He is a Christian...and has a following in the R C Church.

Peace

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#4722 Jan 7, 2014
Lnc wrote:
<quoted text>The Pope seems to feel He is a Christian...and has a following in the R C Church.

Peace
You are correct
Amused

Lowell, MA

#4723 Jan 7, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
no actually Catholics are not Christian. Can some catholics be Christians? Yes. But as far as their denominational beliefs........not Christian.
A history lesson for you. From the founding of christianity right up to 1517, when Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses on the door of the Castle Church in Wittenburg, the catholic church was the only christian church in the world. Since 1517, numerous other denominations broke away from catholicism, or broke away from a denomination that broke away from catholicism, but for over 1,000 years, the family tree of christian denominations had no branches. Each of the breakaway groups has defined themselves as the only "true" christian sect. When they split, each sub-group proclaims itself the only true denomination.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4724 Jan 7, 2014
sorry amused but I'm not taking the time to read your cut and paste. Catholics may indeed consider themselves Christians but I would venture to say the vast majority of them doesn't even realize what that means. Worship of a pope? Using a priest to talk to God? Saved by good works? Please.........none of this is biblical.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#4725 Jan 7, 2014
So you don't like conversing with people with a higher standard of living than you.
antiatheist wrote:
mikko I told you sweden doesn't matter. Go eat your chocolate and leave such matters alone
Amused

Lowell, MA

#4726 Jan 7, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
sorry amused but I'm not taking the time to read your ....
Of course you aren't. You are factophobic, and avoid even the possibility of encountering a fact that does not accord with your fevered imaginings.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#4727 Jan 7, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
sorry amused but I'm not taking the time to read your cut and paste. Catholics may indeed consider themselves Christians but I would venture to say the vast majority of them doesn't even realize what that means. Worship of a pope? Using a priest to talk to God? Saved by good works? Please.........none of this is biblical.
Actually you're wrong.

The Bible clearly states that we will be judged by our works.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#4728 Jan 7, 2014
don't care about mr can't reply

Catholics are Christians!

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#4729 Jan 7, 2014
Mikko wrote:
I know what you mean.

I doubt he'll respond to my post about the Bible saying that we're judged by our works.

I'll take any silence as his admission that I'm correct in what I say.
Lnc

United States

#4730 Jan 7, 2014
Mikko wrote:
Yes !
ChilliGal

Chillicothe, OH

#4731 Jan 7, 2014
antiatheist wrote:
man honestly you have no clue what you are talking about. You think people are forced to tithe? Thats ridiculous. Its totally voluntary. Anyway, I wasn't even including tithing.......Christians do what more that atheists ever thought about doing.
YOU ARE WRONG ON BOTH COUNTS! My local Methodist church sends reminder bills to its members who are behind on their tithing of at least 10% of their income, some have changed churches over it. There are MANY, MANY good MORALpeople who do not attend church because they cannot believe in fairy tales and yet in everyday life they volunteer for meals on wheels, local homeless shelter, started their own food pantry for the poor, help their elderly neighbors free of charge by mowing their yards, picking up groceries, taking them to dr.'s apptmts. and dozens of other things that help people here in America that are American citizens. They do not go to foriegn countries and get a free vacation by doing missionary work that a church's members pay for, they help the people in their own home towns and make a difference, you don't even know the meaning of their help or the extent of it. They do it because it is the MORAL thing to do and they do not come back from foriegn countries and visit churches telling about their experience and begging for more money to help foreign people, they do it for NO recocognition or pats on the back. You have the attitude that You and your fellow bible thumpers are superior to everyone else and don't even know the very people you are so quick to judge. Tell me, did your husband, father, brother or son serve in one of American's wars????
ChilliGal

Chillicothe, OH

#4732 Jan 7, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what you mean.
I doubt he'll respond to my post about the Bible saying that we're judged by our works.
I'll take any silence as his admission that I'm correct in what I say.
I could care LESS about what the bible says because I judge myself and taught my children the same thing. I am the one that has to see that person in the mirror every day and I try to help someone each and every day, sometimes when my children were small and time was sparse it might have been as small as a kind word and a hot meal to the lonely widow next door or a kind word and smile to someone who looked like they could use it. Other days it was sitting with a sick person while their mate got their rest or went out for awhile to get a break. My children were taught from two on that Santa might not be able to find some children so each one picked one of their GOOD, UNBROKEN toys to take to the local toy drive as well as pick out one new toy from the local store to donate. I made sets of hats and mittons for my children and for everyone I made for them I made one for their school to hand out to kids who did not have any. Instead of being at home for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, my grown children, grandchildren and myself always volunteer at the local homeless shelters which also serves to poor and lonely people. My daughters and I help cook, my sons wash dishes and grandchildren serve and even the two grandsons, 6 & 8, clean the tables. I only please myself and judge myself----forget about the bible----I am liked in my community and it is never brought up that I do not attend church, don't have to, I AM GIVING and MORAL!
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4733 Jan 7, 2014
lets all stand up and give chilli an ovation. She volunteers and brings meals to the elderly. Whoopti freaking do. All churches, according to miss brilliant, are only looking for a 10% donation every month. Its actually pretty comical reading all your bs. Missionaries get a free vacation huh? You have got to be kidding. Missionaries have been killed in foreign countries for being Christian. They also serve in some of the poorest countries on earth. They know sacrifices you can't even dream of. You are honestly nothing more than an atheist caricature.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#4734 Jan 7, 2014
mohammed was also into tithing six year olds. Or something like that.
ChilliGal wrote:
<quoted text> YOU ARE WRONG ON BOTH COUNTS! My local Methodist church sends reminder bills to its members who are behind on their tithing of at least 10% of their income, some have changed churches over it. There are MANY, MANY good MORALpeople who do not attend church because they cannot believe in fairy tales and yet in everyday life they volunteer for meals on wheels, local homeless shelter, started their own food pantry for the poor, help their elderly neighbors free of charge by mowing their yards, picking up groceries, taking them to dr.'s apptmts. and dozens of other things that help people here in America that are American citizens. They do not go to foriegn countries and get a free vacation by doing missionary work that a church's members pay for, they help the people in their own home towns and make a difference, you don't even know the meaning of their help or the extent of it. They do it because it is the MORAL thing to do and they do not come back from foriegn countries and visit churches telling about their experience and begging for more money to help foreign people, they do it for NO recocognition or pats on the back. You have the attitude that You and your fellow bible thumpers are superior to everyone else and don't even know the very people you are so quick to judge. Tell me, did your husband, father, brother or son serve in one of American's wars????
Thinking

Poole, UK

#4735 Jan 7, 2014
Well done. Keep talking about your works, you may shame some religitards into acting charitably too.
ChilliGal wrote:
<quoted text> I could care LESS about what the bible says because I judge myself and taught my children the same thing. I am the one that has to see that person in the mirror every day and I try to help someone each and every day, sometimes when my children were small and time was sparse it might have been as small as a kind word and a hot meal to the lonely widow next door or a kind word and smile to someone who looked like they could use it. Other days it was sitting with a sick person while their mate got their rest or went out for awhile to get a break. My children were taught from two on that Santa might not be able to find some children so each one picked one of their GOOD, UNBROKEN toys to take to the local toy drive as well as pick out one new toy from the local store to donate. I made sets of hats and mittons for my children and for everyone I made for them I made one for their school to hand out to kids who did not have any. Instead of being at home for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, my grown children, grandchildren and myself always volunteer at the local homeless shelters which also serves to poor and lonely people. My daughters and I help cook, my sons wash dishes and grandchildren serve and even the two grandsons, 6 & 8, clean the tables. I only please myself and judge myself----forget about the bible----I am liked in my community and it is never brought up that I do not attend church, don't have to, I AM GIVING and MORAL!
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4736 Jan 7, 2014
my guess is more than half of you, wait, all of you rarely do squat for anyone. Its easy to get on here and start talking about all you do but you have no proof of it. Whatever you have done, its not enough. You still sin on a daily basis and only Jesus can save you of that.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#4737 Jan 7, 2014
You've been wrong about everything else so why break the habit, replytard?
antiatheist wrote:
my guess is more than half of you, wait, all of you rarely do squat for anyone. Its easy to get on here and start talking about all you do but you have no proof of it. Whatever you have done, its not enough. You still sin on a daily basis and only Jesus can save you of that.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4738 Jan 7, 2014
I'm right. You haven't done anything for anybody for years. If I'm wrong then prove it
Thinking

Poole, UK

#4739 Jan 7, 2014
Have you noticed that antiatheist is too retarded to use "reply" properly? Too much jesus juice.
ChilliGal wrote:
<quoted text> YOU ARE WRONG ON BOTH COUNTS! My local Methodist church sends reminder bills to its members who are behind on their tithing of at least 10% of their income, some have changed churches over it. There are MANY, MANY good MORALpeople who do not attend church because they cannot believe in fairy tales and yet in everyday life they volunteer for meals on wheels, local homeless shelter, started their own food pantry for the poor, help their elderly neighbors free of charge by mowing their yards, picking up groceries, taking them to dr.'s apptmts. and dozens of other things that help people here in America that are American citizens. They do not go to foriegn countries and get a free vacation by doing missionary work that a church's members pay for, they help the people in their own home towns and make a difference, you don't even know the meaning of their help or the extent of it. They do it because it is the MORAL thing to do and they do not come back from foriegn countries and visit churches telling about their experience and begging for more money to help foreign people, they do it for NO recocognition or pats on the back. You have the attitude that You and your fellow bible thumpers are superior to everyone else and don't even know the very people you are so quick to judge. Tell me, did your husband, father, brother or son serve in one of American's wars????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 3 hr John 811
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Dogen 76,988
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Regolith Based Li... 32,224
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... (Dec '16) 6 hr Frindly 291
Religion sux ? 18 hr believers R vermin 1
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Mon John 258,478
hell is a real place. so.. ahtiesm is a faux li... Sun Eagle 12 - 12
More from around the web