'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7553 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#4328 Dec 26, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
"Happy" Christmas used by the Queen -- history
Christmas is conspicuously the only time of year when the word “merry” receives heavy use.
The greeting “Merry Christmas” dates back to at least 1565, in which year the author of the Hereford Municipal Manuscript wrote “And thus I comytt you to god, who send you a mery Christmas & many.” Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, published in 1843, pushed it forward, as did industrialization:
The first commercially sold Christmas card (also printed in 1843) contained the salutation “A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to You.”
Yet “Merry Christmas” did not gain universal support. The Night Before Christmas (Clement C. Moore’s, I mean, not Nikolai Gogol’s) ends with the words,“A Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night.” Queen Elizabeth II wishes British subjects a “Happy Christmas” in her annual Christmas broadcasts, and the phrase enjoys a broad general currency the U.K.
What accounts for the difference? Queen Elizabeth, a woman of serious low-church piety, is said to prefer “happy” to “merry” because she dislikes “merry’s” connotation of boisterousness, even slight intoxication.(Similarly, in Holland some of the more strictly reformed Dutch prefer Zalig Kerstfeest—“Blessed Christmas”—to Vrolijk Kerstmis—“Merry Christmas.”)
This moral suspicion of “Merry Christmas” dates back to the Methodist churchmen of the Victorian era who sought to promote sobriety among the English working class. Merrymaking of the ancient, alcoholic sort was frowned on year-round, perhaps never more so than during the celebration of the Savior’s birth. The phrase “Merry Christmas” would hang on, but the image of a family sharing a bottle of port or wine in the first commercial Christmas card was to give way to more temperate holiday depictions.
We may no longer associate “merry” with spirits alcoholic as well as high, but the meaning was once familiar.“Merry” appeared in both the Wyclife and King James bibles in reference to intoxication, where it describes an evening in the life of the rich man Nabal:“He held a feast in his house, like the feast of a king; and Nabal’s heart was merry within him, for he was very drunken.”(To wish someone a holiday feast like Nabal’s was to wish him a very good Christmas indeed.)
To certain ears, then,“Happy Christmas” conveys a sober, well-earned enjoyment, the satisfaction resulting from hard work and virtuous living.“Merry Christmas” stirs in us an impulse more primitive and unrestrained: The childlike giddiness of Christmas morning, the rush down the stairs and tearing at paper, the intemperate delight in gifts long hoped-for and wholly undeserved.
Which phrase conveys a more fitting response to the overwhelming, unearned, gift of Christ’s birth? Suffice it to say that when our Lord comes I hope I do not greet him with dignified reserve but instead rush at him with the unguarded, unembarrassed joy of a child at play or man at his cups. Merry Christmas to all!
More queen-spam from the now-panicking desperate creationist troll, bitter at Atheists for not 'playing pretend' with him.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#4329 Dec 26, 2013
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
It's simple Jim. God is the great eternal being who
wants only love for his chosen few.
That god of yours?

Sounds like a real.... d|ck.

Seriously: he sounds **exactly** like the azzhole who, after his evening 12-pack, beats the crap outta his wife,'cause... you know...'cause he *loves* her so much. And he *knows* she's been bad and sh|t.

That's what your god is: a drunken wife-beater.

Disgusting.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4330 Dec 26, 2013
sorry Jim.......I can only be offended by people I respect. You don't qualify

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#4331 Dec 26, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
sorry Jim.......I can only be offended by people I respect. You don't qualify
When you have evidence of god, you will be less bitter at atheists for not playing pretend with you.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4332 Dec 26, 2013
when you can prove to me that atheism is correct then I'll respect you. Until then, not so much

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#4333 Dec 26, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
when you can prove to me that atheism is correct then I'll respect you. Until then, not so much
Atheism is a disbelief in religion, so its you that needs to prove your gods and Atheists just watch you fail again and again.
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#4334 Dec 26, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Evolution has diproven your religious lies decades ago.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4335 Dec 26, 2013
Oh Jim come on now. Please spare me the "I don't have to prove anything" defense. I see you have read the little "atheism" book with all the robotic like talking points. Its honestly so easy to put you in your place that it just isn't fun anymore. Kinda like when you beat someone 50 times at checkers.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Amused

Lowell, MA

#4336 Dec 26, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
That god of yours?
Sounds like a real.... d|ck.
Seriously: he sounds **exactly** like the azzhole who, after his evening 12-pack, beats the crap outta his wife,'cause... you know...'cause he *loves* her so much. And he *knows* she's been bad and sh|t.
That's what your god is: a drunken wife-beater.
Disgusting.
Seriously, Bob, read some of WarforOil's posts more carefully. They are fairly funny send ups of True Christian (TM) posts.
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#4337 Dec 26, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Oh Jim come on now. Please spare me the "I don't have to prove anything" defense. I see you have read the little "atheism" book with all the robotic like talking points. Its honestly so easy to put you in your place that it just isn't fun anymore. Kinda like when you beat someone 50 times at checkers.
Burden of proof had always stoof on the shoulder of the idiot stupid enough to claim god is real in the age of science.
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#4338 Dec 26, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Oh Jim come on now. Please spare me the "I don't have to prove anything" defense.
You religious idiots invented that defense when Atheism - disbelief in religion defined.
LCNlin

United States

#4339 Dec 26, 2013
Atheist trolls,

not Normal atheists and agnostics,

dish it out but

can not take criticism

of their belief system.

Seems there is no scientific proof of atheist religion, philosophy or system of belief.

Some Atheist trolls get rather defensive when people disagree?
Amused

Lowell, MA

#4340 Dec 26, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
So, what you are saying is that you only respect people who think exactly as you do. If someone disagrees with your religious, political, social views, you cannot respect that person. How far do you take that? Do you find yourself unable to respect people who are fans of sports teams other than your favorites? How about people who put the toilet paper on the dispenser in the opposite direction from the one you prefer?
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#4341 Dec 26, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>

You are projecting your illness upon others by talking about a
god you have no evidence for. The real sickness is why you lie
again and again about it.
I'm not lying Jim. There must be a God because
you can't see, hear, or feel him. And he plainly
says he loves you. Be still and listen for his
voice.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#4342 Dec 26, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
Atheist trolls,
dish it out but
can not take criticism
of their belief system.
Seems there is no scientific proof of atheist religion, philosophy or system of belief.
Christarded troll whine and troll in the atheism forum
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#4343 Dec 26, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
Atheist trolls,
dish it out but
can not take criticism
of their belief system.
There's so much proof against religion, that religious trolls have to bother Atheists in forums!!
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#4344 Dec 26, 2013
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not lying Jim. There must be a God because
you can't see, hear, or feel him. And he plainly
says he loves you. Be still and listen for his
voice.
There's no such thing as god, poor religious liars need to get their head checked in the age of science.
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#4345 Dec 26, 2013
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
There must be a God because
you can't see, hear, or feel him.
Religious logic at its finest ;)
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#4346 Dec 27, 2013
We live in a world where when Atheists correct the religious with facts, the religious choose to find simple disbelief offensive.

We must all ask, what compells a religious person to lie to brazenly?
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#4347 Dec 27, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>

Religious logic at its finest ;)
Yes, Jim.
You can't see, hear or feel God.
But he watches you and knows your thoughts.
You can trust him.
Find a televangelist and send in your money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 19 min Paul Porter1 20,590
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 34 min Knowledge- 244,888
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 36 min Knowledge- 10,779
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 57 min ChristineW 14,659
John 3:16 1 hr Shizle 70
Atheists and the "Moses Syndrome" 3 hr Shizle 20
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes 13 hr Shizle 17
More from around the web