'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#4308 Dec 24, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
I'm starting to realize that atheists are really ignorant about God. He has always given us free will to do as we please.
And yet you choose to be a lying, ignorant, quasi-religious, homophobic, closeted gay internet troll.

I'm sure your 'god'... were he to exist... would be shit-canning his entire 'intelligent design department' for allowing an unproven prototype (that would be you) to leave the lab prior to any kind of beta-testing. Unless, of course, you ARE an example of that 'intelligent design'. In which case, proving your 'god' exists got even more difficult for you.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#4309 Dec 24, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
actually most molestation by priests have been homosexuals.
...and you know this to be a fact because you were there? or because you are making [email protected] up as you go along?

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#4310 Dec 24, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
I'm starting to realize that atheists are really ignorant about God. He has always given us free will to do as we please.
Then he shouldn't get mad for people making decisions that might go against his will. If you want a robot make a robot, if you want to make a person with free will dont make a person, give them free will and the throw a fit when the make their own decisions.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4311 Dec 24, 2013
reason..........you said all that before. Try to come up with something new once in a while.

angel.........not mad at the people, I'm mad at the behavior and how it can effect me and all of our children. God gave people the free will to do as they please but there are also consequences.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#4312 Dec 24, 2013
Typotard.
antiatheist wrote:
thats why you are Europe.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4313 Dec 24, 2013
you are irrelevant .... deal with it.
LCNLin

United States

#4314 Dec 24, 2013
Merry Christmas to all

and

Happy Holidays.

Listening for the Queen's Speech tomorrow on Radio Four

JOY

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#4315 Dec 24, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>None of us can pick another person's sexuality for them. Do you remember when you chose your sexuality, or did you let someone else choose it for you? You didn't choose did you? None of us do. We humans can be born heterosexual, homosexual or even asexual, it is all as natural as breathing.
Homosexuality is found in over 600 species, homophobia is found in only one.
\

Actually?

In anti's case?

He **did** let someone else "choose" his "sexuality".

You see, he's a repressed closeted homosexual himself. But, sadly, his ugly religion has dictated to him that he's not allowed to be what he truly is.

This is why he hates everyone; he's miserable and unhappy.

Like so very many Genuine Christians™.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#4316 Dec 24, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>And yet you choose to be a lying, ignorant, quasi-religious, homophobic, closeted gay internet troll.

I'm sure your 'god'... were he to exist... would be shit-canning his entire 'intelligent design department' for allowing an unproven prototype (that would be you) to leave the lab prior to any kind of beta-testing. Unless, of course, you ARE an example of that 'intelligent design'. In which case, proving your 'god' exists got even more difficult for you.
LMAO!
Jim

London, UK

#4317 Dec 26, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
reason..........you said all that before. Try to come up with something new once in a while.
angel.........not mad at the people, I'm mad at the behavior and how it can effect me and all of our children. God gave people the free will to do as they please but there are also consequences.
Offended by simple disbelief, you have a problem
WarForOil

Rowlett, TX

#4318 Dec 26, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>

Offended by simple disbelief, you have a problem
Not offended by simple disbelief. Just extremely simple
people. Jim sounds like a simple name. Are you simple, Jim ?
Don't be afraid, no one will hurt you. You will be happy
at your new home. Friends will visit.

Simple.
Jim

London, UK

#4319 Dec 26, 2013
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
Not offended by simple disbelief. Just extremely simple
people. Jim sounds like a simple name. Are you simple, Jim ?
Don't be afraid, no one will hurt you. You will be happy
at your new home. Friends will visit.
Simple.
Talk when you have evidence of god.
WarForOil

Rowlett, TX

#4320 Dec 26, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>

Talk when you have evidence of god.
It's simple Jim. God is the great eternal being who
wants only love for his chosen few. Are you chosen, Jim ?
You can't hear, see, for feel God, Jim. You just
have to know he loves you and brings you pain
if you don't love him back. God is love and brings
pain, simple Jim.

God loves everyone, but only lets a few into heaven.

Your pain is your confirmation of God's existence.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jim

London, UK

#4321 Dec 26, 2013
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
pain, simple Jim.
Delusional religious liar with no evidence of god who is upset Atheists won't 'play pretend'.
Jim

London, UK

#4322 Dec 26, 2013
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
pain, simple Jim.
You are projecting your illness upon others by talking about a god you have no evidence for. The real sickness is why you lie again and again about it.
Jim

London, UK

#4323 Dec 26, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
God gave people the free will to do as they please but there are also consequences.
Voila - the stupid religious belief that drives your stupid religious prejudices.

Its this belief that is provably false and you can't accept that.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#4324 Dec 26, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Delusional religious liar with no evidence of god who is upset Atheists won't 'play pretend'.
Or fairly good satirist. Read his post again, Jim, with that possibility in mind, and see if your opinion stays the same.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#4325 Dec 26, 2013
Jim you are incapable of offending me.
Jim

London, UK

#4326 Dec 26, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Jim you are incapable of offending me.
You offend rational thought.
LCNlin

United States

#4327 Dec 26, 2013
"Happy" Christmas used by the Queen -- history

Christmas is conspicuously the only time of year when the word “merry” receives heavy use.

The greeting “Merry Christmas” dates back to at least 1565, in which year the author of the Hereford Municipal Manuscript wrote “And thus I comytt you to god, who send you a mery Christmas & many.” Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, published in 1843, pushed it forward, as did industrialization:

The first commercially sold Christmas card (also printed in 1843) contained the salutation “A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to You.”

Yet “Merry Christmas” did not gain universal support. The Night Before Christmas (Clement C. Moore’s, I mean, not Nikolai Gogol’s) ends with the words,“A Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night.” Queen Elizabeth II wishes British subjects a “Happy Christmas” in her annual Christmas broadcasts, and the phrase enjoys a broad general currency the U.K.

What accounts for the difference? Queen Elizabeth, a woman of serious low-church piety, is said to prefer “happy” to “merry” because she dislikes “merry’s” connotation of boisterousness, even slight intoxication.(Similarly, in Holland some of the more strictly reformed Dutch prefer Zalig Kerstfeest—“Blessed Christmas”—to Vrolijk Kerstmis—“Merry Christmas.”)

This moral suspicion of “Merry Christmas” dates back to the Methodist churchmen of the Victorian era who sought to promote sobriety among the English working class. Merrymaking of the ancient, alcoholic sort was frowned on year-round, perhaps never more so than during the celebration of the Savior’s birth. The phrase “Merry Christmas” would hang on, but the image of a family sharing a bottle of port or wine in the first commercial Christmas card was to give way to more temperate holiday depictions.

We may no longer associate “merry” with spirits alcoholic as well as high, but the meaning was once familiar.“Merry” appeared in both the Wyclife and King James bibles in reference to intoxication, where it describes an evening in the life of the rich man Nabal:“He held a feast in his house, like the feast of a king; and Nabal’s heart was merry within him, for he was very drunken.”(To wish someone a holiday feast like Nabal’s was to wish him a very good Christmas indeed.)

To certain ears, then,“Happy Christmas” conveys a sober, well-earned enjoyment, the satisfaction resulting from hard work and virtuous living.“Merry Christmas” stirs in us an impulse more primitive and unrestrained: The childlike giddiness of Christmas morning, the rush down the stairs and tearing at paper, the intemperate delight in gifts long hoped-for and wholly undeserved.

Which phrase conveys a more fitting response to the overwhelming, unearned, gift of Christ’s birth? Suffice it to say that when our Lord comes I hope I do not greet him with dignified reserve but instead rush at him with the unguarded, unembarrassed joy of a child at play or man at his cups. Merry Christmas to all!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 8 min Subduction Zone 28,579
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 36 min Regolith Based Li... 3,517
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Science 67,076
is it ever right to hate Christians as a group? 18 hr superwilly 21
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 18 hr superwilly 462
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Apr 22 IB DaMann 5,975
News Unholy? Atheists should embrace the science of ... Apr 20 Eagle 12 9
More from around the web