'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#3847 Dec 10, 2013
The more people you tell about this, the more they may do it too.
AngelAngle wrote:
I have started caring cans of soup in my vehicle to give out to homeless people when I’m stopped at a stoplight. Two spots I pass on my daily commute have a lot of people with signs asking for help. Gave some to a lady yesterday and she was very grateful. To me that is much more enjoyable than spending the holiday season fighting over TVs and X-boxs at wal-mart which is the way a lot of religious folks "celebrate" I have also been giving away shoes and a couple jackets.I do this not in the name of any deity but because its the right thing to do!

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#3848 Dec 10, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
lets all give angel a big hand. Actually Angel the bible says when you do these types of things you shouldn't announce it. Looks very self serving
I dont live my life by the Bible.

Self serving? I'm not even using my real name. The point, that you missed, was to help your fellow man INSTEAD of one's self and you can do it without claiming any god was responsible.

Dallas, TX

#3849 Dec 10, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The more people you tell about this, the more they may do it too.
<quoted text>
That was my intent.If people would act more like atheists and less like Christian's the holiday season really would be filled with cheer and good will toward man!

Dallas, TX

#3850 Dec 10, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
lets all give angel a big hand. Actually Angel the bible says when you do these types of things you shouldn't announce it. Looks very self serving
Are you REALLY talking [email protected] about someone feeding and clothing the homeless?

Even for you thats pretty low.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3851 Dec 10, 2013
oh quit crying you big baby. You wanna go feed the homeless? Great. Just go do it without telling people you did it. I guess you want a pat on the back for doing something that millions of other people do all the time without looking for recognition.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#3852 Dec 10, 2013
If only anti atheist knew of some all powerful deity that would end homelessness.
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you REALLY talking [email protected] about someone feeding and clothing the homeless?
Even for you thats pretty low.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3853 Dec 10, 2013
you people are so funny and ignorant. God didn't create homelessness nor is it His job to make this a perfect world. He meant it to be perfect but gave man a free will and we screwed it up. Again, if Angel wants to feed the homeless then thats great, but don't do it and then announce it to everyone.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#3854 Dec 10, 2013
GFY.
antiatheist wrote:
you people are so funny and ignorant. God didn't create homelessness nor is it His job to make this a perfect world. He meant it to be perfect but gave man a free will and we screwed it up. Again, if Angel wants to feed the homeless then thats great, but don't do it and then announce it to everyone.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#3855 Dec 10, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
OK. we'll stop announcing our good works, if you theists will stop praying in public. After all, your bible commands you to keep your prayers private.

Matthew 6:5-6
And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

So, obey your god, and knock it off with the "let's start this meeting/football game/legislative session/school day/etc. off with a prayer.
WarForOil

Rowlett, TX

#3856 Dec 10, 2013
Earth Child 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because the book says it's true doesn't mean it is. The archaeological evidence carries weight and not what some ghost writer wrote.
You're not sharp enough to sense sarcasm.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3857 Dec 10, 2013
actually its talking about praying just for show. Praying in public doesn't necessarily mean you are doing it for show. Comprende? Its so funny that it bothers you so much. Have you started your annual war on Christmas yet?
Sherlock Holmes

Oklahoma City, OK

#3858 Dec 10, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Well your name antiatheist is exactly opposite of what Jesus said should reflect you. He said that you should approach those outside the faith with love.

I guess the day will come when we hear of people bringing their guns to church.

When the day comes at the entrance to places of faith that have lists of people that are not welcome, that truly is the day that religion is dying.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3859 Dec 10, 2013
Perhaps what you really want is for homosexuality and atheism to be accepted by Christians?
Amused

Lowell, MA

#3860 Dec 10, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
actually its talking about praying just for show. Praying in public doesn't necessarily mean you are doing it for show. Comprende? Its so funny that it bothers you so much. Have you started your annual war on Christmas yet?
Praying in public is praying for show. If you are genuinely seeking to commune with your god, you can do so as effectively in private. More effectively, since yout bible says your god doesn't like people making a show of piety. There are only two purposes served by public prayer:

First, so you can show off to each other how 'holy' you are;

Second, so by acting as little mirrors, you reinforce each other and convince yourselves through strength in numbers that it isn't silly to talk to an invisible man in the sky.
Renea

Oklahoma City, OK

#3861 Dec 10, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Perhaps what you really want is for homosexuality and atheism to be accepted by Christians?
When your message is a list of things that divide you from others, your just trying to separate Jesus from others.

That's the exact opposite message that the Jesus of the Bible was trying to impart to you believers.

You know the saying by Ghandi which I don't have the exact quote "I like your Jesus, you Christians, not so much."
Amused

Lowell, MA

#3862 Dec 10, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
"Accepted" in the sense of embraced as part of your beliefs, no. "Accepted" in the sense of you stop trying to impose your beliefs on others and acknowledge their right to live and think as they see fit, yes. As they say in the Navy, "you don't have to like it, you just have to do it." You don't have to like other people's beliefs or lifestyles, you just have to respect that they have the right to hold those beliefs or live that lifestyle.
TAMARA

Edmond, OK

#3863 Dec 10, 2013
Renea wrote:
<quoted text>
When your message is a list of things that divide you from others, your just trying to separate Jesus from others.
That's the exact opposite message that the Jesus of the Bible was trying to impart to you believers.
You know the saying by Ghandi which I don't have the exact quote "I like your Jesus, you Christians, not so much."
Hello Justi/KAREN!
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#3864 Dec 10, 2013
I won't feel any less married when same sex marriages become law.

England and Wales will roll out same sex marriages in March 29th 2014. This is 3 months earlier than planned.

There were some MPs, mainly aged conservatives, opposing same sex marriage earlier this year but they seem to have realised the public, especially younger people, just don't agree with them.
antiatheist wrote:

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#3865 Dec 10, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
"Accepted" in the sense of embraced as part of your beliefs, no. "Accepted" in the sense of you stop trying to impose your beliefs on others and acknowledge their right to live and think as they see fit, yes. As they say in the Navy, "you don't have to like it, you just have to do it." You don't have to like other people's beliefs or lifestyles, you just have to respect that they have the right to hold those beliefs or live that lifestyle.
but... but.. if you don't let the overly religious dictate how those that don't share their beliefs have to live, they'll cry 'PERSECUTION'!

oh, wait... that IS what they are crying... nevermind
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3866 Dec 10, 2013
lol not surprising all of you are in favor homosexuality and homo marriage. Did you know you are not doing them any favors by promoting that lifestyle choice? Are you secretly against homosexuality because by promoting it you are helping them not only to get more diseases but to live a shortened life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Universe from Nothing? 2 min u196533dm 488
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min Chimney1 43,156
News New Jersey woman will get to use '8THEIST' lice... 9 min Eagle 12 6
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 18 min Eagle 12 5,686
Good arguments against Christianity 26 min Eagle 12 180
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 33 min Eagle 12 18,497
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 55 min Chazofsaints 3,841
More from around the web