'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

Jul 5, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NewsOK.com

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Comments
3,461 - 3,480 of 7,541 Comments Last updated May 29, 2014
LCNLin

United States

#3682 Dec 4, 2013
Ten identical icons on this post indicate one troll with access to a few accounts :-)

"Angel you are either too brainwashed or just willingly ignorant. Do you not understand that these atoms had to have been created? You go back far enough and at some point there was creation."

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3683 Dec 4, 2013
prove it? Ha..........thats your only come back when questioned about your belief system? Pathetic.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LCNLin

United States

#3684 Dec 4, 2013
As it has done for the past 16 years, the Embassy of Norway decorated a Christmas tree at Union Station in Washington, D.C. a gift to the American people to say thanks for helping Norway during World War II.

This year is no different. The tree was lit in a ceremony Tuesday evening, but what stands out is the nature of the ornaments that adorn the artificial tree: In addition to small American and Norwegian flags, the tree is decked out with 700 shining decorations with the iconic image from Norwegian Edvard Munch's painting The Scream.

This month marks the 150th anniversary of Munch's birth, and Norway's ambassador to Washington, Kare Aas, told All Things Considered's Melissa Block the artist is being feted across the world.

"As you know, The Scream is one of Edvard Munch's masterpieces," Aas says.

Munch's painting of a ghostly figure pressing his hands to his cheeks, mouth open to deliver the nominal utterance and cowering against a swirling orange-skied backdrop is one of the most recognizable artworks in existence. It's been parodied by Andy Warhol and The Simpsons, and the image has been on the receiving end of psychological diagnoses depersonalization disorder, according to the New York Times and society's generalized anxieties.

The image may seem a decidedly unfestive choice to whip up Christmas spirit, but Aas says that the dread implicit in Munch's screaming figure is perhaps not far off from how many anticipate the upcoming holiday.

"Sometimes, you know, when I prepare for Christmas, I really feel like I am scared from time to time and that it is too hectic," Aas tells Block. "The Scream symbolizes an angst which some people have before Christmas."

That aside, Munch's Scream has become one of the priciest pieces of art ever sold. Last year, a version of the painting Munch made four of them sold for nearly $120 million, making it the most expensive artwork sold at auction at the time.(That superlative now belongs to Francis Bacon's 1969 triptych, Three Studies of Lucian Freud, which sold for more than $142 million in November.)

The Scream-ornamented tree at Union Station will be on display through December. So, what do you do with 700 Scream ornaments when the tree comes down? They'll be given as gifts, according to Aas. He says they could be used as reflectors when walking at night, perhaps. "We're always very practical, the Norwegians," the ambassador says.
Thinking

Chelmsford, UK

#3685 Dec 5, 2013
So you have no proof. Figures. You'll believe any old straw man.
antiatheist wrote:
prove it? Ha..........thats your only come back when questioned about your belief system? Pathetic.
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#3686 Dec 5, 2013
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
Too many big words and not enough pictures for ya?
Cut and pasting grade school level simplified
explanations of physics, does not make you
intelligent.'What goes up, must come down'
doesn't make you an scientist.

Posting stupidity on TOPIX doesn't help your cause.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#3687 Dec 5, 2013
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
Cut and pasting grade school level simplified
explanations of physics, does not make you
intelligent.'What goes up, must come down'
doesn't make you an scientist.
Posting stupidity on TOPIX doesn't help your cause.
Ha! I totally agree!
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3688 Dec 5, 2013
Can you prove creation wasn't needed?
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#3689 Dec 5, 2013
Can you prove leprechauns weren't needed? Is that proof of leprechauns?
antiatheist wrote:

Dallas, TX

#3690 Dec 5, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Not sure who you talking too because you wont use the reply button but yes.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS MAGIC!
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3691 Dec 5, 2013
I didn't say "magic". I said God. Again, can you prove creation wasn't needed at some point?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3692 Dec 5, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
I didn't say "magic". I said God. Again, can you prove creation wasn't needed at some point?
What's the difference?

You believe your magic--erm--"god" makes things happen.

You cannot explain *how* this magic--erm--"god" did that.

There is no functional difference between saying "god" or saying "magic".

Both are equally unbelievable.

Dallas, TX

#3693 Dec 5, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
I can.

You don't understand how something happened therefore "It was God"

More specifically it was YOUR god.

Why not Zeus, Mars, Apollo, Baal, Shivia?

There is a huge icestorm hitting the country right now, can you prove its NOT Thor battling the ice giants?

Of course not that would be silly because magic doesn't exist.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#3694 Dec 5, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
your god is magic
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3695 Dec 5, 2013
Well once again Angel instead of proving what you believe you attack what you don't believe. Its a pretty common atheist tactic so I'm really not surprised. When your belief system is as crazy as yours then I guess attacking Christianity is all you can really do. You are more concerned with that then you are in taking a good hard look at your beliefs.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#3696 Dec 5, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
I didn't say "magic". I said God....
A rose by any other name...
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#3697 Dec 5, 2013
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>

So wrong. Every Sunday, right here in Southlake,
in my Episcopal Church, bread and wine are
transubstantiated into blood and flesh.

And it's magic how my fortune continues to grow
and grow.

Fermentation ranks up there as magic in my
eyes too.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#3698 Dec 5, 2013
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure who you talking too because you wont use the reply button but yes.
abracadabra
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3699 Dec 5, 2013
still waiting........
LCNLin

United States

#3700 Dec 5, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
abracadabra
"Abracadabra" is a song by
American rock group
Steve Miller Band, written by Steve Miller.

The song was released as the first single from the 1982 album of the same name the same year .

The song is said to have been inspired by the American singer Diana Ross with whom Miller had met while performing together on Hullabaloo in the 1960s.

The song became a worldwide hit, charting in ten countries and topping the charts in six countries, and has become one of the band's biggest hits, along with "The Joker" and "Rock'n Me".
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3701 Dec 5, 2013
How did these atoms and molecules pop into existence without God? I'm very serious. I want to know how that can possibly happen. Still waiting...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 3 min Carchar king 423
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 21 min Tuco Blondie 226,358
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 52 min MUQ1 21,503
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 2 hr CunningLinguist 28
100% Faith Free 2 hr CunningLinguist 12
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 8 hr Patrick 13
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 13 hr Jaimie 46
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••