'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Siro

Ryde, Australia

#3559 Nov 20, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>and no I didn't "come back" from the dead. The doctors worked until they had revived my body.
.....your own words......
How about you try doing what I did? I died, I bled to death, and there was nothing there. Emergency room personal, refused to give up on me, and after I was dead, a IV line was started in my foot. Which with that and the paddles, things got going again.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#3561 Nov 20, 2013
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you're demon possessed. Modern medicine
causes that you know. Only removing all your
blood and replacing it with Holy Water will
correct it.
Reasonable Man speaks super power truths.
Next time don't let them revive you.
Go to the light.
There was no light, and I was not "there" to make the decisions. My death (Demon possession) has made absolutely no difference as to how I live. I worked, paid bills, did laundry, taught children, fed and cared for our pets and livestock, cooked, stepped up to the plate, and did what needed to be done, and the only thing that has changed from then to now, is that I am a bit older. Have your god's silly demons become as feeble and impotent as he is?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#3562 Nov 20, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
.....your own words......
<quoted text>
Yeah Clodpate let's use my own words, again and let them prove you a liar.

"no I didn't "come back" from the dead. The doctors worked until they had revived my body.

.....and more of my own words......

"Emergency room personal, refused to give up on me, and after I was dead, a IV line was started in my foot. Which with that and the paddles, things got going again."

Two statements, and both say the same thing, using different words.

“Shoot for the stars”

Since: Dec 10

Planet Earth

#3563 Nov 20, 2013
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
correct it.
Go to the light.
Please give article where somebody had their blood replaced with Holy Water!!! Now you're using insanity to justify your nonsense.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#3564 Nov 20, 2013
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
correct it.
Go to the light.
Please do stay away from medical care. Tell all your fundie friends to do the same. Atheists will end up with all your stuff. I don't know what we will do with all the double wides, though. I'm sure we will find better uses for your churches.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#3565 Nov 20, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Christians by far contribute more to society and the needy.
Some Christians help the needy. They are usually moderates or progressives. Some who call themselves Christians carry out their economic lives in such a way as to assure that there will be needy people (and animals)- by not supporting fair wages, unemployment insurance, food stamps, vocational training, decent education, union rights, legal rights, etc. They are gnerally also known as Republicans.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#3566 Nov 20, 2013
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
correct it.
Go to the light.
are you maybe pretending to be a fundie and being ridiculous to mock the fundies?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#3567 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text> Yeah Clodpate let's use my own words, again and let them prove you a liar.
"no I didn't "come back" from the dead. The doctors worked until they had revived my body.
.....and more of my own words......
"Emergency room personal, refused to give up on me, and after I was dead, a IV line was started in my foot. Which with that and the paddles, things got going again."
Two statements, and both say the same thing, using different words.
glad you survived - and glad you recovered from fundie influences and began thinking. I was lucky to have been raised as an agnostic and de facto atheist (though I never defined myself as such until I called myself an agnostic atheist, to make it clear that I do not make a knowledge claim about metaphysics and such stuff as I think to be probably unknowable. It is interesting to read various theories, however. I got many books from a lending library - had to send away for them, from here in rural Iowa - when I was 17. Best of all were Voltaire, Spinoza, Schopenhauer, Santayana, Hume, Locke, Mill, Bertrand Russell. I loved On Liberty by Mill - and still do. I like the ethics and aesthetics of Santayana, Spinoza, and Schopenhauer. I agree more with Schopenhauer's metaphysics of World as Will as a tragedy, than with the more approving notion of it as a apparently helpful vital force.
Siro

Ryde, Australia

#3568 Nov 20, 2013
Earth Child 1 wrote:
<quoted text>Please give article where somebody had their blood replaced with Holy Water!!! Now you're using insanity to justify your nonsense.
Dont know about Holy Water, but Reason Personified bled out and died.
She was resurrected after being hooked up to an IV drip of toilet water, it seemed to work as she is always full off p1ss

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#3570 Nov 26, 2013
I had a close friend who met a girl who was "religious". They got married and have all but stopped speaking to me because of my "lifestyle". Late last night he accidentally sends me a text bragging about how he is cheating on his wife with woman who is married herself. They are using church as their excuse. He went on into rather graphic detail about telling their spouses they were going to church and then meeting up in a van in the parking lot.
I try and try to give Christians the opportunity to show that they are not terriable people but their is so much evidence to the contrary.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3571 Nov 26, 2013
ha you have GOT to be kidding angel. You are serious???? Are you telling me that atheists are these wonderful people that never do anything wrong? Give me a break. You always make up these absurd stories about your supposed friends and then use this idiot to paint a broad brush which you know is ridiculous. You are a joke. What about that millions of Christians that are wonderful people? Oh ya you won't mention that

Dallas, TX

#3572 Nov 26, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
ha you have GOT to be kidding angel. You are serious???? Are you telling me that atheists are these wonderful people that never do anything wrong? Give me a break. You always make up these absurd stories about your supposed friends and then use this idiot to paint a broad brush which you know is ridiculous. You are a joke. What about that millions of Christians that are wonderful people? Oh ya you won't mention that
I'm saying i(AN ATHEIST) would never cheat on my spouse. Those vows meant something to me.

When you grow up and move out of you mother's basement one day you may meet a girl or a guy that you want to be with and then you will understand.

Dallas, TX

#3573 Nov 26, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
You always make up these absurd stories about your supposed friends and then use this idiot to paint a broad brush which you know is ridiculous.
Im an atheist, we don't believe in made up stories.This is a real. This just happened last night.
WarForOil

Rowlett, TX

#3574 Nov 26, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>
are you maybe pretending to be a fundie and
being ridiculous to mock the fundies?
If you can't tell, you should stay away from
any discussions of serious matters.

You must think Saturday Night Live is a real
newscast.

Find someone to protect you.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3575 Nov 26, 2013
angel you are making absolutely no sense. People cheat, lie, steal, etc. all the time and they are only fooling themselves. You think because one person cheated then all Christians cheat? Give me a break. Hard to believe you go out of your way to attempt to make such an idiotic statement. You are one sad individual
WarForOil

Rowlett, TX

#3576 Nov 27, 2013
AngelAngle wrote:
Late last night he accidentally sends me a text bragging about how he is cheating on his wife with woman who is married herself. They are using church as their excuse. He went on into rather graphic detail about telling their spouses they were going to church and then meeting up in a van in the parking lot.
When you have friends like that it's a reflection
on your character. When you whine about it on TOPIX
it's a poor reflection on your intelligence.

Have someone who cares help you 'Angel'.
You need simple direction.

Dallas, TX

#3581 Nov 27, 2013
The History of the Universe in 200 Words or Less

Quantum fluctuation. Inflation. Expansion. Strong nuclear interaction. Particle-antiparticle annihilation. Deuterium and helium production. Density perturbations. Recombination. Blackbody radiation. Local contraction. Cluster formation. Reionization? Violent relaxation. Virialization. Biased galaxy formation? Turbulent fragmentation. Contraction. Ionization. Compression. Opaque hydrogen. Massive star formation. Deuterium ignition. Hydrogen fusion. Hydrogen depletion. Core contraction. Envelope expansion. Helium fusion. Carbon, oxygen, and silicon fusion. Iron production. Implosion. Supernova explosion. Metals injection. Star formation. Supernova explosions. Star formation. Condensation. Planetesimal accretion. Planetary differentiation. Crust solidification. Volatile gas expulsion. Water condensation. Water dissociation. Ozone production. Ultraviolet absorption. Photosynthetic unicellular organisms. Oxidation. Mutation. Natural selection and evolution. Respiration. Cell differentiation. Sexual reproduction. Fossilization. Land exploration. Dinosaur extinction. Mammal expansion. Glaciation. Homo sapiens manifestation. Animal domestication. Food surplus production. Civilization! Innovation. Exploration. Religion. Warring nations. Empire creation and destruction. Exploration. Colonization. Taxation without representation. Revolution. Constitution. Election. Expansion. Industrialization. Rebellion. Emancipation Proclamation. Invention. Mass production. Urbanization. Immigration. World conflagration. League of Nations. Suffrage extension. Depression. World conflagration. Fission explosions. United Nations. Space exploration. Assassinations. Lunar excursions. Resignation. Computerization. World Trade Organization. Terrorism. Internet expansion. Reunification. Dissolution. World-Wide Web creation. Composition. Extrapolation?

Dallas, TX

#3582 Nov 27, 2013
prove (prv)
v. proved, proved or prov·en (prvn), prov·ing, proves
v.tr.
1. To establish the truth or validity of by presentation of argument or evidence.
2. Law To establish the authenticity of (a will).
3. To determine the quality of by testing; try out.
4. Mathematics
a. To demonstrate the validity of (a hypothesis or proposition).
b. To verify (the result of a calculation).
5. Printing To make a sample impression of (type).
6. Archaic To find out or learn (something) through experience.
WarForOil

Rowlett, TX

#3583 Nov 27, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
This is coming from the weasel creationist liar with no proof of god...
That's the first time ever I've been called
a creationist.

I'm not concerned with the existence of a god.
I'm Episcopalian. It's a social thing for the
ruling class.

Please don't call me a creationist.
I don't even like chewing tobacco.
WarForOil

Rowlett, TX

#3584 Nov 27, 2013
AngelAngle wrote:
The History of the Universe in 200 Words or Less
Quantum fluctuation. Inflation. Expansion. Strong nuclear interaction. Particle-antiparticle annihilation. Deuterium and helium production. Density perturbations. Recombination. Blackbody radiation. Local contraction. Cluster formation. Reionization? Violent relaxation. Virialization. Biased galaxy formation? Turbulent fragmentation. Contraction. Ionization. Compression. Opaque hydrogen. Massive star formation. Deuterium ignition. Hydrogen fusion. Hydrogen depletion. Core contraction. Envelope expansion. Helium fusion. Carbon, oxygen, and silicon fusion. Iron production. Implosion. Supernova explosion. Metals injection. Star formation. Supernova explosions. Star formation. Condensation. Planetesimal accretion. Planetary differentiation. Crust solidification. Volatile gas expulsion. Water condensation. Water dissociation. Ozone production. Ultraviolet absorption. Photosynthetic unicellular organisms. Oxidation. Mutation. Natural selection and evolution. Respiration. Cell differentiation. Sexual reproduction. Fossilization. Land exploration. Dinosaur extinction. Mammal expansion. Glaciation. Homo sapiens manifestation. Animal domestication. Food surplus production. Civilization! Innovation. Exploration. Religion. Warring nations. Empire creation and destruction. Exploration. Colonization. Taxation without representation. Revolution. Constitution. Election. Expansion. Industrialization. Rebellion. Emancipation Proclamation. Invention. Mass production. Urbanization. Immigration. World conflagration. League of Nations. Suffrage extension. Depression. World conflagration. Fission explosions. United Nations. Space exploration. Assassinations. Lunar excursions. Resignation. Computerization. World Trade Organization. Terrorism. Internet expansion. Reunification. Dissolution. World-Wide Web creation. Composition. Extrapolation?
Wow, I'm speechless. That's so dumb
I'm without a response.

Maybe next you'll tackle the meaning of life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 min Rosa_Winkel 18,548
News Why I quit atheism 3 hr Eagle 12 708
Good arguments against Christianity 5 hr superwilly 209
A Universe from Nothing? 7 hr Mikko 533
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 hr Into The Night 43,197
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 12 hr Thinking 5,696
Atheism is a mental illness 12 hr Eagle 12 11
More from around the web