'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3462 Nov 11, 2013
Jesse wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Lea, you better consider some if not all in this little Obumer loving/God hating group might be more than a little...ah, well 'touched', if you understand what I'm saying.
Look at Mikko's pic...crazy expression, mug shots are better than that pic, lol. Anyway, just thought I'd give you the heads up.
Posting a "reply" to ...**yourself**?

Nobody is fooled, Lea-- you are one and the same poster.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3463 Nov 11, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
see what I mean? You guys must enjoy being punished
Once again? You prove you are just another brain-damaged idiot--

-- you know --

--- one of those "special" people ---

-- another Genuine Christian™ wannabe.

(because everyone knows you are a fake christian)
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3464 Nov 11, 2013
bob I thought the libraries were closed on Veterans Day. How are you getting your computer access?

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#3465 Nov 11, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
see what I mean? You guys must enjoy being punished
NO.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3466 Nov 11, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
bob I thought the libraries were closed on Veterans Day. How are you getting your computer access?
I have a registered account.

On my own computer. The same computer I've used for 2 years, now, and the same home cable internet I've had since the late 90's.

In direct contrast to you: the fake christian wannabe, who uses an unregistered grey box non-account.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3467 Nov 12, 2013
Your mom bought you a computer huh? Well congratulations man. You finally moved up to the big time

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3468 Nov 12, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Your mom bought you a computer huh? Well congratulations man. You finally moved up to the big time
Nope-- actually, it was the exact **opposite**-- I purchased my mom a computer, and my dad too.

My mother uses hers to do her banking online-- to protect herself from id theft (as paper trails can so easily do).

My dad's computer is in their living room, connected to the flat screen TV I also purchased for them.

I do enjoy giving things to my parents-- they were so good to me as I grew up, it is the **least** I can do, to make their life a bit easier, now that they have retired.

I am so sorry for **your** parents, though--

-- what with them being so ashamed of you like that.

Were your parents "character witnesses" at your arraignment? Or did they refuse to participate in your trial and eventual incarceration?

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#3469 Nov 13, 2013
Secular humanism begins with atheism (absence of belief in a deity) and agnosticism or skepticism (epistemological caution that rejects the transcendent as such due to a lack of evidence). Because no transcendent power will save us, secular humanists maintain that humans must take responsibility for themselves. While atheism is a necessary condition for secular humanism, it is not a sufficient one. Far from living in a moral vacuum, secular humanists “wish to encourage wherever possible the growth of moral awareness and the capacity for free choice and an understanding of the consequences thereof.” Secular humanism emerges, then, as a comprehensive nonreligious life stance that incorporates a naturalistic philosophy, a cosmic outlook rooted in science, and a consequentialist ethical system. Human happiness and social justice are the larger goals of secular humanist ethics.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3470 Nov 13, 2013
AngelAngle wrote:
Secular humanism begins with atheism (absence of belief in a deity) and agnosticism or skepticism (epistemological caution that rejects the transcendent as such due to a lack of evidence). Because no transcendent power will save us, secular humanists maintain that humans must take responsibility for themselves. While atheism is a necessary condition for secular humanism, it is not a sufficient one. Far from living in a moral vacuum, secular humanists “wish to encourage wherever possible the growth of moral awareness and the capacity for free choice and an understanding of the consequences thereof.” Secular humanism emerges, then, as a comprehensive nonreligious life stance that incorporates a naturalistic philosophy, a cosmic outlook rooted in science, and a consequentialist ethical system. Human happiness and social justice are the larger goals of secular humanist ethics.
Well stated.

Atheism, in and of itself, is merely a lack-- and you cannot have a "movement" or "philosophy" or religion just based on a lack.

And Secular Humanism, while starting from this lack-- went much-much farther than simply a rejection of faith-claims. It build a truly human and empathetic approach to both a world-view and philosophy.

Kudos.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#3471 Nov 13, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Sufferers of faith based mental illnesses will try to type.
SusanDB

Oklahoma City, OK

#3472 Nov 13, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Christians give more to charity.......not even close.
Donations to churches count as charitable contributions. Most of the giving by Christians is the tithe or contribution to their church, not to the poor.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3473 Nov 13, 2013
SusanDB wrote:
<quoted text>
Donations to churches count as charitable contributions. Most of the giving by Christians is the tithe or contribution to their church, not to the poor.
Yep, and are **tax** deductible.

Without that government prop?

The majority of churches would quickly fail, for lack of funds.

And **that**?

That right **there**?

Is proof-positive that there are **no** gods behind any--

-- what sort of god would not magically create wealth for the One True Church?

Since, as they keep telling us, it's so frikkin' important....?
Amused

Lowell, MA

#3474 Nov 13, 2013
SusanDB wrote:
<quoted text>
Churches are reverse Robin Hoods. They take from the poor congregants and give to the wealthy pastors.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3475 Nov 13, 2013
susan you are clueless. Giving by Christians to the needy far outweighs what any atheist group might do. Again, not even close. Do you not realize that tithing also helps churches to give to the needy?

Location hidden

#3476 Nov 13, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
susan you are clueless. Giving by Christians to the needy far outweighs what any atheist group might do. Again, not even close. Do you not realize that tithing also helps churches to give to the needy?
Its not the fault of atheists, that your cult couldn't get its act together and prove any of cr*p it lies about to society.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3477 Nov 14, 2013
skeptic seriously man stop wasting your invaluable time. Any rational, stable person can see you have serious mental health issues. Spend your time addressing those things instead of being on topix so much.

Location hidden

#3478 Nov 14, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
skeptic seriously man stop wasting your invaluable time. Any rational, stable person can see you have serious mental health issues. Spend your time addressing those things instead of being on topix so much.
Creationism is a mental illness that prevents its followers from admitting that they are liars with no proof of god.
When asked for proof, cult followers, will attack atheists, scientists, women homosexuals - anyone who doesn't believe in their made up gods.
This is cowardly disease and its victims should seek help
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3479 Nov 14, 2013
lol skeptic you go around from topic to topic saying basically the exact same garbage. You are obsessed. You think Christians are liars? Okay well so what? Go about your merry way and believe whatever you want....nobody is really going to care what you think.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3480 Nov 14, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
susan you are clueless. Giving by Christians to the needy far outweighs what any atheist group might do.
Nope.

You lie-- again.

The **facts** are? Secular groups outweigh your Lying For Jewsus groups.

For every charity dollar given to 99% of your Genuine Christian™ group? Less than 5 cents actually goes to ... charitable activities.

The rest?

Promotion, literature, and bloated salaries of the Genuine Christhole™ greedy selfish p**cks running the things.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#3481 Nov 14, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Then why do we still have so many needy in this country still? The way you describe it, the church gives so much that poverty should be extinct by now.

Oh that's right, Christians have to build more mega-churches.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 10 min JustASkeptic 2
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Regolith Based Li... 48,429
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 15 hr Cuddles7668 21,864
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 15 hr ChristineM 23,486
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 15 hr Eagle 12 258,039
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 16 hr Eagle 12 4,907
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... Fri Scaritual 14
More from around the web