'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#3381 Nov 7, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
the point of the story is that some atheists are good people? The fact that you even have to make such a statement is very telling.
So what did it tell you?
No Deity Required

United States

#3382 Nov 7, 2013
I am always extremely glad to see religious symbols on display at business establishments. They serve as excellent warning to give such businesses a nice, wide, frustration-avoiding, money-saving berth.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3383 Nov 7, 2013
No Deity Required wrote:
I am always extremely glad to see religious symbols on display at business establishments. They serve as excellent warning to give such businesses a nice, wide, frustration-avoiding, money-saving berth.
Indeed...these are far more likely to be completely dishonest than the other sort.

After all, they have an instant "get out of jail free" card, by casting the spell "JesusForgiveMe"....

... or so they believe.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3384 Nov 7, 2013
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
Only by burning can you tell the
fake from the true Christians.
The fake won't smell like bacon.
Help bring back the good ole days
of the inquisition.
I would not burn **anyone**, for **anything**.

I do not believe in the death penalty--for any reason.

I do not think the government, which is always less than perfect, should have such power as to kill someone. No matter what.

But that's just me.

You will find that the more religious a person is? The more likely they are to be highly in favor of killing people for the least little old thing...
No Deity Required

United States

#3385 Nov 7, 2013
Especially for not believing. That one really pisses them off.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3386 Nov 7, 2013
No Deity Required wrote:
Especially for not believing. That one really pisses them off.
True.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#3387 Nov 7, 2013
Bluebird wrote:
<quoted text>
No they don't and your 'guess' was wrong. I thought you and your group are claiming atheist are good people? Good people don't purposely misrepresent or flat out lie.
You just LIED.
I don't use a cell phone to post ever...and as far as the others they will have to respond.
My group?(even that says socks) There's a group? And they have claims which you are attempting to tie to me? Back it up, Doofus. Rethink it all.
You and the trailing laundry basket, are leaving clues all over the place. That you all share the same major malfunction is so telling, and simply unheard of to this degree. Maybe Jessup needs a wake-up call, he seems not to have correctly described you lot.
My guess isn't all wrong. The only thing I am unsure of is the type of device, that you all use to post with. Other than that it is 100% spot on.

Earth,TX

#3388 Nov 8, 2013
Jason wrote:
Does this thread only allow atheist to post? Why is that? Free expression of thought is a fundamental right. You guys are way off base!
Are you feeling out of sorts? You shouldn't, no one has attempted to limit your sock posse's postings at all. So actually it is you who are way off base.

Jay is Ray, Ray is Lisa, Lisa is Bluebird, Bluebird is Kit, Kit is Bud, and Bud is Jessup, and Jessup is Jason.
Zane

United States

#3389 Nov 8, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>My group?(even that says socks) There's a group of idiots? And they have claims which you are attempting to tie to me? Back it up, Sherlock. Rethink it all because I'm unable.
You and the trailing laundry basket, are leaving imaginery clues all over the place. That you all share the same major malfunction is so telling, and simply unheard of to this degree. Maybe Jessup needs a wake-up call, he seems not to have correctly described you lot.
My uneducated guess isn't all wrong. The only thing I am unsure of is the type of device I have stuck up my arse, that you all use to post with. Other than that it is .000100% spot on.
LOL, reason personified in the twilight zone.
Zane

United States

#3390 Nov 8, 2013
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
Only by burning can you tell the
fake from the true Christians.
The fake won't smell like bacon.
Help bring back the good ole days
of the inquisition.
WFO you are sick little puppy. Advocating burning people sounds like SS troop idea of entertainment.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#3391 Nov 8, 2013
Well, German troops did wear "gott mit uns" belt buckles.
Zane wrote:
<quoted text>
WFO you are sick little puppy. Advocating burning people sounds like SS troop idea of entertainment.
WarForOil

Rowlett, TX

#3393 Nov 8, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I would not burn **anyone**, for **anything**.

You will find that the more religious a person is? The more likely they are to be highly in favor of killing people for the least little old thing...
Your are so dense it's amazing.
References to burning people are only sarcasm
that you can't recognize.

Very religious people only kill so that the sinners
can get to heaven sooner. Perfect logic for
the deeply religious mind.

Don't think too hard. It may hurt.

Earth,TX

#3394 Nov 8, 2013
Zane wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, reason personified in the twilight zone.
Addressing the post, beyond you, is it? Come on PITA sock, tell us some more lies.

Jay is Ray, Ray is Lisa, Lisa is Bluebird, Bluebird is Kit, Kit is Bud, Bud is Jessup, Jessup is Jason, and Jason is Zane.

Don't you wish you smart enough to figure out how we all know this?
WarForOil

Rowlett, TX

#3395 Nov 8, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Addressing the post, beyond you, is it? Come on PITA sock, tell us some more lies.
Jay is Ray, Ray is Lisa, Lisa is Bluebird, Bluebird is Kit, Kit is Bud, Bud is Jessup, Jessup is Jason, and Jason is Zane.
Don't you wish you smart enough to figure out how we all know this?
You have special religious superpowers !!
Who could know without divine help.
Can you read minds too ?
Start tying with dogs.

Reasonable Man will save us all.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#3396 Nov 8, 2013
No Deity Required wrote:
Religious belief is nonsense, but I think attitudes and behaviors should be tolerant and the issue kept in perspective. The aim should be to end discrimination and sectarianism, not indulge in it. A 2012 poll indicated that only 54% of USAmericans would vote for an atheist president. As a non-believer, I don't wish to be thought equally bad and ignorant...
http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/ghwbush.h...

I think it is a matter of overcoming tradition and dated ideas. The USA has largely overcome prejudice against blacks, women and now gays. We want to end prejudice against non-belief too, not create two sides in a conflict.

I look forward to a time when USAmericans in general reject all superstition and prejudices based on color, race or gender and drop the silly idea of 'belief systems' altogether. Having religious faith is a discredited notion and no substitute for thinking.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#3397 Nov 8, 2013
Jason wrote:
Does this thread only allow atheist to post? Why is that? Free expression of thought is a fundamental right. You guys are way off base!
The very fact that you posted this disproves your premise. There are plenty of believers posting here, or at least a few with multiple screen names so they can agree with themselves.

I rather like it when fundies post here. They remind me how intellectually bankrupt religious superstition is. Mostly, if they stick around for more than the occasional drive by posting, they degenerate to name calling, threats of hellfire or they post some variant of Pascal's wager, which they almost inevitably announce with a flourish because they think it is a bold original thought. And, those are the relatively intellectually gifted ones. Most are just folks with an irrational fear of anyone who thinks differently from them, especially those that point out the fact that the emperor has no clothes. We don' t get much from them except blind, unthinking hatred. No doubt, some of them think they are some sort of cyber missionaries coming to convert the godless from the comfort of home. When that bubble bursts as they cannot hold up their end of the argument, they usually start with the name calling and dreams of hellfire and torment for us.

Here's a question in return? Why are theists so drawn to posting here? Most of us atheists avoid posting in Christian or Muslim forums, except for the occasional cross posted thread. Even then, atheist posts are met with outrage by the Christian echo chamber. If you were a liberal democrat, would you seek out tea party forums to post in?

“Shoot for the stars”

Since: Dec 10

Planet Earth

#3398 Nov 8, 2013
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
Your are so dense it's amazing.
References to burning people are only sarcasm
that you can't recognize.
Very religious people only kill so that the sinners
can get to heaven sooner. Perfect logic for
the deeply religious mind.
Don't think too hard. It may hurt.
Oh, murdering according to your goat herder's manual. Religious fanatics have turned into murderers or paid somebody else to murder for them throughout history. Let's refresh what good self proclaimed Christians have done to humans in past history: torture, dismember, burn people alive, hang, drown, stone to death, etc..........which some of these atrocities happened right here in 1662. No different from what the radical Muzzies are doing to so called "infidels" in the Middle East today. Proof by these religiously motivated atrocities, that god doesn't exist.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#3399 Nov 8, 2013
No Deity Required

United States

#3400 Nov 8, 2013
Something I throughly enjoy doing is closely watching a religious person's face when I tell them I have no need for any religious belief system or deity in my life. It's amazing to watch their facial expression rapidly shift from affectated tranquility to utter disbelief which almost immediately gives way to unabashed shock then fuming anger and finally all consuming revulsion.

It's quite entertaining.
Joy

United States

#3401 Nov 8, 2013
Earth Child 1 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, murdering according to your goat herder's manual. Religious fanatics have turned into murderers or paid somebody else to murder for them throughout history. Let's refresh what good self proclaimed Christians have done to humans in past history: torture, dismember, burn people alive, hang, drown, stone to death, etc..........
Mankind has been murderous since the beginning. Self-proclaimed? Standing in the middle of a church doesn't make you any more of Christian than standing in the middle of a garage makes you a car.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 4 min Dogen 2,719
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min Science 61,572
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 9 hr Aura Mytha 28,325
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Mar 24 IB DaMann 5,970
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Mar 22 Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) Mar 18 Eagle 12 2,043
More from around the web