'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#3239 Nov 1, 2013
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
I would think that as long as; needy people were being helped,starving children were being fed and the homless had a roof put over their head,who should get a pat on the back would be the least important issue. I for one am glad both groups are helping.
I entirely agree and the local Humanist group (Glasgow, Scotland) works closely with other secular groups and religious groups to deliver soup kitchen services.

But consider Africa, for instance.
http://kalw.org/post/god-loves-uganda-tracks-...
Uganda’s parliament is still considering a proposed Anti-Homosexuality Bill that, even though the death penalty has been removed from it, would still be one of the most punitive anti-gay measures in the world.
Unquote.

The problem with missionaries is that they often see their evangelical role as important, or even primary. Witchcraft and child mutilation are also a problem in Africa and it is difficult to counter or 'explode' one superstition while trying to maintain another. A rational and secular approach is normally far clearer and better.

https://humanism.org.uk/humanism/humanism-tod...
A current example of specifically humanist charitable work is the humanist schools project in Uganda, including New Humanist magazine’s Mustard Seed Humanist School appeal and most recently the Uganda Humanist Schools Trust.
Unquote.

(Note: the Humanist Soc Scotland does charitable work but it isn't mentioned on their website. I know because I'm a member).
Maddy

United States

#3240 Nov 1, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>To some extent, you could be right...
http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/ghwbush.h...
http://www.gallup.com/poll/155285/atheists-mu...

I think clerics will take their place in history along with witch-doctors and medicine men.
Let's hope self promoting scam artist politicians also have a permanent place in history along with the charlatans, wizards and fairies.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#3241 Nov 1, 2013
Then there was the ‘Pope condom scandal’...
https://humanism.org.uk/humanism/humanism-tod...

http://www.badscience.net/2010/09/the-pope-an...
Overall, rates of HIV infection were 80% lower in the partners who reported always using a condom, compared to those who said they never did.
Unquote.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/3100.aspx...
Used correctly, condoms are the best way to prevent sexually transmitted infections (STIs) such as HIV during sex (including anal and oral) and have a very low failure rate.
Unquote.

I wonder how many lives might have been saved if he had taken a rational instead of ideological approach and distributed free condoms instead of arguing they were ineffective.

And theology doesn't help anything.

Theology = mythology.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#3242 Nov 1, 2013
Maddy wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's hope self promoting scam artist politicians also have a permanent place in history along with the charlatans, wizards and fairies.
It appears that Bush43 didn't distance himself from his father's prejudice and neither have publically withdrawn the remark. On the other hand, neither one appears to have repeated it. It doesn't reflect well on those politicians and by implication the USA.
JMHO
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3243 Nov 1, 2013
angel I agree that its a good thing when people help people regardless of religion or lack thereof.
Ray

United States

#3244 Nov 1, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>It appears that Bush43 didn't distance himself from his father's prejudice and neither have publically withdrawn the remark. On the other hand, neither one appears to have repeated it. It doesn't reflect well on those politicians and by implication the USA.
JMHO
Maddy was addressing all politicians who are self promoting scammers I think not just the old cliché of "it's Bush's fault"...that is tripe and you know it!
JMHO
Bud

United States

#3245 Nov 1, 2013
Ray wrote:
<quoted text>
Maddy was addressing all politicians who are self promoting scammers I think not just the old cliché of "it's Bush's fault"...that is tripe and you know it!
JMHO
Such open minds....

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#3246 Nov 1, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
angel I agree that its a good thing when people help people regardless of religion or lack thereof.
Proud moment right now, if you and I can find common ground just think of everything else we,as atheists and religious folks, can accomplish.

antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3247 Nov 1, 2013
religious and nonreligious already are friends, coworkers, etc. Now if the atheists would stop calling Christians dumb and brainwashed then we actually might have something.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#3248 Nov 1, 2013
Ray wrote:
<quoted text>
JMHO
Thanks for the reply Ray but you haven't understood my comment. I didn't say or imply anything about "it's Bush's fault",(whatever "it" might be). My comment was literal and simply meant what it said.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3249 Nov 1, 2013
Ed you live in the UK.......nobody in America really cares what you think. We left you crazy people years ago.
Jason

United States

#3250 Nov 1, 2013
OBAMA AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY HAS LIED TO US!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3251 Nov 1, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Here in the states maybe but if you went overseas people would probably give you a blank look and say who?
Indeed... I suspect you are correct.

Overseas, religion is not nearly as ubiquitous either-- apart from the Islmaicist areas, of course.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3252 Nov 1, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>She was 14 years older than my mother, so she was before my time too. I imagine having to be around her would have been a trial.
Yeah... by all accounts, she had a really big ... ego.

;)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3253 Nov 1, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>I doubt that, but however famous or infamous she is or was, Anthony Flew is still less famous.
Indeed.

What is even worse? Flew was not convinced until he was really... old... and began to lose his mental abilities.

That's quite damaging to religion's argument: a person must be mentally **weak** before religion can be convincing...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3254 Nov 1, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
its about time a few atheists started doing something for other people. Christians have been doing that for ages.
Oh, sure-- christians **have** been doing **something** for ages...

... and it's been a pretty ugly "something" too:

## child abuse
## woman abuse
## being blood-sucking parasites
## persecuting all non-christians
## killing non-christians

... the list of atrocities is without end.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3255 Nov 1, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>To some extent, you could be right...
http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/ghwbush.h...
http://www.gallup.com/poll/155285/atheists-mu...
Despite its economic power, the USA often seems superstitious and backward from here. The USA overcame slavery, then blacks, women and gays achieved greater equality. Now the USA must come to terms with the fact that there's no such thing as gods or pixies and religion is divisive and outdated. Unfortunately, change can't happen overnight, despite the efforts of slavery abolitishonists, civil rights campaigners, sufragettes, humanists and secularists.

I think clerics will take their place in history along with witch-doctors and medicine men.
It cannot happen too soon-- the US economy cannot stand much more stress from religious fuckery...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3256 Nov 1, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
oh I'm sure atheists do some good. Pretty much every group does at least a little good. Christian missionaries and those just on a mission do tons of things for people all over the world on a daily basis.
Christian missionaries? Doing ... "GOOD"?

That is a flat lie-- they brought their diseases, they brought their ideas of white supremacy, they brought exploitation.

The cost to the local cultures is too high, for the scant little "good" they might have done by pure accident...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3257 Nov 1, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Ed you live in the UK.......nobody in America really cares what you think. We left you crazy people years ago.
How Jesus of you.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#3258 Nov 1, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
This was good to see from you :-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 27 min dollarsbill 6,058
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr Endofdays 93,421
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... Mon blacklagoon 3 89
News American Atheists terminates its president over... Apr 20 Eagle 12 - 19
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Apr 14 blacklagoon 3 4,141
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Apr 14 Into The Night 258,515
News The Anti-Christian Movement Apr 10 blacklagoon 3 11