'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#3219 Oct 31, 2013
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
When Flew passed away in 2010 the news hit all the media outlets the world's most famous atheist died. So I guess the entire world media got it wrong also? Christopher Hitchens is more widely known or his political beliefs. Richard Dawkins popularity has more to do with his visits on Bill Maher Show than anything else. Dawkins also claimed Obama is a atheist. I guess than explains the political overtones by some on this thread, lol.
Dead for years and Madalyn Murray O'Hair is still one the most famous. Much more so than Flew

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3220 Oct 31, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Dead for years and Madalyn Murray O'Hair is still one the most famous. Much more so than Flew
Yes, even I've heard of Ms O'Hair. By most accounts, she was an unpleasant person to be around, but she was before my time, really.

Earth,TX

#3221 Oct 31, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Irregardless of anyone else's opinion, I find I like this word too.
:)
It's a great word, it's a happy word
:0)
Bud

United States

#3222 Oct 31, 2013
Her son Bill didn't have anything positive to say about her!
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3223 Oct 31, 2013
I wasn't joking iseeyou. He is an angry atheist just like 99% of you. Why do you think atheist are the butt of jokes? Nobody takes them seriously.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3224 Oct 31, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
I wasn't joking iseeyou. He is an angry atheist just like 99% of you. Why do you think atheist are the butt of jokes? Nobody takes them seriously.
Oh look!

The godbot is channeling his inner Jesus again.

How cute.
Joe

United States

#3225 Oct 31, 2013
<quoted text>Dead for years and Madalyn Murray O'Hair is still one the most famous. Much more so than Flew
Here in the states maybe but if you went overseas people would probably give you a blank look and say who?
Joe

United States

#3226 Oct 31, 2013
<quoted text>It's a great word, it's a happy word
:0)
It's not standard or proper English. No joke. There are standard and non-standard English or slang.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#3227 Oct 31, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
No, you're right...you were not joking, cause joking requires a sense of humor.

Earth,TX

#3228 Nov 1, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, even I've heard of Ms O'Hair. By most accounts, she was an unpleasant person to be around, but she was before my time, really.
She was 14 years older than my mother, so she was before my time too. I imagine having to be around her would have been a trial.

Earth,TX

#3229 Nov 1, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Here in the states maybe but if you went overseas people would probably give you a blank look and say who?
I doubt that, but however famous or infamous she is or was, Anthony Flew is still less famous.

Earth,TX

#3230 Nov 1, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not standard or proper English. No joke. There are standard and non-standard English or slang.
'Tis word enough, for the likes of me.

Standard nor proper English is neither my native tongue, nor am I limited to it's usage. Words abound, they flower from the very air that I breathe and there be no filters to seine them away from me. So as an earthling, I do not limit my consumation of this life's many pleasures by territorial boundary, nor do I allow it by the created strictures of long dead headmasters.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#3231 Nov 1, 2013
Here is a great example of some atheists helping out their fellow man.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/30/athe... |main5|dl22|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3 D399415
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3232 Nov 1, 2013
its about time a few atheists started doing something for other people. Christians have been doing that for ages.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#3233 Nov 1, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
its about time a few atheists started doing something for other people. Christians have been doing that for ages.
Way ahead of you. Most charities in the UK wouldn't function without non-believers who are now the majority here.

Religionists aren't more generous or philanthropic than non-believers. Only the conceited would believe otherwise.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3234 Nov 1, 2013
of course........England has become Godless. Thats why you are England and we are America. Atheists are seen as a crazy, fringe group here and they always will be.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#3235 Nov 1, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
of course........England has become Godless..... Atheists are seen as a crazy, fringe group here and they always will be.
To some extent, you could be right...
http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/ghwbush.h...
http://www.gallup.com/poll/155285/atheists-mu...

Despite its economic power, the USA often seems superstitious and backward from here. The USA overcame slavery, then blacks, women and gays achieved greater equality. Now the USA must come to terms with the fact that there's no such thing as gods or pixies and religion is divisive and outdated. Unfortunately, change can't happen overnight, despite the efforts of slavery abolitishonists, civil rights campaigners, sufragettes, humanists and secularists.

I think clerics will take their place in history along with witch-doctors and medicine men.

Dallas, TX

#3236 Nov 1, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Ha, coming from you Anti, I will take that as a pretty positive statement. If I can show you some good that atheists do, maybe you wont have so much intolerance and anger directed toward us.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3237 Nov 1, 2013
oh I'm sure atheists do some good. Pretty much every group does at least a little good. Christian missionaries and those just on a mission do tons of things for people all over the world on a daily basis.

Dallas, TX

#3238 Nov 1, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
oh I'm sure atheists do some good. Pretty much every group does at least a little good. Christian missionaries and those just on a mission do tons of things for people all over the world on a daily basis.
I would think that as long as; needy people were being helped,starving children were being fed and the homless had a roof put over their head,who should get a pat on the back would be the least important issue. I for one am glad both groups are helping.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 58 min nanoanomaly 117
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr 15th Dalai Lama 74,760
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 3 hr Dogen 4,048
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 11 hr Subduction Zone 6,084
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Thu Subduction Zone 32,062
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Wed John 4,951
News Why do public atheists have to behave like such... Jun 21 Eagle 12 - 4
More from around the web