'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Amused

Lowell, MA

#3199 Oct 31, 2013
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
1. The fact remains he existed he was a famous atheist and before his death he decided there was intelligent design and a GOD. That is fact. The original poster (Maddy) was correct. To my knowledge the poster didn't endorse those beliefs and neither have I.
Before you fall all over yourself swooning over one atheist who became a believer, consider this: almost all of the atheists posting here were once theists of one flavor or another, mostly protestant or catholic christians.

While there may well be an occasional atheist who converts to christianity, overwhelmingly, the movement is in the other direction, with former believers leaving faith behind.

Consider also that there is substantial social pressure on unbelieving christians (or muslims, for that matter) to stay in the closet and not identify as atheist, despite their lack of belief. Coming out as atheist is hard, and often leads to rejection within one's family, ostracism by believers, and a risk of being stigmatized (an ironic use of the word, granted). On the other hand, converting from atheism to belief is quite easy, and one knows one will be welcomed into the community of believers. Yet, even though society is structured to make leaving faith hard and joining faith easy, the vast majority of people who change their position, do so by rejecting religion.

Finally, consider the fact that Flew is so notable for abandoning atheism, which makes him rather singular. Many more leave christianity. They are not famous for doing so, simply because it is so common. "Atheist becomes christian" is like "man bites dog", newsworthy because it is so rare. Christian becomes atheist is like dog bites man, so common as to be not newsworthy unless the atheist or the dog accomplishes the feat in some truly unusual way.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3200 Oct 31, 2013
right....all the people at answersingenesis know they are lying lol. Do you know how dumb you sound?

you think there is only ONE atheist that converted to Christianity? Hardly. Its hard to convert to atheism because you have to be pretty dumb to do it. Only a small percentage of people are that stupid.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#3201 Oct 31, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
right....all the people at answersingenesis know they are lying lol. Do you know how dumb you sound?

you think there is only ONE atheist that converted to Christianity? Hardly. Its hard to convert to atheism because you have to be pretty dumb to do it. Only a small percentage of people are that stupid.
Lol!!
Jimbo

United States

#3202 Oct 31, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Before you fall all over yourself swooning over one atheist who became a believer, consider this: almost all of the atheists posting here were once theists of one flavor or another, mostly protestant or catholic christians.
While there may well be an occasional atheist who converts to christianity, overwhelmingly, the movement is in the other direction, with former believers leaving faith behind.
Consider also that there is substantial social pressure on unbelieving christians (or muslims, for that matter) to stay in the closet and not identify as atheist, despite their lack of belief. Coming out as atheist is hard, and often leads to rejection within one's family, ostracism by believers, and a risk of being stigmatized (an ironic use of the word, granted). On the other hand, converting from atheism to belief is quite easy, and one knows one will be welcomed into the community of believers. Yet, even though society is structured to make leaving faith hard and joining faith easy, the vast majority of people who change their position, do so by rejecting religion.
Finally, consider the fact that Flew is so notable for abandoning atheism, which makes him rather singular. Many more leave christianity. They are not famous for doing so, simply because it is so common.
Flew is notable because of his status as a outspoken high profile atheist then he 'changes' to another point of view. That was all that the original poster said but instead of acknowledging the post was correct a rash of postings said you guys never heard of him or the original poster lied.

Patently false.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#3203 Oct 31, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
All these atheists will be crying like babies before they die and crying out to God. Thats a fact
You're mentally ill. A third-grader can understand the difference between a fact and an angry opinion generated out of spluttering, impotent rage.

No one here takes your sick, psycho Jesus seriously.

Why would you worship a God who will torture you forever if you don't?

I'd suggest you look up "Pascal's Wager," but you are plainly to stupid to follow even a simple explanation of that. LOL
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3204 Oct 31, 2013
gillette are you going to dress up as an angry atheist for Halloween? All you would have to do is put on your daily clothes and walk out the door. Very economical.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#3205 Oct 31, 2013
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Flew is notable because of his status as a outspoken high profile atheist then he 'changes' to another point of view. That was all that the original poster said but instead of acknowledging the post was correct a rash of postings said you guys never heard of him or the original poster lied.
Patently false.
In fact, I had never heard of him, and had to google him to see who he was. The original poster, and you, claimed he was the world's most famous atheist. I doubt he is as well known as Richard Dawkis, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens or Danial Dennet, to name just a few. The poster also claimed Flew was a scientist. He was not. He was a philosopher.

I doubt most christians would be all that content with his later religious convictions. Like many of America's founding fathers, Flew professed to be a deist. Deists believe in a god who created the universe, but does not intervene in its operation. In a December 2004 interview he [Flew] said: "I'm thinking of a God very different from the God of the Christian and far and away from the God of Islam, because both are depicted as omnipotent Oriental despots, cosmic Saddam Husseins"
Jimbo

United States

#3206 Oct 31, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact, I had never heard of him, and had to google him to see who he was. The original poster, and you, claimed he was the world's most famous atheist. I doubt he is as well known as Richard Dawkis, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens or Danial Dennet, to name just a few. The poster also claimed Flew was a scientist. He was not. He was a philosopher.
I doubt most christians would be all that content with his later religious convictions. Like many of America's founding fathers, Flew professed to be a deist. Deists believe in a god who created the universe, but does not intervene in its operation. In a December 2004 interview he [Flew] said: "I'm thinking of a God very different from the God of the Christian and far and away from the God of Islam, because both are depicted as omnipotent Oriental despots, cosmic Saddam Husseins"
When Flew passed away in 2010 the news hit all the media outlets the world's most famous atheist died. So I guess the entire world media got it wrong also? Christopher Hitchens is more widely known or his political beliefs. Richard Dawkins popularity has more to do with his visits on Bill Maher Show than anything else. Dawkins also claimed Obama is a atheist. I guess than explains the political overtones by some on this thread, lol.
buckwheat

Tulsa, OK

#3207 Oct 31, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol!!
That fool is hilarious, isn't he? He makes one asinine remark after another and doesn't bother to check any facts.

Gotta give one thing, though. No matter how many times he is put in his place, he bounces right back with another priceless gem.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#3208 Oct 31, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
The only dumb sh*t here is the defeated creationist weasel with no proof of god.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3209 Oct 31, 2013
why do you hate so much skeptic? Were you dropped on your head as a child?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#3210 Oct 31, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
why do you hate so much skeptic? Were you dropped on your head as a child?
your faith based mental illness is showing again.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#3211 Oct 31, 2013
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
When Flew passed away in 2010 the news hit all the media outlets the world's most famous atheist died. So I guess the entire world media got it wrong also? Christopher Hitchens is more widely known or his political beliefs. Richard Dawkins popularity has more to do with his visits on Bill Maher Show than anything else. Dawkins also claimed Obama is a atheist. I guess than explains the political overtones by some on this thread, lol.
Flew who?
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#3212 Oct 31, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Flew who?
Flew the coop. Although hardly anyone has heard of him and no one cares.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3213 Oct 31, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Nor does it change Flew into the most famous atheist.
For me it's all about the Mobius Strip aspect of the word.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9796217-1...
Off topic: In defense of 'irregardless'
Not only is "irregardless" a word, but it's probably the best word of all time. Here's why.
by Tim Moynihan
October 12, 2007 4:00 AM PDT
In a post I wrote a couple of weeks ago about overpriced Halo USB drives, I used the word "irregardless." And as these TalkBack posts show, it wasn't a very popular decision.
For example, one BoopieJones (awesome screen name notwithstanding) challenged the very existence of the word. Another reader, JustDenny, was noticeably shaken by the use of the word, e-shouting "oh no!!!" before noting that the word is a double-negative.
In response, I would like to say that "irregardless" is a word. It is, at least according to Merriam-Webster and Scrabble.
But I'm not going to stop there. No. I would also like to contend that "irregardless" is the baddest-ass word of all time. This is for several reasons, which I will now explain.
1. It's the only word where attaching the "ir-" prefix to the root word has the exact same meaning as the root word: Throwing an "ir-" in front of normal, less bad-ass words that begin with "R" changes the meaning to the opposite of the word. Irrefutable. Irreverent. Irrelevant. Irresponsible. Not "irregardless." It doesn't care what the rules of grammar are. It means exactly the same thing as "regardless," and that's the way it likes it.
2. Against all odds, against all logic, and (ir)regardless of everyone hating it, it has achieved official word status: How can you not pull for the underdog in this case? "Irregardless" went up against the rules of grammar, stick-by-the-book lexicographers, and the fact that it's a completely redundant word. Didn't matter. Whatever didn't kill it made it stronger. It's the hardest-working word in the dictionary, and it should have earned your respect by now.
3. Even though it's a word, Merriam-Webster says you shouldn't use it: Can you name another word in the dictionary that the dictionary says you shouldn't use? Even really bad swear words don't have a dictionary-imposed boycott. That just makes me want to use it more.
4. It simultaneously makes sense and doesn't make sense: You can think of the word in one of two ways:(1) it should mean the opposite of "regardless," or something along the lines of "keeping the facts in regard," or (2) it could mean "regardless of the fact that something is regardless." The latter of the two is like double-super regardless, and it's the meaning I prefer. "Irregardless" really, really doesn't care what the facts are or what you think. It should only be used in extreme circumstances, such as when a course of action is ridiculously counterintuitive. "Irregardless of the fact that you are very thirsty, you should eat this pile of salt." Stuff like that.
Irregardless of anyone else's opinion, I find I like this word too.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3214 Oct 31, 2013
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Patently false.
Who cares? In a state if mental weakness and mental stress-- he went back to the delusions of his childhood.

So f8cking what?

It means exactly nothing.

He is **only** famous because he is so... RARE.

And that?

That right there? The very **rareness** of what he did?

Says much more **against** religion than anything I could ever do.

IF RELIGION HAD ANY MERIT IN IT'S ARGUMENTS?

Flew's actions would be as common as ...

.... former christians becoming atheists.....

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3215 Oct 31, 2013
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
I never heard of it [flew's death]-- and would not have remarked if I had. He is to be pitied, if he's worth nothing at all.

For one thing? I do not listen to Faux SNooze-- they do not report actual ... news. 100% of their output is pure-D undistilled political hogwash.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3216 Oct 31, 2013
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
... dammit autocorrect:

What I should have said was:

He's to be pitied if he's noteworthy at all.

Location hidden

#3217 Oct 31, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
gillette are you going to dress up as an angry atheist for Halloween? All you would have to do is put on your daily clothes and walk out the door. Very economical.
When you have to explain the joke then it wasn't delivered properly ;-)

Location hidden

#3218 Oct 31, 2013
buckwheat wrote:
<quoted text>That fool is hilarious, isn't he? He makes one asinine remark after another and doesn't bother to check any facts.

Gotta give one thing, though. No matter how many times he is put in his place, he bounces right back with another priceless gem.
Omg yes, the entertainment never ends. My favorite is that he/she talks about how obsessed with god we are and how that is all we can talk about, but when I attempt to change the subject he/she wants no part of it...just continually chatting about god and how we are going to hell... And yes he/she should get a trophy for perseverance lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr Regolith Based Li... 93,406
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... 7 hr blacklagoon 3 89
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 12 hr superwilly 6,056
News American Atheists terminates its president over... Apr 20 Eagle 12 - 19
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Apr 14 blacklagoon 3 4,141
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Apr 14 Into The Night 258,515
News The Anti-Christian Movement Apr 10 blacklagoon 3 11