'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

Jul 5, 2013 Full story: NewsOK.com 7,545

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Read more
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#3179 Oct 30, 2013
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
1. The fact remains he existed he was a famous atheist and before his death he decided there was intelligent design and a GOD. That is fact.
WHO CARES? Nobody here, that's for sure.

You're saying NOTHING of any consequence.

Nobody here gives a sweet shit about some senile old guy who (supposedly, sort of) "changed his mind."

Shall I start posting detailed testimonies of ex-Christians from exchristian.net ?
buckwheat

Tulsa, OK

#3180 Oct 30, 2013
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
1. The fact remains he existed he was a famous atheist and before his death he decided there was intelligent design and a GOD.
Is there a point that accompanies this? Does it prove anything?
A LOT of weak-minded old people turn to god when they are nearing death.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#3181 Oct 30, 2013
Maddy wrote:
On the contrary the most famous atheist in the world Anthony Flew after a lifetime of professing in the belief of NO GOD came to the ultimate conclusion there is a intelligent design behind the universe and what we understand in science.
Einstein came to the same conclusion of intelligent design.
I don't think he was the most famous, but even if he was, being famous does not imply that he was smart/right/sane. Example: Think George Bush.

Earth,TX

#3182 Oct 30, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
our schools have been teaching evolution for decades so whats your excuse?
There is no evidence that we evolved from an ape like ancestor. You and gillette are confusing the different types of evolution. Things evolve over time but one species doesn't turn into another. Man has always been man and ape has always been ape. Comprende?
And both evolved from a common ancestor. We and they, are primates.
Maddy

United States

#3183 Oct 30, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think he was the most famous, but even if he was, being famous does not imply that he was smart/right/sane. Example: Think George Bush.
WOW, who peed in your Wheaties? The whole point was to avoid blanket statements and stereotyping. Both men mentioned were highly educated and their opinions have been studied and found valuable by those with higher learning.

Bush was Yale educated and Obama is Harvard/Columbia educated both institutions are respected. Anyone can criticize Bush's decisions but the same is true of Obama many scandals and on going boondoggles the most recent is the ObamaCare rollout. That doesn't mean Bush or Obama aren't intelligent people.

Please don't lecture on politics which is rampant with propaganda.

Earth,TX

#3184 Oct 30, 2013
Maddy wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW, who peed in your Wheaties? The whole point was to avoid blanket statements and stereotyping. Both men mentioned were highly educated and their opinions have been studied and found valuable by those with higher learning.
Bush was Yale educated and Obama is Harvard/Columbia educated both institutions are respected. Anyone can criticize Bush's decisions but the same is true of Obama many scandals and on going boondoggles the most recent is the ObamaCare rollout. That doesn't mean Bush or Obama aren't intelligent people.
How did Flew become Obama in this? There was no point, to avoid blanket statements, much less a whole point.

Irregardless of which institution it was that George Bush coasted though, on the coattails of classmates and family members, the man was and is stupid. He is a gold and teflon coated turd.
Maddy

United States

#3185 Oct 30, 2013
<quoted text>How did Flew become Obama in this? There was no point, to avoid blanket statements, much less a whole point.
Irregardless of which institution it was that George Bush coasted though, on the coattails of classmates and family members, the man was and is stupid. He is a gold and teflon coated turd.
Perhaps you would understand the ongoing conversation if you read most if not all the posts? Just a friendly suggestion,:)

Irregardless? Which institution did you learn that word from pray tell?

Regardless of your myopic view of Bush or Obama still doesn't change any of the factual evidence for either Bush or Obama.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3186 Oct 30, 2013
gillette thinks I'm threatening him. He must be more sensitive than a 5 yr old girl.

All these atheists will be crying like babies before they die and crying out to God. Thats a fact

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3187 Oct 30, 2013
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Then google him and learn something, dude you need to broaden your horizons, lol. As far Einstein your wrong again. He believed in what he called Spinoza's GOD. The way he explain it was he saw "as far a order and harmony co-existing" he could believe in being of intelligent or Spinoza's GOD. He referred as it his understanding with his limited ability so don't feel bad you don't understand, lol.
Not according to his most recent biographies, he didn't.

He stated he most definitely did **not** believe there was **any** sentience or intelligence in the beginnings of the universe.

He also said on multiple occasions, he did not believe in any personal gods either.

Finally, he explained his poetic use of the word "god"-- it represented to him, the blind, unthinking, non-sentient **rules** by which the universe operated.

That is not a god by anyone's definition.

If you claim otherwise? You are a bald-faced liar.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3188 Oct 30, 2013
Bud wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok I googled the first guy Antony Flew and he was the big wig of his time as a atheist then in 2004 he spoke out and said he had changed his mind there was intelligent design which he attributed to GOD. Now on Einstein I really found it hard to understand what he was trying to convey. He called his belief more like harmony and order or Spinoza's GOD. Since I don't know what that means exactly who knows. One quote from Einstein was he was irritated by those who always quoted him when they tried to explain their disbelief in GOD or intelligent design. Einstein said he didn't believe in daily interaction as some believed but more as a series of events.
I'm not a scientist so I really don't know exactly what he was trying to say. The man was a amazing genius and I could never hope to completely understand the things he understood.
I actually got to listen to a half-hour long interview on the radio several years ago, by the author of a fairly recent biography of Einstein.

This biographer (I forgot his name--sorry-- look for a book published in the last 8 years or so) had access to papers that had been kept sequestered until a certain time had passed, among other things.

In those, it became quite clear, Einstein was being poetic when he said "god does not play dice with the universe". To Einstein, "god" was just a poetic way to describe the rules of the universe.

Einstein really despised modern quantum theory, as he rejected the idea that the universe simply operates like a roulette wheel at the most fundamental level.

He spent his final days trying to come up with a competing theory-- and failed to do so.

This in no way should be seen as a criticism-- he was a child of the late 1800's after all-- and he was indeed incredibly brilliant.

But he simply was **not** a theist.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3189 Oct 30, 2013
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
1. The fact remains he existed he was a famous atheist and before his death he decided there was intelligent design and a GOD. That is fact. The original poster (Maddy) was correct. To my knowledge the poster didn't endorse those beliefs and neither have I.
So what? When he was really **old** and his mind was beginning to fail? He falls prey to the insidious lies that religion offers up?

That is **not** an endorsement for religion or it's ideas: that a person must be mentally **weak** before religion makes "sense"...

... rather, just the opposite.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3190 Oct 30, 2013
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
1. The fact remains he existed he was a famous atheist and before his death he decided there was intelligent design and a GOD. That is fact. The original poster (Maddy) was correct. To my knowledge the poster didn't endorse those beliefs and neither have I.
In any case-- you lied when you tried to make him into some sort of "magical, gosh-who atheist-hero" ... when he was pretty much only famous among the god-besotted....

... so you **Lied** when you tried to make him out as an "atheist-hero".

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3191 Oct 30, 2013
<quoted text>I don't think he was the most famous, but even if he was, being famous does not imply that he was smart/right/sane. Example: Think George Bush.
Indeed. Or Charles Manson-- he was **quite** the world-famous personality for a while...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3192 Oct 30, 2013
Maddy wrote:
<quoted text>
Bush **only** got his "degree" because his rich-rich daddy **bought** the university off with a new building or three.

He was about as educated as ...

... your average TeaBagger (which is to say-- not at all)
Ray

United States

#3193 Oct 30, 2013
Maddy wrote:
<quoted text>
Some individuals are ideologues and refuse to see the forest for the trees. They are as closed minded in their cultist religion which can be political leaning or religion which they feel validates their opinion. A true seeker of truth searches with a single minded fascination towards understanding what the truth really is not a preconceived notion or idea. Religion is an excellent example of preconceived notion or ideas of truth which is accepted because it falls into a certain mindset or ideologue. But religion isn't alone in brainwashing cult.

Earth,TX

#3194 Oct 30, 2013
Maddy wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you would understand the ongoing conversation if you read most if not all the posts? Just a friendly suggestion,:)
Irregardless? Which institution did you learn that word from pray tell?
Regardless of your myopic view of Bush or Obama still doesn't change any of the factual evidence for either Bush or Obama.
Nor does it change Flew into the most famous atheist.

For me it's all about the Mobius Strip aspect of the word.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9796217-1...

Off topic: In defense of 'irregardless'
Not only is "irregardless" a word, but it's probably the best word of all time. Here's why.
by Tim Moynihan
October 12, 2007 4:00 AM PDT

In a post I wrote a couple of weeks ago about overpriced Halo USB drives, I used the word "irregardless." And as these TalkBack posts show, it wasn't a very popular decision.
For example, one BoopieJones (awesome screen name notwithstanding) challenged the very existence of the word. Another reader, JustDenny, was noticeably shaken by the use of the word, e-shouting "oh no!!!" before noting that the word is a double-negative.
In response, I would like to say that "irregardless" is a word. It is, at least according to Merriam-Webster and Scrabble.
But I'm not going to stop there. No. I would also like to contend that "irregardless" is the baddest-ass word of all time. This is for several reasons, which I will now explain.

1. It's the only word where attaching the "ir-" prefix to the root word has the exact same meaning as the root word: Throwing an "ir-" in front of normal, less bad-ass words that begin with "R" changes the meaning to the opposite of the word. Irrefutable. Irreverent. Irrelevant. Irresponsible. Not "irregardless." It doesn't care what the rules of grammar are. It means exactly the same thing as "regardless," and that's the way it likes it.

2. Against all odds, against all logic, and (ir)regardless of everyone hating it, it has achieved official word status: How can you not pull for the underdog in this case? "Irregardless" went up against the rules of grammar, stick-by-the-book lexicographers, and the fact that it's a completely redundant word. Didn't matter. Whatever didn't kill it made it stronger. It's the hardest-working word in the dictionary, and it should have earned your respect by now.

3. Even though it's a word, Merriam-Webster says you shouldn't use it: Can you name another word in the dictionary that the dictionary says you shouldn't use? Even really bad swear words don't have a dictionary-imposed boycott. That just makes me want to use it more.

4. It simultaneously makes sense and doesn't make sense: You can think of the word in one of two ways:(1) it should mean the opposite of "regardless," or something along the lines of "keeping the facts in regard," or (2) it could mean "regardless of the fact that something is regardless." The latter of the two is like double-super regardless, and it's the meaning I prefer. "Irregardless" really, really doesn't care what the facts are or what you think. It should only be used in extreme circumstances, such as when a course of action is ridiculously counterintuitive. "Irregardless of the fact that you are very thirsty, you should eat this pile of salt." Stuff like that.

Earth,TX

#3195 Oct 30, 2013
reflexive. It's the exception that proves the rule. It talks the talk and walks the walk. Is there another word like that? No, because "irregardless" is bad-ass. It is a text-based Chuck Norris, roundhouse-kicking everything else in the dictionary into submission.

6. If you think about it long enough, it will blow your mind: It's the Mobius Strip of words, but it's also packed with Eminem's aggressively apathetic attitude. It's completely unique, completely confusing, and it couldn't give a rat's ass about any of that. It just is what it is. If you don't like it, don't use it.

So that's my argument. I think "irregardless" should be embraced and celebrated. And damn it, I'm going to use it every chance I get.

Earth,TX

#3196 Oct 31, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
gillette thinks I'm threatening him. He must be more sensitive than a 5 yr old girl.
All these atheists will be crying like babies before they die and crying out to God. Thats a fact
Get real. It's the believers who whine and cry, you are the ones who must fear getting something wrong. Of the thousands of "thou shalt nots", most of you loons only know a few of the rules which you are commanded to live by.

We all know that the words of the holy books are a mystery to you, and as long as you haven't read them, you will never know if you have gotten all the "i's" dotted and the "t's" crossed.
We on the other hand have no questions as to whether our not becoming Thuggee worshippers may or may not have been the right choice. We know that Kali like all other gods and goddesses simply have no real reason to be believed.

Earth,TX

#3197 Oct 31, 2013
Dropped a line on # 5 from above >>
5. It practices what it preaches: Irregardless of the rules of grammar, "irregardless" is a word. It's self-reflexive. It's the exception that proves the rule. It talks the talk and walks the walk. Is there another word like that? No, because "irregardless" is bad-ass. It is a text-based Chuck Norris, roundhouse-kicking everything else in the dictionary into submission.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#3198 Oct 31, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
gillette are you a teenager? For your sake I hope so. Its the only explanation.
For those talking about Baylor, here is an interesting link:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2000...
It's only "interesting" if you're looking to see just how far some christians will go to keep their fellow believers stupid.

They (the folks at www.answersingenesis.org ) know they are lying... they also know folks like you don't have the capacity, or the desire, to actually check the veracity of their claims.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 6 min Agents of Corruption 6,207
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 236,715
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 4 hr Lumatrix 14,488
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 5 hr Freebird USA 9,205
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 7 hr Patrick n Angela 17,895
News Atheist monument to counter ten commandments (Jul '13) 9 hr Patrick n Angela 11
News The Consequences of Atheism 10 hr thetruth 1,098
More from around the web