'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Maddy

United States

#3158 Oct 30, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
And there are plenty of people -- ministers, preachers and Christian musicians, etc.-- who walk away from born again Protestantism to become atheists, agnostics and MUSLIMS (the fastest growing religion in the west)!
Just simply "supplying information" myself.
I have a website chock full of long, detailed Christian fundamentalist de-conversion sagas. May start posting those for everyone's edification.:)
I can understand that as I also walked away from the religion I was officially raised in and have never looked back. Each person if they care to search for the truth has to go on a journey of discovery that journey should last a lifetime.:)
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3159 Oct 30, 2013
well gillette........apparently you are saying these people knew God yet now they don't? Come on. There are also atheists that are now Christians. What some individuals do have nothing to do with anything.
buckwheat

Tulsa, OK

#3160 Oct 30, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! Don't bother... he knows he's wrong but can't help but try to maintain that he's correct... no matter how stupid it makes him look!
Intelligence is not promoted in the bible... but, outside of a few chosen verses, he's never read that either.
You're right. We will waste his entire life paying, and waiting for something that will never come. Damn, now I kinda feel sorry for him.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#3161 Oct 30, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
well gillette........apparently you are saying these people knew God yet now they don't? Come on.
??? You really ARE this stupid, aren't you? They USED to believe your stories about your God, and now they no longer DO. They've GROWN UP spiritually and moved on.
antiatheist wrote:
What some individuals do have nothing to do with anything.
Brain dead M-f'er.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3162 Oct 30, 2013
gillette are you a teenager? For your sake I hope so. Its the only explanation.

For those talking about Baylor, here is an interesting link:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2000...
buckwheat

Tulsa, OK

#3164 Oct 30, 2013
buckwheat wrote:
<quoted text>You're right. We will waste his entire life paying, and waiting for something that will never come. Damn, now I kinda feel sorry for him.
That was a typo. WE won't waste his life HE will.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3165 Oct 30, 2013
paying? You guys claim to know so much about Christianity yet half of what you say it just way off base. My guess is you will be calling out His name before you die. That is if you are lucky and not killed instantly. Hey thats your choice though just like its my choice to believe in an after life. One of us will be wrong and you better hope its me.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3166 Oct 30, 2013
Maddy wrote:
On the contrary the most famous atheist in the world Anthony Flew after a lifetime of professing in the belief of NO GOD came to the ultimate conclusion there is a intelligent design behind the universe and what we understand in science.
Never heard of 'em... he could not have been all that spectacular, then.

But why is it, that people must be at their **weakest** mentally, before they succumb to the lies you people tell (god)?

Hmmm?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3167 Oct 30, 2013
Maddy wrote:
<quoted text>
What part of what I posted is not valid? Do you have any verifiable proof (Please give link)which states what I posted is untrue?
Perhaps the icon robot should google Anthony Flew and Einstein, lol.
I did google both-- Enstein did not believe in a "designed" universe, nor did he believe in **any** super-intelligence of any kind.

What Einstein called "god" was simply the rules -- the non-sentient rules by which the universe operates.

You **LIED** when you said what you said about Einstein.

Why do you people think LIES will be effective?

Is it because your whole LIFE is one big lie?

That could be it...

... remember: All **faith** is a **lie** that is repeated so much you forgot it even was a lie.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3168 Oct 30, 2013
Maddy wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, but I'm not confused or searching for confirmation. I simply supplied information there are well known scientists who are widely respected who have a different point of view. A. Flew was the most famous atheist of his time and Einstein's personal intelligence level is still spoken of in awe.
Flew couldn't have been **that** famous-- I've never heard of him, and I passed the name around-- unknown by most of my other circle of friends too. Most of whom are atheists.

But you lied about Einstein-- twice over, you lied.

Why do you lie?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3169 Oct 30, 2013
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes,Anti I did go to college for Geology. I am also a certified Gemologist and Lapidary. I have spent a great deal of time (and money) educating myself on how the earth was formed and how it contunues to change over time.It is something I understand very well. I have been a rockhound for many years, the rock cycle is facinating to me and is one of my many passions in life.
Sorry it took me so long to respond to you but I just don't have the kind of free time to dedicate to this forum that you do.
So... basically, you are saying you have a life?

:)
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#3170 Oct 30, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
One of us will be wrong and you better hope its me.
And when you get down to it, this is all you CHristians have, isn't it? THREATS?

F- you and F- your creepy torturer God.
Jimbo

United States

#3171 Oct 30, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Flew couldn't have been **that** famous-- I've never heard of him, and I passed the name around-- unknown by most of my other circle of friends too. Most of whom are atheists.
But you lied about Einstein-- twice over, you lied.
Why do you lie?
Antony Flew 1923-2010 British if I remember correctly and the most notable atheist of his time. He later decided all the evidence led to one conclusion of intelligent design.

Einstein also believed in his later life the only plausible explanation was intelligent design. He never used the word GOD to explain his conclusion.

Maybe they both believed like some believe that E.T. had something to do with our evolution.

Before you post nasty stuff try google, lol.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3172 Oct 30, 2013
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Antony Flew 1923-2010 British if I remember correctly and the most notable atheist of his time. He later decided all the evidence led to one conclusion of intelligent design.
Never heard of him, sorry. Does not matter anyway-- wrong is still wrong.
Jimbo wrote:
Einstein also believed in his later life the only plausible explanation was intelligent design. He never used the word GOD to explain his conclusion.
Flat lie. Based on his latest biographies, your sentence is nothing but a flat lie.

Lying does not help your case.

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#3173 Oct 30, 2013
What is religion? An easy answer (Cult of the penis) http://uio98uio.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/orig...
Jimbo

United States

#3174 Oct 30, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Never heard of him, sorry. Does not matter anyway-- wrong is still wrong.
<quoted text>
Flat lie. Based on his latest biographies, your sentence is nothing but a flat lie.
Lying does not help your case.
Then google him and learn something, dude you need to broaden your horizons, lol. As far Einstein your wrong again. He believed in what he called Spinoza's GOD. The way he explain it was he saw "as far a order and harmony co-existing" he could believe in being of intelligent or Spinoza's GOD. He referred as it his understanding with his limited ability so don't feel bad you don't understand, lol.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#3175 Oct 30, 2013
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Then google him and learn something, dude you need to broaden your horizons, lol. As far Einstein your wrong again. He believed in what he called Spinoza's GOD. The way he explain it was he saw "as far a order and harmony co-existing" he could believe in being of intelligent or Spinoza's GOD. He referred as it his understanding with his limited ability so don't feel bad you don't understand, lol.
Jimbo, the point many atheists make is that they genuinely had never heard of Flew. Perhaps you need to be really old to even remember him.

And just as likely, it is the fundamentalists Christians who tout him who describe him as the "most famous atheist in the world" -- i.e. they lie, which is not unusual.

At any rate, Flew and his supposed change of heart men=an NOTHING to the average atheist who thinks for himself.
Bud

United States

#3176 Oct 30, 2013
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok I googled the first guy Antony Flew and he was the big wig of his time as a atheist then in 2004 he spoke out and said he had changed his mind there was intelligent design which he attributed to GOD. Now on Einstein I really found it hard to understand what he was trying to convey. He called his belief more like harmony and order or Spinoza's GOD. Since I don't know what that means exactly who knows. One quote from Einstein was he was irritated by those who always quoted him when they tried to explain their disbelief in GOD or intelligent design. Einstein said he didn't believe in daily interaction as some believed but more as a series of events.

I'm not a scientist so I really don't know exactly what he was trying to say. The man was a amazing genius and I could never hope to completely understand the things he understood.
Jimbo

United States

#3177 Oct 30, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Jimbo, the point many atheists make is that they genuinely had never heard of Flew. Perhaps you need to be really old to even remember him.
And just as likely, it is the fundamentalists Christians who tout him who describe him as the "most famous atheist in the world" -- i.e. they lie, which is not unusual.
At any rate, Flew and his supposed change of heart men=an NOTHING to the average atheist who thinks for himself.
1. The fact remains he existed he was a famous atheist and before his death he decided there was intelligent design and a GOD. That is fact. The original poster (Maddy) was correct. To my knowledge the poster didn't endorse those beliefs and neither have I.
buckwheat

Tulsa, OK

#3178 Oct 30, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
I imagine there are very few people who have heard of him. He just fits the agenda of the christians.

I could use google and come up with an obscure name, too, If I really cared to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 25 min Samuel Patre 87,244
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) Sat superwilly 5,811
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Feb 14 ChristineM 4,032
Christianity almost did not happen Feb 12 Quatsch22 1
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Feb 12 dollarsbillmom 19
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Feb 10 superwilly 5,154
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Feb 9 Eagle 12 - 257
More from around the web