'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#3137 Oct 30, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
that I know of
There's your failure right there. its your knowledge.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#3138 Oct 30, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
You have never heard being called a religion? wow guess that shows how utterly sheltered you really are. A good deal of America believes in creation my dear and no, you can't actually prove the age of the earth. Do you realize how many times scientists have been wrong about how old it is? It has been revised many, many times because they honestly don't know. Dating methods are highly questionable but you wouldn't know about that either I suppose. Seriously, google it and spend a few days reading.
Anti you are no more a Geologist than you are a Christian and you have been painfully and ignorantally wrong on both subjects.

You obsession with us fascinating atheists is flattering.
We feel that you should however, go outside once in a while.
Your God has created a great big world for you and you are spending so much time online in the basement.

Maybe go for a walk in a park or go to an NRA meeting,maybe a book burning or protest "the gays" Get out there and meet people.

You have posted 38 times this week on an Atheist forum and its just Wedndsday morning.
I just can help but wonder if you are giving God that much attention, you know how jealous he can be.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#3139 Oct 30, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
our beliefs into textbooks? Ha you must be kidding. I never once read anything in any textbook about God or creation. Its YOU that want YOUR beliefs into textbooks. I swear I've never heard any group of people cry so much in my life. You want 90% of the population to bend over backwards for 10%.
You could have put a period after, "I never once read anything in any textbook", stopped there and had a statement we can all agree with.

Every year there's a battle in Texas over attempts by creationists to change the Texas school book standards to include creationism in science texts. So far, sanity has won out in the end, although there have been some close ones.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3140 Oct 30, 2013
angel are you a geologist? Didn't think so.

Amused........they teach the religion of evolution so why are you afraid of an opposing view? What you afraid of amused?

seeyou........again you just totally make things up. No taxes are used to support churches. Tax dollars ARE used to support abortions. Christians are the ones that should be mad...not atheists.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#3141 Oct 30, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Amused........they teach the religion of evolution so why are you afraid of an opposing view? What you afraid of amused?
seeyou........again you just totally make things up. No taxes are used to support churches. Tax dollars ARE used to support abortions. Christians are the ones that should be mad...not atheists.
Evolution is a fact. You can't have an "opposing view" to a fact. Its called a delusion.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#3142 Oct 30, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
evolution is not a proven fact of life.
Really? Tell that to the evangelical Christians at Baylor University, the "largest Baptist University in the world," where the students go on mission trips, etc.

This is from the Biology Department at Baylor:
http://www.baylor.edu/biology/index.php...

Statement on Evolution
"Evolution, a foundational principle of modern biology, is supported by overwhelming scientific evidence and is accepted by the vast majority of scientists. Because it is fundamental to the understanding of modern biology, the faculty in the Biology Department at Baylor University, Waco, TX, teach evolution throughout the biology curriculum. We are in accordance with the American Association for Advancement of Science's statement on evolution. We are a science department, so we do not teach alternative hypotheses or philosophically deduced theories that cannot be tested rigorously."

Also, here from the Baylor Geology Department:
http://www.baylor.edu/geology/index.php...

Quote:

"Question: Does the fossil record support the idea of biological change over time (biological evolution)?

Yes. The fossil record clearly indicates...

• a progression in complexity of organisms from very simple fossil forms in the oldest rocks (>3.5 billion years old) to a broad spectrum from simple to complex forms in younger rocks,

• that some organisms that were once common are now extinct, and

• that the living organisms inhabiting our world today are similar (but generally not the same) as organisms represented as fossils in young sedimentary deposits, which in turn have evolutionary ancestors represented as fossils in yet older rocks.

Mammals, for example, are prevalent today and can be traced back in the fossil record for approximately 200 million years, but are not present as mammals in the fossil record before that; however, fossil forms that have reasonably been interpreted to be associated with the evolutionary precursors to mammals are found in older rocks.

Whether biological evolution occurs has not been a matter of scientific debate for more than a century. It is considered a proven fact."

End quote
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#3144 Oct 30, 2013
Just to emphasis for our resident CHristian moron:

From the Baptist, evangelical Christians who teach science at Baylor University:

"Whether biological evolution occurs has not been a matter of scientific debate for more than a century. It is considered a proven fact."
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#3145 Oct 30, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Do I believe the earth is 6000 yrs old? Of course I do.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/sumerians-lo...

Sumerians Look On In Confusion As God Creates World

"Members of the earth's earliest known civilization, the Sumerians, looked on in shock and confusion some 6,000 years ago as God, the Lord Almighty, created Heaven and Earth."
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#3146 Oct 30, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
You believe its several billions of years old right? Thats what your religion teaches. Nobody was there...you can't observe it or replicate it. Its all a guess
Extensive scientific evidence is NOT a "guess."

Radiometric Dating A Christian Perspective
http://www.asa3.org/ASA/resources/Wiens.html

Dr. Roger C. Wiens

Quote:

Many Christians have been led to distrust radiometric dating and are completely unaware of the great number of laboratory measurements that have shown these methods to be consistent. Many are also unaware that Bible-believing Christians are among those actively involved in radiometric dating.

This paper describes in relatively simple terms how a number of the dating techniques work, how accurately the half-lives of the radioactive elements and the rock dates themselves are known, and how dates are checked with one another. In the process the paper refutes a number of misconceptions prevalent among Christians today. This paper is available on the web via the American Scientific Affiliation and related sites to promote greater understanding and wisdom on this issue, particularly within the Christian community.

http://www.asa3.org/ASA/resources/Wiens.html#...

Quote:

The Age of the Earth

We now turn our attention to what the dating systems tell us about the age of the Earth. The most obvious constraint is the age of the oldest rocks. These have been dated at up to about four billion years. But actually only a very small portion of the Earth's rocks are that old. From satellite data and other measurements we know that the Earth's surface is constantly rearranging itself little by little as Earthquakes occur. Such rearranging cannot occur without some of the Earth's surface disappearing under other parts of the Earth's surface, re-melting some of the rock. So it appears that none of the rocks have survived from the creation of the Earth without undergoing remelting, metamorphism, or erosion, and all we can say--from this line of evidence--is that the Earth appears to be at least as old as the four billion year old rocks.

When scientists began systematically dating meteorites they learned a very interesting thing: nearly all of the meteorites had practically identical ages, at 4.56 billion years. These meteorites are chips off the asteroids. When the asteroids were formed in space, they cooled relatively quickly (some of them may never have gotten very warm), so all of their rocks were formed within a few million years. The asteroids' rocks have not been remelted ever since, so the ages have generally not been disturbed. Meteorites that show evidence of being from the largest asteroids have slightly younger ages. The moon is larger than the largest asteroid. Most of the rocks we have from the moon do not exceed 4.1 billion years. The samples thought to be the oldest are highly pulverized and difficult to date, though there are a few dates extending all the way to 4.4 to 4.5 billion years.

Most scientists think that all the bodies in the solar system were created at about the same time. Evidence from the uranium, thorium, and lead isotopes links the Earth's age with that of the meteorites. This would make the Earth 4.5-4.6 billion years old.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#3147 Oct 30, 2013
antiatheist wrote:

No shit Sherlock...I said I just wanted to change the subject...read and retain anti...read and retain.

And you are mad!!! Lol
Amused

Lowell, MA

#3148 Oct 30, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
I'm afraid of our schools, which already do a poor job of teaching science, will become a cesspool of superstitious nonsense taught as science. Our students are already falling behind students from other developed countries academically, especially in science and math. A generation of religiously instructed ignoramuses will not help us reclaim our edge in science and engineering.

Science classes are for teaching science, not spreading superstition and ignorance. There is clearly no scientific basis for creationism. It has no place in science classes.
Maddy

United States

#3149 Oct 30, 2013
On the contrary the most famous atheist in the world Anthony Flew after a lifetime of professing in the belief of NO GOD came to the ultimate conclusion there is a intelligent design behind the universe and what we understand in science.

Einstein came to the same conclusion of intelligent design.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3150 Oct 30, 2013
our schools have been teaching evolution for decades so whats your excuse?

There is no evidence that we evolved from an ape like ancestor. You and gillette are confusing the different types of evolution. Things evolve over time but one species doesn't turn into another. Man has always been man and ape has always been ape. Comprende?
Maddy

United States

#3151 Oct 30, 2013
Maddy wrote:
On the contrary the most famous atheist in the world Anthony Flew after a lifetime of professing in the belief of NO GOD came to the ultimate conclusion there is a intelligent design behind the universe and what we understand in science.
Einstein came to the same conclusion of intelligent design.
What part of what I posted is not valid? Do you have any verifiable proof (Please give link)which states what I posted is untrue?

Perhaps the icon robot should google Anthony Flew and Einstein, lol.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#3152 Oct 30, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
our schools have been teaching evolution for decades so whats your excuse?

There is no evidence that we evolved from an ape like ancestor. You and gillette are confusing the different types of evolution. Things evolve over time but one species doesn't turn into another. Man has always been man and ape has always been ape. Comprende?
You are correct...evolution does not claim that we came from apes, and we did not come from apes.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#3153 Oct 30, 2013
Maddy wrote:
http://ffrf.org/legacy/books/lfif/

Losing Faith In Faith: From Preacher To Atheist
by Dan Barker

After 19 years of evangelical preaching, missionizing, evangelism and Christian songwriting, Dan Barker "threw out the bathwater and discovered there is no baby there."

GIllette: You can read chapters of his de-conversion tale right there at the link above.
Maddy

United States

#3154 Oct 30, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
http://ffrf.org/legacy/books/lfif/
Losing Faith In Faith: From Preacher To Atheist
by Dan Barker
After 19 years of evangelical preaching, missionizing, evangelism and Christian songwriting, Dan Barker "threw out the bathwater and discovered there is no baby there."
GIllette: You can read chapters of his de-conversion tale right there at the link above.
Thanks, but I'm not confused or searching for confirmation. I simply supplied information there are well known scientists who are widely respected who have a different point of view. A. Flew was the most famous atheist of his time and Einstein's personal intelligence level is still spoken of in awe.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#3155 Oct 30, 2013
Maddy wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, but I'm not confused or searching for confirmation. I simply supplied information there are well known scientists who are widely respected who have a different point of view. A. Flew was the most famous atheist of his time and Einstein's personal intelligence level is still spoken of in awe.
And there are plenty of people -- ministers, preachers and Christian musicians, etc.-- who walk away from born again Protestantism to become atheists, agnostics and MUSLIMS (the fastest growing religion in the west)!

Just simply "supplying information" myself.

I have a website chock full of long, detailed Christian fundamentalist de-conversion sagas. May start posting those for everyone's edification.:)
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#3156 Oct 30, 2013
Maddy wrote:
<quoted text>
....Einstein's personal intelligence level is still spoken of in awe.
Didn't do him a bit of good thought, did it? He's roasting in hell forever at the hands of your lovely Jesus, right? Jewish/agnostic who didn't "accept Jesus as his lord and savior"?

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#3157 Oct 30, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Yes,Anti I did go to college for Geology. I am also a certified Gemologist and Lapidary. I have spent a great deal of time (and money) educating myself on how the earth was formed and how it contunues to change over time.It is something I understand very well. I have been a rockhound for many years, the rock cycle is facinating to me and is one of my many passions in life.

Sorry it took me so long to respond to you but I just don't have the kind of free time to dedicate to this forum that you do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 16 min Into The Night 83,247
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 9 hr Dogen 2,578
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu Dan78iel 3,989
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct '17 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web