'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7553 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#3117 Oct 29, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
what you don't seem to understand is that evolution is also a religion. You can't prove how old the earth is, that we evolved from apes, etc. This is all unproven. Do I believe the earth is 6000 yrs old? Of course I do. Why would I not? You believe its several billions of years old right? Thats what your religion teaches. Nobody was there...you can't observe it or replicate it. Its all a guess
You are honestly the only person that I have ever heard of call evolution a religion. I am actually in shock. You actually can prove that the earth is much older than 6000 years old lol!!!!!
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#3118 Oct 29, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
" ...We shall not flag nor fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France and on the seas and oceans; we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet,
will carry on the struggle until in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old."
The Fools Overture by Supertramp.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3119 Oct 29, 2013
You have never heard being called a religion? wow guess that shows how utterly sheltered you really are. A good deal of America believes in creation my dear and no, you can't actually prove the age of the earth. Do you realize how many times scientists have been wrong about how old it is? It has been revised many, many times because they honestly don't know. Dating methods are highly questionable but you wouldn't know about that either I suppose. Seriously, google it and spend a few days reading.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#3120 Oct 29, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
" ...We shall not flag nor fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France and on the seas and oceans; we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet,
will carry on the struggle until in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old."
Woke up on the wrong side of the pond this morning, Mr. Churchill?

There isn't much wiggle room in those funny jackets, with the extra, extra long sleeves, is there? Well certainly not enough that we'd start believing, that you were Winston himself.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#3121 Oct 29, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
You have never heard being called a religion? wow guess that shows how utterly sheltered you really are. A good deal of America believes in creation my dear and no, you can't actually prove the age of the earth. Do you realize how many times scientists have been wrong about how old it is? It has been revised many, many times because they honestly don't know. Dating methods are highly questionable but you wouldn't know about that either I suppose. Seriously, google it and spend a few days reading.
Lol!!! Yeah...as I said...you keep talkin your talk dear. You have done no research whatsoever and I love how you've scoffed at me for calling people delusional for believing by faith, but these highly educated people hand you material after material after material, all things that you can easily be shown and taught to do yourself, and you blatantly deny every bit of it cause you don't have a fossil to put in your pocket lol. Keep reading your bible anti, and we'll keep studying the world as science shows us ;-). Now, would you like to get off the god topics cause I know I sure would...or do you wanna continue arguing about things that we'll never agree on???? I bet I know the answer to that one *smiles
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3122 Oct 29, 2013
The problem is you think people are dumb or delusional for believing in God which is just another reason people don't really like atheists. Since you seem to put a lot of importance in man, there are some extremely intelligent people that believe in God. Basically all of our presidents believed in God and I would consider them 100x more intelligent than you are. I mean really, you aren't even aware that many people think evolution is a religion. That just shows your ignorance my dear. If someone calls themselves a scientist and secular then you pretty much believe everything they say and fail to question. One day when you get older you might change your tune. Right now your youth and immaturity works against you.
buckwheat

Tulsa, OK

#3123 Oct 29, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
I believe you should have said "like you AND Texas"
Wow. Just when I didn't think you could be any dumber you drop this little gem. So you think Texas can talk? It might happen on your short bus if you miss your meds, but not in the real world. Texas is merely a large state consisting of dirt, grass, trees, rocks and weeds....etc. IT CAN'T TALK.

Now the people living IN Texas are a different story. They CAN talk. See how it works, Skipper?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3124 Oct 29, 2013
buck I know its a little embarrassing for you but the smart thing to do is admit you made a mistake and move on. Atheists aren't famous for being humble but you should try it sometime. You actually come off looking a lot better and people respect you more for it.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#3125 Oct 29, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
The problem is you think people are dumb or delusional for believing in God which is just another reason people don't really like atheists. Since you seem to put a lot of importance in man, there are some extremely intelligent people that believe in God. Basically all of our presidents believed in God and I would consider them 100x more intelligent than you are. I mean really, you aren't even aware that many people think evolution is a religion. That just shows your ignorance my dear. If someone calls themselves a scientist and secular then you pretty much believe everything they say and fail to question. One day when you get older you might change your tune. Right now your youth and immaturity works against you.
I never said dumb, you did...and you are the one who only wants to believe the intelligent people who believe in gods...and all of our presidents did not believe in gods hun...your reaching here...and you would think a rock to be smarter than me, but you still wouldn't believe what it could tell you without even speaking so I do not take that as the insult that you intended ;-)...if evolution is a religion then I guess I do have a religion lmao....now what???? I never said that I believe any and all scientists and there are religious people who I can easily agree with as long as they also hold to the truth that the earth is obviously much older than six thousand years lol. By the by, why are we still arguing over the issues that "I'm" supposedly obsessed with, but you seem to not want to stray from??? I think this shows your immaturity no matte what your age may be.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#3126 Oct 29, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
The problem is you think people are dumb or delusional for believing in God which is just another reason people don't really like atheists. Since you seem to put a lot of importance in man, there are some extremely intelligent people that believe in God. Basically all of our presidents believed in God and I would consider them 100x more intelligent than you are. I mean really, you aren't even aware that many people think evolution is a religion. That just shows your ignorance my dear. If someone calls themselves a scientist and secular then you pretty much believe everything they say and fail to question. One day when you get older you might change your tune. Right now your youth and immaturity works against you.
Darlin ;-). By the way...how old are you?
I_See_You

Benton, KY

#3127 Oct 29, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
our beliefs into textbooks? Ha you must be kidding. I never once read anything in any textbook about God or creation. Its YOU that want YOUR beliefs into textbooks. I swear I've never heard any group of people cry so much in my life. You want 90% of the population to bend over backwards for 10%.
Lmao!!! You do realize that I pay taxes for your damn churches right??? LOL... you got it all kinds of twisted.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3128 Oct 29, 2013
you pay taxes for my church? Ummmmm how is that? I pay taxes for all your abortions and tons of things I don't agree with...darlin.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#3129 Oct 29, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
you pay taxes for my church? Ummmmm how is that? I pay taxes for all your abortions and tons of things I don't agree with...darlin.
Right?!?! Lol and you bitch about it don't ya??? Lol...so now you wanna talk about somethin else yet?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3130 Oct 29, 2013
please explain how you are paying taxes for my church. All churches that I know of are supported solely by its members...not tax dollars.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#3131 Oct 29, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
please explain how you are paying taxes for my church. All churches that I know of are supported solely by its members...not tax dollars.
Oh I don't ;-)... I just wanted off the evolution topic lol.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#3132 Oct 30, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
ha.....see there, you are making my point for me. Poor little atheists can't catch a break. Evolution has been in our textbooks for decades despite the fact that its one of the biggest lies in history. Are you honestly that dumb to believe one species turns into another? I can't seem to get it through your thick skull that there are no transitional fossils to prove this theory. Comprende? Now YOU are the one that is threatened by teaching an opposing view? Christians have had to put up with this one sided nonsense for years and years. Thanks for making my point about crybaby atheists though.
Lying does not support your point. What you would consider a "transitional fossil" and what a "transitional fossil" actually is are diametrically opposed.

What you would consider a "transitional fossil" would falsify the Theory of Evolution.... but then evolution doesn't propose that a 1/2 man 1/2 monkey would be a step in the evolutionary process... but creationists trying to keep their believers around do.

If you knew ANYTHING about the subject you would know that. But since reality doesn't support your views, the need to twist it to fit arises... but then any perceived credibility you may have had is also gone... not that you really had any to begin with

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#3133 Oct 30, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
"Crybabies like you in Texas are trying to force the school system to buy new textbooks that don't say anything about evolution"
I believe you should have said "like you AND Texas". "you IN Texas" tells me that you think I'm in Texas. Please don't make me continue to give you English lessons.
Holy crap!! You really ARE that dumb!! He's missing some punctuation... but HOLY CRAP!

BYW... I hope you never try to teach ANYTHING to ANYONE!

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#3134 Oct 30, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
"Crybabies, like you, in Texas are trying to force the school system to buy new textbooks that don't say anything about evolution"
lol and you honestly think that sentence makes sense? Me, in Texas? ha......man you can't even understand English. Let me teach you one more time. Maybe you meant to say "like you, AND Texas". See how that makes more sense? And you expect me to actually take you seriously?
LOL!! You just can't stop flexing your stupidity, can you

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#3135 Oct 30, 2013
buckwheat wrote:
<quoted text>Wow. Just when I didn't think you could be any dumber you drop this little gem. So you think Texas can talk? It might happen on your short bus if you miss your meds, but not in the real world. Texas is merely a large state consisting of dirt, grass, trees, rocks and weeds....etc. IT CAN'T TALK.
Now the people living IN Texas are a different story. They CAN talk. See how it works, Skipper?
LOL! Don't bother... he knows he's wrong but can't help but try to maintain that he's correct... no matter how stupid it makes him look!

Intelligence is not promoted in the bible... but, outside of a few chosen verses, he's never read that either.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#3136 Oct 30, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
The problem is you think people are dumb or delusional for believing in God
No we don't. We know that when questioned about god, Creationist default response is to lie and threaten. It is a mental illness and its victims need help and support.
antiatheist wrote:
which is just another reason people don't really like atheists.
Nonsense. Theists don't like atheists because they lie to themselves about god and want to keep the illusion going. Atheists remind them about this fact and its annoying to dishonest people who have ego problems.
antiatheist wrote:
Since you seem to put a lot of importance in man, there are some extremely intelligent people that believe in God.
It doesn't matter what people believe, all that matters is the facts. You're simple minded liars with no proof of god. You realise you have no proof, so the mental illness requires you to lie about god in order to convert / persuade people.

If religion was a business it would be in jail for false advertising and fraud.
antiatheist wrote:
Basically all of our presidents believed in God and I would consider them 100x more intelligent than you are.
All that matters is the facts - god isn't real and you're lying about it. Backed 100% by science and evidence.

Politicians know to believe in whatever most of the people believe in to get their vote.
antiatheist wrote:
I mean really, you aren't even aware that many people think evolution is a religion.
Evolution is a fact of life. Its a fact you can't change no matter how strong your religious beliefs are.

A doctor can show you your DNA in less than 10 minutes. The fact of evolution is denied by religious liars who cling to their myths out of desperation and fear of knowledge.
antiatheist wrote:
That just shows your ignorance my dear. If someone calls themselves a scientist and secular then you pretty much believe everything they say and fail to question.
Wrong, Atheists don't believe in scientists, atheists instead accept established scientific facts based on hard evidence, tested by time and honesty research.
antiatheist wrote:
One day when you get older you might change your tune. Right now your youth and immaturity works against you.
Unless the facts change, this will never happen.

Perhaps you need to treat your mental illness and learn to accept that your religious worldview has flaws and is not accepted by smart people who have studied the world around them for real.

To argue back against evolution is a stupid thing to do, especially since you have no proof of god or anything for your cult being true.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr woodtick57 6,727
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 hr Rosa_Winkel 238,467
Is God a Perfect Being? 4 hr hpcaban 3
introvert and an atheist 6 hr 10uhsee 1
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr thetruth 2,107
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 hr thetruth 18,906
News .com | What hope is there without God? 11 hr Thinking 6
More from around the web