'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3014 Oct 27, 2013
they have millions of trans fossils at the smithsonian? Please provide evidence of this

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#3015 Oct 28, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
they have millions of trans fossils at the smithsonian? Please provide evidence of this
I've done that for you already...if you've had a visit, then you have for certain seen the evidence with your very own little eyes...I can't help it if you are so silly that you argue against things that you've already seen.
go figure

Qatif, Saudi Arabia

#3016 Oct 28, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill Gates - atheist and world's largest philanthropist.
I thought we went through that yesterday?
But creationists must lie to protect their weak cults
Religious people love money....Atheist love people
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#3017 Oct 28, 2013
You can't have lots religion with little corruption.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#3018 Oct 28, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I've done that for you already...if you've had a visit, then you have for certain seen the evidence with your very own little eyes...I can't help it if you are so silly that you argue against things that you've already seen.
I love how these religious trolls demand to see things that have been available for public access for decades.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#3019 Oct 28, 2013
Now wrote:
<quoted text>
"Very well" told me about this site. He is right. You are an idiot. We are realizing what a cult you represent.
You must go about barefoot, since you use all your socks as sock puppets so you can agree with yourself. Surely you don't expect us to believe that Pelham AL has more than one resident in its dangerously inbred population who has internet access.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#3020 Oct 28, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
The Smithsonian, like most museums have some fossils, most fossils though are not on display, they are cleaned, cataloged and put into safe storage. There is not a single space set aside for the collection of all fossils, they are in thousands of different facilities all over the earth.

While millions of fossilized bits of bone have been found, millions more have not yet been. Everything that dies, does not get fossilized. It takes certain conditions to preserve the remains, so we will never have as many fossils as there are deaths.
And we will never find all the fossils that are out there.
LCNLin

Marietta, GA

#3021 Oct 28, 2013
a cute aside proving nothing
<laughing>
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3022 Oct 28, 2013
well first of all ... there aren't millions of trans fossils in the smithsonian or anywhere else for that matter. Secondly, the fossils you gave me a link to are not trans fossils. They are fossils of apes and the "scientists" take a huge leap to connect them to modern day man. There are no transitional fossils of the missing link that they have been searching for for many years. There is also a lot of artistic expression going on.

"Artist John Gurche used the latest forensic techniques, fossil discoveries, and 20 years of experience to create the lifelike head reconstructions of early humans on display in the Hall of Human Origins, as well as the full-body reconstruction of the fossil nicknamed "Lucy" (AL 288-1). The painstaking process required a detailed knowledge of human and ape anatomy. It took Gurche 2½ years to complete these busts. Gurche also created the five bronze statues of different early human species on display in the Hall of Human Origins."
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3023 Oct 28, 2013
again, there should be millions of fossils showing transitions from one species to another if evolution is true. The fact that they haven't found any is troubling for someone who believes in this type of evolution. Things evolve but not from one species into another.
LCNLin

Marietta, GA

#3024 Oct 28, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
well first of all ... there aren't millions of trans fossils in the smithsonian or anywhere else for that matter. Secondly, the fossils you gave me a link to are not trans fossils. They are fossils of apes and the "scientists" take a huge leap to connect them to modern day man. There are no transitional fossils of the missing link that they have been searching for for many years. There is also a lot of artistic expression going on.
"Artist John Gurche used the latest forensic techniques, fossil discoveries, and 20 years of experience to create the lifelike head reconstructions of early humans on display in the Hall of Human Origins, as well as the full-body reconstruction of the fossil nicknamed "Lucy" (AL 288-1). The painstaking process required a detailed knowledge of human and ape anatomy. It took Gurche 2½ years to complete these busts. Gurche also created the five bronze statues of different early human species on display in the Hall of Human Origins."
He is amusing to read!
Do not expect logic!

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#3025 Oct 28, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
All fossils are transitional, we have been over this.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#3026 Oct 28, 2013
New discoveries made everyday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/18/science/fos...
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3027 Oct 28, 2013
quit using the bogus "all fossils are transitional" nonsense. We aren't transitioning into some kind of super human. We both know we are talking about fossils that show man transitioning into what we are today. They don't exist. The only response you guys have to is start the immature name calling. Scientists have been searching for the missing link like crazy for many, many years and...nothing. Admit its a huge problem for secularlists
Bud

United States

#3028 Oct 28, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
quit using the bogus "all fossils are transitional" nonsense. We aren't transitioning into some kind of super human. We both know we are talking about fossils that show man transitioning into what we are today. They don't exist. The only response you guys have to is start the immature name calling. Scientists have been searching for the missing link like crazy for many, many years and...nothing. Admit its a huge problem for secularlists
Evolution is about 'change' and change does happen. Scientist don't have all the answers everyone including them know this. Is there politics in higher learning yes, but higher learning is based on searching for answers, verifiable concrete answers to mysteries. Educated guessing has been happening since man's first intelligent thought so don't get so bent out of shape if it happens concerning an atheist or a religious person. It happens.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3029 Oct 28, 2013
I agree Bud. Things evolve over time and I don't think anyone is doubting that. I'm simply saying things don't evolve from one species into another. That doesn't happen and there is no proof that it does. Science all too often is hijacked with people with an agenda and they jump to extreme conclusions based only on how they choose to view evidence. Their world view is more important to them than reality. They have searched high and low for this missing link that has never materialized. All we have are hoaxes and lies from "scienctists" who have preconceived ideas.
Bud

United States

#3030 Oct 28, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
I agree Bud. Things evolve over time and I don't think anyone is doubting that. I'm simply saying things don't evolve from one species into another. That doesn't happen and there is no proof that it does. Science all too often is hijacked with people with an agenda and they jump to extreme conclusions based only on how they choose to view evidence. Their world view is more important to them than reality. They have searched high and low for this missing link that has never materialized. All we have are hoaxes and lies from "scienctists" who have preconceived ideas.
"All we have are hoaxes and lies from scientist who have preconceived ideas"....careful you don't tar & feather all scientist because that wouldn't be a truthful statement. Your condemnation of scientist could easily be attributed to religious zealots.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#3031 Oct 28, 2013
Careful Bud, I didn't tar and feather all scientists. I tar and feathered the idea that we somehow have evidence that animals evolve into an entirely different species. You use the term "religious zealot" when we both know zeolot can also be used to describe a scientists. I'm all for discovery and I think most Christians welcome it. What I don't like is someones biased opinion being presented as fact.
Bud

United States

#3032 Oct 28, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
What I don't like is someones biased opinion being presented as fact.
I don't like bias wherever I find it. On this subject or in politics, lol. Opinion is just that opinion. Educated guessing is nothing more than that and both scientists and religions engage in every single day.

Scientist are supposed to follow the clues and to question all things to prove all things BEFORE stating it as fact.

The Bible admonishes 'to prove all things, hold fast to what is good'...

Perhaps there is common ground?
buckwheat

Tulsa, OK

#3033 Oct 28, 2013
Religion has outlived it's usefulness, if it ever really was useful. I guess it was very useful to the upper echolon, though.

In the beginning the bible was a rule book used to fill the coffers of the king and church, to keep the peasants in line and toiling in the fields. It helped to avoid uprisings by making promises that those who obeyed the scriptures would go to heaven when they died and "live" in luxury for eternity. Those who disobeyed would be cast into a lake of fire and burn for all eternity. Those threats and promises seemed entirely plausible at the time.

Parents began to teach those rules and promises to their offspring, often embellishing on what they had been told, and crediting the stories to people who were there and were friends and acquaintances of jesus himself.

When Oral Roberts first hit television in the '50's and began healing the sick and crippled, religion exploded into a frenzy that lasted for decades. You can't really blame the folks for falling for that charleton, because most of those sheep were poorly educated and grasping at any straw that may be connected to a better life.

However, the most amazing thing that I can't wrap my mind around is how, in today's age of technology, and increased intelligence, people STILL believe that fairy tale and continue to pass it on their children.

Take a walk in a park. Forget everything you were taught, and clear you mind. Using you own intellect and power of reasoning figure out for yourself if the things that you were spoon-fed growing up could really have happened the way they are written in the bible. Look at each detail from BOTH sides of the debate and re-evaluate your standing. Can't hurt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 33 min Brian_G 43,200
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr replaytime 18,549
News Why I quit atheism 6 hr Eagle 12 708
Good arguments against Christianity 9 hr superwilly 209
A Universe from Nothing? 10 hr Mikko 533
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 15 hr Thinking 5,696
Atheism is a mental illness 15 hr Eagle 12 11
More from around the web