'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

Jul 5, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NewsOK.com

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Comments
2,761 - 2,780 of 7,541 Comments Last updated May 29, 2014

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

Jessup wrote:
<quoted text>
Suggestion for some light reading: Killing Jesus by Bill O'Reilly
New York Times Best Seller written as a historical accounting instead of from a religious accounting of the life of Jesus.
Bill Full-of-Hate O'Reilly is only out to make more millions for himself.

He does it by selling his swill-and-lies to the stupid and the very gullible.

In fact? O'Reilly would not recognize a fact at all-- unless it came wrapped up in a $1,000 bill-- which they no longer print.

Leaving him pretty much fact-less...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

Jessup wrote:
<quoted text>
Suggestion for some light reading: Killing Jesus by Bill O'Reilly
New York Times Best Seller written as a historical accounting instead of from a religious accounting of the life of Jesus.
Since you have unwittingly revealed your political leanings?

Here's one for you:

You do not **GET** to call the US a Christian Nation, and then go on to be against the Affordable Care Act, and be against Welfare and be against Food Stamps.

Your Jesus according to your bible, commanded you to FEED the poor, and to HOUSE the homeless and to HEAL the sick.

Your churches have FAILED in this Great Command.

So the US Government has had to step up to do YOUR OWN COMMANDED TASKS, instead.

Food stamps are about feeding the poor-- just as your Jesus commanded you to.

Welfare are about housing the homeless-- just as your Jesus commanded you to.

And the Affordable Care Act? Is about healing the sick-- JUST as your Jesus commanded you to.

In short?

You do not get to claim one thing and do the opposite.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

Lelouch0 wrote:
That man writes absolutely nothing that is factual. Surely you realize that, don't you? I really hope you do realize that he's a liar. As for what Bob said about Jesus not existing, that's the complete and utter truth.
Flavius Josephus, the man who was supposed to have documented his existence in a small paragraph, never did. That paragraph was inserted there hundreds, if not thousands of years later.
O'Reilly only accepts "facts" that are wrapped up in $1000 bills.

He's just in it for the money-- and he discovered that there are more stupid people on the far right (and thus, easy to fool--and even easier to get money from) than on the left.

I would be funny, if it were not so very sad.
Bud

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill Full-of-Hate O'Reilly is only out to make more millions for himself.
He does it by selling his swill-and-lies to the stupid and the very gullible.
In fact? O'Reilly would not recognize a fact at all-- unless it came wrapped up in a $1,000 bill-- which they no longer print.
Leaving him pretty much fact-less...
Careful little man, your bias is showing :-) Are you jealous of someone else's ability to be relevant and opinions sought? And here you are with all the answers and no one is listening? Anger and frustration permeates each and every post. Sad existence.
Jessup

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Since you have unwittingly revealed your political leanings?
Here's one for you:
You do not **GET** to call the US a Christian Nation, and then go on to be against the Affordable Care Act, and be against Welfare and be against Food Stamps.
Your Jesus according to your bible, commanded you to FEED the poor, and to HOUSE the homeless and to HEAL the sick.
Your churches have FAILED in this Great Command.
So the US Government has had to step up to do YOUR OWN COMMANDED TASKS, instead.
Food stamps are about feeding the poor-- just as your Jesus commanded you to.
Welfare are about housing the homeless-- just as your Jesus commanded you to.
And the Affordable Care Act? Is about healing the sick-- JUST as your Jesus commanded you to.
In short?
You do not get to claim one thing and do the opposite.
LMAO...again. Never had a discussion with you about politics did I? More deflection from the original point of issue? The subject, I will remind you again was whether Jesus existed and the previous post I made was about atheism.

Bill O'Reilly's book is on the subject of Jesus from a historical reference therefore it was a natural logical process to our conversation.

ACA ObamaCare is the worse rollout of a product I've seen in my entire life. How in the world a tech savvy administration with the cool guy as president be so incompetent?
Lisa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

Bud wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful little man, your bias is showing :-) Are you jealous of someone else's ability to be relevant and opinions sought? And here you are with all the answers and no one is listening? Anger and frustration permeates each and every post. Sad existence.
Arrogant, self promoting, leftist bias, trash talking, ideologue...and he wonders why people meet him and walk away unimpressed? LOL.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

Jessup wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO...again. Never had a discussion with you about politics did I? More deflection from the original point of issue? The subject, I will remind you again was whether Jesus existed and the previous post I made was about atheism.
Bill O'Reilly's book is on the subject of Jesus from a historical reference therefore it was a natural logical process to our conversation.
ACA ObamaCare is the worse rollout of a product I've seen in my entire life. How in the world a tech savvy administration with the cool guy as president be so incompetent?
Failed neocon mouthpiece for your creationist cult that can't present any evidence and neglects the mental health of its followers.
Lisa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

I see the group's think tank is empty, lol.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

So What wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! I never said I fear God, Is your mission to reach 80,000 posts really worth destroying your creditability?
Register with topix, and you too can see your postings counted. And then if you can actually type fast (while still managing to hold on to coherent thoughts) you too can be mocked for daring to exist. Oh wait maybe not, we could care less ... it's you dimbulbs who have a problem with our even drawing breath.
You lot have got to bore the gods to death. Hmm, that might explain it, no gods left. They died of boredom.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Register with topix, and you too can see your postings counted. And then if you can actually type fast (while still managing to hold on to coherent thoughts) you too can be mocked for daring to exist. Oh wait maybe not, we could care less ... it's you dimbulbs who have a problem with our even drawing breath.
You lot have got to bore the gods to death. Hmm, that might explain it, no gods left. They died of boredom.
It's the creationist troll poster, "educated what" back for more embarrassment and shame.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

antiatheist wrote:
Of course Jesus gave his life so we could have eternal life. You still have to accept Him though.
Why? That's absurd.

Your Jesus PAID THE SIN BILL (supposedly).

Put aside for the moment that he paid it ... errr.. to himself, which makes no sense.

Put aside for the moment the absurd idea that the lord and creator of this and countless other universes is, or COULD BE, in any way, offended by anything we human beings do -- offended enough to torture us forever, actually.

If someone goes down to the utilities office and pays my bill, IT'S PAID. Doesn't matter whether I KNOW it's paid, AGREE that it's paid, am GRATEFUL or NOT GRATEFUL that it's paid.

It's still PAID.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

Jessup wrote:
Why not suggest they google 'former atheist' and read about reformed non-believers and why they came to a different conclusion.
Why don't you Google "former Baptist minister" ad get the link to Dan Barker's informative, enlightening book, "Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist"

http://www.amazon.com/Losing-Faith-Preacher-A...

Losing Faith in Faith was helpful to me in my own break from the manacles of religious tyranny. Dan's book makes for both good sense and good humor.--Steve Benson, editorial cartoonist, Arizona Republic

Barker is compelling, humourous, and rational. His arguments are clear and thought-provoking.--Andrew Fandre, Huntsville Times

This book profoundly affected me. It's funny, and poignant, and most importantly, true! You must read this book.--Julia Sweeney, comedian, actress, "Saturday Night Live" alumna

Barker is compelling, humourous, and rational. His arguments are clear and thought-provoking.--Andrew Fandre, Huntsville Times

This book profoundly affected me. It's funny, and poignant, and most importantly, true! You must read this book.--Julia Sweeney, comedian, actress, "Saturday Night Live" alumna

From the Publisher
A challenge to believers; an arsenal for skeptics.-

Review excerpt:

Dan Barker was an evangelical minister and missionary who did everything from writing songs and skits for children to working with youth groups to preaching street sermons to adults. However, somewhere in the course of this career he began to be aware of the fact that his religious beliefs were in serious conflict from his intellectual knowledge about our scientific world.

This book brought many negative aspects of Christianity to light that had been completely ignored, conveinently explained away, or totally unknown to me in my super-religious past. I never realized the Bible was so anti-family and that the various qualities we attribute to God are so self-contradicting. It also further examined some parts of the Bible I had already wondered about, such as its blatant sexism and racism, and its inaccuracy in accordance to history, although I had been told by every preacher out there that it was correct.

If you are from a Christian religious background I can only imagine the response my little book review is illiciting, and I totally expect to receive self-righteous hate mail under the guise of loving Christianity. However, I completely understand, for if I had read a book review like this during my very devoutly religious stage, I would have felt the same way. All I can ask you to do is read the book for yourself. If you read it and disagree with my conclusions, that's great and there is no harm done.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

Jessup wrote:
Why not suggest they google 'former atheist' and read about reformed non-believers and why they came to a different conclusion.
Testimonies of Ex-Christians

The Bible is no longer worthy of my faith
Sent in by John

http://testimonials.exchristian.net/2009/05/b...
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

gillette keep on posting man. I need a good laugh
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Lie.
The bible **describes** the openings in that boat: one on the side, magically sealed by bible-god. One in the roof-- a hatch, really.
There was no way for Noah to **get** the seafood.
And worse?
All the fishes in the sea? Would have DIED from freshwater poisoning.
So unless Noah was into weeks-dead carrion for dinner? There would have been **nothing** for him to catch-- even if he could have got out.
Most of the deluge came from the "fountains of the deep" and they contained salt. Genesis 7:11. The flood was vast but local and salt also came from the dead sea or Salt sea.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

Bud wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful little man, your bias is showing :-) Are you jealous of someone else's ability to be relevant and opinions sought?
O'Rielly is about as relevant as the Easter Bunny.

He's not interested in facts-- he only wants your money.

So he says anything that feeds into your own hate, and you cheerfully give him your last dollar.

He's a millionaire. You? I bet you are dirt poor.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

Jessup wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO...again. Never had a discussion with you about politics did I?
You had no need--your reference to the known liar O'Reilly reveals it all.

You are one of those hate-filled ReThuglicans.

And I embarrassed you too-- you **are** against welfare, food stamps and ACA-- right?

You cannot claim to be christian therefore--you do not follow your Jesus at **all**.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

Jessup wrote:
O'Reilly is not a historian-- he is not interested in history.

He **is** interested in becoming even MORE rich than he already is.

And you gave him another $20 for his book of lies.

LOL!
Jeebus

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

The oceans cover 2/3 of the world. When the earth was flooded the salt content would have been off the chart. How do you suppose, AFTER the flood, that the fresh water was filtered back into the lakes and the salt water sent to the seas and oceans? Hey, Culligan man?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

Jessup wrote:
So?

It is 1000 times better than what you Jesus-roaches do.

Your Jesus ***COMMANDED** you to heal the sick-- do you?

Nope-- YOU OPPOSE THE FIRST REAL ATTEMPT TO DO THAT IN US HISTORY.

You are a hypocritical liar.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 31 min Electrical Engineer 842
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Thinking 252
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 1 hr Carchar king 23
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 1 hr Thinking 396
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Thinking 21,402
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Buck Crick 224,543
What does "Atheism" mean? 8 hr Buck Crick 37
•••
•••