'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2374 Oct 9, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
hmmmmm seems like most every Christian I know celebrates halloween. I can't say the same for atheists when it comes to Christmas. Actually thats the time of year they start crying the most.
Of course they do! Hallow's Eve pre-dates your ugly religion by thousands of years.

It's a tradition going back to the Druids (among other groups). It's a celebration of Fall Equinox, really.

Halloween trumps Xianity by quite a bit, in the Tradition department.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2375 Oct 9, 2013
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
But you dont know most Christians.
Most of the Christians you know and most Chritians are two totally different demographics.
LOL!

True, that. It is doubtful he knows more than 3 or 5 people... and those are strangers who are forced to deal with him. Like at the checkout counter, or the drive-through window, or at the DMV.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2376 Oct 9, 2013
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
I celebrate Christmas, its a great time of the year. Its a time to see friends and family that you may not have seen in a long time. Its a time to reflect on the past year and look forward to the upcomming one. It really has nothing to do with religion, especially Christianity. People were celebrating what we now call Christmas long before it was called Christmas. People have always celebrated the end of the year and the beginning of a new one.
Winter Solstice. Celebrating the lengthening of the days likely goes back 50,000 years or so.

As such, it's a Tradition that literally trumps any modern religion like Xianity or Islam by thousands of years or more.

Lately, I've taken to calling it by it's True Name: Giftmas.

In that, it's **literally** a holiday dedicated to keeping the retail economy going strong.

It would be a shame to let our economy fail, so Gifts for Everyone!

:D
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#2377 Oct 9, 2013
angel you are a typical atheist. You will never accept anything that you don't agree with. Every Christian I've ever known celebrates halloween. Churches even host festivities for the kids in an effort to keep everyone safe from walking the streets, etc. Do atheists go out of their way to have things for the kids on halloween? I've never heard of it.
Christmas has nothing to do with Christianity? You must be out of your mind. Its called "christ" mas for a reason. The whole idea of Christmas is to celebrate Christ' birth. You can live in lalaland if you like but the the rest of the country lives in reality.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#2378 Oct 9, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously?
Who said it did (appear on it's own)?
But for one thing? You have failed to show that even if there **was** something that made the universe start?
That something could very well have been gravity or some other natural process.
How do you go from **that** to your magic god?
Hmmmm?
How did gravity start.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#2379 Oct 9, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
angel you are a typical atheist. You will never accept anything that you don't agree with. Every Christian I've ever known celebrates halloween. Churches even host festivities for the kids in an effort to keep everyone safe from walking the streets, etc. Do atheists go out of their way to have things for the kids on halloween? I've never heard of it.
Christmas has nothing to do with Christianity? You must be out of your mind. Its called "christ" mas for a reason. The whole idea of Christmas is to celebrate Christ' birth. You can live in lalaland if you like but the the rest of the country lives in reality.
Why in the sh#t would I accept something I don't agree with?

That would be agreeing with it.

Dallas, TX

#2380 Oct 9, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Do atheists go out of their way to have things for the kids on halloween?

I dont have kids but my house is all decorated up for Halloween.My neighbors and their kids are very excited about it and they are Catholic. They said ours is the first house they are going to stop at. I haven't gone out of my way to do it because i consider it to be fun. I like building props and programing lighting effects.

Dallas, TX

#2381 Oct 9, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
Its called Christmas now. It hasn't always been that way.
History convincingly shows that Dec. 25 was popularized as the date for Christmas, not because Christ was born on that day but because it was already popular in pagan religious celebrations as the birthday of the sun.
But is it possible that Dec. 25 could be the day of Christ's birth?
"Lacking any scriptural pointers to Jesus's birthday, early Christian teachers suggested dates all over the calendar. Clement picked November 18. Hippolytus figured Christ must have been born on a Wednesday An anonymous document believed to have been written in North Africa around A.D. 243, placed Jesus's birth on March 28" (Jeffery Sheler, U.S. News & World Report, "In Search of Christmas," Dec. 23, 1996, p. 58).
A careful analysis of Scripture, however, clearly indicates that Dec. 25 is an unlikely date for Christ's birth. Here are two primary reasons:
First, we know that shepherds were in the fields watching their flocks at the time of Jesus' birth (Luke 2:7-8). Shepherds were not in the fields during December. According to Celebrations: The Complete Book of American Holidays, Luke's account "suggests that Jesus may have been born in summer or early fall. Since December is cold and rainy in Judea, it is likely the shepherds would have sought shelter for their flocks at night" (p. 309).
Similarly, The Interpreter's One-Volume Commentary says this passage argues "against the birth [of Christ] occurring on Dec. 25 since the weather would not have permitted" shepherds watching over their flocks in the fields at night.
Second, Jesus' parents came to Bethlehem to register in a Roman census (Luke 2:1-4). Such censuses were not taken in winter, when temperatures often dropped below freezing and roads were extremely difficult to travel.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#2382 Oct 9, 2013
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont have kids but my house is all decorated up for Halloween.My neighbors and their kids are very excited about it and they are Catholic. They said ours is the first house they are going to stop at. I haven't gone out of my way to do it because i consider it to be fun. I like building props and programing lighting effects.
I as a Christian I believe Halloween is celebrating the devil, which it is, and not safe for children if they go out on their own.

Dallas, TX

#2384 Oct 9, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
I as a Christian I believe Halloween is celebrating the devil, which it is, and not safe for children if they go out on their own.
you should talk to Antiatheist, he feels that most Christians celebrate Halloween.

i personally see it as a time to decorate the house,go to haunted houses and wear costumes. Nothing more.
So What

Newalla, OK

#2385 Oct 9, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like life, Halloween is what you make of it. Kids enjoy it, what could be so Hellish about that. Lighten up and enjoy what God has provided for you, because if you spend your time looking for the Devil, you will most certainly find him.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#2386 Oct 9, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
How did gravity start.
A gem worthy of re-posting in the "Dumbest Thing Ever Posted by a Godbot" thread, and a strong contender to win that thread. Gravity is a property of mass. Gravity does not, and cannot, exist independent of matter. Then again, I suppose if you can believe a book that postulates that light was created before source of light were created, you are capable of great feats of stupidity.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#2387 Oct 9, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't safe for children to go out on their own because of some deeply sick, and unfortunately very real, human beings, not because of imaginary beings.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#2388 Oct 9, 2013
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
I have two kids, and we never really make much of a deal out of Halloween. The older one often declines to go trick or treating, preferring to give out candy to trick or treaters instead. The younger puts on his costume and goes to a few homes. We don't decorate the house, although we usually carve a pumpkin. I really don't think of Halloween as any big deal, just another marketing event for big business.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#2389 Oct 9, 2013
I'm not talking bout you decorating your house angel. I'm talking about atheists groups having something for the kids. I've personally never heard of it happening.

And I've heard all the bs before about how Christmas is a pagan holiday. Not only do you distort the bible but holidays as well. Everyone knows Christ wasn't born on December 25, its simply a day set aside to celebrate his birth. You can turn your own personal holiday into anything you want, but most of America will be celebrating the birth of Christ.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2390 Oct 9, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
I'm not talking bout you decorating your house angel. I'm talking about atheists groups having something for the kids. I've personally never heard of it happening.
I have been to any number of atheists holiday get-togethers, often including kids.

Just because **you** are a basement-dwelling loser, does not mean the entire world is as secluded as you.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2391 Oct 9, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
And I've heard all the bs before about how Christmas is a pagan holiday. Not only do you distort the bible but holidays as well.
Winter Solstice was celebrated long before your Mary was a gleam in her mother's eye.

In fact? Winter Solstice is older than your hideous Big Book Of Hate (Bible) was even a wet dream of a fanatical goat-herder.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2392 Oct 9, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
You can turn your own personal holiday into anything you want, but most of America will be celebrating the birth of Christ.
Lie.

The **majority** of Americans will be celebrating GIFTMAS: the giving of presents to each other.

And helping to stimulate the economy.

It has damn-all to do with your ugly myth.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#2393 Oct 9, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
And I've heard all the bs before about how Christmas is a pagan holiday. Not only do you distort the bible but holidays as well. Everyone knows Christ wasn't born on December 25, its simply a day set aside to celebrate his birth. You can turn your own personal holiday into anything you want, but most of America will be celebrating the birth of Christ.
Still playing the idiot? Well, you are good at it.

Early christains co-opted the pagan winter solstice rituals to make it easier to force the pagans into accepting christinanity instead of being slaughtered. You know... the old "it's almost the same thing... and better than being dead" sales pitch.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#2394 Oct 9, 2013
like I said terry the moron........celebrate however you like. Better yet, don't. You honestly don't even deserve it. The rest of us, the sane people, will celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior. You, on the other hand, will probably spend it crying over 10 commandment displays and manger scenes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 13 min replaytime 61,601
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 5 hr Dogen 2,721
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 15 hr Aura Mytha 28,325
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Mar 24 IB DaMann 5,970
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Mar 22 Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) Mar 18 Eagle 12 2,043
More from around the web