'Good without a god': Faces of atheis...

'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma

There are 7527 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jul 5, 2013, titled 'Good without a god': Faces of atheism in Oklahoma. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Rebecca Vitsmun is shown during an interview with a CNN reporter shortly after the May 20 tornado that destroyed her Moore home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#2273 Oct 4, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
oh please.........not another atheist catch word. How does it feel to be a robot?
You're a mentally ill creationist robot seeing as you keep lying about god here.

How does being a dishonest liar for your mentally ill cult feel like antiatheist?
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#2274 Oct 4, 2013
lol skeptic and personified are just as crazy on the other side. How did ya'll get so extreme? I really wanna know. Were you taught this or just got influenced by others or what happened? What made you so crazy?
So What

Newalla, OK

#2275 Oct 4, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
lol skeptic and personified are just as crazy on the other side. How did ya'll get so extreme? I really wanna know. Were you taught this or just got influenced by others or what happened? What made you so crazy?
It is people like you that have turned them away from religion. Maybe it is you that should prepare for judgment day.

Romans 14:10
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#2276 Oct 4, 2013
naw they need to be told the truth.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#2277 Oct 4, 2013
Rather be safe than sorry. When it's judgement day,then I'd really like to see atheists saying "God is so non existent".

“In God we trust”

Cape Town, South Africa

#2278 Oct 4, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
naw they need to be told the truth.
Where's the truth, the earth came from nothing.

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#2279 Oct 4, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
Rather be safe than sorry. When it's judgement day,then I'd really like to see atheists saying "God is so non existent".
So it doesn't really matter to you whether religion is correct or not. You are just saying "God is great" just in case there is a God and he likes to hear that kind of stuff.

#1.PASCALS WAGER

#2 Would a god that is as ruthless and bloodthirsty as the one described in the Bible who is gung ho on torturing people for all eternity and telling them "it is their fault because I gave you free will" really fall for your little ruse?
"I believe just in case God exist" do you think that not going to piss him off?

“In God we trust”

Cape Town, South Africa

#2280 Oct 4, 2013
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
So it doesn't really matter to you whether religion is correct or not. You are just saying "God is great" just in case there is a God and he likes to hear that kind of stuff.
#1.PASCALS WAGER
#2 Would a god that is as ruthless and bloodthirsty as the one described in the Bible who is gung ho on torturing people for all eternity and telling them "it is their fault because I gave you free will" really fall for your little ruse?
Ruthless, wow, so you think Humans can murder, torture, steal, not believe their true creator, take drugs, cheat, abuse, be a disgusting person and go to heaven.

Dallas, TX

#2281 Oct 4, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Ruthless, wow, so you think Humans can murder, torture, steal, not believe their true creator, take drugs, cheat, abuse, be a disgusting person and go to heaven.
You totally ignored my questions but I will answer yours.

Yes, according to the Bible's rules you can Lie, cheat, steal, murder, rape, marry a 12 year old and as long as you accept Jesus as your Lord and savior, your good. Your in the gates!
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#2282 Oct 4, 2013
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
#1.PASCALS WAGER
Hell is not physical torture, but it is mental terror. Everybody is going to get a second chance and the Lord will plead with all flesh by fire, and by his sword (word). God will attempt to reason with people up until the end which is the death and resurrection of the Messiah. Jesus is not the Messiah and it's better to be an atheist than a Christian.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#2283 Oct 4, 2013
AngelAngle wrote:
<quoted text>
You totally ignored my questions but I will answer yours.
Yes, according to the Bible's rules you can Lie, cheat, steal, murder, rape, marry a 12 year old and as long as you accept Jesus as your Lord and savior, your good. Your in the gates!
Christians believe Satans lie in the garden of Eden. You can disobey God and not keep his commandments and you won't die. Only the wicked go to hell and both the righteous and the wicked come in all races, creeds, and colors. Jesus has "strengthened the hands of the wicked, that he should not return from his wicked way, by promising him life". Ezekiel 13:22. Jesus serves Satan and is his "messiah".
Amused

Lowell, MA

#2284 Oct 4, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't it even occur to you that disbelief in god almost necessarily implies disbelief in 'heaven'?

Dallas, TX

#2285 Oct 4, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Hell is not physical torture, but it is mental terror. Everybody is going to get a second chance and the Lord will plead with all flesh by fire, and by his sword (word). God will attempt to reason with people up until the end which is the death and resurrection of the Messiah. Jesus is not the Messiah and it's better to be an atheist than a Christian.
Hell or Gehenna was an ancient trash dump outside the gates of Jerusalem. Everything from feces to dead bodies were dumped there. To dispose of the volume of waste it was set on fire. The fire would burn for days or even weeks.

Over time stories of this place of fire filled with the dead gave way to the idea of hell that we know today.

That is the REAL hell. Feel free to look it up.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#2286 Oct 4, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
We've gone over this before. Your argument is just an inartful re-statement of Pascal's Wager. There are several hurdles the Wager fails to overcome.

First, the Wager assumes that you can force yourself to believe something which your reason tells you is false, or at least dubious. If your salvation depended upon your belief that the sky is actually green, do you think you could look up at the sky, which your senses tell you is blue, and actually persuade yourself that your senses are wrong and the sky is truly green? Not merely mouth the words, "the sky is green", but really, deeply and truly believe it? Or perhaps, you think that the god you conceive of is incapable of detecting deception such that merely mouthing the words will fool him into thinking you are a believer?

Second, think about the purpose of the Wager. The purpose is to maximize your chance at going to heaven and minimize your chance of ending up in hell. To accomplish this, you must first pick the correct deity to believe in. Most religions say it really ticks off their deity if you worship another one. That's possibly even worse than mere disbelief. So, how to pick from among the many contenders for the title of one true god?

The idea of an ineffable, invisible being of undefined characteristics is essentially unfalsifiable, so there's no way to conclusively eliminate any of the candidates. We're going to have to play the odds here. Let's start by eliminating all the deities of antiquity that are no longer worshiped by a significant number of people, on the premise that if they no longer have a following, they must have been debunked at least enough to safely discard them.

Just to winnow the field down a bit, let's assume that large numbers of followers illustrates that lots of people find a given deity credible. Of course, argument from popularity is fallacious, and the correct answer could be the deity of some obscure South Seas cargo cult, but we are playing odds here. So, let's narrow the field to the biggest religions out there now - the judeo-christian god, allah, the hindu deities and buddhism.

The hindus and buddhists believe in reincarnation. Believe them and get it wrong and you are in trouble. Disbelieve them and have them turn out to be the right choice, and you get a do-over. So, the risk/reward calculation says it is safe to disregard them.

That leaves jehovah and allah as the two best bets. Which of the two is the best shot?

Some christians, albeit a small minority, don't believe in hell. Some christian sects do accept that a non-believer who leads a good life may go to heaven under some conditions. Some christians believe in purgatory, where sinners not deserving of eternal punishment work off their sins and eventually get to heaven. So christianity includes some possibility, under some interpretations, of non-believers escaping hell and even possibly going to heaven.

Islam, on the other hand, is clear. You are either a muslim or damned. Black or white, no in between.

So, a muslim who dies and finds himself face to face with jehovah has some chance of avoiding hell, and a slight shot at paradise, with or without the 72 virgins. A recently deceased christian eyeball to eyeball with allah, on the other hand, is clearly screwed. Going to hell for certain.

So, if you honestly believe the "just in case" argument, better make an appointment with your local imam. And a good neurosurgeon to perform the lobotomy to ensure you don't turn apostate.

Dallas, TX

#2287 Oct 4, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Christians believe Satans lie in the garden of Eden. You can disobey God and not keep his commandments and you won't die. Only the wicked go to hell and both the righteous and the wicked come in all races, creeds, and colors. Jesus has "strengthened the hands of the wicked, that he should not return from his wicked way, by promising him life". Ezekiel 13:22. Jesus serves Satan and is his "messiah".
Bible NEVER says it was Satan. It says the serpent. Just like it does in the Epic of Gilgamesh. Like everything else is got changed over time.
antiatheist

Seminole, OK

#2289 Oct 4, 2013
oh angel.........why do you hate God so much? Again, you talk about Him constantly. Why not just move on and live your life?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#2290 Oct 4, 2013
antiatheist wrote:
oh angel.........why do you hate God so much? Again, you talk about Him constantly. Why not just move on and live your life?
Oh anti... why are you always on repeat? Aren't you on here to talk about your god?
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#2291 Oct 4, 2013
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't it even occur to you that disbelief in god almost necessarily implies disbelief in 'heaven'?
If there is no heaven, there is no God. The two go hand in hand. I believe in both. The energy in our bodies has to go somewhere when we die. The purpose of life is life. God is called the "King of heaven" Daniel 4:37.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2292 Oct 4, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
If, by some ugly twist of the impossible, your hideous god turns out to be real?

He better be prepared to BEG FOR MY FORGIVENESS.

For the countless and endless atrocity he is directly responsible for, down on earth.

If he grovels at my feet, begging me to forgive him for being LESS THAN GODLY?

I ...**might** consider forgiving him.

Maybe.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2293 Oct 4, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Where's the truth, the earth came from nothing.
That is what your Genesis claims.

It's ludicrous, isn't it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 min Into The Night 94,222
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing (Oct '17) 12 hr Eagle 12 - 139
News Egyptian Parliament considers outlawing atheism Mon Guest 6
Stephen Hawking, now a believer May 8 superwilly 20
The atheists trick May 8 Eagle 12 - 3
News The Anti-Christian Movement May 7 blacklagoon 3 25
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) May 5 Eagle 12 - 5,971