Religious people think God sees things the same way

Aug 7, 2012 Full story: www.guelphmercury.com 12

As an atheist, I have always been somewhat mystified how people using the Bible can derive completely opposite beliefs from it. When asked what God believes, people donít try to remember what the Bible says or what their preacher told them, they just reference their own beliefs.

Full Story

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#1 Aug 7, 2012
"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image, when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." ~ Anne Lamott
nOgOd

Rockford, IL

#3 Aug 7, 2012
"If you believe in judgement day I have to seriously question your judgement."

Bill Maher
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#4 Aug 7, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image, when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." ~ Anne Lamott
thanks for good quote.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#5 Aug 7, 2012
LOL!

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#6 Aug 10, 2012
Anthropomorphism: the attribution of human form or behaviour to a deity, animal, etc
nOgOd

Rockford, IL

#7 Aug 12, 2012
The following quote was posted on youtube. I remember the quote, I don't remember the poster's name.

"The theist is god. Your relationship with god is actually a profound dynamic relationship with the self, with the ego. It is why god knows you so well. It is why his opinions are so often your opinions and why a different believer of the same god as yours can claim that he agrees with god's opinions but not yours. It is why god can seem so very real to you because he is real, he is you."

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#8 Aug 12, 2012
nOgOd wrote:
The following quote was posted on youtube. I remember the quote, I don't remember the poster's name.
"The theist is god. Your relationship with god is actually a profound dynamic relationship with the self, with the ego. It is why god knows you so well. It is why his opinions are so often your opinions and why a different believer of the same god as yours can claim that he agrees with god's opinions but not yours. It is why god can seem so very real to you because he is real, he is you."
TherimanTrees on YouTube did a video.
nOgOd

Rockford, IL

#9 Aug 13, 2012
It was DarkMatter.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
TherimanTrees on YouTube did a video.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#10 Aug 14, 2012
nOgOd wrote:
It was DarkMatter.<quoted text>
DarkMatter is cool, and his method of marketing his drawings is really clever.$1,075 for the drawing if Hitch.

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#11 Aug 14, 2012
nOgOd wrote:
It seems that people of ancient times understood that particular aspect of how the psyche worked as well.[Proverbs 16:2]

The id sees what the ego refuses to accept but we beat him/her/it down anyway. xD

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#12 Aug 14, 2012
nOgOd wrote:
It was DarkMatter.<quoted text>
Ah, I know TheraminTrees did a video on the subject, that's why I had thought it was from him. DarkMatter does tend to give us a lot of quotables though.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#13 Aug 14, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>It seems that people of ancient times understood that particular aspect of how the psyche worked as well.[Proverbs 16:2]
The id sees what the ego refuses to accept but we beat him/her/it down anyway. xD
It would be more accurate to use the ancient Egyptian or Greek texts for such a matter, far more correct far more often on such matters. Egyptians even know that morality was subjective, as is apparent in their after life mythology being based on guilt not actual "sin."

The evolution of religion is an interesting phenomenon as long as you don't get wrapped up in the beliefs. There was a religious golden age between 5,000 BCE and 0 BCE that is often ignored. Then something went horribly wrong and religion left the realm of sanity very quickly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 15 min Dave Nelson 230,003
Islam for peace, or violence? 2 hr Uncle Sam 32
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr Uncle Sam 1,036
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 9 hr Chiclets 22,987
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' 20 hr Thinking 90
Man center of the universe. 20 hr Thinking 87
Razer and Ben Affleck take on the atheists Oct 17 Thinking 6

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE