Required Loyalty Oath in AZ to include "So Help Me God" in High Schools

Posted in the Atheism Forum

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#1 Jan 30, 2013
Arizona Bills Require Public School Students To Recite Loyalty Oaths

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/01/26/1...

Why do these politicians want to waste taxpayer funds on bills that are unconstitutional? Do they think it will be different this time?
Thinking

Saffron Walden, UK

#2 Jan 31, 2013
I went to a christian primary school. We used to substitute a lot of the words in that twatty prayer wank they make you do. So "who art" became "who farts", "daily bread" became "daily shed".

Looking back, "daily head" would've been funnier, but we were far too young to know what that meant.
MrDesoto1 wrote:
Why do these politicians want to waste taxpayer funds on bills that are unconstitutional? Do they think it will be different this time?
Indogitrust

Birmingham, AL

#3 Jan 31, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I went to a christian primary school. We used to substitute a lot of the words in that twatty prayer wank they make you do. So "who art" became "who farts", "daily bread" became "daily shed".
Looking back, "daily head" would've been funnier, but we were far too young to know what that meant.
<quoted text>
I like saying "under dog" when I say the pledge of allegiance

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#4 Jan 31, 2013
Indogitrust wrote:
<quoted text> I like saying "under dog" when I say the pledge of allegiance
“In the melting pot called America, we are one nation under the Constitution…but not one nation under God. Given how the religious right opposes the teaching of evolution or any scientific and social view that conflicts with a literal interpretation of the Bible, we are really becoming one nation undereducated. And that is not an American value to be proud of.”~ Herb Silverman
Indogitrust

United States

#5 Jan 31, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
“In the melting pot called America, we are one nation under the Constitution…but not one nation under God. Given how the religious right opposes the teaching of evolution or any scientific and social view that conflicts with a literal interpretation of the Bible, we are really becoming one nation undereducated. And that is not an American value to be proud of.”~ Herb Silverman
Relax hedonist. I am an atheist and I don't need a history lesson. I'm fully aware that the United States is a constitutional republic.
Amused

Spencer, MA

#6 Jan 31, 2013
MrDesoto1 wrote:
Because the real point of the exercise is to pander to voters too stupid to realize that they are being played for fools. The point isn't to be able to say, "I got laws passed requiring loyalty oaths", it is to be able to say, "I voted for loyalty oaths, but those damned liberal judges wouldn't let us do it." It costs the politician nothing, and pushes all the buttons of a certain segment of voters, including their persecution complex. Remember these two related observations by H.L. Mencken:
1. No one ever went broke by underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
2. The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed and clamoring to be led to safety by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

Since: Sep 08

Neon City Oh.

#7 Jan 31, 2013
While some republicans are trying to get them to quit being the party of crazies, other republicans want to be the party of even more crazy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Chimney1 18,851
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Uncle Sam 238,333
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 20 hr Amused 25
News Confessions of a black atheist 20 hr thetruth 465
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) Sun thetruth 6,124
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Sun thetruth 2,094
News The Consequences of Atheism Sat Koala_Gums 1,340
More from around the web