Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

May 5, 2011 Read more: Free Republic 6,094

'RELIGION SHOULD BE TREATED WITH RIDICULE, HATRED AND CONTEMPT' Atheism, or 'antitheism,' which was once considered taboo in America, has gone somewhat mainstream in today's society.

Read more

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#6589 Dec 4, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
What a hoot! That's too cool!
Yeah ... I definitely owned this issue! Star Trek 4.0 program and SubLogic's FS1 Flight Sim advert ... that was my first Flight Simulator! Trips down memory lane! 300+ pages ...

Texas, USA

#6590 Dec 4, 2013
<quoted text>
Flight Simulator. We had a copy of version 1.0, from IBM.
It would only run monochrome graphics (I seem to remember, maybe it would run that 320 by 200 mode? I don't remember)-- pretty crude. But kinda amazing for all that. I didn't play it much.
But I do understand the attraction-- I understand that Flight Simulator is still going strong, even today, and you can buy real-world packages that simulate actual, real-world airports.
Amazing.
Modern flight sims are very amazing and resource demanding. My 3.2ghz i5 with 3gb GTX660 video card is only 'adequate' for the latest and greatest that offer reflections, shadows, trees, real looking clouds, etc. I think Microsoft has got out of the FS market after FSX (Flight Simulator 10)... selling the software to General Dynamics (or some other aviation defense contractor) who is jazzing it up for training purposes. Civilian versions will still be offered. They've pretty much digitized the globe (DEM or Digital Elevation Map) with satellite imagery overlaid with 3D buildings, trees, bridges, etc. Thousands of freeware airplanes of every description are available ... good stuff.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6591 Dec 4, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Modern flight sims are very amazing and resource demanding. My 3.2ghz i5 with 3gb GTX660 video card is only 'adequate' for the latest and greatest that offer reflections, shadows, trees, real looking clouds, etc. I think Microsoft has got out of the FS market after FSX (Flight Simulator 10)... selling the software to General Dynamics (or some other aviation defense contractor) who is jazzing it up for training purposes. Civilian versions will still be offered. They've pretty much digitized the globe (DEM or Digital Elevation Map) with satellite imagery overlaid with 3D buildings, trees, bridges, etc. Thousands of freeware airplanes of every description are available ... good stuff.
Cool. My machine is good-- but not *that* good. That's amazing.

I suppose I could dial it back some-- I'm told that you can do that.

I do sport 3 flat-screen monitors in a shallow arc, all acting as one giant desktop. I love it.

I play DDO with 180 degree field of view-- it's amazing.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LCNLin

United States

#6592 Dec 4, 2013
WASHINGTON Wading into the "war on Christmas" furies, the committee that runs operations of the House of Representatives issued a policy allowing lawmakers to include holiday greetings in official mail to constituents.

In an announcement Wednesday, House Administration Committee Chairman Candice Miller, R-Mich., wrote:

"I am pleased to announce that, effective immediately, Members of the House may include holiday greetings in their communications to constituents. In the past, including any form of a holiday greeting was banned. While still prohibiting the misuse of official funds, this new commonsense policy allows Members to share their holiday wishes with constituents in otherwise official communications. I feel it is entirely appropriate for members of Congress to include a simple holiday salutation, whether it is Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and so on. "

Members of Congress are given free postage called "franking" to send official mail to their constituents, but the contents of that mail are regulated by a congressional "Franking Commission," which Miller also chairs. The general rule is that mailings sent out under the frank are supposed to be official business only, not political material newsletters describing the lawmakers' legislation or announcing public events in the district, that sort of thing.

The House apparently concluded that being official does not have to mean being unfestive.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Texas, USA

#6593 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
Cool. My machine is good-- but not *that* good. That's amazing.
I suppose I could dial it back some-- I'm told that you can do that.
I do sport 3 flat-screen monitors in a shallow arc, all acting as one giant desktop. I love it.
I play DDO with 180 degree field of view-- it's amazing.
Yeah, you get plenty of ways to control the graphics level, some of which impacts frame rates dramatically. Pretty sure FSX supports multiple monitors (to produce a single image) but I'm sure there's probably a performance penalty ... there always is. I've never had the "real estate" to try it. Some 'hardcore' fans build very realistic cockpits with USB driven instrument panels. There's a whole industry built up around FSX and another product called X-Plane (which uses a more realistic 'model' for flight dynamics).

Anyway, to stay on topic ... nothing will make you want to ridicule Christianity more than flying the virtual skies for a few hours!

Texas, USA

#6594 Dec 5, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
WASHINGTON Wading into the "war on Christmas" furies, the committee that runs operations of the House of Representatives issued a policy allowing lawmakers to include holiday greetings in official mail to constituents.
In an announcement Wednesday, House Administration Committee Chairman Candice Miller, R-Mich., wrote:
"I am pleased to announce that, effective immediately, Members of the House may include holiday greetings in their communications to constituents. In the past, including any form of a holiday greeting was banned. While still prohibiting the misuse of official funds, this new commonsense policy allows Members to share their holiday wishes with constituents in otherwise official communications. I feel it is entirely appropriate for members of Congress to include a simple holiday salutation, whether it is Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and so on. "
Members of Congress are given free postage called "franking" to send official mail to their constituents, but the contents of that mail are regulated by a congressional "Franking Commission," which Miller also chairs. The general rule is that mailings sent out under the frank are supposed to be official business only, not political material newsletters describing the lawmakers' legislation or announcing public events in the district, that sort of thing.
The House apparently concluded that being official does not have to mean being unfestive.
It has nothing to do with being "unfestive" and everything to do with chipping away at the wall that protects our Liberty from the religious fanatics. They would rejoice to see our 'Freedom from Religion' crushed underfoot and everyone chanting prayers to the 'Most High' with robotic repetition.

I think it's ironic how, when another of our Constitutional freedoms is abridged or another dream of the Founding Fathers is eroded away, you 'bots think it's a cause for celebration.

Sad.

It's why we make fun of you. You don't realize what they are doing. You don't recognize true evil when it is waved in front of your face. You people need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Putten the SIN ”

back in Wisconsin

#6595 Dec 5, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to ask your opinion about this response that I have gotten on another forum.(This is for Rhill as well)
"By some random quantum events I assume they are referring to measurement outcomes on quantum systems. These are not known to be truly random. Whether or not they call them random depends on their interpretation of quantum mechanics.
The measurement outcomes are effectively random to us, since we currently have no way of predicting them. Whether or not they are truly random is debatable, and an active area of current research.
It's like weather patterns were also considered random just 100 years ago, it turns out that they are not. Certain conditions cause certain outcomes whether we make the connections or not.
As far as a higher conciseness, lets just say that if you were out in the desert and found a giant indescribable piece of machinery that you'd never seen before much less knew how to operate would you just assume it was there by chance? That it wasnt designed by someone with a fairly high level of consciousness or that it was designed without purpose? Even if you didnt know what that purpose was it would be fairly obvious that it didnt just get there on it's own. The universe is also giant piece of machinery. Not just the universe, but the microcosmic universe as well. From the smallest particle to the largest black hole the universe is a vast machine that works like clockwork right down to the most intimate detail.
There is one universal truth that applies to all things, that truth being cause and effect. You cant have one without the other in every aspect of existence. Nothing is random whether we understand the cause or not. That being the case,then to say that there is not some design behind the universe is akin to finding that giant piece of machinery in the desert and not believing as in the case with atheists that someone or something put it or left it there.
I dont go for the popular explanations such as religion would have us do, but I do suspect that all this chit here...was done by something smart."
The person who wrote this response wasn't a xtain, but one of the people who subscribe to the vague theory of a "higher power."
This is nothing more than another reworking of the watch make argument. It fails because it equivocates things we know and can show are *made* and *designed* with things we know are natural.

If I take someone to a river where a whirl pool formed, then I plop a washing machine next to them, and then ask 'guess which one has a AWESOME warranty on it??' Im not going to have to wait long for an answer.

I find it a very strange argument to try and present and defend to anybody.

“Putten the SIN ”

back in Wisconsin

#6596 Dec 5, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to ask your opinion about this response that I have gotten on another forum.(This is for Rhill as well)
"By some random quantum events I assume they are referring to measurement outcomes on quantum systems. These are not known to be truly random. Whether or not they call them random depends on their interpretation of quantum mechanics.
The measurement outcomes are effectively random to us, since we currently have no way of predicting them. Whether or not they are truly random is debatable, and an active area of current research.
It's like weather patterns were also considered random just 100 years ago, it turns out that they are not. Certain conditions cause certain outcomes whether we make the connections or not.
As far as a higher conciseness, lets just say that if you were out in the desert and found a giant indescribable piece of machinery that you'd never seen before much less knew how to operate would you just assume it was there by chance? That it wasnt designed by someone with a fairly high level of consciousness or that it was designed without purpose? Even if you didnt know what that purpose was it would be fairly obvious that it didnt just get there on it's own. The universe is also giant piece of machinery. Not just the universe, but the microcosmic universe as well. From the smallest particle to the largest black hole the universe is a vast machine that works like clockwork right down to the most intimate detail.
There is one universal truth that applies to all things, that truth being cause and effect. You cant have one without the other in every aspect of existence. Nothing is random whether we understand the cause or not. That being the case,then to say that there is not some design behind the universe is akin to finding that giant piece of machinery in the desert and not believing as in the case with atheists that someone or something put it or left it there.
I dont go for the popular explanations such as religion would have us do, but I do suspect that all this chit here...was done by something smart."
The person who wrote this response wasn't a xtain, but one of the people who subscribe to the vague theory of a "higher power."
I should say the second part is the watchmaker argument. The first part is an interesting topic, are things really random and what constitutes as 'random'.
Blackie123

Rialto, CA

#6597 Apr 26, 2014
STEPHMAR wrote:
ALL atheists are narrow minded.They all base their beliefs upon science.Of course they conveniently forget:"Science without Religion is lame."
I'm not an atheist I'm an agnostic. But I'm not moved or conviced by religion. You claim that all atheist or non-believers base the beliefs in science. Let me tell you I was a christian for most of my life. And science was not what converted me. It was logic and a search for truth. As I was trying to determine as a young man how I going to live my life as an adult. I analyzed my beliefs and realized I'm just picking a choosing, I'm not doing what God is asking. And then I came to the understanding that it is just a book. Where is the proof? How can I justifty this to non believers? How can I proof this to them. I can't.

Another thing. Why was I so blessed to be a Christian. What about everyone else that had a different religion. See it's not like there is just christinity and atheism. There are literally thousands. So I go to a heavenly paradise that we have never seen. And all the non-believers and followers of puedo-religions go to burning hell? Forever! See you can't just think about you or what is relative to you. You have to think about everyone's relationship to the religion and look at it objectively. Because everyone is suppose to follow it, right?

And if God has a plan why pray? What is the point? If Devine intervention is true then where in the hell is are freewill. Cause it would not be on earth if God transcends his supernatural powers down to interact with our realm. And with God's omniscience, he obtains all the knowledge there is to have. So he knows who is going to hell and heaven. Just like Santa knows who is naughty or nice. So tell me what is the point of life? I can tell you. There is none. Either way you look at it cause your destiny is know. And if you're wrong and it is not then there still is not point cause you just die. We make are own points and purpose.

You can't say it's to treat others kind and lead a good life because ultimately that does not matter. What matters is if you believe in Jesus and his father and that he died on the cross. In other words do as you wish because what binds your name into the book of life is belief, right? The one thing that is hardest to proof. That something that is out there above are sense of perseption, God and his son. But everything of these world means nothing in the long run right? Cause why do you want to gain the world and lose a soul that we've never seen.

I didn't need science to tell me anything concerning this matter. I just used my brain and thought about truth and what makes sense. Not was just feels good, or what I want to be correct. Truth and sense started to matter more.

I know it is hard and could be daunting thinking about the existence of God and religion. Especially if you followed and believed your whole life. But is liberating to know all of the superstitions and silly ristrictions are next to nonscence.

Questioning my faith came when I was a child. I just was taught not to play with God or question God so Iearned to stop. But a lot of stuff didn't make sense and I just didn't question it out of fear and I thought well, it makes sense that god could exist. Which I still believe is highly possible. But What I don't believe is all the hocus pocus in the books and I don't see how organized religion makes sense with the abuantant about of contridictions it has.

Also when how can you distinguish the difference between a miricle and a nature occurrence? And what about when god speaks to you vs your conscience?

Think about

There is so many more but I have said enough.

I respect people's religion but I just no longer subscribe. And I just used rational though to come to my conclusion. I didn't go dig up bones or rely on a book.

Have a good day, enjoy your life and be the best person you can.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6598 Apr 26, 2014
gotnatas wrote:
<quoted text>
I should say the second part is the watchmaker argument. The first part is an interesting topic, are things really random and what constitutes as 'random'.
As for the cause and effect argument?

Modern studies of quantum mechanics has tossed *that* out the window too.

The *macro* effects of all those billions of quantum-level effects piling up and averaging out, do appear to generate cause and effect phenomena.

But at the quantum mechanical level? There is no cause and effect. At least none that we've detected presently.

And none of the modern, highly-proven theories allow for it either.

Apparently, at the most basic level, our universe is not base on cause and effect at all.

Which pretty much entirely eliminates the need for a Prime Mover.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6599 Apr 26, 2014
Blackie123 wrote:
<quoted text> I'm not an atheist I'm an agnostic. But I'm not moved or conviced by religion. You claim that all atheist or non-believers base the beliefs in science. Let me tell you I was a christian for most of my life. And science was not what converted me. It was logic and a search for truth. As I was trying to determine as a young man how I going to live my life as an adult. I analyzed my beliefs and realized I'm just picking a choosing, I'm not doing what God is asking. And then I came to the understanding that it is just a book. Where is the proof? How can I justifty this to non believers? How can I proof this to them. I can't.
Another thing. Why was I so blessed to be a Christian. What about everyone else that had a different religion. See it's not like there is just christinity and atheism. There are literally thousands. So I go to a heavenly paradise that we have never seen. And all the non-believers and followers of puedo-religions go to burning hell? Forever! See you can't just think about you or what is relative to you. You have to think about everyone's relationship to the religion and look at it objectively. Because everyone is suppose to follow it, right?
And if God has a plan why pray? What is the point? If Devine intervention is true then where in the hell is are freewill. Cause it would not be on earth if God transcends his supernatural powers down to interact with our realm. And with God's omniscience, he obtains all the knowledge there is to have. So he knows who is going to hell and heaven. Just like Santa knows who is naughty or nice. So tell me what is the point of life? I can tell you. There is none. Either way you look at it cause your destiny is know. And if you're wrong and it is not then there still is not point cause you just die. We make are own points and purpose.
You can't say it's to treat others kind and lead a good life because ultimately that does not matter. What matters is if you believe in Jesus and his father and that he died on the cross. In other words do as you wish because what binds your name into the book of life is belief, right? The one thing that is hardest to proof. That something that is out there above are sense of perseption, God and his son. But everything of these world means nothing in the long run right? Cause why do you want to gain the world and lose a soul that we've never seen.
I didn't need science to tell me anything concerning this matter. I just used my brain and thought about truth and what makes sense. Not was just feels good, or what I want to be correct. Truth and sense started to matter more.
I know it is hard and could be daunting thinking about the existence of God and religion. Especially if you followed and believed your whole life. But is liberating to know all of the superstitions and silly ristrictions are next to nonscence.
Questioning my faith came when I was a child. I just was taught not to play with God or question God so Iearned to stop. But a lot of stuff didn't make sense and I just didn't question it out of fear and I thought well, it makes sense that god could exist. Which I still believe is highly possible. But What I don't believe is all the hocus pocus in the books and I don't see how organized religion makes sense with the abuantant about of contridictions it has.
Also when how can you distinguish the difference between a miricle and a nature occurrence? And what about when god speaks to you vs your conscience?
Think about
I respect people's religion but I just no longer subscribe. And I just used rational though to come to my conclusion. I didn't go dig up bones or rely on a book.
Well said, well written and well argued.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#6600 Apr 28, 2014
Atheists have always walked this Earth. We survived the Sumerian 'gods' the Egyptian 'gods' the Hindu 'gods the Jewish 'gods' the Roman 'gods' and the whole host of twisted offshoots calling for our murder for speaking the truth - the Emperor has no clothes - gods don't exist - it's all mental illness and tricks to control and exploit people.

From the Egyptian priests who tried to murder Hero of Alexandria for exposing their miracles with science though the Christians of the Dark Ages to the Muslims of today - no religion delivered flight, electricity or even air conditioning - it was all science.

You don't pray your words to other people - you use the internet - invented, designed built and maintained largely by atheists.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#6601 Apr 28, 2014
Blackie123 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not an atheist I'm an agnostic. But I'm not moved or conviced by religion. You claim that all atheist or non-believers base the beliefs in science. Let me tell you I was a christian for most of my life. And science was not what converted me. It was logic and a search for truth. As I was trying to determine as a young man how I going to live my life as an adult. I analyzed my beliefs and realized I'm just picking a choosing, I'm not doing what God is asking. And then I came to the understanding that it is just a book. Where is the proof? How can I justifty this to non believers? How can I proof this to them. I can't.

Think about

I completely agree!

“I'm out hunting”

Since: Jan 10

For your mind and soul

#6602 Apr 28, 2014
Blackie123 wrote:
<quoted text> I'm not an atheist I'm an agnostic. But I'm not moved or conviced by religion. You claim that all atheist or non-believers base the beliefs in science. Let me tell you I was a christian for most of my life. And science was not what converted me. It was logic and a search for truth. As I was trying to determine as a young man how I going to live my life as an adult. I analyzed my beliefs and realized I'm just picking a choosing, I'm not doing what God is asking. And then I came to the understanding that it is just a book. Where is the proof? How can I justifty this to non believers? How can I proof this to them. I can't.
Think about
Very well spoken. The idea that other people are going to hell just for not believing is the worst part.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#6603 May 8, 2014
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Very well spoken. The idea that other people are going to hell just for not believing is the worst part.
The idea that people are to be rewarded (with heaven) regardless their immorality, simply because they "believe" --- is by far the worst concept in the bunch.

christianity = xenophobia, paranoia and hate

god bless

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#6604 May 8, 2014
tribalism at it's worst
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#6606 Sep 1, 2014
special atheist gibbs wrote:
Atheist laugh at the bible thumpers .But the thumpers have killed more people in the name of religion and their invisible man in the sky.
Hitlers war was the worst. And you guys think just like him.
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#6607 Sep 1, 2014
tampabayallstar wrote:
I actually think its hilarious when adults quote scripture. They are every bit as ridiculous to me as the thirty somethings that wear their pants below their underwear lmao.
You should not kill.
You should not commit adultery.
You should not steal.
You should not lie.
Thinking

Sidmouth, UK

#6608 Sep 2, 2014
You should not spam.
James wrote:
<quoted text>
You should not kill.
You should not steal.
You should not lie.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#6609 Sep 2, 2014
James wrote:
<quoted text>
You should not kill.
You should not steal.
You should not lie.
Thou shalt not kill.

From what I've heard, that's a mistranslation of

Thou shalt not murder.

To me, there's a big difference between kill and murder.

But to fundamentalist Christians, that's a trivial thing.

After all, you can disregard the 10 commandments as long as you say it's for Jesus.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Confessions of a black atheist 10 min Jefferson 294
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 47 min Pahu 1,980
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 48 min Dogen 18,437
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr thetruth 237,668
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 12 hr thetruth 23
News The Consequences of Atheism 12 hr thetruth 1,249
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 13 hr thetruth 6,713
More from around the web