Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

There are 11901 comments on the Free Republic story from May 5, 2011, titled Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?. In it, Free Republic reports that:

'RELIGION SHOULD BE TREATED WITH RIDICULE, HATRED AND CONTEMPT' Atheism, or 'antitheism,' which was once considered taboo in America, has gone somewhat mainstream in today's society.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Free Republic.

Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#6526 Nov 28, 2013
siro changes gods a lot. Yet all are absent.
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Better than having a dead beat dad for a god.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#6527 Nov 28, 2013
I wonder how often this bottleneck happens in other societies: a species becomes bright enough to know it's living at the bottom of a gravity well but is incapable of doing very much about it.

If the christards hadn't inflicted 1000 years of Dark Age delays up on us, who knows how we would be travelling now.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Why show us the magnificent extent of the cosmos and then strand us on this fly speck?
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#6528 Nov 28, 2013
upon ^

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6529 Nov 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I wonder how often this bottleneck happens in other societies: a species becomes bright enough to know it's living at the bottom of a gravity well but is incapable of doing very much about it.

If the christards hadn't inflicted 1000 years of Dark Age delays up on us, who knows how we would be travelling now.
<quoted text>
The Greeks were well on their way to figuring out the Scientific Method of compensating for human bias in observational discovery.

Had the Christian-caused Dark Ages not happened?

We'd likely be terraforming Mars by now-- and taking a hard look at terrraforming Venus too.

Neither planet is outside the "goldilocks zone", and with some atmospheric management? Could be made habitable for humans.

We'd also likely have a thriving industry in space too, including harvesting the asteroids for materials (instead of dredging it up from earth).

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#6530 Nov 28, 2013
Or altering our nature to better suit other environments... bastard religitards.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
The Greeks were well on their way to figuring out the Scientific Method of compensating for human bias in observational discovery.
Had the Christian-caused Dark Ages not happened?
We'd likely be terraforming Mars by now-- and taking a hard look at terrraforming Venus too.
Neither planet is outside the "goldilocks zone", and with some atmospheric management? Could be made habitable for humans.
We'd also likely have a thriving industry in space too, including harvesting the asteroids for materials (instead of dredging it up from earth).
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#6532 Nov 28, 2013
Careful siro doesn't turn you into a frog.

http://www.topix.com/forum/who/occult/TNFCUVO...
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody gives a f*ck what ignorant cult you belong to, you proofless racist anti-semite.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6533 Nov 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Careful siro doesn't turn you into a frog.
http://www.topix.com/forum/who/occult/TNFCUVO...
<quoted text>
LMAO!!!

That is **hilarious**!

I knew he was a nutter, but I had no idea he was that batshit insane.

LOL!
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#6534 Nov 29, 2013
How much anger can one little failed magician get into one thread?
"Dawkins is an 8" ... siro is indeed batshit insane.
<quoted text>
LMAO!!!
That is **hilarious**!
I knew he was a nutter, but I had no idea he was that batshit insane.
LOL!

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#6535 Nov 29, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The Universe is an astral projection of the mind and imagination of God. It is limitless and ever expanding.
Sounds like your god needs to quit hitting the 'srooms.

Texas, USA

#6536 Nov 29, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you actually going to tell me the name of the cult I belong to Bad Boy Bubby?
It's still a cult even if you're the only member.

Texas, USA

#6537 Nov 29, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
So hard to estimate how many 'technological' civilizations are out there. We sort of have a 'duty' to survive and learn. I've read many hundreds of Sci-fi novels ... not one of them really described the 'future' we find ourselves living now. A thousand years hence is anybody's guess. I suspect, like Quantum Bob, that we would already be Terra-forming Mars and 'left footprints' all over the Solar System.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6538 Nov 29, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Or altering our nature to better suit other environments... bastard religitards.
<quoted text>
Yes, indeed-- why create complicated machines, when we could just as easily re-engineer our own bodies to suit?

I see adaptation to microgravity as one of the first such changes.

After all-- the universe has far more microgravity than it does what we call "normal" gravity.
Csiro

Saint Petersburg, Russia

#6539 Nov 30, 2013
Thinking wrote:
How much anger can one little failed magician get into one thread?
"Dawkins is an 8" ... siro is indeed batshit insane.
<quoted text>
Why dont you refer to anything in the correct context cuck?
Instead of picking bits and pieces of what ive written and applying them in your flaccid order?
Anyone who downloads my ebook "Creed of Assiah" will see everything in context and with explanation. You have not read the book, probably because your wife has you filming bedroom scenes because you are sooooooooooo flaccid.

btw.... since your dummy spit to the admins and your anti Siro activity which seems to take up so much of your time, how come Skeptic has disappeared?
Or do you just have no time whatsoever to do that sock too?
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#6540 Nov 30, 2013
Stephen Baxter's well worth a read on this sort of subject. Characterisation sometimes could be better but the scale of the ideas are great.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
So hard to estimate how many 'technological' civilizations are out there. We sort of have a 'duty' to survive and learn. I've read many hundreds of Sci-fi novels ... not one of them really described the 'future' we find ourselves living now. A thousand years hence is anybody's guess. I suspect, like Quantum Bob, that we would already be Terra-forming Mars and 'left footprints' all over the Solar System.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#6541 Nov 30, 2013
I was just mentioning Stephen Baxter's stories to RHill. One of the Earth species altered to deal with microgravity are squid based intelligences with lifespans similar to ours. They don't atrophy in their balls of water enclosed in small ships out in the Kuiper belt.
<quoted text>
Yes, indeed-- why create complicated machines, when we could just as easily re-engineer our own bodies to suit?
I see adaptation to microgravity as one of the first such changes.
After all-- the universe has far more microgravity than it does what we call "normal" gravity.
Josephus Vanity Press

United States

#6542 Nov 30, 2013
Christians need to learn to laugh at themselves.

For example:

A great flood has hit the valley. Farmer Jones, a devout servant of the lord, watches as the river rises over the banks.

Soon the river overflows and rapidly reaches the steps of the house.

Water starts to creep in under the door, the river is roaring like a freight train, and farmer Jones becomes concerned. He gets down on his knees with sweat on his wrinkled brow and prays to be saved.

Just then a man in a rowboat comes by and says "Jump in! I will take you to higher ground"

Farmer Jones says "No thanks, I'm waiting on the Lord".

The water is rising fast, it's above the kitchen table he is standing on when another rowboat comes by and urges him to jump in. But again he says "No thanks, I'm waiting on the Lord".

Now the water is really high! Farmer Jones is standing on the roof wondering when the lord is going to save him when all of a sudden a big helicopter comes out of the clouds and urges him to quickly climb aboard as the dam is about to break.

Again Farmer Jones says "No thanks, I'm waiting on the Lord".

Well, the dam broke and a great wall of water fifty feet high came racing right at him!

Of course he drowned.

The next thing he knew he was face to face with God.

He asked God, "why didn't you rescue me?"

God said "What do you want from me? I sent you two rowboats and a helicopter!"

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6543 Nov 30, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I was just mentioning Stephen Baxter's stories to RHill. One of the Earth species altered to deal with microgravity are squid based intelligences with lifespans similar to ours. They don't atrophy in their balls of water enclosed in small ships out in the Kuiper belt.
<quoted text>
Interesting. And being fully enclosed, they'd take high accelerations better as well.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Texas, USA

#6544 Dec 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Stephen Baxter's well worth a read on this sort of subject. Characterisation sometimes could be better but the scale of the ideas are great.
<quoted text>
Would have sworn I read some of his work but a quick perusal of his web site proves me wrong. Interesting stuff. I kind of hate to admit that reading has become something of a chore, rather than the joy it once was. Even e-books, with their variable fonts, don't seem as immersive as more traditional media. The "Flood" and "Ark" novels look particularly interesting and topical. I love a good 'end of the world as we know it' read. The Bible is a poorly written example of that genre ... kind of ironic.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#6545 Dec 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Interesting. And being fully enclosed, they'd take high accelerations better as well.
I have to ask your opinion about this response that I have gotten on another forum.(This is for Rhill as well)

"By some random quantum events I assume they are referring to measurement outcomes on quantum systems. These are not known to be truly random. Whether or not they call them random depends on their interpretation of quantum mechanics.
The measurement outcomes are effectively random to us, since we currently have no way of predicting them. Whether or not they are truly random is debatable, and an active area of current research.
It's like weather patterns were also considered random just 100 years ago, it turns out that they are not. Certain conditions cause certain outcomes whether we make the connections or not.
As far as a higher conciseness, lets just say that if you were out in the desert and found a giant indescribable piece of machinery that you'd never seen before much less knew how to operate would you just assume it was there by chance? That it wasnt designed by someone with a fairly high level of consciousness or that it was designed without purpose? Even if you didnt know what that purpose was it would be fairly obvious that it didnt just get there on it's own. The universe is also giant piece of machinery. Not just the universe, but the microcosmic universe as well. From the smallest particle to the largest black hole the universe is a vast machine that works like clockwork right down to the most intimate detail.
There is one universal truth that applies to all things, that truth being cause and effect. You cant have one without the other in every aspect of existence. Nothing is random whether we understand the cause or not. That being the case,then to say that there is not some design behind the universe is akin to finding that giant piece of machinery in the desert and not believing as in the case with atheists that someone or something put it or left it there.
I dont go for the popular explanations such as religion would have us do, but I do suspect that all this chit here...was done by something smart."

The person who wrote this response wasn't a xtain, but one of the people who subscribe to the vague theory of a "higher power."

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#6546 Dec 1, 2013
Baxter's Ring books are amazing in their scope, covering hundreds of thousands of future history. The Xeelee and Destiny's Child sequences are the best. Some of it is up there with Iain M. Banks' Culture books. Titan is very good too.

Another really good author is Alastair Reynolds. Revelation Space, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap are superb.

Both authors are scientists, the former trained to be an astronaut but never got a gig so wrote about it instead.

I love these books but I know they are fiction. Scripture believers take note!
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Would have sworn I read some of his work but a quick perusal of his web site proves me wrong. Interesting stuff. I kind of hate to admit that reading has become something of a chore, rather than the joy it once was. Even e-books, with their variable fonts, don't seem as immersive as more traditional media. The "Flood" and "Ark" novels look particularly interesting and topical. I love a good 'end of the world as we know it' read. The Bible is a poorly written example of that genre ... kind of ironic.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 min Eagle 12 - 79,887
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 3 hr Eagle 12 - 58
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 21 hr Eagle 12 - 32,581
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 23 hr The pope 258,485
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Sep 16 blacklagoon 3 91
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Sep 15 xfrodobagginsx 101
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
More from around the web