Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

There are 8134 comments on the Free Republic story from May 5, 2011, titled Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?. In it, Free Republic reports that:

'RELIGION SHOULD BE TREATED WITH RIDICULE, HATRED AND CONTEMPT' Atheism, or 'antitheism,' which was once considered taboo in America, has gone somewhat mainstream in today's society.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Free Republic.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6502 Nov 26, 2013
swerty wrote:
http://www.stevepavlina.com/bl og/2008/05/10-reasons-you-shou ld-never-have-a-religion/
Interesting article.

And it nails many of the worst points that religion has.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6503 Nov 26, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Define God
Then define what you accept as proof
I would accept as proof?

You-- turning around and being an actual nice person.

Alas, that is too much for you, isn't it?

LMAO!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6504 Nov 26, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
There's certainly no reason to change, no matter what ya call it. Even if some being presented itself that met all the Hollywood criteria for godhood, I think most of us would just be trying to communicate with it, not falling on our knees and worshiping it. Technically, I guess, a #7 Atheist is not being completely reasonable, at least not within the confines of 'proper logical debate' or something. Non-believer works for me!

There's certainly lots of natural phenomenon grand and terrible to behold ... there just doesn't seem to be any connection between those phenomenon and ourselves. The ancients perceived (incorrectly) such connections and founded 'religion' around trying to control the god-being's wrath. It didn't work. They're all dead. Their bones are as dust and their civilizations are in ruin. The remarkable thing is that, despite the clarity of this lesson, religion persists. I'm really not sure how much more 'evidence' people would need of God's non-existence.
Religion is kind of like the old, now-discredited phlogiston theory of heat. Or better still-- it's akin to the old pseudo-medical practice of bleeding a person to "remove the ill humors".

So long as nobody looks closely, or measures anything?

Things appear to work as promised.

But science was born the first time someone figured out how to introduce objectivity, by **measurements** using an objective, external standard.

And religion, as with phlogiston and bleeding? Does not survive the measuring process.

At all.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6505 Nov 26, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate to break in, but for one thing if there was a 'God' there would be no 'my idea may be different from yours'... his nature, presence and participation in everyday events would be unmistakeable and universal. No 'proof' would be necessary ... very clear 'miracles' would be happening all the time ... planes would never crash, ships would never go aground, diseases would spontaneously disappear, oceans would routinely part allowing this or that prophet to wander across without getting their feet wet. There'd be places we could go and get our 'fortunes told' and it would always come true. There'd be no random stuff, everything would have a purpose ... gambling would not exist. The world would be an astoundingly different place ... no famines, no wars, no pain.
The World isn't like that. Not even a little bit. Further 'evidence' of your (or Nano's or Susan's or whoever's) god simply not existing. We are at the mercy of forces that are, perhaps, beyond our control but not beyond our understanding. We have that going for us and so far, it's worked out pretty well.
Indeed.

And even better? No little kids would ever be raped by "men of god"-- the gods in question would stop that, and strike-dead the would-be child rapists.

Nor would we ever see those hideous parasitic worms which feast on the eyeballs of small children in areas where sanitation does not exist.

For that matter?

We'd not see starving babies either...
Siro

Brisbane, Australia

#6506 Nov 27, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate to break in, but for one thing if there was a 'God' there would be no 'my idea may be different from yours'... his nature, presence and participation in everyday events would be unmistakeable and universal. No 'proof' would be necessary ... very clear 'miracles' would be happening all the time ... planes would never crash, ships would never go aground, diseases would spontaneously disappear, oceans would routinely part allowing this or that prophet to wander across without getting their feet wet. There'd be places we could go and get our 'fortunes told' and it would always come true. There'd be no random stuff, everything would have a purpose ... gambling would not exist. The world would be an astoundingly different place ... no famines, no wars, no pain.
The World isn't like that. Not even a little bit. Further 'evidence' of your (or Nano's or Susan's or whoever's) god simply not existing. We are at the mercy of forces that are, perhaps, beyond our control but not beyond our understanding. We have that going for us and so far, it's worked out pretty well.
Sounds like you expect God to be a servant and you wish to live in a nanny state.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#6507 Nov 27, 2013
That's the problem with the word Atheist. It covers 7 and 6, and 7 is not a scientific position.

Dawkins is a real scientist. When his bones are dust, along with all the non believers on Topix, Dawkins peer reviewed papers from the 70s to the present day will have achieved a genuine afterlife.

Dawkins has had no influence on my belief. I left christianity long before I knew of Dawkins. But he certainly gets under believer's skins.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
There's certainly no reason to change, no matter what ya call it. Even if some being presented itself that met all the Hollywood criteria for godhood, I think most of us would just be trying to communicate with it, not falling on our knees and worshiping it. Technically, I guess, a #7 Atheist is not being completely reasonable, at least not within the confines of 'proper logical debate' or something. Non-believer works for me!
There's certainly lots of natural phenomenon grand and terrible to behold ... there just doesn't seem to be any connection between those phenomenon and ourselves. The ancients perceived (incorrectly) such connections and founded 'religion' around trying to control the god-being's wrath. It didn't work. They're all dead. Their bones are as dust and their civilizations are in ruin. The remarkable thing is that, despite the clarity of this lesson, religion persists. I'm really not sure how much more 'evidence' people would need of God's non-existence.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#6508 Nov 27, 2013
siro's too dumb to understand that an all powerful god would probably give the second law of thermodynamics a miss. Why build a universe that needs cleaning? How imperfect.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Siro

Brisbane, Australia

#6509 Nov 27, 2013
Thinking wrote:
siro's too dumb to understand that an all powerful god would probably give the second law of thermodynamics a miss. Why build a universe that needs cleaning? How imperfect.
<quoted text>
Maybe you would care to tell us the physical measurements and dimensions of the entire universe?

You may say to me...'science is your friend'
I say to you....'cyanide is your friend'

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LCNLin

United States

#6510 Nov 27, 2013
Thinking wrote:
That's the problem with the word Atheist. It covers 7 and 6, and 7 is not a scientific position.
Dawkins is a real scientist. When his bones are dust, along with all the non believers on Topix, Dawkins peer reviewed papers from the 70s to the present day will have achieved a genuine afterlife.
Dawkins has had no influence on my belief. I left christianity long before I knew of Dawkins. But he certainly gets under believer's skins.
<quoted text>
LOL

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6511 Nov 27, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you expect God to be a servant and you wish to live in a nanny state.
But you? You worship a god who not only allows babies to be raped by men who represents him/it?

You think that this monster-god is actually.... good.

Wow.

“The Abrahamic God”

Since: Jan 10

is a serial murderer

#6513 Nov 27, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Better than having a dead beat dad for a god.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#6514 Nov 27, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you would care to tell us the physical measurements and dimensions of the entire universe?
"The size of the Universe is unknown; it may be infinite. The region visible from Earth (the observable universe) is a sphere with a radius of about 46 billion light years, based on where the expansion of space has taken the most distant objects observed." < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe> ;

Texas, USA

#6515 Nov 27, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Big negatory on the "nanny state" and God is behaving exactly the way I would expect something that doesn't exist to behave. If he DID exist, yes ... I would expect there to be clear, daily and unmistakeable indications of his participation.

Texas, USA

#6516 Nov 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed.
And even better? No little kids would ever be raped by "men of god"-- the gods in question would stop that, and strike-dead the would-be child rapists.
Nor would we ever see those hideous parasitic worms which feast on the eyeballs of small children in areas where sanitation does not exist.
For that matter?
We'd not see starving babies either...
The list could go on and on.

Texas, USA

#6517 Nov 27, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Why show us the magnificent extent of the cosmos and then strand us on this fly speck?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6518 Nov 27, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
The list could go on and on.
Indeed.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#6519 Nov 27, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Strange how our launching of probes to other planets hasn't broken holes in the firmament above and unleash another flood of Noah proportions.

Or maybe it did.

The Waters of Heaven have been trickling in undetected and causing the ocean levels to rise!

Let us all pray and offer sacrifices of duct tape so the angels may patch those holes. Until God can find a good contractor to fix the damage to his hamster habitat...

Siro

Brisbane, Australia

#6520 Nov 27, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Strange how our launching of probes to other planets hasn't broken holes in the firmament above and unleash another flood of Noah proportions.
Or maybe it did.
The Waters of Heaven have been trickling in undetected and causing the ocean levels to rise!
Let us all pray and offer sacrifices of duct tape so the angels may patch those holes. Until God can find a good contractor to fix the damage to his hamster habitat...
Is that the best you can do?
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#6521 Nov 28, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
"The size of the Universe is unknown; it may be infinite. The region visible from Earth (the observable universe) is a sphere with a radius of about 46 billion light years, based on where the expansion of space has taken the most distant objects observed." < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe> ;
The Universe is an astral projection of the mind and imagination of God. It is limitless and ever expanding.
Siro

Brisbane, Australia

#6525 Nov 28, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Coming from a cult liar with no proof of god to speak of!! shame on you for being so dishonest. Your cult taught you nothing worthwhile.
Are you actually going to tell me the name of the cult I belong to Bad Boy Bubby?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 42 min Hidingfromyou 253,417
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Chimney1 27,315
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 1 hr Frank Merton 3,998
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Eagle 12 6,054
News Atheism has no moral dimension 4 hr Eagle 12 153
Morality is Subjective Without God 6 hr Eagle 12 58
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 9 hr 4 leaf clover 18,828
More from around the web