Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

May 5, 2011 Full story: Free Republic 6,082

'RELIGION SHOULD BE TREATED WITH RIDICULE, HATRED AND CONTEMPT' Atheism, or 'antitheism,' which was once considered taboo in America, has gone somewhat mainstream in today's society.

Read more

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#6436 Nov 23, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Keep trying to quote me out of context, dimwad. It's not like anyone can't go back and read my original post and see what you're doing.
Only an idiot would not have understood that to mean that I didn't feel it was my place to correct her about what "fate" meant. I didn't want her to feel like I was "educating" her. I left it alone out of respect.
What an odd post.

I was replying to virtuanna.

So how is it that you are countering in the first person as if I was replying to you?

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#6437 Nov 23, 2013

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#6438 Nov 24, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
What an odd post.
I was replying to virtuanna.
So how is it that you are countering in the first person as if I was replying to you?
It's not odd at all, you just missed the post where I said who I was and why I hadn't signed in.
Siro

Sydney, Australia

#6439 Nov 24, 2013
gotnatas wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism pertains to belief, agnosticism pertains to knowledge,and both are not mutually exclusive.
Hell you can even be an agnostic theist.
Agnostic means you dont know whether or not God exists....correct?
Theist means you believe in God
Atheist means you dont believe in God
Calling yourself an agnostic theist or agnostic atheist is the same as saying 'I dont know if I like chocolate but I eat it anyway'
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#6440 Nov 24, 2013
Religion = superstition
It's nothing but trouble these days.
LCNLin

United States

#6441 Nov 24, 2013
EdSed wrote:
Religion = superstition
It's nothing but trouble these days.
simplistic but memorable?
Agnostic seem a more thoughtful position... but many disagree.

“Putten the SIN ”

Since: Nov 08

back in Wisconsin

#6442 Nov 24, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of my friends are atheists or agnostics, none are atheist evangelistic trolls.
Those addicted to Evangelistic Atheist Syndrome, which ridicules, mocks, scorns and satirizes the idea of the existence of a deity or deities seem an amusing study in illogic.
This literally made me laugh at the irony of trolling and study of "illogic" lol Since this post is a non sequitur from what I stated in my post ie, a definition correction. Then ya got all butt hurt and trolled my comment with your projected anger and hatred lol.

I get it. It angers and scares you when someone questions your beliefs no matter how benign.

You might want to work on some introspection.
LCNLin

United States

#6443 Nov 24, 2013
gotnatas wrote:
<quoted text>
This literally made me laugh at the irony of trolling and study of "illogic" lol Since this post is a non sequitur from what I stated in my post ie, a definition correction. Then ya got all butt hurt and trolled my comment with your projected anger and hatred lol.
I get it. It angers and scares you when someone questions your beliefs no matter how benign.
You might want to work on some introspection.
Amusing as atheists seem to be, and defensive, Agnostics make a bit more sense.

Scratch an atheist and out pops and agnostic...just ask Dawkins?

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#6444 Nov 24, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
simplistic but memorable?
Agnostic seem a more thoughtful position... but many disagree.
I disagree because there is no reason at all to consider god's existence. Any god's.
What's more thoughtful?
Saying, "Zeus is a mythical figure.", or "Maybe Zeus exists, we don't really know."?

“Putten the SIN ”

back in Wisconsin

#6445 Nov 24, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Agnostic means you dont know whether or not God exists....correct?
Theist means you believe in God
Atheist means you dont believe in God
Calling yourself an agnostic theist or agnostic atheist is the same as saying 'I dont know if I like chocolate but I eat it anyway'
No. Agnostic and gnostic pertains to if you can have knowledge of a god. You have theists who believe there is a god but nothing can be known about it(gnostic), but mostly we have theists who think we have knowledge of a particular god.

As pertaining to agnostic it would be more like 'dont know anything about chocolate'.

Most agnostics are weak Atheists because if you ask them if a particular god exists they'll say no, but they'll say its possible for a god to exist.

I should wright a book 'fun with semantics'.

“Putten the SIN ”

back in Wisconsin

#6446 Nov 24, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing as atheists seem to be, and defensive, Agnostics make a bit more sense.
Scratch an atheist and out pops and agnostic...just ask Dawkins?
Jesus Christ!! Do you get things this backwards in other parts of your life lol. If you could somehow parlay that skill into a job you could be making bank lol
LCNLin

United States

#6447 Nov 24, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree because there is no reason at all to consider god's existence. Any god's.
What's more thoughtful?
Saying, "Zeus is a mythical figure.", or "Maybe Zeus exists, we don't really know."?
An Evangelical Atheist, often an individual who is actually egocentric enough to believe that they can disprove god's existence.

Evangelical atheists harbour intense resentment for all religious organizations but reserve most of their bile for those who dare to publicly question
"the age old atheist philosophy".

Best read with amusement and laughter :-)

Santa Monica, CA

#6450 Nov 24, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
An Evangelical Atheist, often an individual who is actually egocentric enough to believe that they can disprove god's existence.
Evangelical atheists harbour intense resentment for all religious organizations but reserve most of their bile for those who dare to publicly question
So, what's your evidence of god's existence?
:::crickets chirping:::
Well, since you don't have any evidence at all god exists, why should anybody even consider his existence?

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#6451 Nov 24, 2013
Leave the mythology behind, and learn to think for yourself. Your intellect is a better instrument of spiritual growth than any religious teachings.
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>It's not odd at all, you just missed the post where I said who I was and why I hadn't signed in.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#6452 Nov 25, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>An Evangelical Atheist, often an individual who is actually egocentric enough to believe that they can disprove god's existence.

Which one is the better phrase?...I'm interested to see your response.
Siro

Sydney, Australia

#6453 Nov 25, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
So, what's your evidence of god's existence?
Well, since you don't have any evidence at all god exists, why should anybody even consider his existence?
Cause and effect, synchronicity, how about those for starters...

North Hollywood, CA

#6454 Nov 25, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I was asking for evidence for god's existence.

“Putten the SIN ”

back in Wisconsin

#6455 Nov 25, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Broaaaaaad terms are evidence for a god...

Hell if thats the case Ive got tons of things I can prove lol.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Texas, USA

#6456 Nov 25, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I see you find it impossible to stray from the script of mockery and abuse of any and all Topix visitors who aren't your ideology clone.:P
Pig.
Much like the mountain nymph Echo, I love the wild and many of my nocturnal dreams involve me...running, from one scary dude or another.
I'm sure you probably haven't been "wooed" by anybody, jerk. I was simply pointing out the diversions that both sexes use while involved in the game seduction. Women do the clothes and makeup thing and guys do the nice car ploy, since makeup and lace doesn't usually attract females to them.
Where do you get the idea that any woman would try to buy your affection with the offer of a car? That's what guys do.
Like any self respecting female would offer a man a car in return for affection/time.
I'm sure you get "odd" looks all the time, whether you say stupid crap or not.
Oink! I guess your diurnal dreams must be real doozies! We're just from different worlds ... "scary dudes" offering cars for sex (or forgiveness) and high powered "mood altering drugs" (the kind like what you get at them institutes). Pretty rare out this side of Bug Tussle. Had to read up on 'Echo the Mountain Nymph'... interesting that you would identify with her. I can see where you and reality must brush together, but never really hook up.

I guess I can quit cleaning out the garage. I was once 'wooed' by a woman who made mighty fine cheeseburgers, but managed to break that Satan's spell and escape with what passes for my soul intact. The only difference between cheeseburgers and automobiles is one of degree. What my wife of 30 odd years offered was simply an end to loneliness. It sufficed. The 'stoney heart' thing was inspired by her though ... she often has to dredge up wrongs from decades past. Never forgive, never forget is her motto whereas I'm kind of a 'every day is a new day' sort of person. Oh well, they say opposites attract.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Texas, USA

#6457 Nov 25, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Calling all Christians "christards", "godbots" and "fundietards" is not quoting "platitudes".
There's a HUGE difference between proudly proclaiming an atheistic ideology on FB and using the web to verbally abuse everybody who isn't an atheist.
This is the U.S. not Iran. Bob proves with his abusive comments that he would deny fellow citizens the right to think as they please...if he legally could. He approves of Sam Harris and Dawkin's mind control agenda. That's evil.
Bob "proves with his abusive comments" that this is the U.S. and not Iran. No way Bob, or any other decent Atheist, would dream of denying, controlling, stunting or misdirecting a fellow citizen's right to think as they please. That's kind of what 'Free Thinking' as an ideology is all about. It is, in fact, sort of the OPPOSITE OF RELIGION, which strives to keep 'every head bowed, every eye closed' as legions of Christian Soldiers march boldly off to war. There is simply no more descriptive term for these folks than 'godbots'. They have drank the Koolaid, they have memorized the pertinent scriptures and they have traded their grip on reality for a ride on the 'I'm gonna get an eternal life in Wonderland' choo-choo train. That's all well and good BUT ... they come to a place called the ATHEIST FORUM to do battle and a battle is what they gonna get and SISTA! If we can save EVEN ONE of them funny little religitards ... then it's worth it. Do you really think any of us soft spoken, even tempered, well read, book learned, men and women of the Atheist Kind even WANT to used words like 'religitard' or 'fundietards'?!?!? No, we don't. I must confess that I am rather fond of 'godbot' but like I said ... that shoe fits a little too well. Bob has his-self apologized to the disabled by alluding that their disabilities might be akin or similar to the crushing, self-inflicted affliction of the religiously inclined and I ... ECHO his sentiments in that regard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 16 min Dogen 17,967
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 27 min polymath257 236,851
News The Consequences of Atheism 1 hr ChristineM 1,116
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr ChristineM 6,412
News Confessions of a black atheist 2 hr Savant 10
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 6 hr thetruth 9,243
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 10 hr DebraE 14,498
More from around the web