Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

There are 11901 comments on the Free Republic story from May 5, 2011, titled Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?. In it, Free Republic reports that:

'RELIGION SHOULD BE TREATED WITH RIDICULE, HATRED AND CONTEMPT' Atheism, or 'antitheism,' which was once considered taboo in America, has gone somewhat mainstream in today's society.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Free Republic.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5949 Nov 4, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You agree with, "No other person, or group of persons owns your life. Nor do you own the lives of others."? Somehow I doubt that.
I don't think it's reality, but a worthy goal? Yes. It would seem the ultimate expression of the "I'm okay, you're okay", "Don't tread on me", "Live free or die" Idealism that Mankind has always been groping for. As for one's children ... society has established a pretty well defined 'ownership' period. Even so, can you say your really "own" a thing unless you are free to destroy it? I'm not sure. Religion seems to grant us this power, but in the truly enlightened society we all dream about, not so much. Of course, I am not advocating or desiring to harm mine or anyone's child, but are we not 'destroying' a child's natural inclinations as we rear them? Do we have the right to program them with our various preconceptions, religious or otherwise? Probably not. To grant them the 'freedom from ownership' we apparently desire will take a serious re-evaluation of how we raise our children.

Of course, as we surrender our dignity and ambition in pursuit of various 'entitlements' we are essentially exchanging our 'ownership' to the government for these goods and services. Most do so desperately (if not enthusiastically) thus defining our reality as it exists.

Anyway ... off to work. I certainly don't 'own' my time.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#5950 Nov 4, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Laws. Laws had to be created by someone. A leader in one way or another. And if people don't obey those laws, they face consequences.
Exactly. Like taxes, licenses, permits do as you are told or get shot by hired thugs.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#5951 Nov 4, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>So you don't believe that we "own" our children?
You do get that the sentiments related in that video are mostly just fantasies of a utopia that does not exist, right?
It doesn't exist because people are afraid to be responsible for themselves.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#5952 Nov 4, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think it's reality, but a worthy goal? Yes. It would seem the ultimate expression of the "I'm okay, you're okay", "Don't tread on me", "Live free or die" Idealism that Mankind has always been groping for. As for one's children ... society has established a pretty well defined 'ownership' period. Even so, can you say your really "own" a thing unless you are free to destroy it? I'm not sure. Religion seems to grant us this power, but in the truly enlightened society we all dream about, not so much. Of course, I am not advocating or desiring to harm mine or anyone's child, but are we not 'destroying' a child's natural inclinations as we rear them? Do we have the right to program them with our various preconceptions, religious or otherwise? Probably not. To grant them the 'freedom from ownership' we apparently desire will take a serious re-evaluation of how we raise our children.
Of course, as we surrender our dignity and ambition in pursuit of various 'entitlements' we are essentially exchanging our 'ownership' to the government for these goods and services. Most do so desperately (if not enthusiastically) thus defining our reality as it exists.
Anyway ... off to work. I certainly don't 'own' my time.
It was a majority of conservative Republican Supreme Court that granted U.S. citizens the legal "right" to take the life of an unborn baby, not any god. So, you do NOT agree with that video's statement, "No other person, or group of persons owns your life. Nor do you own the lives of others." We do not "own" the lives of our children no matter whether they can yet breath on their own or not. Lacking a voice to protest should not allow us to take away their right to live.

Location hidden

#5953 Nov 4, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you are an already proven **liar**?
I doubt this very much. You are just repeating the talking points of the ReThug/Anti-life people.
You are **not** pro-life-- you are **pro-birth** and **anti-** everything else.
You are perfectly welcome to go have a pap smear and a transvaginal ultrasound and then come back and tell us, honestly,(which is likely impossible for you) which one was the least uncomfortable. While you're at it get an abortion so you can see for yourself what is truly invasive.

Try using your own mind instead of simply repeating the script your idol set up for you. Drone.

Location hidden

#5954 Nov 4, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly. Like taxes, licenses, permits do as you are told or get shot by hired thugs.
Nuh uh. There are plenty of people who get a nod on licenses and permits in this area.

Location hidden

#5955 Nov 4, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>It doesn't exist because people are afraid to be responsible for themselves.
What do you expect from people who delight in a government that insists on raising their children FOR them? In my area the government encourages mothers to send their kids to the schools so they can eat free hot meals all day and all year long. The school bus will even come get the kids and bring them back home, so the parents don't have to ever be responsible for feeding their kids a meal from birth to 18 if they don't feel like it. How convenient that a parent doesn't have to ever get out of bed and actually raise their own children, isn't it?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#5957 Nov 4, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>What do you expect from people who delight in a government that insists on raising their children FOR them? In my area the government encourages mothers to send their kids to the schools so they can eat free hot meals all day and all year long. The school bus will even come get the kids and bring them back home, so the parents don't have to ever be responsible for feeding their kids a meal from birth to 18 if they don't feel like it. How convenient that a parent doesn't have to ever get out of bed and actually raise their own children, isn't it?
The Creationist mental illness usually starts with god, but quickly spirals out of control, involving unborn children, women, homosexuals and eventually scientists too...

Creationism has an opinion on anything it can get its fraudulent mitts on.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5958 Nov 4, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>It was a majority of conservative Republican Supreme Court that granted U.S. citizens the legal "right" to take the life of an unborn baby, not any god. So, you do NOT agree with that video's statement, "No other person, or group of persons owns your life. Nor do you own the lives of others." We do not "own" the lives of our children no matter whether they can yet breath on their own or not. Lacking a voice to protest should not allow us to take away their right to live.
Abortions are terrible, deeply emotional, very private. Individuals should be granted the "right" to make their own decisions, not by consensus or legality but by virtue of their Humanity. The best abortions are the one's that don't happen. Unwanted pregnancies can be minimized with the proper availability of birth control, quality sex education and a general curricula designed to teach people how to THINK ... the goal should be "planned parenthood". Still, shite happens, passion and hormonal impetus being what it is. The situation cries out for a 'compromise'... a 'right to choose' within certain limitations. I personally think that the first trimester represents a reasonable boundary.'Bots, strangely silent or actively hostile to so many other aspects of Human Rights, have chosen to champion the fetus. This on a world slowly strangling under the weight of it's Human burden. Such compassion is a luxury of the well-off and sadly misdirected. There's so much misery in the world, so many children born into poverty, starvation and disease ... but ... helping them takes more than casting your vote or waving a placard. So on it goes ... PRAISE JESUS!!!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5959 Nov 4, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You are perfectly welcome to go have a pap smear and a transvaginal ultrasound and then come back and tell us, honestly,(which is likely impossible for you) which one was the least uncomfortable. While you're at it get an abortion so you can see for yourself what is truly invasive.
Try using your own mind instead of simply repeating the script your idol set up for you. Drone.
Abortions in the earliest stages, can be 100% non-invasive.

As in-- nothing at all.

But you horrid anti-life folks? You would **FORCE** an **INVASIVE** procedure just to soothe your horrid ANTI-LIFE religion.

What you ugly people demand? Is tantamount to forced rape.

As I already said? You are anti-everything else.

Since: Apr 11

Panorama City, CA

#5960 Nov 4, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly. Like taxes, licenses, permits do as you are told or get shot by hired thugs.
So, WTF is your point?

Location hidden

#5961 Nov 4, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Abortions are terrible, deeply emotional, very private. Individuals should be granted the "right" to make their own decisions, not by consensus or legality but by virtue of their Humanity. The best abortions are the one's that don't happen. Unwanted pregnancies can be minimized with the proper availability of birth control, quality sex education and a general curricula designed to teach people how to THINK ... the goal should be "planned parenthood". Still, shite happens, passion and hormonal impetus being what it is. The situation cries out for a 'compromise'... a 'right to choose' within certain limitations. I personally think that the first trimester represents a reasonable boundary.'Bots, strangely silent or actively hostile to so many other aspects of Human Rights, have chosen to champion the fetus. This on a world slowly strangling under the weight of it's Human burden. Such compassion is a luxury of the well-off and sadly misdirected. There's so much misery in the world, so many children born into poverty, starvation and disease ... but ... helping them takes more than casting your vote or waving a placard. So on it goes ... PRAISE JESUS!!!
Blah, blah, blah...

The "ultimate" abuse is murder. You remind me of the psychos who used "suspected" abuse as an excuse to murder those children in Waco. The elitist pigs just wanted to make an example of someone who they considered as "self-sufficient" and possibly aiming to create their own "state within a state" which they can't allow. The authorities could have arrested that turd Koresh when he was shopping in town but they chose to annihilate the community. Since when do the cops need flame throwing tanks to "take children into protective custody"?

No one "rightfully" owns another entity in a utopia. Every human entity should be allowed to enter the struggle that is life.

Too bad people have come to value life based on whether it is inconvenient to their own pleasure.

Location hidden

#5962 Nov 4, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Abortions in the earliest stages, can be 100% non-invasive.
As in-- nothing at all.
But you horrid anti-life folks? You would **FORCE** an **INVASIVE** procedure just to soothe your horrid ANTI-LIFE religion.
What you ugly people demand? Is tantamount to forced rape.
As I already said? You are anti-everything else.
Bullshyt! Women have bled to death after taking the morning after pill. Try harder to be honest, Bob.

Drugs are invasive too.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5963 Nov 4, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Bullshyt! Women have bled to death after taking the morning after pill.
Just another Faux SNooze Lie.

Your lies reveal your real agenda: to **punish** women for being women.

Ironic? Not at all-- you are not worthy of being female.
LCNLin

United States

#5964 Nov 4, 2013
Hitler

“As far as we are concerned, we’ve succeeded in chasing the Jews from our midst and excluding Christianity from our political life.”-Hitler’s Table Talk, pg 394

“There is something very unhealthy about Christianity.”-Hitler’s Table Talk, pg 418

Since: Apr 11

Panorama City, CA

#5965 Nov 4, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Bullshyt! Women have bled to death after taking the morning after pill. Try harder to be honest, Bob.
Drugs are invasive too.
Really? Back up that claim.

Location hidden

#5966 Nov 4, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
Hitler
“As far as we are concerned, we’ve succeeded in chasing the Jews from our midst and excluding Christianity from our political life.”-Hitler’s Table Talk, pg 394
“There is something very unhealthy about Christianity.”-Hitler’s Table Talk, pg 418
---

“I believe today that I am acting in the sense of the Almighty
Creator. By warding off the Jews I am fighting for the Lord’s work.”

[Adolph Hitler, Speech, Reichstag, 1936]

---

“The anti-Semitism of the new movement (Christian Social movement)
was based on religious ideas instead of racial knowledge.”

[Adolf Hitler, "Mein Kampf", Vol. 1, Chapter 3]

---

This quote is interesting, because it shows Hitler understands how the Church already lies to cover its arse. Hitler uses this central fraud of religion to do his bidding.

---
“I have followed [the Church] in giving our party program the
character of unalterable finality, like the Creed. The Church has
never allowed the Creed to be interfered with. It is fifteen hundred
years since it was formulated, but every suggestion for its
amendment, every logical criticism, or attack on it, has been
rejected. The Church has realized that anything and everything can be
built up on a document of that sort, no matter how contradictory or
irreconcilable with it. The faithful will swallow it whole, so long
as logical reasoning is never allowed to be brought to bear on it.”

[Adolf Hitler, from Rauschning,_The Voice of Destruction_, pp. 239-40]

Location hidden

#5967 Nov 4, 2013
"The Church has realized that anything and everything can be
built up on a document of that sort, no matter how contradictory or
irreconcilable with it. The faithful will swallow it whole, so long
as logical reasoning is never allowed to be brought to bear on it.”"

Hitler admits the Church is illogical and lies to cover up its tracks. Instead of being disgusted, he is inspired by the dishonesty he found in the religious cult.

Why do creationists try to cover this up? Why not take responsibility for your cult?

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#5968 Nov 4, 2013

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#5969 Nov 4, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
So, WTF is your point?
That it is wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 43 min yehoshooah adam 4,328
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 58 min 15th Dalai Lama 77,084
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 3 hr brenda6 899
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr John 32,291
Atheists are subhuman filth that need to be exe... 16 hr Roec 1
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 18 hr superwilly 258,482
Religion sux ? Tue Eagle 12 - 4
More from around the web