Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

There are 11901 comments on the Free Republic story from May 5, 2011, titled Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?. In it, Free Republic reports that:

'RELIGION SHOULD BE TREATED WITH RIDICULE, HATRED AND CONTEMPT' Atheism, or 'antitheism,' which was once considered taboo in America, has gone somewhat mainstream in today's society.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Free Republic.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#5825 Oct 23, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Notice the idiot thinks that I'm white and says that my ancestors owned slaves, though I'm black and my ancestors fought against slavery?
Notice his racist assertion that a whole race of people(the white race) should be held responsible for tings the did not commit?
Pretty Christian of him
How do I know.
Him wrongly assuming my race without evidence and with all evidence to the contrary=His assumption that a god exist, despite all evidence to the contrary.
His racist viewpoint that a whole race of people should be held accountable for slavery= 1-The Christian doctrine that we are all sinners, inheriting original sin from Adam and Eve. 2- The fact that God killed the children of Egypt for the crimes of Pharaoh.3-The fact that god banned bastards from heaven.
I haven't kept close tabs on this thread but pop in every once in a while.

Considering your post, it must gnaw at his craw that the abolitionists used the Bible to justify freeing the slaves. And prevailed.

Perhaps God was thwarted once again by chariots of iron?

As for the Adam and Eve thing, is it any wonder they cling to that so tightly and oppose the Theory of Evolution so vigorously?

No definitive Adam and Eve, no Original Sin. No Original Sin, no need for Messiah Jesus to save us. No need for a Messiah at all.

Original Sin - The invisible, unmeasurable disease that only a church can cure (for a small fee).

But that's what happens when you take an Aesop's Fairy Tale and try to read it literally.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#5826 Oct 23, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't kept close tabs on this thread but pop in every once in a while.
Considering your post, it must gnaw at his craw that the abolitionists used the Bible to justify freeing the slaves. And prevailed.
Perhaps God was thwarted once again by chariots of iron?
As for the Adam and Eve thing, is it any wonder they cling to that so tightly and oppose the Theory of Evolution so vigorously?
No definitive Adam and Eve, no Original Sin. No Original Sin, no need for Messiah Jesus to save us. No need for a Messiah at all.
Original Sin - The invisible, unmeasurable disease that only a church can cure (for a small fee).
But that's what happens when you take an Aesop's Fairy Tale and try to read it literally.
Exactly. You hit it right on the mark. The church is not satisfied with doing good deeds, they want power and control. Hence the need for "original sin."

Nehwon

#5827 Oct 23, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct: calculus is based on logic.
BuyBull(bible) is based on the exact opposite: bullshyt.
And calculus was based on mathematics learned and expanded our knowledge.

What does religion do to allow us to learn more?

Sit and wait until the next prophet comes along to tell us something new?

Argue trivial points of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Pointlessly debate on translations from derivative (heh) sources?

Nehwon

#5828 Oct 23, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. You hit it right on the mark. The church is not satisfied with doing good deeds, they want power and control. Hence the need for "original sin."
The way I look at religion is to see the results that religion has yielded.

Christianity has fractured into Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodox (the forgotten Christian by US folk). Which then fractured again by Martin Luther and King Henry VIII. And fractured big time in the short history of the U.S.

It seems God's prophets really suck at trying to unify humans.

I wonder if they get millennial "Needs Improvement" reviews in Heaven?

After 3000 years of unsatisfactory reviews, do the prophets get fired and end up taking a minimum wage job as Satan's minion?
Crolath

Palo Cedro, CA

#5829 Oct 24, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
And money, don't forget the piles of cash getting raked in every day. Only a portion is used for good deeds, but the rest goes toward mansions, private jets, and Rolexes. Apparently god LOVES Rolexes....
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#5830 Oct 24, 2013
Christianity is the purest form of satan worship. They believe hi lie in the Garden of Eden, you can disobey God and not keep her commandments and you won't die. They strengthen the hands of the wicked by promising them life. Ezekiel 13:22. There will not be everlasting peace in the world until all the Christians are eradicated. That won't happen until the resurrection of the true Messiah on the Mount of Olives. Jesus and all the Christians will burst into flames. (Spontaneous combustion). Zechariah 14:12. Christians are full of hate and they emulate their god-satan.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5831 Oct 24, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
And calculus was based on mathematics learned and expanded our knowledge.
What does religion do to allow us to learn more?
Sit and wait until the next prophet comes along to tell us something new?
Argue trivial points of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
Pointlessly debate on translations from derivative (heh) sources?
In the entire history of religion?

Not one single new idea or thought was produced within it's confines.

Not.
One.
New.
Thing.

Even their bits of dogma, their theological stories? Borrowed from elsewhere.

In short?

**ALL** cultural progress--**all** ideas of morality that should be applied to everyone, came from **secular** sources.

And religion-- once again-- has to play catch up.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5832 Oct 24, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
The way I look at religion is to see the results that religion has yielded.
Christianity has fractured into Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodox (the forgotten Christian by US folk). Which then fractured again by Martin Luther and King Henry VIII. And fractured big time in the short history of the U.S.
It seems God's prophets really suck at trying to unify humans.
I wonder if they get millennial "Needs Improvement" reviews in Heaven?
After 3000 years of unsatisfactory reviews, do the prophets get fired and end up taking a minimum wage job as Satan's minion?
LOL! "needs improvement".

If only it were possible to improve religion...

... first?

You'd have to discard **all** the "holy" books...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5833 Oct 24, 2013
Crolath wrote:
<quoted text>
And money, don't forget the piles of cash getting raked in every day. Only a portion is used for good deeds, but the rest goes toward mansions, private jets, and Rolexes. Apparently god LOVES Rolexes....
Indeed. And private stretch limos too. And multiple mansions. And multiple trips to the Bahamas, and elsewhere...

... can't forget the illicit liaisons in public restrooms, though.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5834 Oct 24, 2013
<quoted text>
Indeed. And private stretch limos too. And multiple mansions. And multiple trips to the Bahamas, and elsewhere...
... can't forget the illicit liaisons in public restrooms, though.
New Pope's for cut'n back ...

" http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-... ;

Yay New Pope.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5835 Oct 24, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Yay New Pope.
Adapt or perish.

This is true of religions as well as species.

:)
Crolath

Palo Cedro, CA

#5836 Oct 24, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Yay New Pope.
It's like that movie "Mad Money" where a group of women were stealing money but had an agreement not to spend it on anything obvious. One woman can't resist buying a huge diamond ring and gets yelled at for it. The bishop of bling isn't in trouble for being a greedy pig, just for making it obvious.

Nehwon

#5837 Oct 24, 2013
<quoted text>
LOL! "needs improvement".
If only it were possible to improve religion...
... first?
You'd have to discard **all** the "holy" books...
Well, I wouldn't discard those books. I do find them interesting from a historical/cultural perspective.

Discard the "divinely inspired," pick selected sentences, marching orders directly from God aspect - oh yeah.

Although, I must admit, I'd be quite amused if Jesus Christ did return.

I'm pretty sure we'd see an encore rendition of the cleansing of the temple rampage on the Prosperity Theology Christians.

Hell, I'd subscribe to that Pay Per View channel.

The jaw dropping shock of realization on Pat Robertson's face would be worth the 6 low monthly installments of 29.95.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5838 Oct 25, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I wouldn't discard those books. I do find them interesting from a historical/cultural perspective.
Discard the "divinely inspired," pick selected sentences, marching orders directly from God aspect - oh yeah.
Although, I must admit, I'd be quite amused if Jesus Christ did return.
I'm pretty sure we'd see an encore rendition of the cleansing of the temple rampage on the Prosperity Theology Christians.
Hell, I'd subscribe to that Pay Per View channel.
The jaw dropping shock of realization on Pat Robertson's face would be worth the 6 low monthly installments of 29.95.
Indeed: Robertson has dished out his particular brand of swill for so long, he has completely forgotten that he fabricated it all.

I think he actually believes his own BS. I really do.

And yes-- I'd pay to see that as well. It'd be so worth it, when it finally dawned on him, what a big fat liar he's been all these years.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#5839 Oct 25, 2013
susanblange wrote:
Christianity is the purest form of satan worship. They believe hi lie in the Garden of Eden, you can disobey God and not keep her commandments and you won't die. They strengthen the hands of the wicked by promising them life. Ezekiel 13:22. There will not be everlasting peace in the world until all the Christians are eradicated. That won't happen until the resurrection of the true Messiah on the Mount of Olives. Jesus and all the Christians will burst into flames.(Spontaneous combustion). Zechariah 14:12. Christians are full of hate and they emulate their god-satan.
Or...

It's all a bunch of hooey and theists are loopy.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#5842 Oct 25, 2013
Now wrote:
<quoted text>They need to teach why atheists are hateful people in school. That alone will remedy our world of absurdity.
Do you have an opinion or did you just join in to let out some of the anger you can't share in church? Show some sort of intelligent debate or you'll simply e seen as another atheist obsessed troll on Topix. Nice to meet ya by the way. I look forward to future conversations :-)

Since: Apr 11

Los Angeles, CA

#5843 Oct 25, 2013
Now wrote:
<quoted text>
They need to teach why atheists are hateful people in school. That alone will remedy our world of absurdity.
Hate? I don't see atheists recommending violence against boys who "act like a female". He says fathers should break the bones of their sons who "drop the limp wrist".

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#5844 Oct 26, 2013
Now wrote:
<quoted text>
They need to teach why atheists are hateful people in school. That alone will remedy our world of absurdity.
We are not the ones who believe in a god who sends people to hell for their beliefs.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5845 Oct 26, 2013
Now wrote:
<quoted text>
Is atheism your reason for anger?
I am not the angry one here, silly boy.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#5846 Oct 26, 2013
Now wrote:
<quoted text>
Is atheism your reason for anger?
You're here in the atheism forum because you doubt your cult.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 4 hr Frindly 3,322
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr Frindly 84,013
News BILL-BORED: Get Ready For Atheists' Annual Use ... 16 hr Eagle 12 - 9
News Scientist Richard Dawkins weighs in on Malaysia... Thu Eagle 12 - 6
High School Atheism Thu blacklagoon 3 41
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Wed Eagle 12 - 4,965
Where have all the Atheists gone? (Apr '17) Wed Eagle 12 - 132
More from around the web