Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

There are 20 comments on the Free Republic story from May 5, 2011, titled Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?. In it, Free Republic reports that:

'RELIGION SHOULD BE TREATED WITH RIDICULE, HATRED AND CONTEMPT' Atheism, or 'antitheism,' which was once considered taboo in America, has gone somewhat mainstream in today's society.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Free Republic.

James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5723 Oct 15, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
It shouldn't but it seems to - I mean you're here making an ass of yourself in front of people smarter than you.
If only you knew anything, you might be right. Well, from the viewpoint of a selfish mind, you and your friends are right!
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5724 Oct 15, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think THIS moronic post should be added to the "most idiotic things posted by a godbot" list.
Personally, I consider militant religionists like yourself to be some of the most selfish people on the planet.
Too bad your thinking isn't reality. You're absolutely wrong. It's militant atheists and similar non-christian groups that are the most selfish.
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5725 Oct 15, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
When you can prove the mental illness you call a religion, you will get respect and not before.
Well, when you aren't mentally ill any more, then you might get respect from me.
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5726 Oct 15, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW. You have just proved, for me anyway, that the REAL "crybaby" here is YOU. And yes, that term applies to all the militant religionists -- I refuse to call you all "Christians -- who get mad and throw verbal temper tantrums because we refuse to join your Misery Loves Company Club.
Actually, when someone can't handle when someone else believes differently than them, they start crying(i.e. throwing verbal tenper tantrums). So crying = cry baby. And that statement describes what you and your fellow comrades do. lol. It can't be much clearer than that. What do you want me to teach you and your comrades next?
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5727 Oct 15, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to concentrate of proving the god that you claim to believe in. Once you've done that you can say whatever you like about atheist.
Have fun wasting your life doing this!
I need to do what I want to do.

If you were to try to prove it, you would be wasting your life.
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5728 Oct 15, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
The main reason is that you're shameless liars for your cult who take ZERO responsibility for the CRAP you put in our homes, hotels and cities.
Your cult is a disgusting testament to hate - your bible tells all your mentally ill followers that atheists are fools, based on ZERO evidence.
When you've finessed apologising for your cult, you then need to look into your own conscience and decide if lying about god is the path you want to really take in a world which is verified by science every single day - sh*tting on your cult's claims.
Nah, our what you call 'cult' says 'do not steal', do not do this, do not do that, etc. And since most Atheists and other similar groups steal, and do this and do that, they don't like to hear it. lol. So reality is that you guys don't want to feel bad for anything you do wrong. Therefore you don't want to take responsibility. But you open your mouth when you're the one that's mentally ill. Well, listen to you, no wonder why they call you fools. lol
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5729 Oct 15, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
You are assuming that Bob is white. which he may or may not be.But whether he is or not, is immaterial. Race is different than religion. People cannot choose their race, but they can choose their religion. Nothing about being white makes someone support slavery, whereas your ugly buybull promoted slavery.
Are you a bible expert who claims to know how every piece of the bible fits together and understands every verse or something?
If you are, then maybe you could solve the terrorism problems of this world. And maybe you could find an alternative to using oil. I mean if you read the bible and understand it, you should be able to do anything. You and your type all claim to know everything when it comes to the bible, but how is it that you can't solve other puzzles in life?
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5730 Oct 15, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
How amusing; I think you have just revealed the real reason why so-called "Christians" -- I prefer the term religionists -- ridicule atheism. You said it yourself: "...when other people believe(or do) different than them, it doesn't make them feel good. That's all they care about is them feeling good. So they attack because they have the intellect of a cave man."
Religionists -- yourself included, obviously -- definitely don't like it when we refuse to join what I like to call your Misery Loves Company Club. So you offer all kinds of idiotic guesses why that is the case, and you don't mind ridiculing atheists either. And you all wonder why atheists ridicule Christianity. Go figure.
As soon as all you non-religionists let go of your desire to be right and fear of being wrong(you know, all those selfish desires), you might learn something.
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5731 Oct 15, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a cowadly dishonest liar with no evidence of god, who ignorantly blasts his face trumpet at atheists who are slamming you with hard facts your failing cult can't take.
You're a coward who has no evidence that his beliefs are right.

“I'm out hunting”

Since: Jan 10

For your mind and soul

#5732 Oct 15, 2013
James wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a bible expert who claims to know how every piece of the bible fits together and understands every verse or something?
If you are, then maybe you could solve the terrorism problems of this world. And maybe you could find an alternative to using oil. I mean if you read the bible and understand it, you should be able to do anything. You and your type all claim to know everything when it comes to the bible, but how is it that you can't solve other puzzles in life?
The buybull is no puzzle. It is just garbage. The only puzzle is why any one would regard it as better than garbage.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#5733 Oct 16, 2013
STEPHMAR wrote:
<quoted text>And The Big Bang is even a funnier belief system?
The Big Bang is not a belief system lmao!!! This literally made me lol.
Ocean56

AOL

#5735 Oct 16, 2013
James wrote:
As soon as all you non-religionists let go of your desire to be right and fear of being wrong (you know, all those selfish desires), you might learn something.
Oh PLEASE, I've learned plenty over the years, and I decide for MYSELF what is worthy of keeping in my life and what to reject. I rejected the toxic baggage of Catholicism over 25 years ago, since that's the religion I was stuck with as a child. When I became a financially independent adult, I got rid of Catholicism, along with the baggage of all gods, religions and churches. I still consider that to be one of the BEST decisions I ever made.

These days, I have seven good reasons to love being what I call Catholicism-Free (CF for short):

1. No constant and tedious preaching about "sin"

2. No long and boring church services and sermons to ruin my Sundays

3. No hassles about the weekly drag known as "confession."

4. Not having to pop out more kids than I wanted because of Catholicism's anti-contraception doctrines

5. Not having to give any of my money to the church's blood-sucking hierarchy by the church-based extortion practice known as "tithing."

6. No worries about my child being a victim of one of the Catholic Church's vile pedophile priests

7. Freedom to decide for MYSELF on all important personal matters like sex, marriage, and reproduction

Personally, I find it a gross obscenity that a group of male clerics in dresses has the arrogance to believe it has the "right" to rule over millions of people's lives. Luckily for me, I can -- and DID -- kick all of this toxic church's baggage to the curb so it wouldn't ruin the quality of MY life. I celebrate that decision every day.

For me, being Catholicism-Free (CF) ROCKS. It's wonderful how much freedom people have when they AREN'T mentally chained to a regressive and oppressive religious institution.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#5736 Oct 16, 2013
James wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, our what you call 'cult' says 'do not steal', do not do this, do not do that, etc. And since most Atheists and other similar groups steal, and do this and do that, they don't like to hear it. lol. So reality is that you guys don't want to feel bad for anything you do wrong. Therefore you don't want to take responsibility. But you open your mouth when you're the one that's mentally ill. Well, listen to you, no wonder why they call you fools. lol
Your cult says don't lie, but here you are lying about god and showing no evidence...or shame.

Its your mental illness and not shared by atheists, remember that - your god is only as real as you fool yourself into believing - its doesnt affect any atheists's lives.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#5737 Oct 16, 2013
James wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a coward who has no evidence that his beliefs are right.
I'm an atheist, I don't believe in religious liars like yourself. When you've proved what I don't believe in, I will believe in it, and not before.

You can't threaten me into believing in your personal imagination. One day you will work this out.

Every religiously mentally ill person has a personal idea of what god is and no two are the same. When you liars realise this, you too will become atheist out of disgust.
Crolath

Shingletown, CA

#5738 Oct 16, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Edited for space.
So, like I thought, you haven't *really* read it. You admit to taking on faith what you don't understand, and not dwelling on god's history (assuming because it makes your uncomfortable, look up cognitive dissonance). My dare still stands, if you want to take me up on it. Read the bible again without the rose colored glasses, and if there are parts you don't understand, research them using works by respected historians and/or think on on those parts until you do understand. Don't gloss over parts that make you uncomfortable even though there are passages that make it sound like god really enjoyed slaughtering children and Jesus was sometimes a selfish bigot. You say you worship god rather than the bible, but if you call yourself a Christian, then that is *your* book - that is the book your entire religion is founded on, so OWN it for crying out loud.

But what about my other points? The child molestation, lies, hypocrisy, bigotry, and rampant greed? Sure, it's true that those traits are present in many people, not just church leaders. However, it is those same church leaders that are holding themselves up as a moral authority saying, "I will tell you how god wants you to act" while their actions are unconscionable. Religion is about having power over people and taking their money. If you don't believe it, think on this scenario: a woman at church stands up and announces to the preacher that she cares about her fellow man and wants to lessen their burdens, therefore she believes all churches should start paying their fair share of taxes. How do you think that would go over?

Look, I'm not trying to take your faith - you can believe in the flying purple people eater for all I care. Just as long as your faith doesn't impact people's laws, wallets, or personal lives, we will get along fine. Oh, and as long as you don't use your faith as a baseball bat to hit others over the head with. I am of course referring to your earlier comment along the lines of if people don't believe in god than the whole country will be ruined and it will be the yucky ol' atheists' fault. That wasn't very nice. Let me give you an exercise for the future: if you feel like saying something negative about a kind of person or group of people, replace the word for the group with "women" or "black people" and see how your comment sounds. If it is not longer okay to say it, then it wasn't okay to begin with.

Lastly, my using the word "heart" doesn't mean I believe in souls or any other "woo." I just meant the normal human conscience, good judgement, etc., that we all should be learning from our families and from interactions with other human beings. I don't need to believe there is a god in order to do good things, and I don't need to believe there is a devil in order to avoid doing bad things.

You imply that you aim to be patient, kind, and merciful. All good goals. I wish you success in that, however, trying to shoehorn people into your preconceptions is at cross purposes with those goals. Please think about it.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#5739 Oct 16, 2013
James wrote:
<quoted text>
The vast majority of prison inmates claim to belong to one religion or another. Atheists are a small percentage of the general population, but are an infinitesmal percentage of the prison population. This would either refute your claim that atheists like to steal and perform other anti-social acts or else it would indicate that atheists are extremely proficient at committing crimes, whereas theists are such bumblers they get caught at amazingly disparate rates.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#5742 Oct 16, 2013
chipped nails wrote:
<quoted text>
..... Atheists are ridiculous arrogant maggots. Not one has ever been different , as far as I've ever seen. Just ugly putrid horrid people full of SEETHING HATRED.
http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/ghwbush.h...
According to a 2012 poll, only about 54% of USAmericans would vote for a US President who was atheist.

But there's no such thing as gods or pixies.

Jonny Eve sings it as it is...
http://www.atheismuk.com/2012/03/31/atheism/y...

Religion = superstition

Location hidden

#5743 Oct 16, 2013
chipped nails wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a very insecure laugh though. A laugh evoked by the feeling of being wrong. Not a real laugh from humor or coming from a feeling of confidence. Atheists are ridiculous arrogant maggots. Not one has ever been different , as far as I've ever seen. Just ugly putrid horrid people full of SEETHING HATRED.
wow... have you ever done theater? You are very dramatic indeed.

Location hidden

#5744 Oct 16, 2013
chipped nails wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a very insecure laugh though. A laugh evoked by the feeling of being wrong. Not a real laugh from humor or coming from a feeling of confidence. Atheists are ridiculous arrogant maggots. Not one has ever been different , as far as I've ever seen. Just ugly putrid horrid people full of SEETHING HATRED.
You seem to know this laugh well... often used I'd imagine ;) Do you talk to maggots too!?!? I didn't think that a maggot could be arrogant. Of course I don't talk to them so I guess I wouldn't really know.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5745 Oct 16, 2013
Believer wrote:
WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE,
Except.... being good enough to convince an atheist...

... fail.

That's ONE (1) thing your god cannot do.

What else does your god fail at?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min Denisova 18,890
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 21 min Uncle Sam 238,439
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Thinking 6,708
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 8 hr spellmeout 14,657
News .com | What hope is there without God? 11 hr Amused 2
News Confessions of a black atheist 12 hr thetruth 478
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 12 hr thetruth 2,099
More from around the web