Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

There are 11901 comments on the Free Republic story from May 5, 2011, titled Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?. In it, Free Republic reports that:

'RELIGION SHOULD BE TREATED WITH RIDICULE, HATRED AND CONTEMPT' Atheism, or 'antitheism,' which was once considered taboo in America, has gone somewhat mainstream in today's society.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Free Republic.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#5701 Oct 14, 2013
James wrote:
One main reason why atheists ridicule Christianity is because when other people believe(or do) different than them, it doesn't make them feel good. That's all they care about is them feeling good. So they attack because they have the intellect of a cave man. But the real problem is that what other people believe shouldn't affect how atheists(and other non-Christians) feel. Athiests and other non-Christians shouldn't be taking things so personally.
The main reason is that you're shameless liars for your cult who take ZERO responsibility for the CRAP you put in our homes, hotels and cities.

Your cult is a disgusting testament to hate - your bible tells all your mentally ill followers that atheists are fools, based on ZERO evidence.

When you've finessed apologising for your cult, you then need to look into your own conscience and decide if lying about god is the path you want to really take in a world which is verified by science every single day - sh*tting on your cult's claims.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#5702 Oct 14, 2013
James wrote:
One main reason why atheists ridicule Christianity is because when other people believe(or do) different than them, it doesn't make them feel good. That's all they care about is them feeling good. So they attack because they have the intellect of a cave man. But the real problem is that what other people believe shouldn't affect how atheists(and other non-Christians) feel. Athiests and other non-Christians shouldn't be taking things so personally.
We are not the ones who believe in a God who sends people to hell for not believing.
We are not the ones who believe in a god who believes in slavery.
We are not the ones who believe in a murdering god.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

I'm An Illegal Alien

#5703 Oct 14, 2013
James wrote:
<quoted text>
You say: "you--by supporting and promoting the ugly bible-- are guilty of any evil done in it's name"
There's proof of your dark-age thinking. You prejudice freak. What else do I need to point out to you so you can learn something? I would bet against anything that you bet for.
If I'm guilty of all that, then you and your kind are guilty of slavery and should be punished for it still today! And all African-.
You are assuming that Bob is white. which he may or may not be.But whether he is or not, is immaterial. Race is different than religion. People cannot choose their race, but they can choose their religion. Nothing about being white makes someone support slavery, whereas your ugly buybull promoted slavery.

Location hidden

#5704 Oct 14, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
You are assuming that Bob is white. which he may or may not be.But whether he is or not, is immaterial. Race is different than religion. People cannot choose their race, but they can choose their religion. Nothing about being white makes someone support slavery, whereas your ugly buybull promoted slavery.
Faith is a mental illness which attacks atheist victims through its hateful religious followers.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#5705 Oct 14, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Is because you have such ridiculous beliefs.
If you would stop having such funny beliefs?
There would be nothing to ridicule...
.... LMAO!
God says, "The fool has said in his heart there is no God." Atheist intellectuals and other non-believers are filled with hate for a faith that teaches us to live our fellow man, to take care of those who can't take care of themselves, to be patient and kind and forgiving of one another.

When we practice our faith by displaying the Cross, a Manger Scene, the Ten Commandments in public places you say we are infringing on your rights not to have to look upon such ugly things.
(I suppose you would prefer giant pictures of ungodly atheists like Mao and Stalin in public places.)

You may be able to convince future generations that this country should have no public displays of Christianity. Faith and the God of the Bible have sustained us for over two centuries. Now that we are becoming a more secular anti-God society, you must be enjoying that.

If this ever becomes a nation that is not blessed by God, You and your children will reap what you have sown. God help them! You haven't.

Location hidden

#5707 Oct 14, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
God says, "The fool has said in his heart there is no God." Atheist intellectuals and other non-believers are filled with hate for a faith that teaches us to live our fellow man, to take care of those who can't take care of themselves, to be patient and kind and forgiving of one another.
When we practice our faith by displaying the Cross, a Manger Scene, the Ten Commandments in public places you say we are infringing on your rights not to have to look upon such ugly things.
(I suppose you would prefer giant pictures of ungodly atheists like Mao and Stalin in public places.)
You may be able to convince future generations that this country should have no public displays of Christianity. Faith and the God of the Bible have sustained us for over two centuries. Now that we are becoming a more secular anti-God society, you must be enjoying that.
If this ever becomes a nation that is not blessed by God, You and your children will reap what you have sown. God help them! You haven't.
You're a cowadly dishonest liar with no evidence of god, who ignorantly blasts his face trumpet at atheists who are slamming you with hard facts your failing cult can't take.

Location hidden

#5708 Oct 14, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
When you can prove the god your cult sent you here to lie to us about, your ignorant delusions will matter more.
Crolath

Redding, CA

#5709 Oct 14, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
I (and most other atheists) don't hate faith. We hate lies, hypocrisy, bigotry, and other nefarious things such as the systematic cover up of child molestation.

If believers were patient and kind they wouldn't discriminate against gay people. If they cared about their fellow man they wouldn't allow their leaders to spend millions on Rolexes and mansions, that mo dy would feed the hungry.

Regarding the display of religious items, it's not that they are ugly, it's that having them on government property shows endorsement for that religion and makes people of other or no religion into second class citizens.

And if it is true that you are one of those very rare folks that is religious and yet not hateful, then you are still part of the problem because you are not sufficiently standing up against the hateful ones.

Try this: read the Bible cover to cover. Not just the parts your preacher man tells you to read. Read it with your own mind and heart, without your preacher man's interpretations. Perhaps the scales will fall from your eyes.
Crolath

Redding, CA

#5710 Oct 14, 2013
---> "mo dy" = money. Damn these tiny keyboards!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5712 Oct 14, 2013
James wrote:
<quoted text>
You say: "you--by supporting and promoting the ugly bible-- are guilty of any evil done in it's name"
There's proof of your dark-age thinking. You prejudice freak. What else do I need to point out to you so you can learn something? I would bet against anything that you bet for.
If I'm guilty of all that, then you and your kind are guilty of slavery and should be punished for it still today! And all African-Americans are right in hating you and your kind.
And you are guilty of any evil done by members of your cult. And your cult is guilty of all the hate laws based on your cult, and trying to keep Christian laws out(because you think your cult is supreme). And therefore, you and your cult members should be hated by all Christians.
Your "logic" is flawed.

I have never owned a slave. Nor have I ever promoted literature that is pro-slavery.

YOU HAVE: your bible is pro-slavery.

It is YOU who is guilty here, not I.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5713 Oct 14, 2013
James wrote:
atheists and non-Christians shouldn't be so selfish.
Indeed... but you are so selfish.

Hypocrite, much?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5714 Oct 14, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
God says, <blah-blah-blah-blah>
Seven Godly Sins

If god destroys people for not obeying him, it is WRATH
If god punishes people for believing in a different god, it is ENVY
If god lets tragedies and disasters happen of which he could have prevented, it is SLOTH
If god allows anyone to hunger unnecessarily while he has enough for himself, it is GLUTTONY
If god expects his followers to dedicate their lives to worshiping and praying to him, it is PRIDE
If god insists his followers pay tithes and offerings for his approval, it is GREED
If god intends on being party to every marriage, it is LUST

“Sombrero Galaxy”

I'm An Illegal Alien

#5715 Oct 14, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith is a mental illness which attacks atheist victims through its hateful religious followers.
Agreed. It never ceases to amaze me, how many godbots are racists. Just look at the whole Southern Bible belt. Fought to keep slavery. Fought for segregation. Recently, a Southern Church refused to admit an interracial couple.
Black Racists, like the one I've just addressed are no different.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#5716 Oct 14, 2013
Crolath wrote:
<quoted text>
I (and most other atheists) don't hate faith. We hate lies, hypocrisy, bigotry, and other nefarious things such as the systematic cover up of child molestation.
If believers were patient and kind they wouldn't discriminate against gay people. If they cared about their fellow man they wouldn't allow their leaders to spend millions on Rolexes and mansions, that mo dy would feed the hungry.
Regarding the display of religious items, it's not that they are ugly, it's that having them on government property shows endorsement for that religion and makes people of other or no religion into second class citizens.
And if it is true that you are one of those very rare folks that is religious and yet not hateful, then you are still part of the problem because you are not sufficiently standing up against the hateful ones.
Try this: read the Bible cover to cover. Not just the parts your preacher man tells you to read. Read it with your own mind and heart, without your preacher man's interpretations. Perhaps the scales will fall from your eyes.
I have read the Bible through more than once. The parts if the Old Testament that I don't fully understand, I believe by faith...I don't worship the Bible. I worship God (Father/Son/Holy spirit)..

I believe the Bible to have been written as the Bible says..by men inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Jesus is referred to as the Word and He participated in the Creation of all things that God created.

Jesus taught that we should love one another, be patient, kind and merciful. He taught in parables like the one of the Good Samaritan. The "religious" men passed up the man that lay dieting on the road, but the Samaritan (who was looked down upon by the Religious Pharisees) was the one who did what was right in the eyes of Jesus.

I found it interesting that you told me to read my Bible with my mind and my "heart." To me, this implies that you do realize there is more to us as human beings than mind and intellect. I believe this "heart" consciousness to be the spirit.

When I study the teachings of Jesus, and read the accounts of what He did, why He came, and believe by faith that He was our example of what God is truly like (God come to Earth as a man)...Jesus said He and the Father were One....if we see Jesus, we see God...

I don't dwell on how a god did things before Christ came. Jesus is the God I worship (father/Son/Holy Spirit.
WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE,
Believer

Manchester, TN

#5717 Oct 14, 2013
The man was dying, not dieting (of course). Spellcheck only works if we come close.
Believer

Manchester, TN

#5718 Oct 14, 2013
:o)
Ocean56

AOL

#5719 Oct 15, 2013
James wrote:
I am well versed in it. It's on every page on here. You and your comrades do it all the time. It's just worthless talk. lol
If it's "just worthless talk," why are you here?

The way I see it, atheists (myself included) ridicule Christianity because so-called "Christians" insist that everyone worship it and get mad when we refuse to do so. Then these same "Christians" start throwing insults and making vague threats about the mythical "hell."

To me, it means they're pissed because we refuse to join their Misery Loves Company club. Too bad. I simply refuse to trade in the pleasures of secularist freedom for the miseries of religionist slavery. The religionists will just have to deal with it.
Ocean56

AOL

#5720 Oct 15, 2013
James wrote:
How amusing; I think you have just revealed the real reason why so-called "Christians" -- I prefer the term religionists -- ridicule atheism. You said it yourself: "...when other people believe(or do) different than them, it doesn't make them feel good. That's all they care about is them feeling good. So they attack because they have the intellect of a cave man."

Religionists -- yourself included, obviously -- definitely don't like it when we refuse to join what I like to call your Misery Loves Company Club. So you offer all kinds of idiotic guesses why that is the case, and you don't mind ridiculing atheists either. And you all wonder why atheists ridicule Christianity. Go figure.
Ocean56

AOL

#5721 Oct 15, 2013
James wrote:
when did i put my hate in your laws idiot? i personally didn't do anything moron. neither did any of the Christians on here. learn that! what we believe shouldn't affect how you feel. cry baby.
you can believe all of your fantasies about you being right all the time. i could care less that you have your delusions.
WOW. You have just proved, for me anyway, that the REAL "crybaby" here is YOU. And yes, that term applies to all the militant religionists -- I refuse to call you all "Christians -- who get mad and throw verbal temper tantrums because we refuse to join your Misery Loves Company Club.

Ocean56

AOL

#5722 Oct 15, 2013
James wrote:
atheists and non-Christians shouldn't be so selfish.
I think THIS moronic post should be added to the "most idiotic things posted by a godbot" list.

Personally, I consider militant religionists like yourself to be some of the most selfish people on the planet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 2 hr replaytime 711
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr SoE 76,871
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 7 hr The FACTory 4,299
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 8 hr Aerobatty 258,475
hell is a real place. so.. ahtiesm is a faux li... 16 hr Ben Avraham 11
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Jul 18 John 4,952
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Jul 18 John 32,164
More from around the web