Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

May 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Free Republic

'RELIGION SHOULD BE TREATED WITH RIDICULE, HATRED AND CONTEMPT' Atheism, or 'antitheism,' which was once considered taboo in America, has gone somewhat mainstream in today's society.

Comments
5,081 - 5,100 of 5,918 Comments Last updated May 8, 2014

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the average, conservative theist is really good at laughing -at- someone. "You're going to Hell and I'm not! HAHAHAHAHA"
They tend to get quite pissed when you point out they, also, will be going to Hell according to their own dogma.
Which, coincidentally, also happens to be amusing.
Yes it is... amusing.

:)

Irony is delicious, after all.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Lewis Black Richard Pryor George Carlin Robin Williams Bill Hicks, Lenny Bruce even Bob Newhart in the old days Had good material on society.
I have always enjoyed sarcasm
I enjoy laughing
In particular at some of these silly posters. ;)
Maybe theists could try Homeopathy to fix their irrational belief in things that have no scientific basis?
I especially like comedians that can get their material broadcast on TV. Some are clean (degree of difficulty big time) like Bill Cosby or Sinbad, but getting the double entendre past the censors is even funnier.

Examples include old game shows, like the Match Game or Paul Lynde on the Hollywood squares. And Arrested Development... wow.

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Tom Lehrer!
sings "Poisoning pigeons in the park!"

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
The New AI: Where Neuroscience and Artificial Intelligence Meet
12 hrs ago from Slashdot.org
An anonymous reader writes "We're seeing a new revolution in artificial intelligence known as deep learning: algorithms modeled after the brain have made amazing strides and have been consistently winning both industrial and academic data competitions with minimal effort. "Basically, it involves building neural networks — networks that mimic the behavior of the human brain. Much like the brain, these multi-layered computer networks can gather information and react to it.
They can build up an understanding of what objects look or sound like. In an effort to recreate human vision, for example, you might build a basic layer of artificial neurons that can detect simple things like the edges of a particular shape.
The next layer could then piece together these edges to identify the larger shape, and then the shapes could be strung together to understand an object.
The key here is that the software does all this on its own — a big advantage over older AI models, which required engineers to massage the visual or auditory data so that it could be digested by the machine-learning algorithm."
Are we ready to blur the line between hardware and wetware?"
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
~Clint aka Josie Wales
It will be interesting if a computer becomes sentient.

It would put a damper on the "Life only comes from life" argument.

But I suppose the theists would weasel out by saying a computer was created by a living thing so a sentient computer came from life.

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
What would you call a Homeopathic Bible?
Easy! Buy one of those blank page ledger thingys. Print "Homeopathic Bible" on the cover.
... and?
VIOLA! There you have it: your very own Homeopathic Bible!
Just as accurate, and just as valid as the original, too!
Guaranteed!
:D
Doesn't that already exist?

Take a word.
Add ten words and do that ten times.

Then only point to the parts that fit your authoritarian decrees and disregard anything else that doesn't fit.

And then cry foul when it's pointed out the placebo effect has better results.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't that already exist?
Take a word.
Add ten words and do that ten times.
Then only point to the parts that fit your authoritarian decrees and disregard anything else that doesn't fit.
And then cry foul when it's pointed out the placebo effect has better results.
:)

Well done--yours is funnier (but more subtle) than mine.

Love it!

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

wacosaki wrote:
Chik fil a rules
Yep. Chik fil a does have rules.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/approved-open-...
Imhotep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
I especially like comedians that can get their material broadcast on TV. Some are clean (degree of difficulty big time) like Bill Cosby or Sinbad, but getting the double entendre past the censors is even funnier.
Examples include old game shows, like the Match Game or Paul Lynde on the Hollywood squares. And Arrested Development... wow.
Buddy Hackett on the old Johnny Carson show
Would suck Johnny into a joke that became dirty only with the punchline. Example of Buddy...

"the Lone Ranger is captured by outlaws and given a last wish

the Lone Ranger asks for his horse

the outlaws grant to wish but find it rather odd

The Ranger shouts Hi-yo Silver and away!
the outlaws look at one another what did you do that for?

The lone says Give him a minute giving he'll be back

Sure enough silver comes back with a beautiful blond in the saddle

The lone looks disdainfully at silver and says I said ' posse' stupid!"

Johnny about fell off the chair. ;)

But he was working Vegas at the time

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Buddy Hackett on the old Johnny Carson show
Would suck Johnny into a joke that became dirty only with the punchline. Example of Buddy...
"the Lone Ranger is captured by outlaws and given a last wish
the Lone Ranger asks for his horse
the outlaws grant to wish but find it rather odd
The Ranger shouts Hi-yo Silver and away!
the outlaws look at one another what did you do that for?
The lone says Give him a minute giving he'll be back
Sure enough silver comes back with a beautiful blond in the saddle
The lone looks disdainfully at silver and says I said ' posse' stupid!"
Johnny about fell off the chair. ;)
But he was working Vegas at the time
Oh yeah, Buddy Hackett, that sweet, innocently looking guy from the Disney movies...

had one of the most vulgar, perverted live comedy routines. The juxtaposition itself is comedy.
Imhotep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah, Buddy Hackett, that sweet, innocently looking guy from the Disney movies...
had one of the most vulgar, perverted live comedy routines. The juxtaposition itself is comedy.
Yes buddy was working Vegas at that time and his act was strictly X-rated.

He and Johnny enjoyed an ongoing battle with his use of these jokes on the Carson interview's.

Disney preferred cherub faced characters like buddy

By the way isnt Disney World a people trap built by a mouse?
Imhotep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

~~~\\\\|||
~~(@@)
~oOo--O--oOo
SANFORD’S COMEBACK GIVES HOPE TO LIARS

CHARLESTON, S.C.(The Borowitz Report)—Former South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford’s stunning upset in a special congressional election on Tuesday served as an inspiration to liars across the state and beyond, prominent members of the lying community said tonight.

“In America, liars are always made to feel bad about ourselves, as if what we’re doing is wrong,” said Harland Dorrinson, fifty-seven, a liar from suburban Charleston.“Mark Sanford’s victory tonight is a victory for the lying lifestyle.”

Carol Foyler, thirty-six, a liar from Myrtle Beach, echoed those sentiments:“For the millions of dishonest children across America, tonight Mark Sanford has given them hope that someday, they can be somebody.”

At his victory rally in Charleston, the former governor acknowledged the liars in the audience and said that his victory sent an important message:“Every lie, no matter how big or small, has value.”

“As your Governor, I abused your trust. And as God is my witness, as your congressman, I will abuse it again,” he said, to thunderous applause.

Mr. Sanford, who had been behind in the polls in the waning weeks of the race, owed much of his last-minute surge to the support of the lying community, exit polls showed.

According to those exit polls, Mr. Sanford held a three-to-one lead among voters who described themselves as liars, cheaters, or sleazebags.

Furthermore, the polls showed, those same voters felt that Mr. Sanford’s opponent, Elizabeth Colbert Busch, did not have the lying experience necessary to serve in Congress.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. Chik fil a does have rules.
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/approved-open-...
Holy shyt, Batman! What a nutcase company!

I knew they were bigots-- I had no idea they were THIS much of a bigoted enterprise.

Wow... disgusting.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
~~~\\\\|||
~~(@@)
~oOo--O--oOo
SANFORD’S COMEBACK GIVES HOPE TO LIARS
CHARLESTON, S.C.(The Borowitz Report)—Former South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford’s stunning upset in a special congressional election on Tuesday served as an inspiration to liars across the state and beyond, prominent members of the lying community said tonight.
“In America, liars are always made to feel bad about ourselves, as if what we’re doing is wrong,” said Harland Dorrinson, fifty-seven, a liar from suburban Charleston.“Mark Sanford’s victory tonight is a victory for the lying lifestyle.”
Carol Foyler, thirty-six, a liar from Myrtle Beach, echoed those sentiments:“For the millions of dishonest children across America, tonight Mark Sanford has given them hope that someday, they can be somebody.”
At his victory rally in Charleston, the former governor acknowledged the liars in the audience and said that his victory sent an important message:“Every lie, no matter how big or small, has value.”
“As your Governor, I abused your trust. And as God is my witness, as your congressman, I will abuse it again,” he said, to thunderous applause.
Mr. Sanford, who had been behind in the polls in the waning weeks of the race, owed much of his last-minute surge to the support of the lying community, exit polls showed.
According to those exit polls, Mr. Sanford held a three-to-one lead among voters who described themselves as liars, cheaters, or sleazebags.
Furthermore, the polls showed, those same voters felt that Mr. Sanford’s opponent, Elizabeth Colbert Busch, did not have the lying experience necessary to serve in Congress.
That was quite funny... until I re-read it a second time.

Then?

I realized it was so close to reality, that I nearly cried...

;)

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

<quoted text>
Holy shyt, Batman! What a nutcase company!
I knew they were bigots-- I had no idea they were THIS much of a bigoted enterprise.
Wow... disgusting.
Nor I. Apparently, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and Buddhists need not apply, much less atheists or even nominal Christians. It's hard to see how this does not fall afoul of the various civil rights acts--could they exclude people on racial grounds as well? I suppose so, since civil rights laws apply equally to race, religion, sex, and national origin. If you can legally exclude any, you should be able to exclude all.

How do they get away with these policies?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor I. Apparently, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and Buddhists need not apply, much less atheists or even nominal Christians. It's hard to see how this does not fall afoul of the various civil rights acts--could they exclude people on racial grounds as well? I suppose so, since civil rights laws apply equally to race, religion, sex, and national origin. If you can legally exclude any, you should be able to exclude all.
How do they get away with these policies?
How indeed-- a franchise owner is not, typically, subject to the ordinary employment rules-- they are self-employed entrepreneurs.

The employees of Chuck-All-Gays, however do have rights-- and the company has been on the losing end of several lawsuits. It always settles out of court, at least so far...
Imhotep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

<quoted text>
That was quite funny... until I re-read it a second time.
Then?
I realized it was so close to reality, that I nearly cried...
;)
There's more truth and fiction in that.

This horrible case in Cleveland is truly sad
Here's an interesting situation
News has it that the kidnapper punched his victim in order to induce an miscarriage - Same victim five times

I expect them to charge him with five counts of murder of the fetuses

What a conundrum

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
There's more truth and fiction in that.
This horrible case in Cleveland is truly sad
Here's an interesting situation
News has it that the kidnapper punched his victim in order to induce an miscarriage - Same victim five times
I expect them to charge him with five counts of murder of the fetuses
What a conundrum
In a Just universe, he'd become a captive to someone with an IQ of a brick, and the demeanor of a gorilla on PMS...

... alas, the Universe is not Just.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

<quoted text>
Whereas we are on the cusp of that oft-mentioned "singularity"?
We are still missing the most important "black box" that SciFi writers always included in their machines: ultra-compact, super-dense power supplies.
Remember Terminator 3? He had what amounted to a miniature fusion reactor in his chest... as a BACK UP.
We don't have those-- we are not even CLOSE to having those.
The >>best<< we have? Is Lithium-Ion batteries....
... so no worries: if the Terminator robot is chasing you?
.... wait. His batteries WILL run down in an hour or two.
:D
SciFi has always played 'hard and fast' with power supplies ... by necessity. Lithium-Ion sounds futuristic but can not be relied upon in your leaf blower much less your hovercraft or self-aware world dominating super-computer system.

"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp!" <Robert Browning>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
SciFi has always played 'hard and fast' with power supplies ... by necessity. Lithium-Ion sounds futuristic but can not be relied upon in your leaf blower much less your hovercraft or self-aware world dominating super-computer system.
"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp!" <Robert Browning>
Yep. Even if there were a LiIon-powered robot? Anyone who uses tools powered by these things for a living (I do) can tell you even the littlest bit of excess heat-- far less than what harms the electric motor (for example), will kill the battery in minutes.

So.

If a robot is stalking you trying to kill you? Set it on fire-- the LiIon battery will die, rendering the robot inert.

Sarah Conner would have been quite safe, the instant the T1 robot got caught in the gasoline fire...

... <heh>
Brian

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2013

NW Hominid wrote:
We've found the biggest hippocrits are christians, convert or die unsavaged...
Hypocrites...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

14 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 18 min Aura Mytha 224,571
Atheists on the march in America (Aug '09) 32 min CunningLinguist 70,962
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 1 hr Reason Personified 27
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Reason Personified 255
Introducing The Universal Religion 3 hr Patrick 737
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 3 hr Patrick 397
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr fadu singh 21,406
•••
•••