Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

May 5, 2011 Full story: Free Republic 5,963

'RELIGION SHOULD BE TREATED WITH RIDICULE, HATRED AND CONTEMPT' Atheism, or 'antitheism,' which was once considered taboo in America, has gone somewhat mainstream in today's society.

Full Story

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5619 Apr 26, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
They have so many other problems to address with their new wealth, I'd be surprised if they spend much of it re-inventing the wheel. Their hardware seems impressive though. The real shame is not inviting them to participate in the ISS or other international cooperative projects. Space exploration needs to be a 'human effort' above and beyond politics.
Oh, absolutely I agree-- humanity needs to put aside their petting squabbles, and go cooperative with space.

I know from the various personal anecdotes of astronauts, they all feel that way-- in space, everyone is human first.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#5620 Apr 26, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
I would hazard a guess that "Pay to Play" is a major problem in China.
And this butts heads with the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Any US business operating in China has to be skilled at disguising the expected bribes as not a bribe.
But I wouldn't be surprised that the FCPA has teeth only when trying to take down the lesser campaign contributor.
Guanxi

You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

Yeah, a lot of stuff in China revolves around that and it doesn't sit well with the way we do business in the west.

Trouble is, I don't think China is too worried about how we do things, as they're off forging their own alliances and to hell with the west.

Where we once led, we may well be in danger of becoming little more than observers.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#5621 Apr 26, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
They have so many other problems to address with their new wealth, I'd be surprised if they spend much of it re-inventing the wheel. Their hardware seems impressive though. The real shame is not inviting them to participate in the ISS or other international cooperative projects. Space exploration needs to be a 'human effort' above and beyond politics.
They also skip a lot of stuff that we went through.

Rewind about 240 years to the Lancashire cotton mills and you'll see the start of the Industrial Revolution. It soon swept the western world and we moved forward in a blaze of manufacturing, innovation and invention. When the dust had finally settled on the Industrial Revolution a hundred years went by before the we embarked on what people are beginning to call the Technological Revolution.

Go to China and you'll see both the Industrial and Technological Revolutions happening simultaneously - it's scary. China is moving fast and they're skipping stages of development that we went through. Take telephones: we had years of using landlines with phone cables networking the country before the advent of cellphones. Now cellphones are eclipsing landlines. In China, they pretty much skipped landline phones and went straight to cellphone usage. Cheque books is another one: we used cheque books for years before ATM machines and debit/credit cards became widespread. China has completely bypassed the use of cheque books.

Anyway, to get to the point. I think it's safe to say that our innovation was at it's best when we had a strong manufacturing base. To me innovation and manufacturing go together. Our manufacturing base is nothing like it was - it's all gone east. Not just to China but also to India. I really feel that in the years to come most innovation and new ideas will be coming from the east.

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#5622 Apr 28, 2013
Because to be a good little acolyte you must do what the *Horsemen*(talk about delusions of grandeur) tell you to.

" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Atheism" ;

IOWs, it makes the feel useful to be pawns of ego-maniacal twits.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5623 Apr 28, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
Because to be a good little acolyte you must do what the *Horsemen*(talk about delusions of grandeur) tell you to.
More stalking from the $2 wh...

... pitiful.
Thinking

Blandford Forum, UK

#5624 Apr 29, 2013
Straw man typotard.
nanoanomaly wrote:

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#5625 Apr 29, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
oh look the little troll twit is back for more embarassment...
Lincoln

United States

#5626 Apr 30, 2013
I didn't get a toy train like the other kids. I got a toy subway instead. You
couldn't see anything, but every now and then you'd hear this rumbling noise go
by.-- Steven Wright

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#5627 Apr 30, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
I didn't get a toy train like the other kids. I got a toy subway instead. You
couldn't see anything, but every now and then you'd hear this rumbling noise go
by.-- Steven Wright
Couldn't your god manage a rumble? Some evidence would be nice after THE ENTIRE DAWN OF RECORDED HISTORY.

Lies get tiring after a while theist troll.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#5628 May 6, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... Perhaps you've seen it?
I went to this restaurant last night that was set up like a big buffet in the shape of an Ouija board. You'd think about what kind of food you want, and the table would move across the floor to it.
Thanks to my buddy Steven Wright
Steven Wright cracks me up. You need to be a flexible thinker with a bit of a well rounded education to pick up on his material of the absurd.

I don't think he'd do well in front of an evangelical audience.

And he did not do well in front of David Letterman's audience a few years back either.

Nehwon

#5629 May 6, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Guanxi
You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.
Yeah, a lot of stuff in China revolves around that and it doesn't sit well with the way we do business in the west.
Trouble is, I don't think China is too worried about how we do things, as they're off forging their own alliances and to hell with the west.
Where we once led, we may well be in danger of becoming little more than observers.
And pretty much the definition of political corruption. Except there, it infiltrates every level of government.

Imagine the outrage if you had to bribe the border guard a few bucks to have a smooth re-entry after going abroad. Or bribing the driver's license office personnel so you don't have to take all the tests like this was your first time applying.

And you are right about China. They are getting big enough, they don't have to kowtow (heh) to the west anymore. The US had a golden age back after WW2 as most every other countries were devastated.

Now the US has to actually compete for global resources to satisfy our demand and we're not adjusting too well to that. The US auto industry learned that the hard way in the 1970's and 80's.

Empires rise, empires fall. History of the world.

Nehwon

#5630 May 6, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn't your god manage a rumble? Some evidence would be nice after THE ENTIRE DAWN OF RECORDED HISTORY.
Lies get tiring after a while theist troll.
The sad thing is Lincoln posted an off-topic joke from Steven Wright that didn't have anything to do with theism.

And yet, here you are attacking based, I'm guessing, on the poster.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5631 May 6, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Steven Wright cracks me up. You need to be a flexible thinker with a bit of a well rounded education to pick up on his material of the absurd.
And he did not do well in front of David Letterman's audience a few years back either.
That's not really surprising, Wright's observational humor requires the ability to see things from his perspective.

Not something your average theist is really very good at.

“My hand is over my crotch.”

Since: Jan 10

It's time to put it to use

#5632 May 7, 2013
Khatru wrote:
Because Christianity is a funny belief system
Agreed.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5633 May 7, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
They also skip a lot of stuff that we went through.
Rewind about 240 years to the Lancashire cotton mills and you'll see the start of the Industrial Revolution. It soon swept the western world and we moved forward in a blaze of manufacturing, innovation and invention. When the dust had finally settled on the Industrial Revolution a hundred years went by before the we embarked on what people are beginning to call the Technological Revolution.
Go to China and you'll see both the Industrial and Technological Revolutions happening simultaneously - it's scary. China is moving fast and they're skipping stages of development that we went through. Take telephones: we had years of using landlines with phone cables networking the country before the advent of cellphones. Now cellphones are eclipsing landlines. In China, they pretty much skipped landline phones and went straight to cellphone usage. Cheque books is another one: we used cheque books for years before ATM machines and debit/credit cards became widespread. China has completely bypassed the use of cheque books.
Anyway, to get to the point. I think it's safe to say that our innovation was at it's best when we had a strong manufacturing base. To me innovation and manufacturing go together. Our manufacturing base is nothing like it was - it's all gone east. Not just to China but also to India. I really feel that in the years to come most innovation and new ideas will be coming from the east.
Absolutely. Humans tweak, fine-tune and 'innovate' in anything they're involved in. Throw some 'lazy' in there and you have a very effective innovation generating process. Losing our manufacturing base is so self-defeating that it almost seems to be deliberately destructive, but that's just the 'conspiracy nut' side of me talking. I'm sure it's just all driven by economics, but you'd think SOMEBODY would look at long-term effects and make decisions based upon what's good for the country or community. Isn't that what our 'government' is supposed to do?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5634 May 7, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely. Humans tweak, fine-tune and 'innovate' in anything they're involved in. Throw some 'lazy' in there and you have a very effective innovation generating process. Losing our manufacturing base is so self-defeating that it almost seems to be deliberately destructive, but that's just the 'conspiracy nut' side of me talking. I'm sure it's just all driven by economics, but you'd think SOMEBODY would look at long-term effects and make decisions based upon what's good for the country or community. Isn't that what our 'government' is supposed to do?
Yes-- our government is supposed to represent the interests of it's citizens.

Alas, the current gub'ment is ONLY representative of corporations-- and hoping to join the top 1% club, of course.

Look at the net worth of your typical congressman/senator in 2000, and then again in 2013-- see who has tripled or ten-fold increased their net worth.

And you'll see a greedy b*stard who isn't representing anything.

“My hand is over my crotch.”

Since: Jan 10

It's time to put it to use

#5635 May 8, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes-- our government is supposed to represent the interests of it's citizens.
Alas, the current gub'ment is ONLY representative of corporations-- and hoping to join the top 1% club, of course.
Look at the net worth of your typical congressman/senator in 2000, and then again in 2013-- see who has tripled or ten-fold increased their net worth.
And you'll see a greedy b*stard who isn't representing anything.
Don't forger that the church has a lot of influence as well. That is why they don't pay taxes.
Imhotep

Riverview, FL

#5636 May 8, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Lewis Black Richard Pryor George Carlin Robin Williams Bill Hicks, Lenny Bruce even Bob Newhart in the old days Had good material on society.

I have always enjoyed sarcasm
I enjoy laughing
In particular at some of these silly posters. ;)

Maybe theists could try Homeopathy to fix their irrational belief in things that have no scientific basis?

Texas, USA

#5637 May 8, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Lewis Black Richard Pryor George Carlin Robin Williams Bill Hicks, Lenny Bruce even Bob Newhart in the old days Had good material on society.
I have always enjoyed sarcasm
I enjoy laughing
In particular at some of these silly posters. ;)
Maybe theists could try Homeopathy to fix their irrational belief in things that have no scientific basis?
Maybe crack-o-practers can snap 'em out of it!

Texas, USA

#5638 May 8, 2013
Dang ... meant 'quack-o-practor' ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 3 hr Richardfs 181
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 hr Richardfs 233,230
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 6 hr woodtick57 2,632
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 15 hr Morse 23,279
faith & pride 16 hr geezerjock 1
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 18 hr _Bad Company 214
Pastor who gave up God for a year after getting... 19 hr thetruth 3
More from around the web