Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

There are 6129 comments on the Free Republic story from May 5, 2011, titled Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?. In it, Free Republic reports that:

'RELIGION SHOULD BE TREATED WITH RIDICULE, HATRED AND CONTEMPT' Atheism, or 'antitheism,' which was once considered taboo in America, has gone somewhat mainstream in today's society.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Free Republic.

Imhotep

United States

#5541 Apr 20, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
You're sound. As they say round these parts!
I spent a year in Dublin - had a great time.
We colonials me in particular appreciate our grand British heritage

We travel quite a bit now go back and forth to either Amsterdam or Pompeii(Naples)

The Chunnel was interesting. High-speed rail is superb in Europe we should take a lesson

Have you ever been to the USA?
Lincoln

United States

#5542 Apr 20, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice ones - here are another couple:
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
-Albert Einstein
I particularly like this one - taken from a letter Einstein wrote shortly before he died....
"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.
"No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1951333/Einst...
they teach geography in your neck of the woods?

The

Country

of

Muslim ?
All Will Suffer

Anonymous Proxy

#5543 Apr 20, 2013
tired topic needs to be revitalized by some stupid folk considering ownself genius
Lincoln

United States

#5544 Apr 20, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice ones - here are another couple:
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
-Albert Einstein
I particularly like this one - taken from a letter Einstein wrote shortly before he died....
"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.
"No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1951333/Einst...
Tell us a bit more about the

Country call Muslim :-)

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5545 Apr 20, 2013
James wrote:
<quoted text>
So now an unbeliever is preaching the bible. You sure do think the world of yourself, lol. You shouldn't worry about what I do, with your brain you have enough to worry about.
Indeed--- I all too often have to school you idiots in your >>own<< book!

I find that you hypocrites have not actually >>read<< your own book at all!

This is hardly surprising-- reading the bible tends to make people lose all their faith, and become ....

.... atheists.

So I can understand why you'd have a near-total ignorance of your own bible...
Lincoln

United States

#5546 Apr 20, 2013
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5547 Apr 20, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Yes. When I think of this..
http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/ghwbush.h...
and 'you're with us or against us'(Bush43), one wonders if there is anything too stupid for a US politician to say.(That's not to say British ones are better).
Thanks to Inhotep for this...
"... Andy Borowitz here's his link enjoy ;)"
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowit...
Jon Stewart can be funny too but seems rather lame these days. He should ditch John Oliver
JMHO
(I read most replies - eventually :)
Yes.. the classical fail of "either-or-ism"....

... as if the entire sum of all reality is binary.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#5548 Apr 20, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
We colonials me in particular appreciate our grand British heritage
We travel quite a bit now go back and forth to either Amsterdam or Pompeii(Naples)
The Chunnel was interesting. High-speed rail is superb in Europe we should take a lesson
Have you ever been to the USA?
The French and Swiss have some good railways.

So do the Chinese - they're modernising fast.

==========

To my shame, I've never been further west than the coast of County Clare. A situation I plan to remedy when I retire when I plan to take a good 18-24 months to go round the world. I've got quite a few friends in the states to see(some go back a long way).

They're in:

Manchester, Vermont; Birmingham, Michigan, Pasadena, California & San Francisco; Roselle Park, New Jersey; Sarasota, Florida, Canaan, New York, The Dalles, Oregon and some other places I can't recall.

Most of my travels have been in the Far East - particularly China and the Philippines.

Have also visited Australia.
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5549 Apr 20, 2013
EdSed wrote:
There is no proof of any Abrahamic god(s), nor any of these..
http://www.godchecker.com/
Religion = superstition.
It really is as simple as that. Religion is divisive and nothing but trouble. It's time it was seen for what it is.
Are you 100% sure of this. If so, where is your proof?
To a selfish brain, you're right, lol.
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5550 Apr 20, 2013
Mr Smartypants wrote:
<quoted text>
No, actually it's because we follow the commandments of the Church of the Subgenius.
1. Thou shallt mock superstitious morons.
2. Thou shallt spark up a doobie daily.
3. Thou shallt make up whatever commandments thou chooseth.
In other words you have the same thought patterns as a terrorist.
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5551 Apr 20, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, you don't disagree with him!
You think you disagree but you are mistaken.
You're simply experiencing an illusion caused by the limits of your comprehension.
If you were able to fully comprehend both the problem and recommended solution, you would agree.
So what appears to be a difference of opinion is just you wrestling with your own defective brain.
Example of defective brain
I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.-- George Herbert Walker Bush
Yeah right moron. You're the ones whose brains can't care about other people because that part of your brain is defective. You aren't superior to anyone, you're nothing.
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5552 Apr 20, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
Evangelical atheists are positive that there is no afterlife yet they spend that only life on threads trolling people.:-)
Thats because all they're really capable of is sitting around talking. Just like their ancestor monkeys. Monkeys probably sit around and talk about the same things: I'm a better monkey than you!, ooh ooh ... ahh ahhhh!
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5553 Apr 20, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Here we go again...
Another feeble attempt to associate Einstein with religion
Hmm. Lincoln you should know better
Shall I explain for you?
Let's let Einstein do the talking shall we
"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." ~Albert Einstein
"Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true.... Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me." ~Albert Einstein
"I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it." ~Albert Einstein
"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism." ~Albert Einstein
And I saved the best for last... LOL
"He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice."
-Albert Einstein
Thats why Einstein stuck to light bulbs. He couldn't figure religion out.
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5554 Apr 20, 2013
Well, I guess not light bulbs, but photon theory. He stuck with science since he couldn't figure religion out.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5555 Apr 20, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The French and Swiss have some good railways.
So do the Chinese - they're modernising fast.
==========
To my shame, I've never been further west than the coast of County Clare. A situation I plan to remedy when I retire when I plan to take a good 18-24 months to go round the world. I've got quite a few friends in the states to see(some go back a long way).
They're in:
Manchester, Vermont; Birmingham, Michigan, Pasadena, California & San Francisco; Roselle Park, New Jersey; Sarasota, Florida, Canaan, New York, The Dalles, Oregon and some other places I can't recall.
Most of my travels have been in the Far East - particularly China and the Philippines.
Have also visited Australia.
In fact, the Chinese are modernizing so fast, that China will soon out-compete the USA in petroleum use, and automobile purchases.

Interesting times.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5556 Apr 20, 2013
James wrote:
Well, I guess not light bulbs, but photon theory. He stuck with science since he couldn't figure religion out.
Naaah... Einstein figured religion out when he was a boy-- he figured that it was all bullshyt, and not worth the bother.

I'm sorry for your loss, though. Did it hurt, when the doctors disconnected your brains?
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#5557 Apr 20, 2013
James wrote:
Please continue posting. Every one of your posts gives birth to another atheist......
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5558 Apr 20, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed--- I all too often have to school you idiots in your >>own<< book!
I find that you hypocrites have not actually >>read<< your own book at all!
This is hardly surprising-- reading the bible tends to make people lose all their faith, and become ....
.... atheists.
So I can understand why you'd have a near-total ignorance of your own bible...
How are you going to school anyone when you don't know anything yourself? lol. Selfish brains like yours are the ones that don't work. I can understand why you would assume that you're the smarter one, your brain needs that satisfaction. And obviously, it needs it constantly, like a baby needs milk. lol
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5559 Apr 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Naaah... Einstein figured religion out when he was a boy-- he figured that it was all bullshyt, and not worth the bother.
I'm sorry for your loss, though. Did it hurt, when the doctors disconnected your brains?
Wow, very convincing. Einstein didn't know jack shit about religion.
You wish the doctors would disconnect my brain. Then you might have an advantage over me. Or at least, then you could actually believe that you're better than me. Seeing as that's all you selfish brained people seek. lol

What's even more intriguing is how when you were a baby, your brain was probably quite normal. How did half of it quit working?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#5560 Apr 20, 2013
<quoted text>
In fact, the Chinese are modernizing so fast, that China will soon out-compete the USA in petroleum use, and automobile purchases.
Interesting times.
I sometimes think that the last three hundred years have been a bit of a blip for China.

Prior to that they were the most advanced nation on earth.

Now they may just be on their way back.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 16 min Liam R 9,135
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 59 min Uncle Sam 242,936
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Brian_G 19,732
Should atheists have the burden of proof? 7 hr Thinking 15
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 19 hr DanFromSmithville 6,157
Atheists have morals too! Sun par five 3
News Atheism 101: The anti-intellectualism of religion Sun QUITTNER Jne 28 2015 53
More from around the web