Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

May 5, 2011 Full story: Free Republic 5,945

'RELIGION SHOULD BE TREATED WITH RIDICULE, HATRED AND CONTEMPT' Atheism, or 'antitheism,' which was once considered taboo in America, has gone somewhat mainstream in today's society.

Full Story

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#5519 Apr 19, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree that we need national unity and taking care of American citizens with a safety net.
Peace
And now to put a bee in your bonnet...

US citizens have rights outlined in the Constitution. But with those rights, you also have a responsibility. Classic example is the right to free speech (give your opinion) but a responsibility not to cause panic (yelling "Fire" in a movie theater).

Does Constitutional guarantees extend to those who are not US citizens but are in US jurisdiction?

Nehwon

#5520 Apr 19, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
"Bob" has proved atheism by the number of his posts.
The Pope this morning announced that the R C church will disband and Baptists announced they will dance.
Heh. Don't think the RC church will go that far, but damned if this new Pope ain't shaking things up a bit. It'll be interesting to see if a Jesuit can reform the church or whether he'll have a "severe allergic reaction to arsenic in his dinner" in a few months or years.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5521 Apr 19, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't quite agree with the "far more of the founding authors of the Constitution would've come out as full-on atheist" there. Prior to the US, the colonies did have state sponsored religions.
Maryland was Catholic, Pennsylvania was Quaker, Massachusetts was Puritan, Rhode Island was a splinter group from Massachusetts. Virginia was Baptist. and so on.
So yes, the founding of the US was primarily by Christians, but the freedom of religion clause was thrown in there because none of them would agree to which flavor should be the national religion lest their particular brand not be the dominant one.
In a way, you could say it was a cinematic version of a Mexican stand-off. Whoever shot first to take dominance would surely die.
Well, not long after it was ratified, there was a strong move to re-edit the preamble to the Constitution, worded in such a way that only protestant-christians would qualify as citizen, catholics, jews, ect, need not apply.

It was strongly rejected, though-- the effort being led by Jefferson (as I recall). The new wording would have included the words "jesus christ" among other pure-christian idiocy.

That says to me, that Jefferson and the others were more interested in keeping it secular, not religious.

So I think I was correct: had it not been politically suicidal to be full-on atheist, I suspect many would have been.

Then there is the habit of culture, which had a strong influence too.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5522 Apr 19, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh. Don't think the RC church will go that far, but damned if this new Pope ain't shaking things up a bit. It'll be interesting to see if a Jesuit can reform the church or whether he'll have a "severe allergic reaction to arsenic in his dinner" in a few months or years.
I must admit that the old pope is still alive and kicking-- I really thought he'd be found dead in his sleep "of natural causes" as is the tradition.

The new pope may be successful, or not-- it'll be hard to tell, as one thing they won't do, is stop gathering huge piles of cash-money from around the world...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5523 Apr 19, 2013
.... meh...

I must admit I was >>surprised<< that the old pope is still alive...

... need a short-term editing feature for Topix...

Nehwon

#5524 Apr 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, not long after it was ratified, there was a strong move to re-edit the preamble to the Constitution, worded in such a way that only protestant-christians would qualify as citizen, catholics, jews, ect, need not apply.
It was strongly rejected, though-- the effort being led by Jefferson (as I recall). The new wording would have included the words "jesus christ" among other pure-christian idiocy.
That says to me, that Jefferson and the others were more interested in keeping it secular, not religious.
So I think I was correct: had it not been politically suicidal to be full-on atheist, I suspect many would have been.
Then there is the habit of culture, which had a strong influence too.
And that attempt of rewriting would not be surprising considering the religion was a foundation of power for quite some time.

The really easy counter to that is - "Okay. Let's make this nation a Roman Catholic* nation."

But there were some influential Deists in there. And Jefferson was certainly an interesting person. I don't think any of the Founding Fathers, devout Christian or not, wanted to see the same thing that was happening in Europe in their recent past and present to happen in the new world.

*Substitute any flavor of Christianity they don't like here.

Nehwon

#5525 Apr 19, 2013
<quoted text>
I must admit that the old pope is still alive and kicking-- I really thought he'd be found dead in his sleep "of natural causes" as is the tradition.
The new pope may be successful, or not-- it'll be hard to tell, as one thing they won't do, is stop gathering huge piles of cash-money from around the world...
I have to admit - a pope resigning?!? pretty extraordinary thing there. And then an outsider Jesuit being elected?

Given the choice there, I would have bet on alien invasion in my lifetime.

Interesting times, indeed.
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5526 Apr 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Again, no argument in support of your batshyt insanity (faith in god).
Sad.
Wow, is that how open your mind is to other beliefs. You're the one who's insane. No argument in support of your innate insanity.
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5527 Apr 20, 2013
<quoted text>
I see you are also afraid of these... "commandments".
Especially the one about not judging others...
.....hypocrite, much?
Yes... yes you are a hypocrite.
What else is new?
Still no proof of a god, though.
So now an unbeliever is preaching the bible. You sure do think the world of yourself, lol. You shouldn't worry about what I do, with your brain you have enough to worry about.
James

Kalamazoo, MI

#5528 Apr 20, 2013
Mr Smartypants wrote:
<quoted text>
No, actually it's because we follow the commandments of the Church of the Subgenius.
1. Thou shallt mock superstitious morons.
2. Thou shallt spark up a doobie daily.
3. Thou shallt make up whatever commandments thou chooseth.
Yeah, I can tell that your brain cells have deteriorated due to drugs. And when your brain is deteriorated, you think its the other people that are superstitious morons, lol.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#5529 Apr 20, 2013
There is no proof of any Abrahamic god(s), nor any of these..
http://www.godchecker.com/

Religion = superstition.
It really is as simple as that. Religion is divisive and nothing but trouble. It's time it was seen for what it is.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#5530 Apr 20, 2013
James wrote:
Why do they ridicule Christianity?
Their condition is called commandment-phobia.
That'll be commandments like "Honour your father and mother"

Right?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#5531 Apr 20, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Canada is not doing that well economically as of late.
Do like Canadians and Australians
BTW President Obama sent No One to Maggie's funeral!
Good call by Pres Obama in my opinion Lincoln. I lived through those times and regard Maggie as a necessary evil and the lesser of two evils. The waste of Parliamentary time and public money on a state funeral that looked bigger than Churchill (a figure of national unity) looks very much like a Tory celebration of the most demeaning and insulting kind. The foolish Conservatives turned a nominal state funeral into a de-facto party-political celebration. Any US president (of either hue) is better out of it.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#5532 Apr 20, 2013
<quoted text>
It's supposed to be satire, true.
Alas, it's too close to the actual thing, to be as funny as it could have been...
Yes. When I think of this..
http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/ghwbush.h...
and 'you're with us or against us'(Bush43), one wonders if there is anything too stupid for a US politician to say.(That's not to say British ones are better).
Thanks to Inhotep for this...
"... Andy Borowitz here's his link enjoy ;)"
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowit...
Jon Stewart can be funny too but seems rather lame these days. He should ditch John Oliver
JMHO

(I read most replies - eventually :)
Lincoln

United States

#5533 Apr 20, 2013
Republicans protect billionaires from the wishes of the American people.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#5534 Apr 20, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
Republicans protect billionaires from the wishes of the American people.
Creationists like yourself are neocon nutjobs who couldn't argue their way out of a paper bag.
Lincoln

United States

#5535 Apr 20, 2013
Evangelical atheists are positive that there is no afterlife yet they spend that only life on threads trolling people. :-)
Imhotep

United States

#5536 Apr 20, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
We noticed that with
your first ten thousand posts.
Keep posting and see
if you can get up to 12 in a minute.
“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.”
Albert Einstein
Here we go again...

Another feeble attempt to associate Einstein with religion

Hmm. Lincoln you should know better

Shall I explain for you?

Let's let Einstein do the talking shall we

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." ~Albert Einstein

"Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true.... Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me." ~Albert Einstein

"I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it." ~Albert Einstein

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism." ~Albert Einstein

And I saved the best for last... LOL

"He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice."
-Albert Einstein

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#5537 Apr 20, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Here we go again...

Another feeble attempt to associate Einstein with religion

Hmm. Lincoln you should know better

Shall I explain for you?

Let's let Einstein do the talking shall we

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." ~Albert Einstein
"Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true.... Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me." ~Albert Einstein

"I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it." ~Albert Einstein

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism." ~Albert Einstein

And I saved the best for last... LOL

"He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice."
-Albert Einstein
Nice ones - here are another couple:

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
-Albert Einstein

I particularly like this one - taken from a letter Einstein wrote shortly before he died....

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.
"No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1951333/Einst...
Imhotep

United States

#5538 Apr 20, 2013
James wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I can tell that your brain cells have deteriorated due to drugs. And when your brain is deteriorated, you think its the other people that are superstitious morons, lol.

Actually, you don't disagree with him!

You think you disagree but you are mistaken.

You're simply experiencing an illusion caused by the limits of your comprehension.

If you were able to fully comprehend both the problem and recommended solution, you would agree.

So what appears to be a difference of opinion is just you wrestling with your own defective brain.

Example of defective brain

I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.-- George Herbert Walker Bush

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 13 min woodtick57 1,021
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 29 min Eagle 12 231,913
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr Pahu 1,422
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 18 hr thetruth 14,445
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 18 hr thetruth 25
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 22 hr Catholic Girl 27
Why the Internet is slowly strangling religion Tue Dally Mama 3

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE