Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

May 5, 2011 Full story: Free Republic 5,943

'RELIGION SHOULD BE TREATED WITH RIDICULE, HATRED AND CONTEMPT' Atheism, or 'antitheism,' which was once considered taboo in America, has gone somewhat mainstream in today's society.

Full Story

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#5234 Mar 27, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
how do theists become this openly stupid? It is a mystery. Sometimes I wish I had the shamelessness that theists have, its must be chanelled from a deeper source of ignorance.
If they weren't stupid they wouldn't be theists.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#5235 Mar 27, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt. After all, ignorance is the only path to their eternal salvation. Why risk your eternal soul absorbing a few facts?
Knowledge will be the death of religion.
Thinking

Mirfield, UK

#5236 Mar 27, 2013
I don't know, but where there is blind devotion, innocents get hurt.
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
how do theists become this openly stupid? It is a mystery. Sometimes I wish I had the shamelessness that theists have, its must be chanelled from a deeper source of ignorance.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#5237 Mar 27, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Theology has no place in the Public School System. It would represent the open wound through which the virii of religion would invade the body politic.
Then we are going to have to remove all of those books by Homer, Dante, and Herodotus. Not to mention The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan among others.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#5238 Mar 27, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Then we are going to have to remove all of those books by Homer, Dante, and Herodotus. Not to mention The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan among others.
Perhaps it's because no one tries to tell us that these books are for real and that we should look to them for our science.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5239 Mar 27, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Then we are going to have to remove all of those books by Homer, Dante, and Herodotus. Not to mention The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan among others.
I was thinking more like it (theology) being inappropriate as a course, right up there with reading, riting and rithmetic. Not as banning classic literature from their rightful place in English or History classes. We are trying, after all, to inoculate students with the 3R's, leave the theology to the parents. Of course, I may have a poor understanding of what a 'theology' course would entail. An impartial and objective look at the damage the various religions have caused Mankind wouldn't be bad, I suppose.

Nottingham, UK

#5240 Mar 27, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I was thinking more like it (theology) being inappropriate as a course, right up there with reading, riting and rithmetic. Not as banning classic literature from their rightful place in English or History classes. We are trying, after all, to inoculate students with the 3R's, leave the theology to the parents. Of course, I may have a poor understanding of what a 'theology' course would entail. An impartial and objective look at the damage the various religions have caused Mankind wouldn't be bad, I suppose.
That's about the size of it.

Maths books belong in mathematics classes, history books in history classes, science books in science classes, etc.

Religious books (Bible, Quran, Gita, etc) belong in religious classes where no one religion is taught to the exclusion of all others.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#5241 Mar 28, 2013
JordanUTT wrote:
<quoted text>
So basically, what you mean by this is that it's impossible for anyone of faith to believe that science is true?
Interesting interpretation on that quote.

You can have a leap of faith off a cliff that you can fly. Gravity doesn't care what you believe.

But that leap of faith would get you to heaven sooner now, wouldn't it?

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#5242 Mar 28, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Knowledge will be the death of religion.
But knowledge is religion.

“In God we trust”

Cape Town, South Africa

#5243 Mar 28, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
If they weren't stupid they wouldn't be theists.
That's one of the characteristics of a atheist
Thinking

Mirfield, UK

#5244 Mar 28, 2013
Religion is just stuff.
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>

“In God we trust”

Cape Town, South Africa

#5245 Mar 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Religion is just stuff.
<quoted text>
See, atheists are stupid, he didn't understand a word I said.

Nottingham, UK

#5246 Mar 28, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.

Knowledge of a talking snake and donkey, four-legged insects, elephants riding on a huge turtle, etc, is indeed religion.

“In God we trust”

Cape Town, South Africa

#5247 Mar 28, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
Knowledge of a talking snake and donkey, four-legged insects, elephants riding on a huge turtle, etc, is indeed religion.
You don't know much do you?

Nottingham, UK

#5248 Mar 28, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know much do you?
I know that your holy book has instructions to kill people who choose to exercise freedom of religion.

“In God we trust”

Cape Town, South Africa

#5249 Mar 28, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that your holy book has instructions to kill people who choose to exercise freedom of religion.
Then here is you're favourite question and please don't be ignorant and listing to the question.http://www.youtube.co m/watch?feature=player_embedde d&v=NFg5tQkrMFo

“In God we trust”

Cape Town, South Africa

#5250 Mar 28, 2013

Nottingham, UK

#5251 Mar 28, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Then here is you're favourite question and please don't be ignorant and listing to the question.http://www.youtube.co m/watch?feature=player_embedde d&v=NFg5tQkrMFo
The difference between him and me is that I accept I could be wrong and maybe there is some kind of cosmic mega being. However, I think it's extremely unlikely that I am wrong.

He doesn't accept he may be wrong - not even in the slightest.

Actually he makes two fundamental mistakes:

1. He insists there is a god.

2. He then insists that this god happens to be the god of the Bible.

So I say it's extremely unlikely that I'm wrong and he says he's not wrong at all.

Who's being arrogant then, eh?

Nottingham, UK

#5252 Mar 28, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?f eature=player_embedded&v=N Fg5tQkrMFo
Ps. Do you agree that the god of the Bible instructs his believers to kill people who choose to exercise freedom of religion?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5253 Mar 28, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
And here's the kicker...
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Even if the theists prevail, the discoveries of science will still apply.
Although, in all fairness not so long ago, I suspected a divine intervention when my Windows machine did boot up.
LOL!

Well, some folk did believe for a time, that Bill Gates was tantamount to divine...

(just going by the microsoft lovers...)

:D

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 1 hr P_Smith 1
Why the Internet is slowly strangling religion 1 hr P_Smith 1
Siro is writing a new book 2 hr Siro 4
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr ChristineM 231,821
Reza Aslan: Sam Harris and "New Atheists" aren'... 4 hr P_Smith 1
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 5 hr thetruth 862
The Rapture of the Atheists (Nov '09) 5 hr thetruth 7,110

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE