Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

May 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Free Republic

'RELIGION SHOULD BE TREATED WITH RIDICULE, HATRED AND CONTEMPT' Atheism, or 'antitheism,' which was once considered taboo in America, has gone somewhat mainstream in today's society.

Comments
4,561 - 4,580 of 5,918 Comments Last updated May 8, 2014

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#5132 Oct 3, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny? You mean funny like a clown?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =IWINtUCshxYXX
and then like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Good analogy.

Ostensibly, their beliefs are funny but scratch the surface and they're downright ugly.
KittenKoder

Seven Hills, Australia

#5134 Oct 13, 2012
Atheists ridicule Christianity because they know if they do it to Islam then the muslims will kill them.
Atheists are cowards.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#5135 Oct 13, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
Atheists ridicule Christianity because they know if they do it to Islam then the muslims will kill them.
Atheists are cowards.
No, we ridicule those individuals who attempt to use our government as a tool to further their religious beliefs.

And in this country, that would be Christians.
KittenKoder

Seven Hills, Australia

#5136 Oct 13, 2012
Obama is an atheist, I notice you say nothing about his ineptness.
Nor do you say anything about muslims who would quite happily kill you.
You say nothing about Jews, is that because that would be 'anti-semitic'?

Tampa, FL

#5137 Oct 14, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
Obama is an atheist
Evidence?
KittenKoder wrote:
Nor do you say anything about muslims who would quite happily kill you. You say nothing about Jews, is that because that would be 'anti-semitic'?
Read my previous posting. Already addressed.

Nottingham, UK

#5138 Oct 14, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we ridicule those individuals who attempt to use our government as a tool to further their religious beliefs.
And in this country, that would be Christians.
Of course there was a time when Christians were just like Muslims. In those barbaric days Christians regularly killed atheists.

These days and with huge thanks to atheists, Christianity's claws have been pulled.
Planetdoom

Pasadena, CA

#5139 Oct 14, 2012
Because Christianity is the largest new aged religion on the table to fork and knife. If Greek or Norse mythology had a following as big as Christianity It would be hacked to pieces just as much. Christianity is the greatest fiarytale ever told but atheism is most ignorant belief system ever thought of. Belief in nothing but opposing a belief in Christ or any divine entity. Almost as redundant as Satanism IMO. Pick your poison or not care at all. Who really does anyways?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#5140 Oct 14, 2012
I don't know what I am. I have seen and felt ghosts before so I know there is something out there. But I don't think I am on either side. Christianity or atheism, I think why people get on Christians so bad is because a lot of the are hypocritical when it comes down to it or throw god in your face when they find it convenient. Not all Christians but some do. I myself like to stay out of all the politics with religion. I just believe in spirituality.

Tampa, FL

#5141 Oct 14, 2012
Pjet wrote:
I have seen and felt ghosts before so I know there is something out there.
And how do you know that you weren't imagining them?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5142 Oct 14, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
Atheists are cowards.
It might take God-inspired courage to start a war, uncommon valor and patriotism to fight in it, but it is the rational mind that eventually ends the conflict and starts picking up the pieces.

Godbots are idiots, delusional and extremely dangerous.

Texas, USA

#5143 Oct 14, 2012
Pjet wrote:
I don't know what I am. I have seen and felt ghosts before so I know there is something out there. But I don't think I am on either side. Christianity or atheism, I think why people get on Christians so bad is because a lot of the are hypocritical when it comes down to it or throw god in your face when they find it convenient. Not all Christians but some do. I myself like to stay out of all the politics with religion. I just believe in spirituality.
I would think that 'seeing and feeling ghosts' would be a life-changing experience. Either it would convince me that there is indeed a poorly understood, supernatural component to our reality that science is unable to quantify or that I needed psychiatric evaluation. The perception of "ghosts" in itself does not necessarily lend credence to Christianity but, if REAL, would set science and the rational world view on it's ear!!

Ghosts, spirits (believing in spirits is, I suppose, a necessary part of "spirituality"?), an afterlife, a complete universe that co-exists in tandem but, mostly non-detectably, with our physical reality ... that is, if you will excuse my vulgarity ... one hell of a supposition. Suppositions of such sweeping and shattering import require more than mere anecdotes, feelings and perceptions to be taken seriously.

My 91 year old mother is currently in dementia (or Alzheimer's ... the medical profession seems at a loss to differentiate the two for me) and I can see FIRST HAND that perception and reality are only loosely bound together. The things that do tie them together are ENTIRELY within our own skulls.

Texas, USA

#5144 Oct 14, 2012
Planetdoom wrote:
Because Christianity is the largest new aged religion on the table to fork and knife. If Greek or Norse mythology had a following as big as Christianity It would be hacked to pieces just as much. Christianity is the greatest fiarytale ever told but atheism is most ignorant belief system ever thought of. Belief in nothing but opposing a belief in Christ or any divine entity. Almost as redundant as Satanism IMO. Pick your poison or not care at all. Who really does anyways?
I care.

Nottingham, UK

#5145 Oct 14, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I would think that 'seeing and feeling ghosts' would be a life-changing experience. Either it would convince me that there is indeed a poorly understood, supernatural component to our reality that science is unable to quantify or that I needed psychiatric evaluation. The perception of "ghosts" in itself does not necessarily lend credence to Christianity but, if REAL, would set science and the rational world view on it's ear!!
Ghosts, spirits (believing in spirits is, I suppose, a necessary part of "spirituality"?), an afterlife, a complete universe that co-exists in tandem but, mostly non-detectably, with our physical reality ... that is, if you will excuse my vulgarity ... one hell of a supposition. Suppositions of such sweeping and shattering import require more than mere anecdotes, feelings and perceptions to be taken seriously.
My 91 year old mother is currently in dementia (or Alzheimer's ... the medical profession seems at a loss to differentiate the two for me) and I can see FIRST HAND that perception and reality are only loosely bound together. The things that do tie them together are ENTIRELY within our own skulls.
I would love to see a ghost.

Somehow I doubt I ever will.

Texas, USA

#5146 Oct 15, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
A ghost, a goblin, a flying saucer, a frig'n Big Foot ... anything to convince myself the world isn't insane.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#5148 Oct 17, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Good analogy.
Ostensibly, their beliefs are funny but scratch the surface and they're downright ugly.
Indeed.

When it comes down to it, I suspect the hardcore Christian Evangelicals would be worse than the Pharisees. At least the Pharisees obeyed the letter of the law of "Thou Shalt Not Kill." They enlisted the Romans to do their dirty work and impose the death penalty.

I have no doubt that anyone claiming to be Jesus returned would immediately be stoned by the American Christian Taliban.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#5149 Oct 17, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>I would love to see a ghost.

Hey Khatru! How the are you?

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#5150 Oct 17, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
http://depts.washington.edu/civilr/images/kkk...

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#5151 Oct 17, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I, too, would like to see a ghost.

I'd holler "Boo!" to see if I can scare it.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#5152 Oct 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
Obama is an atheist, I notice you say nothing about his ineptness.
Nor do you say anything about muslims who would quite happily kill you.
You say nothing about Jews, is that because that would be 'anti-semitic'?
Why are you masquerading as kittenkoder?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#5153 Oct 29, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>A ghost, a goblin, a flying saucer, a frig'n Big Foot ... anything to convince myself the world isn't insane.
Better to get used to the fact that the vast majority of the world IS insane.

I do think that there is such a thing as a rational Christian, but I think they're the exception rather than the rule. So far, anyway.

I think that is changing. People want to hang onto their hope for eternity, but they're going to have to figure out how to let go of the mythology behind religion and accept that most of our current scientific knowledge that refutes religion is, itself, irrefutable.

What we have on these forums are, for the most part, the vocal fundamentalists. They know the science is solid, but they refuse to accept that. To them, if one piece is false, it's all false, so they're forced to maintain their irrational beliefs in spite of the overwhelming evidence against them.

Most people don't even bring up religion anymore. And I think that's because deep down they know how much of it is purely irrational. That's why atheists pointing it out to them make them so angry.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min KiMare 226,249
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 1 hr Tuco Blondie 18
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr ChristineM 900
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr MUQ1 21,499
The Ultimate Evidence of God 2 hr Thinking 53
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr Thinking 403
100% Faith Free 3 hr Reason Personified 10
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••