Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

There are 8103 comments on the Free Republic story from May 5, 2011, titled Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?. In it, Free Republic reports that:

'RELIGION SHOULD BE TREATED WITH RIDICULE, HATRED AND CONTEMPT' Atheism, or 'antitheism,' which was once considered taboo in America, has gone somewhat mainstream in today's society.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Free Republic.

wolverine

Greeley, CO

#5068 Jan 14, 2012
Cpt Jack Sparrow wrote:
Batten down the hatches an turn her about...... There be the Scent o Conservative Bullsh!t in the wind! <quoted text>
Naw Capt.....The Wind Is just Blowing Your Stench In Yer Face.
RAIN DANCER

Atmore, AL

#5069 Jan 14, 2012
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>
Jizzumbreath!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5070 Jan 14, 2012
Cpt Jack Sparrow wrote:
Batten down the hatches an turn her about...... There be the Scent o Conservative Bullsh!t in the wind! <quoted text>
Yep.

There is no end of it, too--

-- it's a damn shame we cannot harness that BS for something useful.

Like making beer (from the heat) or fertilizing crops (from the bs)...

... alas, all that Conservative BS is good for is making certain rich men even more wealthy.

Cpt Jack Sparrow

“.strike yer colors swab ”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#5071 Jan 14, 2012
I know the stench of Conservative when one's about, they smell like lies..........
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#5074 Jan 18, 2012
Cpt Jack Sparrow wrote:
I know the stench of Conservative when one's about, they smell like lies.......... <quoted text>
Hey! I wish you would rephrase that to religious Conservatives.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#5075 Jan 18, 2012
Thesimpleton wrote:
Good question!
What is a “good question”?

Cpt Jack Sparrow

“.strike yer colors swab ”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#5076 Jan 18, 2012
Understood, However most of the time you hear the word it's opposed to Someones rights or proExploitation and fast becoming synonomous With "Religious Nut". For My own self I prefer "Traditional" to denote values I hold personaly so as not to identify Myself with those seeking to impose thier Beliefs on Others. funny how things Change used to be "Progressive" was a good thing now it's practicly a curse word with the Right Wing. Ain't language funny that way?
Very Cynical Person wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! I wish you would rephrase that to religious Conservatives.
monkey for evonuts

Prescott, AZ

#5078 Sep 28, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
What laws are they.
Killing your children?
That was one of your maniac god's laws.
In what way is that superior to man's wisdom?
Crackpot-tooth You can read them or do you have a disability that impairs your vision? do you have a better alternative. Crackpot-tooth said:In what way is that superior to man's wisdom? you tell me those wonderful moral laws and wisdom?

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#5079 Sep 28, 2012
Jack has a good point. The conservative emphasis on traditional values carries the implicit notion that there is a single set of such values. But in a diverse society, there is a wide range of tradition, and the values that go with them vary just as widely. When taken to a universal level, the phrase loses most or all of its meaning.

“God=Registered Sex Offender!”

Since: Jul 12

Wylie, TX

#5080 Sep 28, 2012
There ain't nothin' funny about my Christian beliefs. Well,'cept maybe the fact that my LORD and SAVIOR was a 33-year-old virgin carpenter. Who the HELL even admits to being a male virgin at 33?

Then there's the business 'bout Mary opening her legs to Yahweh and bein' artificially inseminated like some bizarre livestock experiment such as the ones the FFA toys around with here in Texas.

Mary had the hots for Yahweh:

javy

Long Beach, CA

#5081 Sep 28, 2012
AmericasBestChristian wrote:
There ain't nothin' funny about my Christian beliefs. Well,'cept maybe the fact that my LORD and SAVIOR was a 33-year-old virgin carpenter. Who the HELL even admits to being a male virgin at 33?

Then there's the business 'bout Mary opening her legs to Yahweh and bein' artificially inseminated like some bizarre livestock experiment such as the ones the FFA toys around with here in Texas.

Mary had the hots for Yahweh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =X41FANcPohkXX
Watch out for lightning!

Or falling pianos! Yikes!

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5082 Sep 29, 2012
javy wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch out for lightning!
I'd say watch out for avenging godbots.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#5083 Sep 29, 2012
NightSerf wrote:
Jack has a good point. The conservative emphasis on traditional values carries the implicit notion that there is a single set of such values. But in a diverse society, there is a wide range of tradition, and the values that go with them vary just as widely. When taken to a universal level, the phrase loses most or all of its meaning.
I'm afraid that many of the conservative traditional values were formed when America considered itself a "melting pot" where people from diverse backgrounds made an effort to blend in, average out. Now the country is simply a vessel in which diverse groups expect to maintain their cultural identities, not melting, melding or even respectful of one another. The end result of a functional "melting pot" society would be a single set of values and a perpetuation of that societies identity. This no longer seems to be the case. We've become more of a "giant pot of soup" place with the various ingredients lending their flavors. Is this "soup" palatable? I think it sucks. There's a certain permanence and strength associated with the "melting pot" concept that I just don't get from a bowl of soup. But, that's just me.
javy

San Pedro, CA

#5084 Sep 29, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>I'd say watch out for avenging godbots.
No need to avenge anything. Christians are not Muslims.
You can slander our God on our beliefs it doesn't hurt our feelings.

We'll just take three steps away from you to avoid that falling piano.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#5085 Sep 29, 2012
javy wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch out for lightning!
Thankfully atheists don't suffer from paranoid delusions.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#5086 Sep 29, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>Thankfully atheists don't suffer from paranoid delusions.
Says the retard who has been proven wrong time and time again and has been called an idiot by other atheists.
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#5087 Sep 29, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the retard who has been proven wrong time and time again and has been called an idiot by other atheists.
Actually, it is you "fundamentalshit christians" who have been proven wrong time and time again.

Heck, you guys can't even find the big wooden barge after 4400+ years and your "science and history textbook" tells you EXACTLY where to look.

Further, most of the people who disagree with Skeptic are NOT atheists, they are agnostics and Christians who also AGREE with him about the validity of the Theory of Evolution and global climate change, but who think he's a little over the top with his anti-religion schtick.

Location hidden

#5088 Sep 29, 2012
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, it is you "fundamentalshit christians" who have been proven wrong time and time again.

Heck, you guys can't even find the big wooden barge after 4400+ years and your "science and history textbook" tells you EXACTLY where to look.

Further, most of the people who disagree with Skeptic are NOT atheists, they are agnostics and Christians who also AGREE with him about the validity of the Theory of Evolution and global climate change, but who think he's a little over the top with his anti-religion schtick.
Yes, I understand how angry you are! But you will never get rid of Christians or theists. Good luck and God Bless!

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#5089 Sep 29, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I understand how angry you are!....
Projection.

Location hidden

#5090 Sep 29, 2012
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>Projection.
Stupidity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 min emperorjohn 6,007
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 10 min ChristineM 3,091
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 25 min It aint necessari... 253,362
News Atheism has no moral dimension 27 min Richard 149
Are Atheists mind control victims? 30 min Richard 27
News Speaking for God 32 min True Christian wi... 2
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 45 min emperorjohn 18,811
More from around the web