Atheism and cowardice

Atheism and cowardice

There are 12663 comments on the Conservapedia story from Nov 18, 2011, titled Atheism and cowardice. In it, Conservapedia reports that:

Have any of the New Atheists toured [[Islam]]ic countries giving lectures in which they condemn [[Allah]], [[Muhammad]], Islam, or Muslims? Have any of them debated Muslims in Islamic countries? Have any of them been interviewed on Al Jazeera? Have any of them written entire books in which they condemn Allah, Muhammad, Islam, or Muslims? Have they ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Conservapedia.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11471 Sep 2, 2013
Rusty Tin Can wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not my problem that you think Dawkins is a moron, but as a scientist he knows not to deny historical records of Jesus's existence,
You are simply lying, here. Your quote-mine does not support this claim at all.

More to the point?**WHAT** "historical" records would those be?

LOL!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11472 Sep 2, 2013
Rusty Tin Can wrote:
Oh, I'm incapable of lying through Dawkin's mouth as he spoke in the video, you only have to watch it. Dawkins is probably smarter than you to know that most scientists do believe in a historical Jesus who was crucified, even they may not believe in his divinity.
LOL!

Riiiiiight.... you lie by deliberately miss-interpreting a partial statement of Dawkins.

I cannot believe for a second, you permitted yourself to watch a whole video by Dawkins...

... that would have been too dangerous to your already-shaky faith...

.... LOL!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11473 Sep 2, 2013
Rusty Tin Can wrote:
<quoted text>
I think claiming for the babies to be "Atheist" or "Theist" is meaningless claim, firstly you can't really know what the babies think to claim any-ist for them, to be either a Theist or Atheist, one needs a conscious intellectual commitment, that can only come after many exposure to ideas atheistic and theistic - so the way atheists lead their babies is just as "indoctrination" as the way theists lead their babies.
Secondly even if you force a definition of Atheism to include the state of mind of the newborn babies, it doesn't say anything about the destiny the babies would choose, and it doesn't do a thing to discredit any religion as most religions would agree that one has to "come to faith", whatever you label them when they were born. It would be just as useful as claiming that all caterpillars are born flightless.
So.

Now you believe in pre-destination?

LOL!

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#11474 Sep 2, 2013
Rusty Tin Can wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not my problem that you think Dawkins is a moron, but as a scientist he knows not to deny historical records of Jesus's existence, not many reputable atheists would deny a historical Jesus and his crucifixion, if by your definition they are all morons... well, I don't have a problem with that either, but I don't think you're being too smart here.
<quoted text>
Oh, I'm incapable of lying through Dawkin's mouth as he spoke in the video, you only have to watch it. Dawkins is probably smarter than you to know that most scientists do believe in a historical Jesus who was crucified, even they may not believe in his divinity.
There are historical records of Jesus existence? Where? And don't say the buybull, that don't count. It's like saying Harry Potter is proof of warlocks or fire breathing dragons.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#11475 Sep 2, 2013
Rusty Tin Can wrote:
<quoted text>
I think claiming for the babies to be "Atheist" or "Theist" is meaningless claim, firstly you can't really know what the babies think to claim any-ist for them, to be either a Theist or Atheist, one needs a conscious intellectual commitment, that can only come after many exposure to ideas atheistic and theistic - so the way atheists lead their babies is just as "indoctrination" as the way theists lead their babies.
Secondly even if you force a definition of Atheism to include the state of mind of the newborn babies, it doesn't say anything about the destiny the babies would choose, and it doesn't do a thing to discredit any religion as most religions would agree that one has to "come to faith", whatever you label them when they were born. It would be just as useful as claiming that all caterpillars are born flightless.
You idiot! You are completely out of the library, never mind being on the wrong page.

Atheism isn't what one may or may not think. It is the absence of theism. Nothing more, until you are indoctrinated, you are an atheist. That is the only way to stop from being an atheist.

And all caterpillars are hatched flightless, as all humans are born atheist. They can be and some will become theist, by being indoctrinated, and the caterpillar has to change too, to achieve flight.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#11476 Sep 2, 2013
Many people are unconvinced of the existence of a Jesus Christ character at all....
http://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm
but the question remains: if he was a complete invention, who invented him?

I think it likely that some cult called Christianity was built around a real character. That isn't to suggest the virgin birth and other mythology (theology) is anything but nonsense, but whether Jesus actually existed or not isn't the point. Even if someone called Jesus had a cult following in that part of the world at that time, it still doesn't make belief in an Abrahamic god(s) in the 21st century any less silly.

Theology = mythology
Religion = superstition
LCNLin

United States

#11477 Sep 2, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>There are historical records of Jesus existence? Where? And don't say the buybull, that don't count. It's like saying Harry Potter is proof of warlocks or fire breathing dragons.
rambling again with generalizations
LOL
LCNLin

United States

#11478 Sep 2, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>You idiot! You are completely out of the library, never mind being on the wrong page.
Atheism isn't what one may or may not think. It is the absence of theism. Nothing more, until you are indoctrinated, you are an atheist. That is the only way to stop from being an atheist.
And all caterpillars are hatched flightless, as all humans are born atheist. They can be and some will become theist, by being indoctrinated, and the caterpillar has to change too, to achieve flight.
warmed over Opinions
LOL

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#11479 Sep 2, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
warmed over Opinions
LOL
one line answers from the soon-to-be banned creationist wreck.

Since: Apr 12

Danville, CA

#11480 Sep 2, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
You are simply lying, here. Your quote-mine does not support this claim at all.
More to the point?**WHAT** "historical" records would those be?
LOL!
You can deny existence of Jesus the man the same way you can deny existence of Buddha, Socrates, Arisotle etc. Jesus was recorded in Roman writings and Babylonian Talmud, only that ancient mmanuscripts of bible far outnumbers any of those. There are also non-biblical and records from hostile sources.

Bart Ehrman, a prominent atheist who writes against christianity said he is not surprised by people like you because we live in a "society in which people still claim the Holocaust did not happen"

"That is the claim made by a small but growing cadre of (published ) writers, bloggers and Internet junkies who call themselves mythicists. This unusually vociferous group of nay-sayers maintains that Jesus is a myth invented for nefarious (or altruistic) purposes by the early Christians who modeled their savior along the lines of pagan divine men who, it is alleged, were also born of a virgin on Dec. 25, who also did miracles, who also died as an atonement for sin and were then raised from the dead.

Few of these mythicists are actually scholars trained in ancient history, religion, biblical studies or any cognate field, let alone in the ancient languages generally thought to matter for those who want to say something with any degree of authority about a Jewish teacher who (allegedly) lived in first-century Palestine. There are a couple of exceptions: of the hundreds -- thousands?-- of mythicists, two (to my knowledge) actually have Ph.D. credentials in relevant fields of study. But even taking these into account, there is not a single mythicist who teaches New Testament or Early Christianity or even Classics at any accredited institution of higher learning in the Western world. And it is no wonder why. These views are so extreme and so unconvincing to 99.99 percent of the real experts that anyone holding them is as likely to get a teaching job in an established department of religion as a six-day creationist is likely to land on in a bona fide department of biology."

...

The view, however, founders on its own premises. The reality -- sad or salutary -- is that Jesus was real. And that is the subject of my new book, "Did Jesus Exist?"

With respect to Jesus, we have numerous, independent accounts of his life in the sources lying behind the Gospels (and the writings of Paul)-- sources that originated in Jesus' native tongue Aramaic and that can be dated to within just a year or two of his life (before the religion moved to convert pagans in droves). Historical sources like that are is pretty astounding for an ancient figure of any kind. Moreover, we have relatively extensive writings from one first-century author, Paul, who acquired his information within a couple of years of Jesus' life and who actually knew, first hand, Jesus' closest disciple Peter and his own brother James. If Jesus did not exist, you would think his brother would know it.

...

Whether we like it or not, Jesus certainly existed."

(sounds like Ehrman is talking to you, Bob, and he claimed not surprised by you because "a society in which people still claim the Holocaust did not happen")

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bart-d-ehrman/d...

And you think Dawkins is so dumb to go against the historical records? Perhaps he knew there is plenty of evidence. Perhaps it is you who is dumb.

http://www.probe.org/site/c.fdKEIMNsEoG/b.422...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11481 Sep 2, 2013
Rusty Tin Can wrote:
<quoted text>
You can deny existence of Jesus the man the same way you can deny existence of Buddha, Socrates, Arisotle etc. Jesus was recorded in Roman writings and Babylonian Talmud, only that ancient mmanuscripts of bible far outnumbers any of those. There are also non-biblical and records from hostile sources.
NONE written during his alleged life-- in direct contrast to Buddha, Socrates, Aristotle, etc.

In fact? Those other folk, we have **their**own** documents-- materials written by **them**.

Apparently your "jesus" was illiterate...!

Since: Apr 12

Danville, CA

#11483 Sep 2, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
NONE written during his alleged life-- in direct contrast to Buddha, Socrates, Aristotle, etc.
In fact? Those other folk, we have **their**own** documents-- materials written by **them**.
Apparently your "jesus" was illiterate...!
Ok, starting from Buddha, show me his own writing.

It your statement is pretty dumb, you are thinking that history should be valid only if someone writes a book, rather than others account of his existence? That is pretty stupid.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#11484 Sep 2, 2013
Rusty Tin Can wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, starting from Buddha, show me his own writing.
It your statement is pretty dumb, you are thinking that history should be valid only if someone writes a book, rather than others account of his existence? That is pretty stupid.
Simple minded liar with no proof god, trying to pass lies for his creationist cult in the atheism forum.

You need to prove your god instead of lying about it, that wil gain you more respect.

F*cking off to another part of the internet will gain you even more.
xianity is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#11485 Sep 2, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on the increasing higher numbers of calamities, crime and immorality, and other unethical behaviors around the globe, I think atheism is more of the population than what you are claiming.
Why are you so proud of what your debilitating cult is doing to mankind?
only debilitating cult is your christINSANITY as your kristains posts prove here every day!

Several weeks ago, a ground-breaking study on religious belief and social well-being was published in the Journal of Religion & Society. Comparing 18 prosperous democracies from the U.S. to New Zealand, author Gregory S Paul quietly demolished the myth that faith strengthens society.

Drawing on a wide range of studies to cross-match faith – measured by belief in God and acceptance of evolution – with homicide and intimate behavior, Paul found that secular societies have lower rates of violence and teenage pregnancy than societies where many people profess belief in God.

Top of the class, in both atheism and good behavior, come the Japanese. Over eighty percent accept evolution and fewer than ten percent are certain that God exists. Despite its size – over a hundred million people – Japan is one of the least crime-prone countries in the world. It also has the lowest rates of teenage pregnancy of any developed nation.

Next in line are the Norwegians, British, Germans and Dutch. At least sixty percent accept evolution as a fact and fewer than one in three are convinced that there is a deity.

At the other end of the scale comes America. Over 50 percent of Americans believe in God, and only 40 percent accept some form of evolution (many believe it had a helping hand from the Deity). The U.S. has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy and homicide rates are at least five times greater than in Europe and ten times higher than in Japan.

All this information points to a strong correlation between faith and antisocial behavior -- a correlation so strong that there is good reason to suppose that religious belief does more harm than good.

At first glance that is a preposterous suggestion, given that religions preach non-violence and intimate restraint. However, close inspection reveals a different story.

All believers learn that God holds them responsible for their actions. So far so good, but for many, belief absolves them of all other responsibilities.
Consciously or subconsciously, those who are "born again" or "chosen" have diminished respect for others who do not share their sect or their faith. Convinced that only the Bible offers "truth", they lose their intellectual curiosity and their ability to reason. Their priority becomes not the world they live in but themselves.

The more people prioritize themselves rather than those around them, the weaker society becomes and the greater the likelihood of antisocial behavior.
Hence gun laws which encourage Americans to see each other not as fellow human beings who deserve protection, but as potential aggressors who deserve to die.

As for sex… Faith encourages ignorance rather than responsible behavior. In other countries, sex education includes contraception, reducing the risk of unwanted pregnancies. Such an approach recognizes that young people have the right to make their own choices and helps them make decisions that benefit society as a whole.
In America faith-driven abstinence programs deny them that right
. The result is soaring rates of unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.

Despite all its fine words, religion has brought in its wake little more than violence, prejudice and intimate disease.

i think this shatters the thinking that morality is lost when societies become secular.

Since: Apr 12

Danville, CA

#11486 Sep 2, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
Simple minded liar with no proof god, trying to pass lies for his creationist cult in the atheism forum.
You need to prove your god instead of lying about it, that wil gain you more respect.
No, it was fun to see you calling atheists like Richard Dawkins and Bart Ehrman "Stupid" for believing that Jesus existed. Two down, and need more? How about the founder of Skeptic Magazine (you must know him, you name yourself after his magazine), Michael Shermer, another big name atheist author/debator said in his blog:

Jesus was, for the most part, apolitical. There were a number of political factions in his time, yet there is no evidence that he joined or even endorsed any of them. He emphasized the “Kingdom of God” over the kingdom of man, and heaven over earth, and his central message was to love God and to love one another.

http://trueslant.com/michaelshermer/2010/07/2...

Did Jesus exist? In any way, shape or form?: Most likely a man named Jesus of Nazareth existed … in the shape or form of a human. There is nothing he did or claimed to have done, however, that has not been claimed for other mythical gods or god-like people who came before (virgin birth, raising the dead, turning water into wine, resurrection, etc.)

http://www.jeffpearlman.com/the-quaz-qa-micha...

So, another stupid atheist for your collection.
-Skeptic- wrote:
F*cking off to another part of the internet will gain you even more.
No, I'm starting to love your enlightening posts, where else can I find such wisdom.
LCNLin

United States

#11487 Sep 2, 2013
.....And let’s not forget the Beatitudes from the sermon on the mount (Matthew 5: 3-9), which do more closely echo the sentiments of liberals instead of conservatives:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.”

“Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.”

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.”

“Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.”

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.”

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.”

Matthew 7: 1-5 is the classic statement of liberal tolerance:

Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11489 Sep 2, 2013
every game wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on the increasing higher numbers of calamities, crime and immorality, and other unethical behaviors around the globe, I think atheism is more of the population than what you are claiming.
Why are you so proud of what your debilitating cult is doing to mankind?
LOL!

Why is it, that the majority of people in prison are **deeply** religious?

Hmmmm?

LOL!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11490 Sep 2, 2013
Rusty Tin Can wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, starting from Buddha, show me his own writing.
Records exist of stuff he's written-- alas, it's not in English. So you're just out of luck.

Even better? Lots and lots of records written **during** his lifetime.

Can you say the same about your Jewsus(jesus)?

Of course not!

Your Jewsus(jesus) is 100% myth.

Since: Apr 12

Danville, CA

#11491 Sep 2, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
Records exist of stuff he's written-- alas, it's not in English. So you're just out of luck.
Even better? Lots and lots of records written **during** his lifetime.
Can you say the same about your Jewsus(jesus)?
Of course not!
Your Jewsus(jesus) is 100% myth.
Lol! May I ask what language did Buddha use to write his autograph manuscript?

Here's a buddhist web-site refuting your claim:

Question:

I know there are all these books about buddhism, but is there just one book with just what the Buddha wrote? Kinda like a bible for Buddhists?

Answer

Simply put, no. The reason is simple. Just like the Bible was not written by God or by Jesus, but by men, Buddha didn't write anything himself.

The first written text of Buddhism come well after his death. The tradition wants that his disciples, after his death decided that they needed to put down in writing the Buddha's teachings and discourses. So, it is accepted that the words are of the Buddha's but not by him.

http://www.japanese-buddhism.com/is-there-a-f...

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#11492 Sep 2, 2013
Rusty Tin Can wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol! May I ask what language did Buddha use to write his autograph manuscript?
Here's a buddhist web-site refuting your claim:
Question:
I know there are all these books about buddhism, but is there just one book with just what the Buddha wrote? Kinda like a bible for Buddhists?
Answer
Simply put, no. The reason is simple. Just like the Bible was not written by God or by Jesus, but by men, Buddha didn't write anything himself.
The first written text of Buddhism come well after his death. The tradition wants that his disciples, after his death decided that they needed to put down in writing the Buddha's teachings and discourses. So, it is accepted that the words are of the Buddha's but not by him.
http://www.japanese-buddhism.com/is-there-a-f...
Just admit that you're a simple minded liar with no proof of god.

That's all you need to do instead of waste forum space with your nonsense cult opinions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 18 min SoE 45,560
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Big girl 20,310
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 1 hr Big girl 554
News A Strong Muslim Identity Is the Best Defense Ag... 1 hr naman 16
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 257,138
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 10,360
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 2 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 353
More from around the web