Atheism and cowardice

Atheism and cowardice

There are 12663 comments on the Conservapedia story from Nov 18, 2011, titled Atheism and cowardice. In it, Conservapedia reports that:

Have any of the New Atheists toured [[Islam]]ic countries giving lectures in which they condemn [[Allah]], [[Muhammad]], Islam, or Muslims? Have any of them debated Muslims in Islamic countries? Have any of them been interviewed on Al Jazeera? Have any of them written entire books in which they condemn Allah, Muhammad, Islam, or Muslims? Have they ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Conservapedia.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#11289 Aug 22, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
Your pathetic attempt at sarcasm and/or humor...
no, what sarcasm and/or humor? it was just a polite way of telling you that you stated something stupid.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#11290 Aug 22, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Just prove your god or f*ck off, you're a waste of space.
You are delusional!
You do not exist!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11291 Aug 23, 2013
Rusty Tin Can wrote:
<quoted text>
no, what sarcasm and/or humor? it was just a polite way of telling you that you stated something stupid.
An even sadder and failed attempt to be "funny".

Sad, really-- you are a **shining** example of what faith does-- faith destroys a person's ability to **think**

No **wonder** your "hero" your Jewsus was such a zero

Location hidden

#11292 Aug 23, 2013
An even sadder and failed attempt to be "funny".
Sad, really-- you are a **shining** example of what faith does-- faith destroys a person's ability to **think**
No **wonder** your "hero" your Jewsus was such a zero
LCNlin

United States

#11293 Aug 23, 2013
Rusty Tin Can wrote:
<quoted text>
B-b is a legend in his own mind,
He is always correct
LOL

Location hidden

#11294 Aug 23, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
B-b is a legend in his own mind,
He is always correct
LOL
Well, his mind has reasons that reason knows nothing about....
LCNlin

United States

#11295 Aug 23, 2013
An evangelical atheist is one who not only believes there is no god or other supreme being, but is obsessed with convincing everyone around them to become an atheist too, usually through hard-line intolerance (the kind they accuse other religions of). When cornered they usually try to put down their opponent's religion and bash them for 'blind faith', not realizing that their belief that there is no god is no more or less valid or provable than the other guy's belief that there is one.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11296 Aug 23, 2013
Rusty Tin Can wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =d7KXhPB7rY0XX
I do not click on the contaminated links from hategodbots.

You are still a bigot

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11297 Aug 23, 2013
Rusty Tin Can wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, his mind has reasons that reason knows nothing about....
You and reason are unacquainted.

You've proven this with each of your bigoted and ignorant posts.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#11298 Aug 24, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
An evangelical atheist is one who not only believes there is no god or other supreme being, but is obsessed with convincing everyone around them to become an atheist too, usually through hard-line intolerance (the kind they accuse other religions of). When cornered they usually try to put down their opponent's religion and bash them for 'blind faith', not realizing that their belief that there is no god is no more or less valid or provable than the other guy's belief that there is one.
Listening to a creationist is like taking directions from a lunatic in the street.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#11299 Aug 24, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
Honey, instead of trying to tell atheists what they are, why no grow a set of balls and prove the god your cult sent you here to lie to us about?
Jimmy C

Uniontown, PA

#11300 Aug 24, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Honey, instead of trying to tell atheists what they are, why no grow a set of balls and prove the god your cult sent you here to lie to us about?
I'd like to see you prove there's not a God.

Go on...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11301 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd like to see you prove there's not a God.
Go on...
you first: DEFINE what you mean by "god".

Be **specific**. Give all the attributes you think "god" has to have.

Why? Because NOBODY but NOBODY gives a crap about an UNDEFINED god.

Nobody-- not even you.

So.

Let's see yours: explain what you mean by "god".

I bet you $100 that I can prove this "god" of **yours** cannot possibly exist in the present universe.
Jimmy C

Uniontown, PA

#11302 Aug 24, 2013
I can't. But I don't need to.

That's the point. I acknowledge this. The metaphysical origin of our universe is outside the scope of our knowledge. For now, at least.

Which means, you can't prove God doesn't exist either.

Defined: God is the initiator of all things. Time, science, etc. He created us. God doesn't HAVE to have specific attributes, and it doesn't matter what I think he should have. If what I thought God should have had any bearing on God, I wouldn't be a mortal.

That's who I believe God is, defined.

What makes you so sure a god doesn't exist?
Jimmy C

Uniontown, PA

#11303 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
That's the point. I acknowledge this. The metaphysical origin of our universe is outside the scope of our knowledge. For now, at least.
Defined: God is the initiator of all things. Time, science, etc. He created us. God doesn't HAVE to have specific attributes, and it doesn't matter what I think he should have. If what I thought God should have had any bearing on God, I wouldn't be a mortal.
And let me elaborate on this.

I'm Christian, so I believe that Jesus Christ was a real person and he was who he said he was.

There are dozens of accounts of his life and works. None seriously contradict each other, none are spun to glorify the authors themselves.

Moreover, his promise that applying his parables to one's daily life would bring satisfaction holds true, personally for me, and to countless others.

For me, that's the only "proof" I need. His message, if anything, is legitimate. I have no problem living my life according to it. And if I were to require indisputable proof, I obviously wouldn't trust him. Now if I didn't know the truth behind his message, I'd be like you and say "Oh you gotta trust him! Sounds like a bunch of bulls*** then!" But I believe I have no reason not to, given the reliability of his message.

I believe that man existed and was executed to show us, give us an example, of how we should live our lives.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11304 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
I'm not sure that **all** gods exist.

I am pretty certain, that the human-created ones do not, however.

With special emphasis on the old-religious-book gods-- those gods are pretty easy to prove myth. To as high a standard as you like.

But one thing is certain: an **omniscient** god cannot exist in the present universe.

Quantum mechanics shows us this quite nicely-- the old "observer effect".

That is, Heisenberg understood that a sub-atomic particle cannot have both a fixed speed and a fixed position at the same time.

Doing so typically destroys the particle (and it becomes something else or simply vanishes).

An **omniscient** god would, simply by existing, cause the immediate destruction of the whole universe by collapsing all particles.

So that wipes out an all-knowing deity from being aware of our universe.

But Relativity also shows us this is impossible: you cannot "know" what is happening **right**now** on Pluto. You can **only** know what is happening several hours into the past-- the time it would take for light (and therefore, information) to travel from Pluto to Earth.

So an all-knowing god cannot **be** all-knowing-- the speed of light ruins that one, a well-established principle of our universe.

Finally? An all-powerful god cannot exist either--with some thought about infinite power and the nature of entropy, you'll quickly realize that an infinitely powerful god would overwhelm the universe **just** with the entropic left-over energy (which would also be ... infinite).

So if god exists? It is neither all-powerful nor all-knowing.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11305 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
And let me elaborate on this.
I'm Christian, so I believe that Jesus Christ was a real person and he was who he said he was.
Alas, there are zero **historical** records that support his existing-- let alone that he was a **god**.
Jimmy C wrote:
There are dozens of accounts of his life and works. None seriously contradict each other, none are spun to glorify the authors themselves.
And **none** written during his alleged life. None.

That alone is damning-- if he was as **amazing** and **stupendous** as is claimed?

SOMEONE would have noticed-- and written it down.

Nobody did.
Jimmy C

Uniontown, PA

#11306 Aug 24, 2013
<quoted text>
I'm not sure that **all** gods exist.
I am pretty certain, that the human-created ones do not, however.
With special emphasis on the old-religious-book gods-- those gods are pretty easy to prove myth. To as high a standard as you like.
But one thing is certain: an **omniscient** god cannot exist in the present universe.
Quantum mechanics shows us this quite nicely-- the old "observer effect".
That is, Heisenberg understood that a sub-atomic particle cannot have both a fixed speed and a fixed position at the same time.
Doing so typically destroys the particle (and it becomes something else or simply vanishes).
An **omniscient** god would, simply by existing, cause the immediate destruction of the whole universe by collapsing all particles.
So that wipes out an all-knowing deity from being aware of our universe.
But Relativity also shows us this is impossible: you cannot "know" what is happening **right**now** on Pluto. You can **only** know what is happening several hours into the past-- the time it would take for light (and therefore, information) to travel from Pluto to Earth.
So an all-knowing god cannot **be** all-knowing-- the speed of light ruins that one, a well-established principle of our universe.
Finally? An all-powerful god cannot exist either--with some thought about infinite power and the nature of entropy, you'll quickly realize that an infinitely powerful god would overwhelm the universe **just** with the entropic left-over energy (which would also be ... infinite).
So if god exists? It is neither all-powerful nor all-knowing.
Okay great. What you've given me sounds like clear and compelling evidence against his existence.

As thorough as your reasoning is, however, it is faulty. It rests on the assumption that God faces the same constraints as things created of this universe. Who is to say the universe wasn't coordinated by God (and thus arises his omnipotence-he can discern the effects of what he has created)? Whose to say those quantum and subatomic properties don't serve to limit the scope of OUR knowledge?

What you've just described to us is proof of OUR limits to knowledge.

If God is truly the creator, why is it necessary that he abide by the same constraints of a universe he created? Couldn't he reside elsewhere?

Where do you think all of those metaphysical properties came from? I don't expect you to say "God," but I don't think you can call it proof.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11307 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
For me, that's the only "proof" I need. His message, if anything, is legitimate.
But it is far from unique.

That alone eliminates his credibility as a god.
Jimmy C

Uniontown, PA

#11308 Aug 24, 2013
No other religion had the example of Jesus Christ.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min Subduction Zone 67,099
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 13 min Subduction Zone 28,589
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 23 min Regolith Based Li... 3,523
is it ever right to hate Christians as a group? 20 hr superwilly 21
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 20 hr superwilly 462
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Apr 22 IB DaMann 5,975
News Unholy? Atheists should embrace the science of ... Apr 20 Eagle 12 9
More from around the web