Atheism and cowardice

Atheism and cowardice

There are 12674 comments on the Conservapedia story from Nov 18, 2011, titled Atheism and cowardice. In it, Conservapedia reports that:

Have any of the New Atheists toured [[Islam]]ic countries giving lectures in which they condemn [[Allah]], [[Muhammad]], Islam, or Muslims? Have any of them debated Muslims in Islamic countries? Have any of them been interviewed on Al Jazeera? Have any of them written entire books in which they condemn Allah, Muhammad, Islam, or Muslims? Have they ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Conservapedia.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#10292 Jul 1, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>Says the creationist liar who called atheists in this forum child molestors and compared them with stalin.

You're a wuss - bitter at being brainwashed by a filthy creationist cult that rewards dishonesty and intellectual weakness.
Hatred is with you my young Jedi.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#10293 Jul 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Exodus 20:5-6, Deuteronomy 5:9.
<quoted text>
"The bible, for instance, says that god will punish those not even born yet."

"5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments."

I think this is supposed to come with the assumption that their children will continue the ways of their parents. For the sin of their parents means they repeat the sins of their parents, or for the same sins of their parents. The language isn't really modern styled language, so it can be deceptive. For the sin of their parents in modern language would be written as for the same sins as their parents.
Thinking

Lymington, UK

#10294 Jul 1, 2013
An all powerful god could have created language systems for us and scripture completely without ambiguity.
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
"The bible, for instance, says that god will punish those not even born yet."
"5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments."
I think this is supposed to come with the assumption that their children will continue the ways of their parents. For the sin of their parents means they repeat the sins of their parents, or for the same sins of their parents. The language isn't really modern styled language, so it can be deceptive. For the sin of their parents in modern language would be written as for the same sins as their parents.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#10295 Jul 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
An all powerful god could have created language systems for us and scripture completely without ambiguity.
<quoted text>
Really?? People spoke in certain ways at different times that might not be the same way that we speak. You could even read Shakespeare where certain words are not there that we would expect in modern speech, but anybody who does not check every little word and looks at the larger context and meaning can tell what it is saying.
Thinking

Lymington, UK

#10296 Jul 1, 2013
So you are saying clear communication is beyond the whit of your supposedly all powerful god?

You're really struggling with this, aren't you?

What part of "all powerful" don't you understand?
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?? People spoke in certain ways at different times that might not be the same way that we speak. You could even read Shakespeare where certain words are not there that we would expect in modern speech, but anybody who does not check every little word and looks at the larger context and meaning can tell what it is saying.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#10297 Jul 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
So you are saying clear communication is beyond the whit of your supposedly all powerful god?
You're really struggling with this, aren't you?
What part of "all powerful" don't you understand?
<quoted text>
They are only words. People are expected to understand and ponder them. There are plenty of intellectuals today that study old school speech like the Bible has and can see what I am saying, and they use the context of how the rest of the words in the book were spoken throughout the rest of the chapters and their style as their basis. You can't take one verse and interpret it in modern terms, you have to look at the rest of them to understand the speech style and how it could have left out the additional words that I mentioned and yet can mean the same thing that I mentioned. You could easily misunderstand Shakespearean speech in a verse and misinterpret it also, but if you read all of Shakespeare you could understand it better and fill in the necessary modern words that weren't actually said but could be understood.
Thinking

Lymington, UK

#10298 Jul 1, 2013
So scripture is just storytelling.

For scientific truth, we need to look elsewhere, and make some effort.
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
They are only words. People are expected to understand and ponder them. There are plenty of intellectuals today that study old school speech like the Bible has and can see what I am saying, and they use the context of how the rest of the words in the book were spoken throughout the rest of the chapters and their style as their basis. You can't take one verse and interpret it in modern terms, you have to look at the rest of them to understand the speech style and how it could have left out the additional words that I mentioned and yet can mean the same thing that I mentioned. You could easily misunderstand Shakespearean speech in a verse and misinterpret it also, but if you read all of Shakespeare you could understand it better and fill in the necessary modern words that weren't actually said but could be understood.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10299 Jul 1, 2013
number four wrote:
I would like your humble opinion ...On .."Greed"..good or bad ..??
Depends on the circumstances, doesn't it?

A smallish bit of greed is quite useful-- it is what motivates most folk to get out of bed, go to a job they don't really like much, in order to make the money they want.

But if greed is all that there is in a person's life? Then, yeah, it becomes bad.

Being obsessed with **anything** is bad, so that's not surprising really.

One reason why Zealots are bad-- they are obsessed.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10300 Jul 1, 2013
number four wrote:
<quoted text>Don't be absurd "Bob of Quantum-Faith" is not a carpenter ...!
Wrong. I'm actually a quite accomplished carpenter. I just do not do it for a living.
number four wrote:
Jesus came for the Jews (correct) but, He enjoined His disciples to go to the four corners and spread the good news ..
Spread the news To the Jews-- and to the Jews only. Anyone who wished to follow Jewsus?

Had to convert to being a Jew. Including that little snip-snip that so delights the Jew-god.

I wonder what Jew-god is saving up all those foreskins for?

A giant purse?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10301 Jul 1, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
It's spelled Jesus, you ignorant calorie-free vegetable.
But by me spelling it Jewsus?

It REMINDS you that first and foremost? Your Jewsus was a Jew.

He came TO the Jews. He commanded everyone who follows his teachings to become a JEW-FIRST.

But you don't follow that command, do you?

It's off to HELL for YOU!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10302 Jul 1, 2013
number four wrote:
<quoted text>...the search for God must primarily use philosophy or careful reasoning ..
Why?

Did you use philosophy or careful reasoning in your quest to fine Santa Claus?

Why not?

They are the same thing...
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#10303 Jul 1, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
But by me spelling it Jewsus?
It REMINDS you that first and foremost? Your Jewsus was a Jew.
He came TO the Jews. He commanded everyone who follows his teachings to become a JEW-FIRST.
But you don't follow that command, do you?
It's off to HELL for YOU!
LOL,godless comedy at its best,cynical and brutally honest.
number four

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#10304 Jul 1, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Who wrote this, the Pope or Jesus?
Matthew 23
8 “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.
..Matthew 'wrote' it ....( Jesus said it )..

use common sense ..."Call no one Father" ...but , what about the man who raised us , surely we call him 'father'..

In the passage Jesus admonishes us to give "no" man the power of life or death over us ...We can die for our country , but not for the president ..

The Pope is a servant , don't you think the Pope wishes he could take a vacation , wear shorts go hunting ,skiing ....???
number four

Las Vegas, NV

#10305 Jul 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Depends on the circumstances, doesn't it?
A smallish bit of greed is quite useful-- it is what motivates most folk to get out of bed, go to a job they don't really like much, in order to make the money they want.
But if greed is all that there is in a person's life? Then, yeah, it becomes bad.
Being obsessed with **anything** is bad, so that's not surprising really.
One reason why Zealots are bad-- they are obsessed.
..I found nothing wrong with this post ...

..(ahem ...are 'you' an Atheistic zealot )..
number four

Las Vegas, NV

#10306 Jul 1, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful reasoning involves proof and evidence - both of which you creationist liar do not have and you know it.
Your cult will fail because you are stupid and arroganteole with no evidence.
You talk about careful reasoning but run like a coward whene asked to prove your god.
Nobody is joining your failed cult, go back to your cult leader and tell them you failed to convert any atheists in the topix forum today through dishonesty.
...proof and evidence ...is 'science'..

How can science prove God , when God transcends the material ....hmmmm..??
number four

Las Vegas, NV

#10307 Jul 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Why?
Did you use philosophy or careful reasoning in your quest to fine Santa Claus?
Why not?
They are the same thing...
..Santa Claus , is only found in some Christians sects ....God transcends time and religions ...

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#10308 Jul 1, 2013
number four wrote:
<quoted text>...proof and evidence ...is 'science'..

How can science prove God , when God transcends the material ....hmmmm..??
Good point!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10309 Jul 1, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL,godless comedy at its best,cynical and brutally honest.
I trust the extreme sarcasm came through all right.

I don't really believe that there is anything beyond death; plenty of proof that memory cannot survive the brain's demise.

Without memory? We really aren't there.

So if there is a soul?(highly doubtful) It does not preserve memory, so who cares?

;)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10310 Jul 1, 2013
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..Matthew 'wrote' it ....( Jesus said it )..
Matthew didn't write that, silly-- 3 generations after the alleged events, someone posting as "matthew" wrote it.

From vocal legends and word-of-mouth myths.

You know: friend-of-a-friend gossip.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10311 Jul 1, 2013
number four wrote:
..(ahem ...are 'you' an Atheistic zealot )..
Nope.

All you need to do? To make me **not** an atheist?

Is show me something that only a **god** could do-- and did.

That's it.

Unlike **you***???

I am quite willing to change my mind-- if you have evidence.

In contrast to YOU:-- you have lots of evidence-- all of which you DENY-DENY-DENY.

So who's the zealot again?

That's right...

... you are-- for you deny actual reality itself, to maintain your zealous beliefs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 min Eagle 12 - 78,706
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 23 min Eagle 12 - 1,411
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 hr Regolith Based Li... 32,454
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... Aug 12 Eagle 12 - 1,152
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web