Atheism and cowardice

Nov 18, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Conservapedia

Have any of the New Atheists toured [[Islam]]ic countries giving lectures in which they condemn [[Allah]], [[Muhammad]], Islam, or Muslims? Have any of them debated Muslims in Islamic countries? Have any of them been interviewed on Al Jazeera? Have any of them written entire books in which they condemn Allah, Muhammad, Islam, or Muslims? Have they ... (more)

Comments
9,041 - 9,060 of 12,667 Comments Last updated Mar 22, 2014

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said these are impossible?
I never did-- well, apart from cold fusion, that appears to be highly unlikely, if not impossible.
As for the rest? Who knows?
But I do know your godling, as described in the ugly bible?
That?
That **is** impossible-- the present universe proves this billions of times a second.
In the quantum world of matter, there **must** be uncertainty to make the Universe work.
Your bible describes an "all knowing god". That would ELIMINATE the required uncertainty-- and the universe would COLLAPSE.
... ergo, your god is impossible.
..Not if God is constantly sustaining the cosmos ..

He is 'more' than a watch maker God ..He is deeply involved with His creation..

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

number four wrote:
<quoted text>..Because 'again' you forget what happens when atheists take political power ...that is the true horror ..
When Christians take political power you get the dark ages

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
If children are forced to take science classes, which they are, and no counter argument to evolution is allowed to be taught, then isn't that force-indoctrinating children into Atheism? If evolution is taught, there could at least be the possibility that it could reflect intelligent design that should be mentioned as well. To me, that should be the minimum, or else it is forced-indoctrination.
Creationism/ID isn't science and evolution isn't atheism

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought that religion can't be taught in public schools? If you mean the teaching of creationism, I agree that it is not part of a science education and should be taught separately in a different class. But if there is a class that teaches evolution, then there should be another class that teaches creationism as well, and let the person themselves decide.
Garbage. First, we simply do not have the time in a school year to even cover the basics, let alone some quack theories. Second, we don't say that we should teach geocentrism in addition to heliocentrism and let people decide between the two.
I actually believe in evolution, but I also see it as intelligent design, so I fall down the middle on that issue. And what are you worried about even if creationism is taught side by side in the same class as evolution anyway? If creationism is as silly as you think, then people will naturally reject it anyway, right? So let evolution stand up to counter scrutiny, and it should be fine, right?
Not necessarily. It isn't so easy to show the evidence against geocentrism, for example. It requires difficult calculations and actual observations over long periods of time. That is simply inappropriate in a high school classroom.

The same is the case for evolution vs creationism. There is simply no *scientific* debate between these ideas. The ideas have been countered in the scientific arena over a century ago. But the detailed arguments require more than is possible in a high school setting where other things of higher priority have to be covered. Covering the details of dating methods, comparative anatomy, comparative genetics, paleontology, geology, etc simply cannot be done effectively in even an undergraduate course at a university, let alone in a high school. It would be *way* beyond the students as well as a waste of time and money.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
If children are forced to take science classes, which they are, and no counter argument to evolution is allowed to be taught, then isn't that force-indoctrinating children into Atheism?
No, it is not. At worst it is force-feeding science. But that is exactly the goal of a science class. You seem to ignore the point that many people who acknowledge the fact of evolution are also theists (Francis Collins is a great example). SO teaching evolution is certainly NOT teaching atheism.
If evolution is taught, there could at least be the possibility that it could reflect intelligent design that should be mentioned as well. To me, that should be the minimum, or else it is forced-indoctrination.
Clearly wrong. Once again, even theists who are scientists will tell you that ID is garbage. Once again, there is simply no *scientific* debate about this issue. And, if there is no scientific debate, the *political* debate should not appear in the science classroom. Even if there were a scientific debate, it is quite possible that because of time restrictions, it should not appear in the high school classroom.

Guess what? If you want to teach science, you will offend a few people. That's because the results of science frequently go against the cherished ideas people hold. In a *science* classroom, only the science should be relevant, not the tender feelings of those who disagree without evidence.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

number four wrote:
<quoted text>there is a personal judgment at the moment of death ..and..a general judgement where everything will be revealed to everyone ...( that's going to be the, embarrassing one )..
So people get brought back out of hell, so everyone else can know just who did and who didn't kiss ass well? Yeah, yippee, just what you want, huh? You need the satisfaction of seeing your neighbor, your lousy cousin, and your grandmother in the line coming up from hell? Imagine your surprise and embarassment when you are forced to join them.

Ha, ha, that any living human thinks they will evade death is ludicrous, that they think that they will skate past the "all bastards burn" buybull clause is impossible. If the buybull god is real, then 99.999999% of all humans will burn because there is a bastard in their family's linage.
Seeker

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Creationism/ID isn't science and evolution isn't atheism
Well what is belief in God without the notion of an intelligent creator? What else is left but Atheism?
Seeker

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>So people get brought back out of hell, so everyone else can know just who did and who didn't kiss ass well? Yeah, yippee, just what you want, huh? You need the satisfaction of seeing your neighbor, your lousy cousin, and your grandmother in the line coming up from hell? Imagine your surprise and embarassment when you are forced to join them.
Ha, ha, that any living human thinks they will evade death is ludicrous, that they think that they will skate past the "all bastards burn" buybull clause is impossible. If the buybull god is real, then 99.999999% of all humans will burn because there is a bastard in their family's linage.
I never did like it when someone tells another person they are going to hell. It's rude and very unkind. If there's a God, leave that decision up to God and don't even talk about it at all. And Christians are supposed to pray for Atheists, not get in their face and tell them that they are going to hell.

I know some Atheists who can often be more kind, moral and considerate than some Theists that I know. I think good deeds from an Atheist are often more commendable than good deeds from a Theist, because the Atheist is not trying to assure themselves some ticket to heaven, they are merely doing it out of kindness. That's not to say that they have no reward at all in the back of their minds. Their reward is to live up to an ideal that they have created for themselves for whatever reason have to create that. But that's certainly not as big of a reward as a ticket to heaven. So I see kindness from an Atheist as more pure, even though it's not fully pure in either case.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Well what is belief in God without the notion of an intelligent creator? What else is left but Atheism?
First, creationism, as it appears in the US today, is the doctrine the Earth is less than 10,000 years old and is based on Biblical literalism.

Second, ID is the idea that there is an intelligent creator, but it provides no testable predictions. In other words, it is not science.

The point is that science has little to say about whether there is an intelligent creator of the universe: it can produce some boundaries based on observation, but the raw belief that there is an intelligence that designed the universe is irrelevant to science until it can make specific predictions. That is why it is possible for theists to understand that evolution happened while still believing that the whole process was intelligently set-up. Francis Collins, for example, is an evangelical christian. But he is also a very vocal opponent of the creationist/ID crowd.

Don't confuse creationism/ID with all of theism.
Seeker

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
First, creationism, as it appears in the US today, is the doctrine the Earth is less than 10,000 years old and is based on Biblical literalism.
Second, ID is the idea that there is an intelligent creator, but it provides no testable predictions. In other words, it is not science.
The point is that science has little to say about whether there is an intelligent creator of the universe: it can produce some boundaries based on observation, but the raw belief that there is an intelligence that designed the universe is irrelevant to science until it can make specific predictions.
I agree, I was more talking about how people use this information. One can easily say, hah hah, there's no God because evolution is a scientific fact.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is why it is possible for theists to understand that evolution happened while still believing that the whole process was intelligently set-up. Francis Collins, for example, is an evangelical christian. But he is also a very vocal opponent of the creationist/ID crowd.
Don't confuse creationism/ID with all of theism.
I don't really, it's just how people use it that is the problem. Believe it or not, from what I remember, Darwin still believed in God. He was merely a scientist that made observations and reported them and stopped there. That's what a good scientist does. Most of the best scientist are actually agnostic, rather than Atheist.

“Not only is the Universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think.”
&#8213; Werner Heisenberg, Across the Frontiers

“The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.”
&#8213; Werner Heisenberg

“In the history of science, ever since the famous trial of Galileo, it has repeatedly been claimed that scientific truth cannot be reconciled with the religious interpretation of the world. Although I an now convinced that scientific truth is unassailable in its own field, I have never found it possible to dismiss the content of religious thinking as simply part of an outmoded phase in the consciousness of mankind, a part we shall have to give up from now on, Thus in the course of my life I have repeatedly been compelled to ponder on the relationship of these two regions of though, for I have never been able to doubt the reality of that to which they point.”
&#8213; Werner Heisenberg

I personally think that it DOES point to an intelligent creator in the following respect. I am a software designer and as such, I could be said to be a creator. A creator of applications. If I were to create a game like the Sims, I would not want to bother to create thousands of characters (classes in software dev), if that's what the game required. Instead, it would be much more efficient of me to create my code so that a few or maybe 10 characters themselves create more characters that keep evolving into different forms of characters based on my initial algorithms. If I were really good, I could predict how the game would turn out and what characters would be created and what they would be like. and I could watch my code operate right in front of me with much fascination and joy. And eventually, if my code was well thought out, I would end up with the exact characters that I thought I would, and in that respect I DID design them, only I did so indirectly. In the meantime, I never had to lift a finger to create these characters or code them and painstakingly create thousands of classes, my software would do it for me. All I have to do it to click a button to get it to start executing.

That is the efficiency that a good software developer would seek and the approach that he or she would take, if possible.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see the force. do they force them to pray?
Yes. If you do not follow along like a sheep/slave? You get punished.

Some kids get beaten. Other kids get ostracized--which for a kid, is worse than a beating.

But the worse sort of force, is adults talking DOWN to the kids "explaining" why they MUST COMPLY.

It is how they are assimilated.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Seeker wrote:
Well that is part of the original constitution, so if you want to have the constitution amended against it's original spirit, then so be it.
Bullshit. Cite the actual PART that says churches get a FREE RIDE TAX FREE.

I've looked at the whole thing (it's not that long).

NO WERE DO CHURCHES GET TAX FREE RIDE, AND OWN HUGE CHUNKS OF LAND/ASSETS/BUSINESSES -- ALL TAX FREE.

This has to stop.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Seeker wrote:
Laws are created by Congress and must pass the scrutiny of the courts and the constitution. And religion is not allowed to be a factor in making these decisions except where the original constitution allows for it, and the original constitution allows for religious freedom, which is something you want to deny people.
But congress cow-tows to the religious HATE-GROUPS.

Proof?

There is NO non-religious reason to NOT allow marriage equality.

But here it is, 2013, and we STILL have states where it's illegal for same-sex couples to marry.

BECAUSE OF RELIGION.

There are other hate-laws, passed because of hatecults.

Do you want a list?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Seeker wrote:
Well, I think that issue is a heck of a lot larger than that. But out of curiosity, who do you think should have been President?
Obama was the least-worst of a lot of horrid choices. At least he is only centrist, instead of an Uber-Richt-Religitard, like most of the other offerings.

Mittens was one of the worst of the worst-- fortunately, he lost.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought that religion can't be taught in public schools?
Get real. There are religitard- "teachers" who still, quietly and on the sly, teach creatin-isim.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Seeker wrote:
But let me clarify my stance a little more. I do not believe in classroom prayer because an Ateist child has no choice whether to be in that class or not. But I see nothing wrong with prayer during voluntary activities if that's what they want to do, or even public prayer or public display of religious things. As long as someone is not forced to look at something or forced to be in a place where that is taking place. People are allowed to say whatever they want, and if I don't like it, i can either ignore it or walk away.
Prayer by **individuals**, in public schools, has been upheld by the US Supreme Court since the beginning.

It's still quite legal-- as it SHOULD be-- freedom OF religion as well as freedom FROM religion.

No one is talking about prohibiting that right.

I was talking about forced attendance to **church** which assimilates the defenseless children into the CULT.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

number four wrote:
<quoted text>..yup..you got the 'paranoia' poor soul ....Mother Teresa's page ; does include the controversies ... Where she got donations from , lack of professional care ..etc..
Good. But I doubt it goes far enough into the ugly truth.

Teresa was a horrid creature-- uncaring, a monster.

She **literally** thought that people suffering and DYING was "glory to Jewsus".

That is just SICK.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

number four wrote:
<quoted text>..Because 'again' you forget what happens when Atheists take political power ...that is the true horror ..
You have an **EXAMPLE** of that?

I do-- it's in Sweden, Australia, Switzerland to name 3.

Guess what?

Crime per person in those countries is MUCH-MUCH LOWER than here in the Theocratic USA.

So I fail to see this ... "true horror" you whine of.

I bet you are thinking if the Genuine Catholic™, Hitler...right? He was a Theist-- just like YOU.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

number four wrote:
<quoted text>It's the character of the man 'not' the training he receives ; some priests turned out to be monsters ..
Yes.

100% proof that there is NO GODS BEHIND ANY PRIEST--EVER.

What sort of god would have suffered the likes of Stalin to live?

Certainly not a GOOD god!

And don't give me that bullshit "free will" -- that is pure-D crap.

The bible's god CLEARLY ignored it--- pretty much 100% of the time, too.

You want some examples? The easiest is the Moses vs the Pharaoh-- poor Pharaoh did not GET a choice-- he was FORCED by bible-god.

There are numerous others-- one of the best of the worst, is a group of boys, who taunted one of bible-gods' "holy" men, calling him baldy and such -- and bible-god sends a bear to MURDER THE YOUNG BOYS. Did they get free will? Nope-- they weren't even of age!

There's more examples-- so free will is a bullshit excuse.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

number four wrote:
<quoted text>..Not if God is constantly sustaining the cosmos ..
How? You have an example? Some PROOF? No?

Then you are just spewing bullshit.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

21 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min CunningLinguist 224,684
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 15 min Reason Personified 33
Our world came from nothing? 31 min Reason Personified 267
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 40 min Patrick 21,412
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Moonie 854
Atheists on the march in America (Aug '09) 1 hr John 70,967
Talking some sense into you people... 2 hr religionisillness 30
•••
•••