Atheism and cowardice

There are 20 comments on the Conservapedia story from Nov 18, 2011, titled Atheism and cowardice. In it, Conservapedia reports that:

Have any of the New Atheists toured [[Islam]]ic countries giving lectures in which they condemn [[Allah]], [[Muhammad]], Islam, or Muslims? Have any of them debated Muslims in Islamic countries? Have any of them been interviewed on Al Jazeera? Have any of them written entire books in which they condemn Allah, Muhammad, Islam, or Muslims? Have they ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Conservapedia.

Lincoln

United States

#8255 Apr 24, 2013
Epistemology questions what knowledge is, how it is acquired, and the possible extent to which a given subject or entity can be known.

Know-it-alls reject limitation on their knowledge?

Is this a problem?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#8256 Apr 25, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists are positive that there is no afterlife
yet they spend that only life on threads,
Irony
Full of sh*t theist troll with no proof of god.

Location hidden

#8257 Apr 25, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
Epistemology questions what knowledge is, how it is acquired, and the possible extent to which a given subject or entity can be known.
Know-it-alls reject limitation on their knowledge?
Is this a problem?
Lincoln = a coward who can't prove his god and doesn't know when to troll the f*ck off.
Lincoln

United States

#8258 Apr 25, 2013
Atheist Forum
A thread claiming to represent free speech and fairness for Atheists and everyone else but they will insult you the first chance they can get.

The first chance usually occurs after you start disagreeing with them, and proving them wrong in everything they believe in.

No proof of atheism, scientific or in philosophy.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#8259 Apr 25, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
Atheist Forum
A thread claiming to represent free speech and fairness for Atheists and everyone else but they will insult you the first chance they can get.
The first chance usually occurs after you start disagreeing with them, and proving them wrong in everything they believe in.
Yet we exist, so I would say you are wrong.... again.
Libertarian

London, UK

#8260 Apr 25, 2013
Atheists may want to take a little more care with their lives as it is their one and only.

Believers in an afterlife should be impatient to die if they deep down truly believe.

There may be no ahteist in a fox-hole but there are no believers running from the bullets or bombs.

If you truly believed you would want to die as soon as possible wouldn't you.

Believers are the cowards as they want there to be a loving deity looking our for you, you want there to be a purpose and meanint to your life. you're so scared of oblivion you prefer to believe in heaven.

When I die I will be nothing. I am not scared of that just as I wasn't scared before I was born. Oblivion is comforting. I don't need your god. My life has no purpose but the one I choose.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#8261 Apr 25, 2013
Libertarian wrote:
Atheists may want to take a little more care with their lives as it is their one and only.
Believers in an afterlife should be impatient to die if they deep down truly believe.
There may be no ahteist in a fox-hole but there are no believers running from the bullets or bombs.
Believers are the cowards as they want there to be a loving deity looking our for you, you want there to be a purpose and meanint to your life. you're so scared of oblivion you prefer to believe in heaven.
When I die I will be nothing. I am not scared of that just as I wasn't scared before I was born. Oblivion is comforting. I don't need your god. My life has no purpose but the one I choose.
Good, apart from the no atheists in foxhole myth.

:)

Here: " http://militaryatheists.org/atheists-in-foxho... ;
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#8262 Apr 25, 2013
I've picked Lincoln up on that before. He's not very sharp.
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet we exist, so I would say you are wrong.... again.

Location hidden

#8263 Apr 25, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
Atheist Forum
Lincoln = a defeated theist liar who can't prove his god and attacks atheists because he lacks intelligence or evidence.
Lincoln

United States

#8264 Apr 25, 2013
THE VILLAGE ATHEIST SYNDROME

In psychiatric terms, some humanists suffer from a dysphoria, a dysphoria which we have named the "Village Atheist Syndrome." The term village atheist is not a new one and has often been used in the past in both fictional and non-fictional works to describe the non&#8209;believer who manages to proclaim his atheism in small communities made up of devoted and unquestioning atheists. Our use of the term, however, is much broader than this in order to describe a type of humanist or free thinker.

In outward appearances the persons afflicted with the syndrome appear to be no different than anyone else. Most tend to hold respectable positions in society, have the normative family affiliations, and do most of the things that other people of their age or economic condition do. Some of our more sociobiologically oriented colleagues with whom we have discussed the behavior feel that there might well be genetic or be a result of other biological forces but if this is the case, no one to our knowledge has isolated them.

A few psychologists have suggested that the village atheist syndrome could be classed as a form of obsessive compulsive behavior. So far, however, no one has been able to test serotonin levels of any of those we would class as having the syndrome. We ourselves feel that multiple factors are involved and since we are primarily social scientists we tend to look for social and cultural factors. We must admit, however, that we have arrived at such conclusions through participant observer studies rather than any rigorous testing.
Lincoln

United States

#8265 Apr 25, 2013
Early Symptoms and Progressive Stages of
V A S

Perhaps the most obvious symptom is an inability to compromise, to get along with others. This is first noticed in board meetings of humanist and free thought groups where the village atheist is attempting to get his/her way. We should state that though the condition most frequently appears in males, when females present with it they seem to get a more severe case. Obviously if it has any genetic source, it must be carried on one portion of an x chromosome and is a recessive trait in females where it can be overshadowed by the genetic inheritance on the paired x chromosome unless it too carries it. It, however, would be dominant in males because it is not carried on the y chromosome. Whether this explanation has any validity is certainly unproven, and we offer it not as a hypothesis but only as an interesting possibility which might explain why women with the syndrome suffer such severe dysphoria.

Since we first observed the symptoms, we have come to believe that for those with a tendency towards the behavior, can be most easily diagnosed at board or other meetings of humanist and free thought groups. Apparently when the individuals with a proclivity for the syndrome find themselves among what they had believed to be like-minded free thinkers, they are both shocked and appalled to find that others disagree with them, often on major issues. This disagreement is marked by what can be only called anti-social behavior, a clear mark of the village atheist syndrome. In order to get their way they nit-pick everything to death, and if outvoted at one meeting will come back at the next and start over again. We should add that the condition is not only common in humanist and free thought groups, but a similar phenomenon exists in many Unitarian&#8209;Universali st congregations. Obviously the Unitarian&#8209; Universalist example represents a closely-related syndrome, although the initiating cause is different, and thus it has to be distinguished from the village atheist syndrome. The existence of a similar behavior in the two syndromes, however, would give some further evidence to the possible genetic influence on the behavior.

Location hidden

#8266 Apr 25, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
Early Symptoms and Progressive Stages of
V A S
Perhaps the most obvious symptom is an inability to compromise, to get along with others. This is first noticed in board meetings of humanist and free thought groups where the village atheist is attempting to get his/her way. We should state that though the condition most frequently appears in males, when females present with it they seem to get a more severe case. Obviously if it has any genetic source, it must be carried on one portion of an x chromosome and is a recessive trait in females where it can be overshadowed by the genetic inheritance on the paired x chromosome unless it too carries it. It, however, would be dominant in males because it is not carried on the y chromosome. Whether this explanation has any validity is certainly unproven, and we offer it not as a hypothesis but only as an interesting possibility which might explain why women with the syndrome suffer such severe dysphoria.
Since we first observed the symptoms, we have come to believe that for those with a tendency towards the behavior, can be most easily diagnosed at board or other meetings of humanist and free thought groups. Apparently when the individuals with a proclivity for the syndrome find themselves among what they had believed to be like-minded free thinkers, they are both shocked and appalled to find that others disagree with them, often on major issues. This disagreement is marked by what can be only called anti-social behavior, a clear mark of the village atheist syndrome. In order to get their way they nit-pick everything to death, and if outvoted at one meeting will come back at the next and start over again. We should add that the condition is not only common in humanist and free thought groups, but a similar phenomenon exists in many Unitarian&#8209;Universali st congregations. Obviously the Unitarian&#8209; Universalist example represents a closely-related syndrome, although the initiating cause is different, and thus it has to be distinguished from the village atheist syndrome. The existence of a similar behavior in the two syndromes, however, would give some further evidence to the possible genetic influence on the behavior.
More horsesh*t from the full of sh*t creationist with no proof of god.
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#8267 Apr 25, 2013
You didn't post your source for this satire.
Lincoln wrote:
THE VILLAGE ATHEIST SYNDROME
In psychiatric terms, some humanists suffer from a dysphoria, a dysphoria which we have named the "Village Atheist Syndrome." The term village atheist is not a new one and has often been used in the past in both fictional and non-fictional works to describe the non&#8209;believer who manages to proclaim his atheism in small communities made up of devoted and unquestioning atheists. Our use of the term, however, is much broader than this in order to describe a type of humanist or free thinker.
In outward appearances the persons afflicted with the syndrome appear to be no different than anyone else. Most tend to hold respectable positions in society, have the normative family affiliations, and do most of the things that other people of their age or economic condition do. Some of our more sociobiologically oriented colleagues with whom we have discussed the behavior feel that there might well be genetic or be a result of other biological forces but if this is the case, no one to our knowledge has isolated them.
A few psychologists have suggested that the village atheist syndrome could be classed as a form of obsessive compulsive behavior. So far, however, no one has been able to test serotonin levels of any of those we would class as having the syndrome. We ourselves feel that multiple factors are involved and since we are primarily social scientists we tend to look for social and cultural factors. We must admit, however, that we have arrived at such conclusions through participant observer studies rather than any rigorous testing.
Lincoln

United States

#8269 Apr 25, 2013
It is a natural reaction for some. I grew up in Manhattan, and September 11th, 2001 was the second day of my senior year of high school.

Though I didn't believe in God at the time, I found myself saying, "God bless you" to my friends as we parted ways that day, and in the days that followed.

That faint, involuntary urge to call on God's name soon grew into a desire to read His word and then a hunger for friendships with people who believed in Him.

Two years later, I said out loud what I knew in my heart was true: "I am a Christian."
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#8270 Apr 25, 2013
Alibi?
Lincoln wrote:
It is a natural reaction for some. I grew up in Manhattan, and September 11th, 2001 was the second day of my senior year of high school.
Though I didn't believe in God at the time, I found myself saying, "God bless you" to my friends as we parted ways that day, and in the days that followed.
That faint, involuntary urge to call on God's name soon grew into a desire to read His word and then a hunger for friendships with people who believed in Him.
Two years later, I said out loud what I knew in my heart was true: "I am a Christian."

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#8271 Apr 25, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I've picked Lincoln up on that before. He's not very sharp.
<quoted text>
As sharp as a bowling ball.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#8272 Apr 25, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
As sharp as a bowling ball.
Only a bowling ball can be ... useful.

In contrast to ...

<snerk>

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#8273 Apr 25, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. I passed 70,000 posts, and I missed that milestone.
:)
:(
I missed my 10,000th.

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#8274 Apr 26, 2013
Libertarian wrote:
Oblivion "would" actually be nice ...but, the really brave understand .."We are held responsible for how we live our lives !"

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#8275 Apr 26, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>:(
I missed my 10,000th.
So, another Memorial ...I wonder do these strike you to the core of your little black heart ??...You.... want so much to believe "faith" is an aberration , and yet, everybody turns to God in a time of crisis ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Thinking 6,708
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Chimney1 18,887
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr Rosa_Winkel 238,437
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 8 hr spellmeout 14,657
News .com | What hope is there without God? 11 hr Amused 2
News Confessions of a black atheist 11 hr thetruth 478
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 11 hr thetruth 2,099
More from around the web