Unelectable Atheists: U.S. States Tha...

Unelectable Atheists: U.S. States That Prohibit Godless Americans From Holding Public Office

There are 80 comments on the www.americanhumanist.org story from May 25, 2012, titled Unelectable Atheists: U.S. States That Prohibit Godless Americans From Holding Public Office. In it, www.americanhumanist.org reports that:

With election season upon us, and a near constant stream of public jabs and rebuttals between incumbents and their challengers, we should focus on something besides the Americans that are running for office. Instead, let’s turn our attention to a rather peculiar set of state laws relating to elections and nonreligious Americans.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.americanhumanist.org.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#21 May 27, 2012
Dread Scott wrote:
Somebody needs to tell Cecil Bothwell that he is not wanted in North Carolina because he hates God and is an atheist.
Nope, I want him for president. Hmm, this could happen. Thanks for letting us know who to pressure into running for the next election, and who to tell the electorates to vote for.

President Bothwell, has a nice ring to it as well.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#22 May 27, 2012
Oh, and Bothwell is a christian, Mr. Scott.
http://bothwell2012.com/beliefs/

You fundies just have no idea how to even use a search engine, do you?

Since: Jan 12

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

#23 May 27, 2012
Khatru wrote:
If any of those religious freaks are blacks it may be worth reminding them that their ancestors were kept in slavery by slave traders who tried to justify denying them equal rights by quoting their bibles.
Ironic or what?
Actually black people in America support gay marriage more than whites.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/20...

Notably among groups, 59 percent of African-Americans in this survey express support for gay marriage - up from 41 percent in combined ABC/Post polls this spring and last summer. Likewise, 65 percent support Obama's new position on the issue. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People announced its support for gay marriage last weekend.

Fewer whites, 46 percent, approve of Obama's announcement, and 50 percent support gay marriage - numerically (albeit not statistically significantly) the fewest since 2010.

#24 May 27, 2012
Khatru wrote:
We finally got shot of those blasphemy laws in 2008 - talk about an anachronism!
We take a long time to finally get around to changing things. Witchcraft was still illegal as recently as 1951.
Good. Now all you got to do wit abolish the state church in England and the monarchy.

#25 May 27, 2012
Khatru wrote:
Whoops! Nearly missed this.
Yes, I know there are lots of Americans who have ditched their religion or never really got suckered into it in the first place.
Ps. Love the name
Yeah I was raised religious but never really took it seriously. At the age of 19 I become an outright atheist.

Thanks. Here's who I'm named after.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Tyler

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#26 May 27, 2012
Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually black people in America support gay marriage more than whites.
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/20...
Notably among groups, 59 percent of African-Americans in this survey express support for gay marriage - up from 41 percent in combined ABC/Post polls this spring and last summer. Likewise, 65 percent support Obama's new position on the issue. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People announced its support for gay marriage last weekend.
Fewer whites, 46 percent, approve of Obama's announcement, and 50 percent support gay marriage - numerically (albeit not statistically significantly) the fewest since 2010.
While this is hopeful, I don't put much weight on polls. Though from what I have seen the assertion is accurate. Most of the black people I talk to don't really see why it bothers anyone. Many have even openly equated it to the civil rights movement of black Americans in the past. Looks like NOM's and other hate organizations failed to turn this into a race war after all.

Since: Apr 08

Corby, UK

#27 May 27, 2012
Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
Good. Now all you got to do wit abolish the state church in England and the monarchy.
Ah, that'll probably happen in a few more centuries.

It's all meaningless and is seen by the greater public at large as little more than silly pomp and ceremony. Tourists love it, though - so it has its uses.

I'm kind of glad that we have our state religion because I think that in its own way it helped keep us from the rampant Christianity that now exists in the US.

Corby, UK

#28 May 27, 2012
Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I was raised religious but never really took it seriously. At the age of 19 I become an outright atheist.
Thanks. Here's who I'm named after.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Tyler
You're welcome

I knew about Wat Tyler - that's why I liked your choice of name.

#29 May 27, 2012
Khatru wrote:
You're welcome
I knew about Wat Tyler - that's why I liked your choice of name.
My boyfriend who likes English history came up with the name for topix.
Nicole I Dance

Weaverville, NC

#30 May 27, 2012
Khatru wrote:
America is supposed to be civilised?
Oh, how foolish of you.

#31 May 27, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
While this is hopeful, I don't put much weight on polls. Though from what I have seen the assertion is accurate. Most of the black people I talk to don't really see why it bothers anyone. Many have even openly equated it to the civil rights movement of black Americans in the past. Looks like NOM's and other hate organizations failed to turn this into a race war after all.
Polls in North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Maryland have shown the same thing. They can't all be wrong. I think there has been a vast shift on the issue since Obama revealed he supported marriage equality

My gay boyfriend is black himself btw.

#32 May 27, 2012
Khatru wrote:
I'm kind of glad that we have our state religion because I think that in its own way it helped keep us from the rampant Christianity that now exists in the US.
Depends on which areas you live in USA. Religiosity ranges from state to state. For example New England is extremely secular/non-religious. Same for western US states. My state of Pennsylvania isn't really religious either. Even in the bible belt there are some secular bastions such as Austin Texas.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#33 May 27, 2012
Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
Polls in North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Maryland have shown the same thing. They can't all be wrong. I think there has been a vast shift on the issue since Obama revealed he supported marriage equality
My gay boyfriend is black himself btw.
Well, there are inherent flaws with almost all polls, but let's not get into that. ;) As I said, I believe the assertion because personal experience supports it.
Elamite

Weaverville, NC

#34 May 27, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Aaah, do we scare you.
Also, nice sentiment, but I'm asexual, not lesbian.
A lot of ugly people claim that they are asexual to make up for the fact that a dog would not even play with them in spite of a steak being tied around their neck.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#35 May 27, 2012
Elamite wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot of ugly people claim that they are asexual to make up for the fact that a dog would not even play with them in spite of a steak being tied around their neck.
Did you ever stop to think that we may just use our least flattering images so perverts like you don't flirt with us, send us disgusting sexual advanced in private messages, or consider us as property because your ego is too big?

Of course you didn't, you are so narrow minded you can only consider your viewpoint as correct. You probably cannot even comprehend what not having a sex drive is like, you are probably controlled entirely by your hormones and too busy looking for your next sexual encounter to even have the opportunity to learn more than you did during your two years of homeschooling.

Corby, UK

#36 May 27, 2012
Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends on which areas you live in USA. Religiosity ranges from state to state. For example New England is extremely secular/non-religious. Same for western US states. My state of Pennsylvania isn't really religious either. Even in the bible belt there are some secular bastions such as Austin Texas.
Some things surprise me, though.

Didn't California outlaw gay marriage a few years ago? I always though they were pretty forward-thinking out there.

Corby, UK

#37 May 27, 2012
Nicole I Dance wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, how foolish of you.
What?

Foolish for thinking America is civilised?

Yes, I guess you're right.

Corby, UK

#38 May 27, 2012
Elamite wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus wouldn't approve of you.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#39 May 27, 2012
Nicole I Dance wrote:
Here are four heathen lesbian atheists posting one after another. Way cool turdettes wouldn't you say?
LOL! Way to go, tell me you are running for congress aren't you. You are "SO" qualified!

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#40 May 27, 2012
Dread Scott wrote:
Somebody needs to tell Cecil Bothwell that he is not wanted in North Carolina because he hates God and is an atheist.
You did say he is atheist? Then he doesn't hate god any more than he hates the Easter bunny. Do you hate the Easter bunny? Do you hate the Roman, Greek and Polynesian gods? The atheist doesn't, but I'd bet you do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 1 min yehoshooah adam 3,775
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min Aura Mytha 69,863
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 1 hr The Wheeze of Trump 415
News Atheism and cowardice (Nov '11) 2 hr superwilly 12,672
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Into The Night 30,080
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 6 hr superwilly 579
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 22 hr Eagle 12 258,469
More from around the web